Humans are experts at domesticating other species and our world would be unrecognisable without it. There would be no cities, no supermarkets, and no pets. Domestication is a special kind of cooperative relationship, where one species provides prolonged support in exchange for a predictable resource.
While humans have domesticated various plants and animals, these relationships are surprisingly rare in other species. Its true some insects (ants, beetles, and termites among them) domesticate fungi, but few other examples exist outside the insect world.
In our new study, we describe what appears to be first example of a non-human vertebrate domesticating another animal.
Read more: Listen up: many farmed fish are hard of hearing here's why it matters
On the coral reefs off the coast of Belize, in Central America, longfin damselfish create, manage and feed from algae farms. We noticed they regularly have swarms of tiny crustaceans called mysid shrimps floating above their farms.
We found this unusual, as most farming damselfishes chase away anything that ventures near their farm. We were unsure why these species associated with one another, so we decided to try to find out what was going on.
First, to see whether mysid shrimps and farming damselfish are regularly found together, we ran a series of whats known as transects. In other words, we conducted a series of 30 metre swims along the reef, and during each one we recorded each time we saw mysid shrimps, as well as whether they were near farming damselfish or other fish species.
We found these mysids were far more likely to be found near farming species, like the longfin damselfish, than other species.
Next, we wanted to know if the mysids specifically seek out their damselfish partners.
So, we collected mysid shrimps from the field, brought them into the lab and exposed the mysids to water soaked with different things. For example, do they avoid the smell of a predator? Are they attracted to the smell of a farming damselfish?
We found the mysids shrimps were attracted to the longfin damselfish, repulsed by a predator and indifferent towards a non-farming fish and to the farm itself.
Many fish eat mysid shrimps, so we ran an experiment to see if longfin damselfish provided protection to the mysids when they are in the fishs farm.
To do this, we placed mysid shrimps in a clear plastic bag and placed the bag either inside or outside a farm.
We found that when placed outside a farm, other fish tried to eat the mysid shrimps. When inside the farms, any fish that tried to come close to the bag was chased off by the longfin damselfish. This suggested the mysids seek out longfin damselfish, as they provide mysids with protection from predators.
One question remained: do the mysid shrimps provide a benefit to the longfin damselfish?
Given the damselfish eat the algae they farm, we thought maybe by hovering above the farm, the mysid shrimps waste might act as fertiliser.
To test this, we examined the quality of the algae within farms that did, or did not have mysid shrimps. We also examined the body condition of fish that did, or did not, have mysid shrimps within their farms.
We found farms with shrimps had higher quality algae, and fish from farms with mysid shrimps were in better condition.
These different analyses together suggest longfin damselfish have domesticated mysid shrimps. The longfin damselfish provide a safe refuge, and in exchange the mysid shrimps provide the damselfish with fertiliser for its farm.
This relationship is important, because while fantastic research has provided insight into the history of domestication in our ancestors, these things happened in the distant past.
In the longfin damselfish, we can watch the early stages of domestication occur as its happening.
This is fascinating because its very similar to the proposed series of events that led to our domestication of species such as chickens, cats, dogs and pigs.
