This article is sponsored by Planet Friendly Pest Control.
There are few household pests that create more concern and worry than termites. The amount of damage to your home can be catastrophic and the amount of effort it can take to control them can be quite involved.
The only species of termite we currently have in Alexandria is the Eastern Subterranean Termite. Because these termites live underground, spotting them during the winter can be extremely difficult.
Many pests die out, or become significantly less active, during the winter months. So, with cold weather approaching, you might think you are safe from worrying about termites for a while.
But is that true? Do termites die out or go dormant during the cold months? Or are they still an active pest concern?
Termites in winter
The short answer, unfortunately, is no. Termites do not die out during the winter months. In fact, they can remain quite active during this time.The long answeris a little bit more complicated, though.
It may sound like a contradiction, but termites can be killed by cold weather. Termites are cold-blooded insects, meaning that they require warmth to survive. Termites that are exposed to the outside cold for long enough will die.
This leads to a bit of a conundrum. The warm conditions of your house during the winter makes it an ideal place for termites to hold up to survive the cold winter months.
Termites can become even more dangerous during the cold months. Not only are they attracted to the warmth of your home, but they tend to burrow deeper into the wood structure to maintain this warmth. This can make them harder to spot and it can also result in increased damage to your home.
So how do you deal with termites during the winter? You cannot just turn your heat off and freeze them out, for obvious reasons. But if the warmth of your home is good for termites, what can you do?
If you have termites, the best thing to do is to get aprofessional termite treatment. Subterranean termites are persistent, which can make them difficult pests to eliminate from your home. Treating them requires getting termiticide in the ground around the foundation of your home. There are several methods that include liquids, foams and solid baits. Some are better than others and it is important to take a little bit of time to research and understand the various treatment options that are available. Choosing the best treatment method for your specific situation is important. A professional inspector is also another good resource and often it helps to get more than one professional opinion.
Professional termite treatment is the only way to guarantee that your house is cleared of termites after an infestation. Proper termite inspections and control measures will keep these homewreckers out of your house during the cold winter months.
Read this article:
What happens to termites in Alexandria during the winter? - Alexandria Times
- Tiny and secretive, termites might be in a home for years - Journal Inquirer - July 5th, 2021
- Wet weather has Galveston termites swarming | Local News | The Daily News - Galveston County Daily News - July 5th, 2021
- Francis Kr's latest project brings a termite-inspired design to the Kenyan lowlands - Archinect - July 5th, 2021
- Around the House: Buy the right treated lumber for your next project - Daily Commercial - July 5th, 2021
- After a buggy start, Cleveland retires after more than 20 years as Precinct 4's JP - Abilene Reporter-News - July 5th, 2021
- Swarming termites along the Coast - WXXV News 25 - May 13th, 2021
- Sponsored | Ask David: Detecting termites in tri-cities homes, and more real estate advice - TheRecord.com - May 13th, 2021
- Mayor - News - May 2021 - City of New Orleans Mosquito, Termite and Rodent Control Board to Conduct Adult Mosquito Abatement T - City of New Orleans - May 13th, 2021
- Rain and storms increase Wednesday - WDSU New Orleans - May 13th, 2021
- Community demands answers as to why ceilings are leaking at the newly-renovated South Oak Cliff H.S. - WFAA.com - May 13th, 2021
- The Paradigm Shift of the ADL - The Jewish Voice - May 13th, 2021
- Detecting termites, other wood-destroying insects | News, Sports, Jobs - Warren Tribune Chronicle - April 30th, 2021
- Orkin ranks Alabama city in the top 50 for termites - AL.com - April 30th, 2021
- Termite Infestation Is Increasing, Protection Is Improving Building-Products - Building-Products.com - April 30th, 2021
- Mayor - News - April 2021 - The City of New Orleans Mosquito, Termite and Rodent Control Board to Conduct Adult Mosquito Abateme - City of New Orleans - April 30th, 2021
- Should treated lumber be used inside? - liherald - April 30th, 2021
- Global Termite Treatment Industry Market Report 2020, Forecast Till 2027 By Type, End-use, Geography and Player The Courier - The Courier - April 30th, 2021
- Debt, Deficits, and Bill-Backlogs Could Eat through Illinois' Revenue-Growth like Termites - River Cities Reader - April 30th, 2021
- Did you know that northern tamanduas may eat up to 9,000 insects per day? Candid Animal Cam - Mongabay.com - April 15th, 2021
- Termite Bait System Products Market will touch a new level in upcoming year | DowDuPont, BASF SE, Bayer AG, Sumitomo Chemical Co SoccerNurds -... - April 15th, 2021
- 'Farmhouse Fixer': Jonathan Knight Says Renovating Houses and Performing With NKOTB Have 1 Thing in Common - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - April 15th, 2021
- Some Animals Will Go to Social Distancing Extremes if It Means Keeping The Group Safe - ScienceAlert - March 11th, 2021
- Global Termite Bait Systems Market 2020 Research by Business Analysis, Growth Strategy and Industry Development to 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper... - March 11th, 2021
- On timber and hot potatoes - The Fifth Estate - March 11th, 2021
- Global Termite Control Market Potential Growth, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players- Research Forecasts to 2026 - Just Positivity - March 11th, 2021
- Termite Drug Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players Analysis- BASF SE, Bayer... - March 11th, 2021
