Until just a few days ago, it felt like a dark cloud had descended over India. Its secular past was a distant memory. A Hindu supremacist party, the BJP, led by Prime Minister Modi and his enforcer Amit Shah, was bulldozing toward its objective of creating a Hindu nation. The constitution was in shreds, law enforcement agencies were acting like BJP henchmen and the court system had lost the confidence of the minorities that it could be fair and impartial. The ordinary citizen was afraid to speak.
Then came a small peaceful protest at a university in Delhi against the Modi/Shah plan to destroy India's secularism. The brutal suppression by the Delhi police that included beating up students with batons and dragging them out of the college libraries led to widespread outrage. A video of college girls standing up to cops who were assaulting a young man mercilessly went viral. The pushback from the young and the fearless had started.
Universities across the country joined in protest. People from all walks of life found the courage to go out in the street and call out BJP's brazenly anti-secular policies.
The series of policies and laws put into place by the BJP government is confusing, but their intent is not. The aim of these policies is to snatch away citizenship for as many of the 200 million Indian Muslims as possible.
The first policy, National Register of Citizens (NRC), was implemented in the state of Assam to root out alleged infiltrators from neighboring Bangladesh. Residents needed to provide proof that they were in India before the formation of Bangladesh; an impossible task for hundreds of thousands of poor and illiterate. BJP thought they would be getting rid of a million or two of the Muslims in that area, but large numbers of poor Hindus were snared in this web. To fix this unexpected problem, BJP passed another bill, the Citizenship Amendment Act, that gave all non-Muslim immigrants from Bangladesh, Pakistan and Afghanistan expedited citizenship. Muslims were explicitly excluded and would be sent back or placed in detention centers.
The next stage was to make the NRC nationwide and give even low-level officials the authority to decide who is a citizen and who is not. Shah promised to root out alleged illegal immigrants -- termites, as he calls them (read Muslims) -- from all of India.
This comes on the heels of revoking the special status of Kashmir, the only Muslim majority state, which is being pacified by a massive army and police presence. There is no accounting of how many are detained. There are rampant reports of disappearances and torture that can neither be verified nor refuted as no one can get in and internet service is still blocked.
BJP is pushing the extremist agenda of its ideological parent, the RSS, which dreams of a pure Hindu nation. Its ideologue, Golwalkar, admired Hitler and thought that minorities in India should be managed like Jews in Germany; hence the detention camps. The non-Hindus "must lose their separate existence to merge in the Hindu race," wrote Golwalkar. He added that if they do not do so, non-Hindus may claim nothing, "not even citizen's rights." For RSS and BJP, the Muslim is Enemy No. 1 followed closely by the Christian.
The students realize that the Hindu supremacist onslaught will not stop at Muslims. The late journalist Khushwant Singh warned, "Those of us today who feel secure because we are not Muslims or Christians are living in a fool's paradise ... Tomorrow it (Hindu supremacy) will turn its hate on women who wear skirts, people who eat meat, drink liquor, watch foreign films (or) kiss or shake hands in greeting instead of shouting 'Jai Shri Ram.'"
Left-leaning intellectuals have been targeted and some have been murdered.
The ultimate dream of the Hindu supremacist is to recreate a mythical undivided India that would include all of Kashmir, Pakistan, Bangladesh and even Myanmar. The idea of seizing the entire subcontinent is delusional, but high-ranking BJP officials talk about annexing all of Kashmir to create a potential nuclear nightmare with Pakistan
The secular forces in India have risen from the ashes and are carrying on a historical struggle. They are battling an existentialist threat posed by the Hindu supremacist forces. The law enforcement in BJP-ruled states continues to be a threat to dissenters.
We in the U.S. should not stand on the sidelines. BJP leaders must be sanctioned, and economic and military support to India should be made subject to good behavior. The BJP regime is backpedaling a bit but will do its best to stamp out the resurgent tide of secularism; we must stand shoulder to shoulder with the pro-secularist movement.
Javeed Akhter is a physician and freelance writer from Oak Brook.