Read more: It might be the world's biggest ocean, but the mighty Pacific is in peril
- Tiny and secretive, termites might be in a home for years - Journal Inquirer - July 5th, 2021
- Wet weather has Galveston termites swarming | Local News | The Daily News - Galveston County Daily News - July 5th, 2021
- Francis Kr's latest project brings a termite-inspired design to the Kenyan lowlands - Archinect - July 5th, 2021
- Around the House: Buy the right treated lumber for your next project - Daily Commercial - July 5th, 2021
- After a buggy start, Cleveland retires after more than 20 years as Precinct 4's JP - Abilene Reporter-News - July 5th, 2021
- Swarming termites along the Coast - WXXV News 25 - May 13th, 2021
- Sponsored | Ask David: Detecting termites in tri-cities homes, and more real estate advice - TheRecord.com - May 13th, 2021
- Mayor - News - May 2021 - City of New Orleans Mosquito, Termite and Rodent Control Board to Conduct Adult Mosquito Abatement T - City of New Orleans - May 13th, 2021
- Rain and storms increase Wednesday - WDSU New Orleans - May 13th, 2021
- Community demands answers as to why ceilings are leaking at the newly-renovated South Oak Cliff H.S. - WFAA.com - May 13th, 2021
- The Paradigm Shift of the ADL - The Jewish Voice - May 13th, 2021
- Detecting termites, other wood-destroying insects | News, Sports, Jobs - Warren Tribune Chronicle - April 30th, 2021
- Orkin ranks Alabama city in the top 50 for termites - AL.com - April 30th, 2021
- Termite Infestation Is Increasing, Protection Is Improving Building-Products - Building-Products.com - April 30th, 2021
- Mayor - News - April 2021 - The City of New Orleans Mosquito, Termite and Rodent Control Board to Conduct Adult Mosquito Abateme - City of New Orleans - April 30th, 2021
- Should treated lumber be used inside? - liherald - April 30th, 2021
- Global Termite Treatment Industry Market Report 2020, Forecast Till 2027 By Type, End-use, Geography and Player The Courier - The Courier - April 30th, 2021
- Debt, Deficits, and Bill-Backlogs Could Eat through Illinois' Revenue-Growth like Termites - River Cities Reader - April 30th, 2021
- Did you know that northern tamanduas may eat up to 9,000 insects per day? Candid Animal Cam - Mongabay.com - April 15th, 2021
- Termite Bait System Products Market will touch a new level in upcoming year | DowDuPont, BASF SE, Bayer AG, Sumitomo Chemical Co SoccerNurds -... - April 15th, 2021
- 'Farmhouse Fixer': Jonathan Knight Says Renovating Houses and Performing With NKOTB Have 1 Thing in Common - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - April 15th, 2021
- Some Animals Will Go to Social Distancing Extremes if It Means Keeping The Group Safe - ScienceAlert - March 11th, 2021
- Global Termite Bait Systems Market 2020 Research by Business Analysis, Growth Strategy and Industry Development to 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper... - March 11th, 2021
- On timber and hot potatoes - The Fifth Estate - March 11th, 2021
- Global Termite Control Market Potential Growth, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players- Research Forecasts to 2026 - Just Positivity - March 11th, 2021
- Termite Drug Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players Analysis- BASF SE, Bayer... - March 11th, 2021
- Termite Control Market is Thriving Worldwide with Surprising Transition During 2021-2026 Express Keeper - Express Keeper - February 19th, 2021
- Termites and Mulch Separating Fact From Fiction - Mint Hill Times - February 19th, 2021
- Comprehensive study of Termite Control System Market 2021 New Opportunities and Global Industry Outlook The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - February 19th, 2021
- Problems That Your Pest Control Company Will Help You Deal With - MassNews - February 14th, 2021
- A New Life In The Sun couple's dream of running B&B in Spain in ruins after fire - Staffordshire Live - February 14th, 2021
- Termite Control Services Market is Expected to Hit Big Revenue During 2021-2026 The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - February 14th, 2021
- Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market Report 2020: Size, Trends, Competitive Analysis, Types, Applications, Manufactures And Forecast To 2027 ... - February 14th, 2021
- Global Termite Bait Systems Market by Trends, Dynamic Innovation in Technology and Key Players| Dowdupont, BASF, Bayer, Sumitomo Chemical, Syngenta,... - February 11th, 2021
- Termite Control Market is Expected to Deliver Higher Revenue in Next 5 Years The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - February 7th, 2021
- Edible Insects Market Scope and Price Analysis of Top Manufacturers Profiles 2015 2027 BioFlythec, Insagri, Mealfood Europe, Thailand Unique, Kreca... - February 7th, 2021
