Until just a few days ago, it felt like a dark cloud had descended over India. Its secular past was a distant memory. A Hindu supremacist party, the BJP, led by Prime Minister Modi and his enforcer Amit Shah, was bulldozing toward its objective of creating a Hindu nation. The constitution was in shreds, law enforcement agencies were acting like BJP henchmen and the court system had lost the confidence of the minorities that it could be fair and impartial. The ordinary citizen was afraid to speak.
Then came a small peaceful protest at a university in Delhi against the Modi/Shah plan to destroy India's secularism. The brutal suppression by the Delhi police that included beating up students with batons and dragging them out of the college libraries led to widespread outrage. A video of college girls standing up to cops who were assaulting a young man mercilessly went viral. The pushback from the young and the fearless had started.
Universities across the country joined in protest. People from all walks of life found the courage to go out in the street and call out BJP's brazenly anti-secular policies.
The series of policies and laws put into place by the BJP government is confusing, but their intent is not. The aim of these policies is to snatch away citizenship for as many of the 200 million Indian Muslims as possible.
The first policy, National Register of Citizens (NRC), was implemented in the state of Assam to root out alleged infiltrators from neighboring Bangladesh. Residents needed to provide proof that they were in India before the formation of Bangladesh; an impossible task for hundreds of thousands of poor and illiterate. BJP thought they would be getting rid of a million or two of the Muslims in that area, but large numbers of poor Hindus were snared in this web. To fix this unexpected problem, BJP passed another bill, the Citizenship Amendment Act, that gave all non-Muslim immigrants from Bangladesh, Pakistan and Afghanistan expedited citizenship. Muslims were explicitly excluded and would be sent back or placed in detention centers.
The next stage was to make the NRC nationwide and give even low-level officials the authority to decide who is a citizen and who is not. Shah promised to root out alleged illegal immigrants -- termites, as he calls them (read Muslims) -- from all of India.
This comes on the heels of revoking the special status of Kashmir, the only Muslim majority state, which is being pacified by a massive army and police presence. There is no accounting of how many are detained. There are rampant reports of disappearances and torture that can neither be verified nor refuted as no one can get in and internet service is still blocked.
BJP is pushing the extremist agenda of its ideological parent, the RSS, which dreams of a pure Hindu nation. Its ideologue, Golwalkar, admired Hitler and thought that minorities in India should be managed like Jews in Germany; hence the detention camps. The non-Hindus "must lose their separate existence to merge in the Hindu race," wrote Golwalkar. He added that if they do not do so, non-Hindus may claim nothing, "not even citizen's rights." For RSS and BJP, the Muslim is Enemy No. 1 followed closely by the Christian.
The students realize that the Hindu supremacist onslaught will not stop at Muslims. The late journalist Khushwant Singh warned, "Those of us today who feel secure because we are not Muslims or Christians are living in a fool's paradise ... Tomorrow it (Hindu supremacy) will turn its hate on women who wear skirts, people who eat meat, drink liquor, watch foreign films (or) kiss or shake hands in greeting instead of shouting 'Jai Shri Ram.'"
Left-leaning intellectuals have been targeted and some have been murdered.
The ultimate dream of the Hindu supremacist is to recreate a mythical undivided India that would include all of Kashmir, Pakistan, Bangladesh and even Myanmar. The idea of seizing the entire subcontinent is delusional, but high-ranking BJP officials talk about annexing all of Kashmir to create a potential nuclear nightmare with Pakistan
The secular forces in India have risen from the ashes and are carrying on a historical struggle. They are battling an existentialist threat posed by the Hindu supremacist forces. The law enforcement in BJP-ruled states continues to be a threat to dissenters.
We in the U.S. should not stand on the sidelines. BJP leaders must be sanctioned, and economic and military support to India should be made subject to good behavior. The BJP regime is backpedaling a bit but will do its best to stamp out the resurgent tide of secularism; we must stand shoulder to shoulder with the pro-secularist movement.
Javeed Akhter is a physician and freelance writer from Oak Brook.