- What are the fencing rules for swimming pools? - Chicago Daily Herald - January 27th, 2020
- WRITE TEAM: All aboard the Steamer Natchez - LaSalle News Tribune - January 27th, 2020
- Free Things to Do in Manhattan This Weekend - January 31-February 2 - City Guide NY - January 27th, 2020
- Movie about magic of mushrooms coming to Wilmington - StarNewsOnline.com - January 26th, 2020
- Fumigation Certificate and Process for Export of Goods - Grainmart News - January 23rd, 2020
- Driving Back In Time With The Falmouth Classic Car Club - CapeNews.net - January 23rd, 2020
- Greenleaf: Pine Island has large population of pileated woodpeckers - Pine Island Eagle - January 23rd, 2020
- Termite Control Market: Future Forecast Assessed on the Basis of How the Industry is Predicted to Grow 2019-2024 - Dagoretti News - January 22nd, 2020
- Pest Control Services Market Focusing Long-Term Professional Industry and Making New Commitments to the Sustainable Future 2020-2027 Dagoretti News -... - January 22nd, 2020
- J Rock's swing in the Banana hammock Boxing News Boxing, UFC and MMA News, Fight Results, Schedule, Rankings, Videos and More - 15rounds.com - January 20th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: Leave devices at home - msnNOW - January 20th, 2020
- Termite Control Products Market Expected To Grow Share, Size, Forecast CAGR Ratio [2020-2029] BASF SE, The Dow Chemical Company, Bayer CropScience AG... - January 20th, 2020
- Edible Insects/ Market 2020 Global Industry Analysis, Growth Opportunities, Detailed Analysis And Forecast To 2026| Esticast Research and Consulting ... - January 20th, 2020
- You've seen the Big 5 on safari? In Zambia, you see them and the amazing Little 5 - Los Angeles Times - January 20th, 2020
- This Thailand Termite Spray Commercial is Absolutely Insane - TVOvermind - January 18th, 2020
- Photo gallery: Longview Baptist to celebrate with open house on Sunday (1/18/20) - Shelbyville Times-Gazette - January 18th, 2020
- Twitter Suspends, Then REINSTATES, Anti-Semitic Nation of Islam Leader Louis Farrakhan Claims Suspension Was an 'Error' - The Union Journal - January 18th, 2020
- First Evidence That Social Interactions of Ants Affect Pathogen Competition - SciTechDaily - January 18th, 2020
- Termite Bait System Products Market: Quantitative Analysis from 2019 to 2025 to Enable the Stakeholders to Capitalize on the Prevailing Termite Bait... - January 18th, 2020
- National Review Shouldn't Join The Left In Blaming Jews For Antisemitism - The Federalist - January 18th, 2020
- Thailand termite spray commercial - Boing Boing - January 16th, 2020
- Why is this Women's March different from all the others? - Washington Jewish Week - January 16th, 2020
- Bill Kirby Jr.: Once the bulldozers and excavators roar on South Main in Hope Mills ... - The Fayetteville Observer - January 16th, 2020
- A Cockroach vs. Water Bug: Here's How to Tell the Difference & Get Rid of Them for Good - Prevention.com - January 16th, 2020
- Becky Thatcher home preserved - Hannibal.net - January 14th, 2020
- Who Are The 2020 Womens March Speakers? The Organization Says No One. - Sara A. Carter - January 14th, 2020
- Letters to the editor Monday: - Savannah Morning News - January 14th, 2020
- Similarities between humans and chimpanzees include the ability to teach, F&M researchers say - LancasterOnline - January 12th, 2020
- Keeping house in your absence - The Tribune - January 12th, 2020
- Column: To the grocery store - every day - Milford Daily News - January 12th, 2020
- Your Environment This Week: Future green crusaders, land use change in Jammu & Kashmir, new termites - Mongabay-India - January 10th, 2020
- Termite Bait Systems Market 2019: Analysis And Forecast By The Dow Chemical Company, BASF, Bayer, Sumitomo Chemical, Syngenta, Rentokil Initial,... - January 10th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Advance Technology And New Innovations 2020 To 2027 - Food & Beverage Herald - January 10th, 2020
- Anti-Semitism won't be cured by education, but it's a first step - Washington Examiner - January 10th, 2020
- Monkeys smashing nuts with stones hint at how human tool use evolved - The Conversation US - January 10th, 2020
- Global Termite Control System Market 2019 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Food & Beverage... - January 9th, 2020
- Termite Bait Systems Market Report by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application Forecast 2019 2025 - Expert Recorder - January 9th, 2020
- Viance offers environmentally advanced utility pole and crossarm preservative alternative to penta - Utility Products - January 9th, 2020
- Rollins, Inc. Schedules Date For Release Of Fourth Quarter And Full Year 2019 Results - Yahoo Finance - January 7th, 2020
- Chimps share tools when tasks gets tough - Cosmos - January 7th, 2020