- Signs of Termite Infestation | Mississippi State ... - February 4th, 2021
- How Do Termite Mounds Regulate Temperature? - ASME - February 4th, 2021
- Drywood Termite Control: How To Get Rid of Drywood Termites - February 4th, 2021
- Termite Signs - Infestation - Phoenix AZ | Blue Sky Pest ... - February 4th, 2021
- How to identify termites: what do termites look like? - February 4th, 2021
- How to Kill Termites in 7 Easy Steps (Expert Advice ... - February 4th, 2021
- Does homeowners insurance cover termites? - February 4th, 2021
- Selling a House with Active Termites or Past Termite ... - February 4th, 2021
- Epifamily Termitoidae - Termites - BugGuide.Net - February 4th, 2021
- What Do Termites Look Like? - WorldAtlas - February 4th, 2021
- Types of Termites in Singapore | Rentokil Pest Control - February 4th, 2021
- Isoptera 101: The Termite Life Cycle And Castes Explained - February 4th, 2021
- Termite Control: How To Get Rid of Termites | DIY Termite ... - February 4th, 2021
- What happens to termites in Alexandria during the winter? - Alexandria Times - February 4th, 2021
- UPDATE: Uncle Kentang Closes Donations for Ampang Family Living In Termite-Infested House - WORLD OF BUZZ - February 4th, 2021
- Termite Control Market Size, Top Key Players, Applications, Business Statistics, Trends and Forecast 2021-2027 The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv... - February 4th, 2021
- The fart of the larva of this insect can kill six termites - The Courier - February 1st, 2021
- Everything Required for FHA Appraisals: From Home Valuation to Termite Inspection - NextAdvisor - February 1st, 2021
- Carpenter Ants Don't Eat Wood, But You Don't Want Them In Your Home - Texas Standard - January 23rd, 2021
- 2 Exits In A Day. Unfazed Trinamool Says "Couple Of Mugs Of Water..." - NDTV - January 23rd, 2021
- Termite Control Market Size 2021 By Analysis, Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, and Forecasts to 2027 - Jumbo News - January 17th, 2021
- A month on, termite infestation still not cleared from JNU's state-of-the-art lab, claim researchers, JNUSU - EdexLive - January 9th, 2021
- Copper Azoles Market Research : Industry Overview, Market Growth,Top Performing Regions Analysis and Forecast to 2028 | Koppers Inc, Lonza, UFP... - January 9th, 2021
- Termite Control Market Trends & Forecast to 2026- Industry Analysis by Geographical Regions, Type and Application - Factory Gate - January 9th, 2021
- Jennifer Danny | Appreciating the Little Things - Santa Clarita Valley Signal - January 9th, 2021
- There's a new addition at the Miami Zoo: a baby giant anteater - WDJT - December 29th, 2020
- Termite Control Market 2020: COVID19 Impact on Industry Growth, Trends, Top Manufacturer, Regional Analysis and Forecast to 2027 - The Monitor - December 29th, 2020
- Europe pest control market Outlook and Opportunities in Grooming Regions - LionLowdown - December 29th, 2020
- The Kindreds - Boston Review - December 19th, 2020
- Facts of the Matter: Earths atmosphere is filled with a wide variety of gases - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - December 19th, 2020
- Womens inheritance rights - The Express Tribune - December 19th, 2020
- The Critical Mistake Homebuyers Are Making Right Now (and How to Avoid It) - PureWow - December 19th, 2020
- Global Termite Control Products and Services Market Detailed analysis of current Industry figures with forecasts growth by 2028 | Top Players;... - December 19th, 2020
- JNU's termite-infested lab stuck in war between two departments. Who will clear the rot now? - EdexLive - December 15th, 2020
- In the nick of time: Woman, dogs rescued from inferno by Kingsport, Church Hill men - Kingsport Times News - December 15th, 2020
- Home repair services and more with Poplar Home Waterproofing - FOX10 News - December 15th, 2020
- Around Town December 14 - The Republic - December 15th, 2020
- Termite Control Market 2020 | Know the Latest COVID19 Impact Analysis And Strategies of Key Players: , BioAdvanced, BASF, Terminix, Rentokil Initial,... - December 13th, 2020
- Letter: Cooperation is key to beating pandemic - Grand Forks Herald - December 13th, 2020
- Amazing ways insects survive the winter | Lifestyles | somerset-kentucky.com - Commonwealth Journal's History - December 12th, 2020
- Terminix Internship Named to Top 100 Best Internships in America by WayUp - GuruFocus.com - December 12th, 2020
- Termite Baiting Treatments Market Size, Historical Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - AlgosOnline - December 12th, 2020
- 'Echoes of the voice of God': Carpenter Gothic churches rare in Northwest Florida - The Northwest Florida Daily News - December 12th, 2020
- Joint taskforce to be established to tackle termites - FBC News - December 9th, 2020