- COVID19 Impact- Global Termite Control Products Market Recent Industry Developments and Growth Strategies Adopted by Top Key Players: BASF SE,... - July 1st, 2020
- CenTex Foundation Repair Servicing the Temple, Texas Areas Foundation and Leveling Needs - Press Release - Digital Journal - July 1st, 2020
- When Sports Were Played: Kane, Wild Things were able to pull off 2003 comeback - Observer-Reporter - July 1st, 2020
- Termites flying in swarms invade Thailand supermarket as shoppers continue to buy products - 7NEWS.com.au - June 30th, 2020
- Fox Soul Announces It Will Not Broadcast Louis Farrakhan July 4 Address - Jewish Journal - June 30th, 2020
- Summer bug treatments that don't bite - ConsumerAffairs - June 30th, 2020
- What helps, and what doesnt, during a hectic home sale - The Mercury News - June 30th, 2020
- BOOR: Troublesome pests crawling out of the woodwork - hays Post - June 24th, 2020
- The Wonder Of Termites (Yep, That's What I Said) - Connecticut Public Radio - June 24th, 2020
- Europe Pest Control Market to Exhibit Rapid Surge in Consumption in the COVID-19 Crisis - Cole of Duty - June 24th, 2020
- Why is this the most trafficked mammal in the world? | Living - Euronews - June 24th, 2020
- The minister of hate | Opinion | jewishaz.com - Jewish News of Greater Phoenix - June 24th, 2020
- Day of reckoning has arrived for NASCAR and its fans - Yahoo Sports - June 24th, 2020
- Essays on Non-virtual Reality: Examining the big world of the tiny ant - The News-Messenger - June 22nd, 2020
- HGTV's Renovation Island : Everything You Need to Know About Stars Bryan and Sarah Baeumler - Yahoo Finance UK - June 22nd, 2020
- Termite Pictures: Species, Signs and Damage - June 20th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 16th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 16th, 2020
- Ant-Man better watch out, because these termites are the supervillains of the insect world - SYFY WIRE - June 15th, 2020
- Termite Control Services Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2017 to 2026 - Farmers Ledger - June 15th, 2020
- Homeowners in 'termite belt' should be wary of insect - Henry Herald - June 15th, 2020
- Of dung beetles and elephants - Daily Maverick - June 15th, 2020
- Termite Control Products Market Industry Size, Share and Forecast to 2026 - Weekly Wall - June 15th, 2020
- Aggressive rodents not issue in LR, experts say - Arkansas Online - June 15th, 2020
- Coronavirus threat to global Termite Treatment Market 2020 Industry Share, Size, Consumption, Growth, Top Manufacturers, Type and Forecast to 2027 -... - June 15th, 2020
- 'Renovation Island': Fans worried that Bryan and Sarah might not stay married after the show - MEAWW - June 15th, 2020
- Homeowners in 'termite belt' should be wary of insect - KPVI News 6 - June 13th, 2020
- China removes Pangolin from its traditional medicine list to protect the endangered animal - Republic World - Republic World - June 13th, 2020
- Harrell: One of the most dangerous driveways in Bluffton - Bluffton Today - June 12th, 2020
- Improved attic ventilation helps protect your roof and keep your home comfortable - theday.com - June 12th, 2020
- Harrell: One of the most dangerous driveways in Bluffton - Online Athens - June 10th, 2020
- New books present the PhyloCode, an evolution-based system for naming organisms - University of Florida - June 10th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 10th, 2020
- The Walking Dead star reveals horror at cannibal slaughterhouse scenes where men were hung from hooks and - The Sun - June 10th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Termite Control 2020 Industry Growth, Size, Trends, Share, Opportunities and Forecast to 2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 9th, 2020
- Back From Extinction: Returning Threatened Pangolins to the Wild - EcoWatch - June 9th, 2020
- Enviro-Safe Protection Pest Control Services, Inc., announced today they have again won the coveted Angie's List Super Service Award - Press Release -... - June 9th, 2020
- At the zoo, meerkats work for their dinner with the help of GE engineers and some titanium - The Cincinnati Enquirer - June 9th, 2020
- For The Love Of Mulch And Mulching! Inorganic Mulch & Termites - Osprey Observer - June 6th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on Global Termite Drug, Market Insights and Forecast to 2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 6th, 2020
- The Barton mansion: A building worthy of a novel - Richmond.com - June 6th, 2020
