Political arrogance and a myopic vision have made the Bharatiya Janata Party so blindsided that it has mistaken the majority numbers in the Lok Sabha to be a mandate for imposing majoritarian ideology.
It is indeed paradoxical that a government that refuses to tell us the source of of BJPs humongous electoral bonds funding, the extent of black-money obliterated, publicly disclose Prime Minister Narendra Modis controversial educational degrees, and present the correct data on GDP and unemployment should ask each and every 130 crore people of India to furnish documents to establish our citizenship. It is a monumental travesty.
The Citizenship Amendment Act, National Register of Citizens and the National Population Register are a deadly triumvirate that is a part of a larger Hindutva ecosystem which is blatantly divisive and is being deployed with remorseless precision all over India as the BJP believes it will pay huge electoral dividends.
But the massive crowds on public squares all over the country protesting against the sectarian politics are a manifestation of an India that will not be subjugated or suppressed by the authoritarian fascists. A new vocabulary has coruscated India.
Prime Minister Narendra Modis speech at Ram Lila Maidan in Delhi where he blamed the Congress party and Urban Naxals for instigating students was archetypal gaslighting: its sole purpose was that if you cant convince them, confuse them through devious mendacity.
The PMs speech was an epitome of disingenuous propaganda meant to deliberately confuse the people on the NRC, detention centres and the religious character of the CAA where the Muslims are being officially targeted. It is distressing that Mr Modi found his voice after over 20 innocent Indians were killed.
Home Minister Amit Shah has repeatedly talked of an all India NRC and of potential termites who need to be thrown away, both in Parliament and outside. The Minister of State for Home has acknowledged in Parliament that the NPR is the basic foundation, a precursor to the NRC.
The new NPR, in fact, has two crucial intriguing questions that demonstrates BJPs political intentions: Place and Date of Birth of Parents and Place of Last Residence. Both these data captured can be used to determine citizenship. And why should the NPR be used for welfare subsidy distribution when the government has already adopted Aadhaar for the same?
Mr Modis government is a past master at doublespeak but India and the world has seen through their chicanery and hypocrisy. It is clear that the immediate trigger for the CAA was to negate the NRC results in Assam that found nearly half the illegal immigrants to be non-Muslims.
The distraught local BJP leadership wants a fresh NRC following the disastrous contretemps. It is hardly surprising that the Sangh Parivaar finds itself in a political dilemma with both its wobbly feet on a banana peel.
The police brutality especially in Uttar Pradesh is extremely disturbing and exhibits the institutional bias against the minority communities in our state institutions responsible for law and order. It is in BJP-administered states like Karnataka, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, et cetera that has seen largescale violence and that is not an unusual coincidence.
It is as per the BJP playbook of maligning civil society. PM Modi has already commenced his pedestrian, substandard rhetoric by dragging in a Pakistan-Congress connection into his fulminating speeches. It is contemptible baloney.
The secular inclusive fabric of Indias constitution is under threat. A prominent BJP leader from Haryana, Leela Ram Gurjar, intimidated people by saying that those who opposed CAA/NRC will be wiped out in an hour; another threatened to cut Keralas Central assistance if NPR was not implemented in the state.
A climate of fear is being created, but it is good to see that several state governments have said that they will oppose the NRC and now even NPR in their states. We face the extraordinary prospect of the bitter most confrontationist federal showdown with the Centre since 1947.
Demonetisation did such serious structural damage to the Indian economy that we are still feeling its negative repercussions; the CAA, NRC and NPR likewise can create social mayhem that may take decades to restore.
We need to put an end to exclusionary politics and imbibe the Idea of India that celebrates our religious plurality and secular diversity. The vicious, violent attacks on protestors, imposition of Sec 144 , Internet shutdowns that have the dubious distinction of the longest in any democracy and the attempt to throttle free expression tells us that Indias unofficial Emergency has now entered 67 months.
I have a question for Indias Prime Minister: who and what did he mean when he said that you could recognize protestors (and by extension insinuating that they are perpetrators of violence) by their clothes?
If the countrys highest executive indulges flagrantly in dog whistle politics, it is hardly surprising that India has entered into a dangerous phase of political polarization.
But the Jharkhand election results tell us all that Indias democratic syncretic multicultural character is not easy to destroy. The people of India fought valiantly against the British for our freedom struggle. They have a deeper inner resilience. They are capable of heavy lifting.
Thus, we start 2020 on a depressing, dismal and despondent note. But as they say the darkest hour is before the dawn.
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author and do not reflect the official position of Yahoo or Verizon Media.
