There are over 40 species of termites in the United States alone. Although they have distinct characteristics, most look similar.
See Image Termite Gallery
There are variations in size and color between termite species. For example, western subterranean termite soldiers have yellowish heads, while western drywood termite soldiers have reddish brown heads. Dampwood and drywood termites tend to be larger than subterranean termites.
Termites have three different castes, each of which performs different roles within the colony. Each caste has unique physical features to help it fulfill its role in the colony.
Even within the same species, termites that belong to different castes can look very different.
WorkersWorker termites tend to be lighter in color. Workers are the smallest of the castes. In general, workers and nymphs are soft-bodied and look like larvae.
SoldiersSoldiers tend to have worker-like bodies, but with hard heads that are often dark in color and have large jaws. Soldier termites have soft bodies with hard, enlarged heads and large jaws (mandibles) that help them protect the colony. Fully mature, reproductive termites have wings and hard bodies that prepare them for leaving the nest to start new colonies.
Alates Or Flying TermitesAlates (swarmers) have wings and hard exoskeletons that may be very dark in color. Additionally, flying and swarming termites can be recognized by their prominent wings. Flying termites have two sets of wings of equal length, and these wings are almost twice the size of the termites body. Termite swarmers appear to have two body segments with a straight abdomen, and straight antennae.
Subterranean Worker and Soldier
Termite Look AlikesSome homeowners may confuse flying ants and flying termites. Pest control experts are trained to distinguish between these two insects based on differences in their appearance.
Can You See Termites with the Human Eye?While the pests are small, termites are visible with the human eye. Winged termites, or swarmers, are somewhat larger than workers and can be more easily spotted. This is helpful since homeowners are most likely to encounter swarmers, which take flight during mating season to look for new nesting sites.
Knowing where termites live helps homeowners identify infestations.
Dampwood termites, for example, are found in areas with moist climates; however, these termites can be found in areas of the home where water leaks occur. They typically set up colonies in damp basements or bathrooms.
Nevada Dampwood Soldier
On the other hand, drywood termites are found in dry environments of the coastal, southeastern and southwestern portions of the U.S. Drywood termites typically live in undamaged, dry wood of houses and apartments.
Drywood Termite Worker
Since the pests eat cellulose found in wood, termites destroy, walls, furniture, and other wooden materials in homes. The damage they do may appear in the form of sagging floors and ceilings or infested wood might look water damaged. Additionally, homeowners may find piles of sawdust, mud tubes or the shed wings of swarmers.
While you should regularly monitor for pest activity, you should contact a trained professional for termite identification, prevention and treatment. Pest control experts can distinguish between termites and other insects, and identify termites by species to make sure prevention and treatment techniques target that specific species- unique behavior.
Difference Between Ants & TermitesMore Pictures of TermitesWhat Color Are Termites?
Read the rest here:
What Do Termites Look Like? Termite Identification
- Bastrop residents express frustration over Hurricane Laura debris pile; City is waiting to be approved by FEMA - KTVE - myarklamiss.com - September 25th, 2020
- How Covid-19 Will Reshape Termite Bait Systems Market : Competitive Outlook By 2026 The Dow Chemical Company, Basf Se, Bayer Ag, Sumitomo Chemical Co.... - September 25th, 2020
- Mysterious Circles in The Desert Explained by Alan Turing Theory From 70 Years Ago - ScienceAlert - September 25th, 2020
- Cheap plastic is flooding developing countries were making new biodegradable materials to help - The Conversation UK - September 22nd, 2020
- Today's Rental was chosen because I was trying to remember if I had ever heard the neighborhood referred to as "SoFlo" - PoPville - September 22nd, 2020
- Termite Bait Systems Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts 2026 The Dow Chemical Company, Basf Se, Bayer Ag, Sumitomo... - September 21st, 2020