- Stay Orders - A termite in the Indian Justice System - Lexology - June 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Update: Global Termite Drug Market is Expected to Grow at a Healthy CAGR with Top players: Bifenthrins, Borates, Sulfuryl Fluorides, Others,,... - June 5th, 2020
- Pest Control Market Size Worth USD 31.94 Billion by 2027; Rising Adoption of Pest Control Software will Add Impetus to Market, Says Fortune Business... - June 5th, 2020
- 4 Signs Your Home Has Termites and 4 Ways to Prevent Them - WDRB - June 4th, 2020
- It's the time for storm-proofing; frequent weeding; and making careful cuts in the garden - NOLA.com - June 4th, 2020
- 7 Signs of Termites in Your Home | Today's Homeowner - June 2nd, 2020
- Termites | New York State Integrated Pest Management - June 2nd, 2020
- Termite Swarmers: Life Cycle, Identifying, & Treatment ... - June 2nd, 2020
- Flying Ants vs. Termites | The Family Handyman - June 2nd, 2020
- Flying Termites with Wings (Swarmers) Pictures & How to ... - June 2nd, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Termites | Top 10 Home Remedies - June 2nd, 2020
- Pen in Hand: Legless Lizard: the snake-like lizards that hardly anyone ever sees - Tehachapi News - June 2nd, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 Outbreak on Termite Control Market 2020 Trends, Growth Opportunities, Demand, Application, Top Companies and Industry Forecast 2026... - May 31st, 2020
- River Bend Nature Center raises money for new educational signs - msnNOW - May 30th, 2020
- Termite Monitoring Service Market Research Report 2020: Key Players, Applications, Drivers, Trends and Forecast to 2026 - News Distinct - May 30th, 2020
- 1+1>2 architects adds to jackfruit village with thatched lakeside residence - Designboom - May 30th, 2020
- Chimps have local culture differences when it comes to eating termites - New Scientist News - May 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus threat to global Termite Bait System Products Market: Future Scenarios and Business Opportunity Analysis 2026 - 3rd Watch News - May 29th, 2020
- Point Reserve jetties in Bassendean to be removed due to termite damage - PerthNow - May 29th, 2020
- The impact of the coronavirus on the Termite Control Market Segments, Opportunity, Growth and Forecast by End-use Idustry 2019-2028 - Bulletin Line - May 26th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Carpenter Ants Before the Damage Is Done - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 26th, 2020
- The impact of the coronavirus on the Termite Control System Market 2020 -Global Industry Analysis By Trends, Size, Share, Company Overview, Growth And... - May 25th, 2020
- Rainy Season and Termite Swarms - Florida Keys Weekly - May 23rd, 2020
- Termite swarming season is here, report indicates Mobile is the most termite-infested metro area - FOX10 News - May 23rd, 2020
- Edible Insects Market to reach US$ 850 Million globally by end of 2027 Coherent Market Insights - GlobeNewswire - May 23rd, 2020
- 3 pesky insects that can ruin your home and your health - Free Malaysia Today - May 23rd, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Termite Control Products Market: Emerging Economies Expected to Influence Growth until 2026 - News Distinct - May 21st, 2020
- Global Termite Control Services Market SHARE, SIZE 2020| EMERGING RAPIDLY WITH LATEST TRENDS, GROWTH, REVENUE, DEMAND AND FORECAST TO 2026 - Jewish... - May 21st, 2020
- Bragar Eagel & Squire, P.C. Reminds Investors That Class Action Lawsuits Have Been Filed Against Zoom, eHealth, ServiceMaster Global, and iAnthus... - May 21st, 2020
- Termite Control Market 2020 Global Overview, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Leading Company Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 20th, 2020
- Betting against the U.S. economy and consumer is a losers game why one strategist sees Dow 30,000 next year and 40,000 by 2023 - MarketWatch - May 19th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- Investing in Women in the Time of COVID-19 - Karma - May 19th, 2020
- Todays lesson: Whats the buzz? - The San Diego Union-Tribune - May 19th, 2020
- Echidnas on the move as breeding season begins Bundaberg Now - Bundaberg Now - May 19th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market Size, Share, Trends and Competitive Outlook during forecast period 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- Meet the Black Phoebe - Alameda Sun - May 16th, 2020
- Know the Future Opportunities of Termite Treatment Market and its detail analysis by Focusing Top Companies like DoMyOwn, Specialist Termite Control,... - May 14th, 2020