- Termites Show Miners The Way To A Low Carbon Future - IFLScience - February 26th, 2020
- All You Need to Know about Biomimicry and How It Is Changing the Way We Design - Interesting Engineering - February 26th, 2020
- Pesky termites are proving useful in finding nickel and cobalt - Stockhead - February 26th, 2020
- What's delaying the opening of Muncie Dunkin'? - The Star Press - February 26th, 2020
- Donald Trump Is Going to India to Find Himself - The New York Times - February 26th, 2020
- Mild winter weather means more insects are active - WWLP.com - February 24th, 2020
- Detroit Rolls Out the Red Carpet for Anti-Semitic Hate Group - Clarion Project - February 24th, 2020
- Servicemaster Global (SERV) Scheduled to Post Earnings on Thursday - Enterprise Echo - February 20th, 2020
- 4 Signs of a Possible Termite Infestation - Time Bulletin - February 19th, 2020
- Can snow kill bugs? We asked an expert - WFMYNews2.com - February 19th, 2020
- 'Bead Three' sculpture catches throws, Carnival spirit - News from Tulane - February 19th, 2020
- Pest Control Market projected size be resilient during 2026 according to demand forecasts - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - February 19th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 18th, 2020
- Encinitas, Calif.: A Beach Town Where Prices Rise With the Tide - The New York Times - February 18th, 2020
- Ehrlich Pest Control Donates Lifetime Pest And Termite Control To Family Of Navy Veteran And Community Hero, Christopher Hixon - Yahoo Finance - February 17th, 2020
- Global Termite Control Services Market by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Instant Tech News - February 17th, 2020
- Trends in the Ready To Use Termite Control Products Market 2019-2022 - Instant Tech News - February 17th, 2020
- Dac San Dao Phu Quoc introduced Canned Black Fungus in Tomato Sauce to Its Menu - Yahoo Finance - February 17th, 2020
- Dehradun: Woman dies after termite-infested tree falls on her car - Times of India - February 17th, 2020
- Now that the drum beats of Delhi election battle have died, how long will our interest in Shaheen Bagh last - Yahoo India News - February 16th, 2020
- You fill the pothole in my heart: See these funny - NOLA.com - February 15th, 2020
- For Sri Lankas pangolins, forests are ideal but rubber farms will do too - Mongabay.com - February 15th, 2020
- Project of Fayette County students being sent to International Space Station - WKYT - February 15th, 2020
- Embrace the crunch: Bug Buffet draws curious and converts - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle - February 15th, 2020
- Rust-Oleum Sued After Product Fails To Work As Advertised - The Ring of Fire Network - The Ring of Fire Network - February 15th, 2020
- Whither The Deficit Hawk: Changing Attitudes On Budget Red Ink Among The GOP - NPR - February 15th, 2020
- Termite Bait Systems Market Trends, Key Players, Overview, Competitive Breakdown and Regional Forecast by 2025 - News Times - February 13th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Pangolins may have spread the disease to humans - Medical News Today - February 13th, 2020
- Pest Control Market Size and Key Trends in Terms of Volume and Value 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 13th, 2020
- Termite Control Market 2020 Booming by Size, Revenue, Trend and Top Companies 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 12th, 2020
- Ehrlich Pest Control Donates Lifetime Pest And Termite Control To Family Of Navy Veteran And Community Hero, Christopher Hixon - PRNewswire - February 12th, 2020
- Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria Is ComingBut Insects (And Their Poop) Might Stop Them - The National Interest Online - February 12th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Increasing Demand with Leading Player, Comprehensive Analysis, Forecast 2026 - Jewish Life News - February 12th, 2020
- A giant anteater is coming to Zoo Knoxville and we can't wait to see her! - WBIR.com - February 12th, 2020
- Study investigates impact of road deaths on giant anteater population in Cerrado - Mongabay.com - February 12th, 2020
- Voting population getting smarter - Opinion - The Bulletin - Norwich, CT - Norwich Bulletin - February 9th, 2020
- Protect your investment with Vulcan Termite and Pest Control - Trussvilletribune - February 5th, 2020
- Tips for Controlling Pests in and Around Your Home - Explosion - February 5th, 2020
- Global Termite Control Products and Services Market With Growing CAGR In Forecast Period 2020 To 2026 By Top Manufacturers - GuruFocus.com - February 4th, 2020
- Step Inside Kimyes Haunted Mansion - The Cut - February 4th, 2020