- Perspective on Knowledge: The challenge of emergence - KMWorld Magazine - January 4th, 2020
- The Great British Bake Offs Prue Leith says we may eat more insects in future - The Independent - January 4th, 2020
- Termite Control Services Market Report (2019-2025) | The demand for the Market will drastically increase in the Future - Chief Analyst - January 4th, 2020
- Ab Rogers returns to Wonderfruit festival in Thailand - Wallpaper* - January 2nd, 2020
- Why the New Year has begun on a depressing note - Yahoo Finance UK - January 2nd, 2020
- Florida Matters 2019 In Review: Honey Bees, Coral Reefs, And The Environment - WUSF News - January 1st, 2020
- Memories live on during the holiday season | Commentary - Olean Times Herald - January 1st, 2020
- Termites eating into green cover of City Beautiful - The Tribune - December 29th, 2019
- Open Letter Protesting CAA | Letters to the Editor - India West - December 29th, 2019
- Goualougo chimpanzees more likely to teach and share tools for complex tasks - English Forward - December 29th, 2019
- No progress visible at the blighted Buddy Bolden house, but work may begin soon - NOLA.com - December 29th, 2019
- Protestors in non-BJP states cooking biryani and singing songs; in BJP-ruled states why are they 'violent'? - TheTrends24 - December 29th, 2019
- Trends in the Termite Control Market 2019-2027 - Market Research Sheets - December 27th, 2019
- Is There Mold in Your House? | Millionacres - Motley Fool - December 26th, 2019
- Chimpanzees more likely to share tools, teach skills when task is complex - Washington University in St. Louis Newsroom - December 26th, 2019
- Chimp study may give insight into the evolution of human complexity - Haaretz - December 24th, 2019
- The global household insecticides market is accounted to US$ 11,785.9 Mn in 2018 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 5.2% during the forecast period... - December 24th, 2019
- Future use of East Hampton town hall could be fun but remains a mystery - Middletown Press - December 24th, 2019
- Chlorpyrifos Market New Innovations, Research and Growth Factor till 2024 - Market Reports Observer - December 24th, 2019
- In India, Thousands Protest Citizenship Law That Excludes Muslims - The Organization for World Peace - December 22nd, 2019
- Termite Bait Systems Market 2019: Global Opportunity And Growth Analysis By The Dow Chemical Company, BASF, Bayer, Sumitomo Chemical, Syngenta,... - December 21st, 2019
- A new law in India could put Muslims at greater risk of persecution, like the Rohingya - The Conversation AU - December 19th, 2019
- The Ant, the Woodpecker, and the 3-D Printer: A Tale of Interdepartmental Collaboration - Newswise - December 19th, 2019
- Termites And Expansion Of Sharia Law In Nigerian Constitution By Frederick Odorige - SaharaReporters.com - December 18th, 2019
- Viance Offers Environmentally Advanced Utility Pole and Crossarm Preservative Alternative to Penta - PRNewswire - December 18th, 2019
- The marvellous mystery of the fairy circles - Particle - December 18th, 2019
- Finance board approves sale of East Hampton town hall building - Middletown Press - December 18th, 2019
- Viance Offers Environmentally Advanced Utility Pole and Crossarm Preservative Alternative to Penta - Yahoo Finance - December 17th, 2019
- Believe it or not, this Vietnam homes design is inspired by termites - Architectural Digest India - December 16th, 2019
- Termite Control Products and Services Market Future Scope With Upcoming Opportunities 2025 (Terminix, Rollins, Rentokil Initial, Anticimex and many... - December 16th, 2019
- Hows the Market? Intermittent Inspections - Ukiah Daily Journal - December 16th, 2019
- Know what are the driving factors of Global Termite Control Products and Services Market growth by key players: Terminix, Rollins, Rentokil Initial -... - December 14th, 2019
- Hows the Market? Intermittent Inspections - Lake County Record-Bee - December 14th, 2019
- Attractive Market Opportunities in the Termite Control Market By 2029 - Neptune Pine - December 14th, 2019
- In Hindu-nationalist India, Muslims risk being branded infiltrators in their own country - CNN - December 14th, 2019
- What Will Be Driving Growth Factor of Termite Control Products and Services Market Near Future - News Description - December 13th, 2019
- The termites eating up India - indica News - December 12th, 2019
- Termite Control Market Size 2019 Focuses on Top Companies, Research Methodology, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 - Drnewsindustry - December 12th, 2019
- Are You Worried About Human Termites Too? - Dunya News - December 10th, 2019
- Swarm Bot Series Part One: Heres What Bees are Teaching Us About the Future of the IoT - IoT For All - December 10th, 2019