- The Oxford Group welcomes another Brazilian company in Boca Raton - The Boca Raton Tribune - September 21st, 2020
- The River: Save the Delta Queen keeping beloved steamboat from termites, slackers, and extinction - User-generated content - September 20th, 2020
- Explore life below the surface - GREAT BEND TRIBUNE - Great Bend Tribune - September 20th, 2020
- Fiber Cement Siding: Worth the Investment? - MSN Money - September 20th, 2020
- As world falls behind on UN wildlife targets, bright spots offer hope - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - September 16th, 2020
- Rogers loves that red hobbit door has become such an attraction - Valley Breeze - September 16th, 2020
- Termite Control Services Market Poised to Expand at a Robust Pace Over 2017 to 2026 - The Market Chronicles - September 16th, 2020
- Cube One Is the Next-Gen Tiny House: Smart, Green and Incredibly Cheap - autoevolution - September 16th, 2020
- Cities like Lagos need building designs that don't just copy global styles - The Conversation CA - September 13th, 2020
- Termite Control Market is Thriving Worldwide 2020 | Trends, Growth and Profit Analysis, Forecast by 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 10th, 2020
- Key End-use Industries to Surge Sales of Termite Control Services Market During the COVID-19 pandemic - The Daily Chronicle - September 10th, 2020
- Insect Biodiversity Center to promote insect conservation, healthy ecosystems - ScienceBlog.com - September 10th, 2020
- Learning about possum on the half shell | Voices | republic-online.com - Miami County Republic - September 10th, 2020
- Property Clinic: What is causing creaky floorboards in my house? - The Irish Times - September 8th, 2020
- Outlook on the Termite Control Products and Services Market to 2025 by Application, End-user and Geography - Express Journal - September 7th, 2020
- Viance agreement will supply UltraPole NXT treated poles to utilities - LBM Journal - September 5th, 2020
- Ants and humans have shaped each others destinies - The Economist - September 4th, 2020
- She studies fish that look like zebras and rats to better understand the ocean's ecology - News@Northeastern - September 2nd, 2020
- Nature Notes: Chimney swifts dine on the nastiest of bugs - theday.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Outdoor Cabinetry Open to Southern Cypress Building-Products - Building-Products.com - September 2nd, 2020
- How to get the upper body of a burrowing frog - Science Codex - September 2nd, 2020
- Jeffrey Allen Etheridge - The Wilson Times - September 1st, 2020
- Termite Control Products Market Business Opportunity, Segmentation, Industry Overview and Forecast Till 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 31st, 2020
- Curtis Honeycutt: The Grammar Guy | The rules of et cetera - Brattleboro Reformer - August 31st, 2020
- An affordable home that can withstand a category 5 hurricane? This builder says he has the answer - yoursun.com - August 30th, 2020
- Grammar Guy: The rules of et cetera - Herald and News - August 30th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Research Report | Know more about the Global trends and Applications By 2024 - The Daily Chronicle - August 29th, 2020
- Global Termite Bait Systems Market 2020 SWOT Analysis & Key Business Strategies by Leading Industry Players and Forecast 2026 - Good Night, Good... - August 29th, 2020
- Global and US Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2027 key Companies included in report Bifen I/T, Essentria,... - August 29th, 2020
- Why Do Paliyar Tribals Leave Their Homes And Build New Ones During Termite Infestation? - Youth Ki Awaaz - August 29th, 2020
- The Bold and the Beautiful's Tanner Novlan Sends a Swoon-Worthy Birthday Message to His Wife - Soaps.com - August 29th, 2020
- Termite Control Products and Services Market with Future Prospects, Key Player SWOT Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Express Journal - August 29th, 2020
- A chiral surprise in the rainforest - Science Codex - August 29th, 2020
- Termite Control Products Market to Flourish with an Impressive Cagr During 2020-2026 - Owned - August 29th, 2020
- Impact of Outbreak of COVID-19 on Edible Insects Market : Changing Strategies To Provide Competitive Edge till 2024 - Scientect - August 29th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Growth, Industry In Depth Research, Advancements, Statistics, Facts and Figures by Forecast 2028 - StartupNG - August 26th, 2020
- Clarksville resident works to improve her neighborhood - Clarksville Now - August 26th, 2020