- Inn on the River celebrates 100th anniversary - The Glen Rose Reporter - February 4th, 2020
- Native Plant Society to talk dazzling, dramatic dragonflies - Weatherford Democrat - February 2nd, 2020
- Jeremy Corbyns place in the history of antisemitism - The Jerusalem Post - February 1st, 2020
- Are insects the food of the future? - Yahoo News - February 1st, 2020
- OpEd: Doodling in the dust | Opinion - Moultrie News - January 31st, 2020
- Rollins Closes Out Disappointing Year With Revenue Beat - Motley Fool - January 31st, 2020
- Sloth Bears Recognize 2D Images as Representations of 3D Objects Smithsonian's National Zoo Cognition Study Finds - Smithsonian's National Zoo and... - January 30th, 2020
- Ehrlich Pest Control Joins Forces With Military Makeover To Protect Dedicated Military Family From Pests - The Wellsboro Gazette - January 29th, 2020
- Ehrlich Pest Control Joins Forces With Military Makeover To Protect Dedicated Military Family From Pests - PRNewswire - January 28th, 2020
- What are the fencing rules for swimming pools? - Chicago Daily Herald - January 27th, 2020
- WRITE TEAM: All aboard the Steamer Natchez - LaSalle News Tribune - January 27th, 2020
- Free Things to Do in Manhattan This Weekend - January 31-February 2 - City Guide NY - January 27th, 2020
- Movie about magic of mushrooms coming to Wilmington - StarNewsOnline.com - January 26th, 2020
- Fumigation Certificate and Process for Export of Goods - Grainmart News - January 23rd, 2020
- Driving Back In Time With The Falmouth Classic Car Club - CapeNews.net - January 23rd, 2020
- Greenleaf: Pine Island has large population of pileated woodpeckers - Pine Island Eagle - January 23rd, 2020
- Termite Control Market: Future Forecast Assessed on the Basis of How the Industry is Predicted to Grow 2019-2024 - Dagoretti News - January 22nd, 2020
- Pest Control Services Market Focusing Long-Term Professional Industry and Making New Commitments to the Sustainable Future 2020-2027 Dagoretti News -... - January 22nd, 2020
- J Rock's swing in the Banana hammock Boxing News Boxing, UFC and MMA News, Fight Results, Schedule, Rankings, Videos and More - 15rounds.com - January 20th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: Leave devices at home - msnNOW - January 20th, 2020
- Termite Control Products Market Expected To Grow Share, Size, Forecast CAGR Ratio [2020-2029] BASF SE, The Dow Chemical Company, Bayer CropScience AG... - January 20th, 2020
- Edible Insects/ Market 2020 Global Industry Analysis, Growth Opportunities, Detailed Analysis And Forecast To 2026| Esticast Research and Consulting ... - January 20th, 2020
- You've seen the Big 5 on safari? In Zambia, you see them and the amazing Little 5 - Los Angeles Times - January 20th, 2020
- This Thailand Termite Spray Commercial is Absolutely Insane - TVOvermind - January 18th, 2020
- Photo gallery: Longview Baptist to celebrate with open house on Sunday (1/18/20) - Shelbyville Times-Gazette - January 18th, 2020
- Twitter Suspends, Then REINSTATES, Anti-Semitic Nation of Islam Leader Louis Farrakhan Claims Suspension Was an 'Error' - The Union Journal - January 18th, 2020
- First Evidence That Social Interactions of Ants Affect Pathogen Competition - SciTechDaily - January 18th, 2020
- Termite Bait System Products Market: Quantitative Analysis from 2019 to 2025 to Enable the Stakeholders to Capitalize on the Prevailing Termite Bait... - January 18th, 2020
- National Review Shouldn't Join The Left In Blaming Jews For Antisemitism - The Federalist - January 18th, 2020
- Thailand termite spray commercial - Boing Boing - January 16th, 2020
- Why is this Women's March different from all the others? - Washington Jewish Week - January 16th, 2020
- Bill Kirby Jr.: Once the bulldozers and excavators roar on South Main in Hope Mills ... - The Fayetteville Observer - January 16th, 2020
- A Cockroach vs. Water Bug: Here's How to Tell the Difference & Get Rid of Them for Good - Prevention.com - January 16th, 2020
- Becky Thatcher home preserved - Hannibal.net - January 14th, 2020
- Who Are The 2020 Womens March Speakers? The Organization Says No One. - Sara A. Carter - January 14th, 2020
- Letters to the editor Monday: - Savannah Morning News - January 14th, 2020
- Similarities between humans and chimpanzees include the ability to teach, F&M researchers say - LancasterOnline - January 12th, 2020
- Keeping house in your absence - The Tribune - January 12th, 2020
- Column: To the grocery store - every day - Milford Daily News - January 12th, 2020
- Your Environment This Week: Future green crusaders, land use change in Jammu & Kashmir, new termites - Mongabay-India - January 10th, 2020