- Termite Control Market is Thriving Worldwide with Surprising Transition During 2021-2026 Express Keeper - Express Keeper - February 19th, 2021
- Termites and Mulch Separating Fact From Fiction - Mint Hill Times - February 19th, 2021
- Comprehensive study of Termite Control System Market 2021 New Opportunities and Global Industry Outlook The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - February 19th, 2021
- Problems That Your Pest Control Company Will Help You Deal With - MassNews - February 14th, 2021
- A New Life In The Sun couple's dream of running B&B in Spain in ruins after fire - Staffordshire Live - February 14th, 2021
- Termite Control Services Market is Expected to Hit Big Revenue During 2021-2026 The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - February 14th, 2021
- Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market Report 2020: Size, Trends, Competitive Analysis, Types, Applications, Manufactures And Forecast To 2027 ... - February 14th, 2021
- Global Termite Bait Systems Market by Trends, Dynamic Innovation in Technology and Key Players| Dowdupont, BASF, Bayer, Sumitomo Chemical, Syngenta,... - February 11th, 2021
- Termite Control Market is Expected to Deliver Higher Revenue in Next 5 Years The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - February 7th, 2021
- Edible Insects Market Scope and Price Analysis of Top Manufacturers Profiles 2015 2027 BioFlythec, Insagri, Mealfood Europe, Thailand Unique, Kreca... - February 7th, 2021
- Signs of Termite Infestation | Mississippi State ... - February 4th, 2021
- How Do Termite Mounds Regulate Temperature? - ASME - February 4th, 2021
- Drywood Termite Control: How To Get Rid of Drywood Termites - February 4th, 2021
- Termite Signs - Infestation - Phoenix AZ | Blue Sky Pest ... - February 4th, 2021
- How to identify termites: what do termites look like? - February 4th, 2021
- How to Kill Termites in 7 Easy Steps (Expert Advice ... - February 4th, 2021
- Does homeowners insurance cover termites? - February 4th, 2021
- Selling a House with Active Termites or Past Termite ... - February 4th, 2021
- Epifamily Termitoidae - Termites - BugGuide.Net - February 4th, 2021
- What Do Termites Look Like? - WorldAtlas - February 4th, 2021
- Types of Termites in Singapore | Rentokil Pest Control - February 4th, 2021
- Isoptera 101: The Termite Life Cycle And Castes Explained - February 4th, 2021
- Termite Control: How To Get Rid of Termites | DIY Termite ... - February 4th, 2021
- UPDATE: Uncle Kentang Closes Donations for Ampang Family Living In Termite-Infested House - WORLD OF BUZZ - February 4th, 2021
- Termite Control Market Size, Top Key Players, Applications, Business Statistics, Trends and Forecast 2021-2027 The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv... - February 4th, 2021
- The fart of the larva of this insect can kill six termites - The Courier - February 1st, 2021
- Everything Required for FHA Appraisals: From Home Valuation to Termite Inspection - NextAdvisor - February 1st, 2021
- Carpenter Ants Don't Eat Wood, But You Don't Want Them In Your Home - Texas Standard - January 23rd, 2021
- 2 Exits In A Day. Unfazed Trinamool Says "Couple Of Mugs Of Water..." - NDTV - January 23rd, 2021
- Termite Control Market Size 2021 By Analysis, Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, and Forecasts to 2027 - Jumbo News - January 17th, 2021
- A month on, termite infestation still not cleared from JNU's state-of-the-art lab, claim researchers, JNUSU - EdexLive - January 9th, 2021
- Copper Azoles Market Research : Industry Overview, Market Growth,Top Performing Regions Analysis and Forecast to 2028 | Koppers Inc, Lonza, UFP... - January 9th, 2021
- Termite Control Market Trends & Forecast to 2026- Industry Analysis by Geographical Regions, Type and Application - Factory Gate - January 9th, 2021
- Jennifer Danny | Appreciating the Little Things - Santa Clarita Valley Signal - January 9th, 2021
- There's a new addition at the Miami Zoo: a baby giant anteater - WDJT - December 29th, 2020
- Termite Control Market 2020: COVID19 Impact on Industry Growth, Trends, Top Manufacturer, Regional Analysis and Forecast to 2027 - The Monitor - December 29th, 2020
- Europe pest control market Outlook and Opportunities in Grooming Regions - LionLowdown - December 29th, 2020
- The Kindreds - Boston Review - December 19th, 2020
- Facts of the Matter: Earths atmosphere is filled with a wide variety of gases - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - December 19th, 2020
- Womens inheritance rights - The Express Tribune - December 19th, 2020
- The Critical Mistake Homebuyers Are Making Right Now (and How to Avoid It) - PureWow - December 19th, 2020
- Global Termite Control Products and Services Market Detailed analysis of current Industry figures with forecasts growth by 2028 | Top Players;... - December 19th, 2020
- JNU's termite-infested lab stuck in war between two departments. Who will clear the rot now? - EdexLive - December 15th, 2020
- In the nick of time: Woman, dogs rescued from inferno by Kingsport, Church Hill men - Kingsport Times News - December 15th, 2020
- Home repair services and more with Poplar Home Waterproofing - FOX10 News - December 15th, 2020
- Around Town December 14 - The Republic - December 15th, 2020
- Termite Control Market 2020 | Know the Latest COVID19 Impact Analysis And Strategies of Key Players: , BioAdvanced, BASF, Terminix, Rentokil Initial,... - December 13th, 2020
- Letter: Cooperation is key to beating pandemic - Grand Forks Herald - December 13th, 2020
- Amazing ways insects survive the winter | Lifestyles | somerset-kentucky.com - Commonwealth Journal's History - December 12th, 2020
- Terminix Internship Named to Top 100 Best Internships in America by WayUp - GuruFocus.com - December 12th, 2020
- Termite Baiting Treatments Market Size, Historical Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - AlgosOnline - December 12th, 2020
- 'Echoes of the voice of God': Carpenter Gothic churches rare in Northwest Florida - The Northwest Florida Daily News - December 12th, 2020
- Joint taskforce to be established to tackle termites - FBC News - December 9th, 2020
- A gnawing problem - Midland Express Newspapers - December 9th, 2020