- Harry J. Cynkus Elected to the Rollins, Inc. Board of Directors - PRNewswire - August 26th, 2020
- Multiple Benefits Suggest Steel Constructions Time Has Arrived - Forbes - August 25th, 2020
- Fresh take: The rules of et cetera, Latin term that means 'and the rest' Grammar Guy - yoursun.com - August 25th, 2020
- Effective Ways of Controlling Termites - South Florida Reporter - August 24th, 2020
- Termite Control System Market 2020 Global analysis, opportunities and forecast to 2026 | By Top Leading Vendors like Dowdupont, BASF, Bayer, Sumitomo... - August 24th, 2020
- Around the House: Carpenter ants a nuisance, but not threat like termites - Colorado Springs Gazette - August 24th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Size 2020 Industry Growth, Future Trends, Business Opportunities, Emerging Technologies, Competitive Landscape, Sales Revenue... - August 24th, 2020
- How abandoned mines, like the Gold King, threaten the Wests drinking water - Deseret News - August 24th, 2020
- Digging Deep: The Secrets Within Termite Nests - Entomology Today - August 20th, 2020
- The evolution of chimp skills - Cosmos - August 20th, 2020
- Pest Control Market : Projection of Each Major Segment over the Forecast Period COVID-19 2026 - Scientect - August 20th, 2020
- Acceleration of the Social Gap in Iran Is Like a Train Heading Towards a Social Explosion - Iran Focus - August 20th, 2020
- Preserving your home's "good bones" | Home protection tips with HGTV's Mina Starsiak Hawk - CBS News 8 - August 19th, 2020
- Houses are influencers now, and this one burned to the ground - The Verge - August 19th, 2020
- Tiny elephant shrew species documented in Horn of Africa for first time in nearly 50 years - SCNow - August 19th, 2020
- COLUMN: News-Times 'pours it on' with Vernon Thompson eulogy - Carolinacoastonline - August 19th, 2020
- Tiny elephant shrew species documented in Horn of Africa for first time in nearly 50 years - Martinsville Bulletin - August 18th, 2020
- Termite-fishing chimpanzees provide clues to the evolution of technology - University of Miami - August 18th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Flying Ants in Your Home, According to Pest Experts - Prevention.com - August 18th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Size and Growth By Leading Vendors, By Types and Application, By End Users and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 18th, 2020
- In the World's Toughest Race, Bear Grylls is the gift that just keeps on going - The Spinoff - August 15th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Size by Top Companies, Regions, Types and Application, End Users and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 15th, 2020
- Termite Control System Market Report, History And Forecast 2020-2025, Breakdown Data By Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types And Application - The Daily... - August 13th, 2020
- Check Out the Innovative Winners of LACMA's Art + Technology Grant - Hyperallergic - August 13th, 2020
- Peter Okoye enjoys a meal of termites, reveals other insects he loves eating - Legit - August 12th, 2020
- Cameroon cancels logging plan that threatened rare apes - Devdiscourse - August 12th, 2020
- Growth of Biological Pest Control Market has been derived from the growing CAGR 2020-2028 - The Daily Chronicle - August 12th, 2020
- Are more pests popping up because of the COVID-19 pandemic? - KVUE.com - August 12th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market Size, Share, Segmentation, Business Growth, Top Key Players, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast to 2027 -... - August 12th, 2020
- Loved and Lost: No matter where she lived, Harriet Hohman felt most at home on a stage - NorthJersey.com - August 10th, 2020
- Sacred Heart School - Kalyan's Biomimicry Lab's discovery could change building construction technology i - Times of India - August 9th, 2020
- Termite Control Market 2020 Size by Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecast to 2027 - Owned - August 9th, 2020
- Petition To Remove Farrakhan From Twitter Gains Signatures - The Jewish Voice - August 9th, 2020
- ServiceMaster Names Brett T. Ponton as Its Next Chief Executive Officer - Business Wire - August 8th, 2020
- article image World's most trafficked animal gives Trump new way to hit China - Digital Journal - August 8th, 2020
- Photos found forgotten in a Tulsa home reunited with family - kjrh.com - August 7th, 2020
- Petition to remove Farrakhan from Twitter gains 1400 signatures and counting - Cleveland Jewish News - August 7th, 2020