NEW YORK (JTA) Although it hasnt yet been determined whether the brutal stabbing of a young father on his way to morning prayers in Ramapo, New York, was a an anti-Jewish hate crime, it was described by the local police chief as a vicious, violent attack and would certainly fit the ugly pattern of violence against identifiably Jewish Jews over recent months.
Like the 64-year-old rabbi who was hit in the head with a brick while on his daily morning walk in Crown Heights. He was hospitalized with a broken nose, missing teeth, stitches on his head and lacerations on his body.
In another case, a pair of men knocked down a Hasidic man walking peacefully along another Crown Heights street and, along with a third assailant, punched the stunned victim mercilessly.
In Borough Park, surveillance video shows a young man on a bicycle riding up from behind and knocking off the victims traditional fur hat.
In another recorded attack, a Jewish boy of 12 or 13 is surrounded and taunted by much older teens. Incredibly, as they menace their target, the boy just continues walking at the same measured pace. One of the group members violently swings at the boys hat, which flies off.
Another man is shown throwing a brick through the window of a Hasidic girls school in Crown Heights. That same night in Borough Park, at least three identifiably Orthodox men were punched repeatedly by assailants.
A woman and her children were attacked on Rosh Hashanah; the assailant ripped off her wig. Many other attacks were endured where no camera caught them.
To watch the surveillance videos that exist is to be painfully transported to another place and time. But the place on the screen isnt a Polish town and the time isnt the 1930s. The place is usually Brooklyn and the time is now.
What strikes a viewer of the videos is the sheer ferociousness of the attackers. Their victims dont provoke them in any way, but they attack with sheer brutality, striking out with maximum force and gusto.
Some, understandably, see in such crimes the most serious example of raw anti-Semitism in our days.
Anti-Semitic crimes have undergone a dramatic increase in the five boroughs this year, with 163 incidents reported though September, compared to 108 last year during the same time period, according to the New York City Police Department. Anti-Semitic incidents comprise 52 percent of reported hate crimes in New York City.
There is no doubt that many of the crimes are vicious, and no doubt that law enforcement authorities need to give greater protection to residents of Jewish neighborhoods. Increased real-time surveillance and undercover operations are undeniably in order.
But the ugliness of the attacks should not distract us Jews from a greater threat to our well-being and lives.
Because the hoodlums attacking innocent Jews in Brooklyn neighborhoods are, all said, just that: hoodlums.
They arent organized in any way, at least not beyond emulating one another for bragging rights. They are just punks and cowards. What great courage it takes to attack an unarmed and unsuspecting person from behind.
To be sure, no effort should be spared to catch and punish them.
Or to educate them. The ADL is spending $250,000 on No Place for Hate in Brooklyn, which will allow the program to be implemented in up to 40 schools across the borough this academic year, up from 22 at present.
Such efforts are worthwhile, although one wonders whether the sort of young people committing violent crimes are terribly attentive students.
Laudable human energy has been invested, too, in fostering good will among different communities living side by side in Brooklyn neighborhoods.
But the greater threat to Jews and not just Orthodox ones is less visible and thus even more dangerous than street brutes. It is organized, ideology-driven Jew-hatred.
Anti-Semitic ideologies come in a variety of noxious flavors. There is radical Islamist animus and the loathsome demagoguery of Louis Farrakhan, who compares Jews to termites. But when it comes to bombing or shooting up shuls or Jewish community centers, the predominant poison, it cant be denied, is white supremacy.
It is well documented how white supremacists use the web to bond, share advice and make plans. Using the web and social media, neo-Nazis promote wild conspiracy theories about Jews. One white power podcast, Strike and Mike, recently exposed the Impossible Burger, a meatless patty, as a Jewish plot to poison goys and, somehow, to make it impossible for working people to be able to afford meat, make it impossible for working people to drive automobiles, make it impossible for average people to live in an industrial society. It would be hilarious were it not that such fantasies are swallowed whole by intellect-challenged haters.
All anti-Semitism is mindless and evil. And all of it needs to be confronted and countered in every possible way. But we must not allow images of muggings, no matter how horrific and heart-wrenching, to obscure the more malignant machinations humming away day and night, largely undetectable, across cyberspace.
In the end, while no effort should be spared in fostering good relations among neighbors and in fighting hardened haters, we Jews do well to beseech the Creator to protect us from all evil.
Jewish man repeatedly stabbed outside New York synagogue
The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of JTA or its parent company, 70 Faces Media.
- Bastrop residents express frustration over Hurricane Laura debris pile; City is waiting to be approved by FEMA - KTVE - myarklamiss.com - September 25th, 2020
- How Covid-19 Will Reshape Termite Bait Systems Market : Competitive Outlook By 2026 The Dow Chemical Company, Basf Se, Bayer Ag, Sumitomo Chemical Co.... - September 25th, 2020
- Mysterious Circles in The Desert Explained by Alan Turing Theory From 70 Years Ago - ScienceAlert - September 25th, 2020
- Cheap plastic is flooding developing countries were making new biodegradable materials to help - The Conversation UK - September 22nd, 2020
- Today's Rental was chosen because I was trying to remember if I had ever heard the neighborhood referred to as "SoFlo" - PoPville - September 22nd, 2020
- Termite Bait Systems Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts 2026 The Dow Chemical Company, Basf Se, Bayer Ag, Sumitomo... - September 21st, 2020
- The Oxford Group welcomes another Brazilian company in Boca Raton - The Boca Raton Tribune - September 21st, 2020
- The River: Save the Delta Queen keeping beloved steamboat from termites, slackers, and extinction - User-generated content - September 20th, 2020
- Explore life below the surface - GREAT BEND TRIBUNE - Great Bend Tribune - September 20th, 2020
- Fiber Cement Siding: Worth the Investment? - MSN Money - September 20th, 2020
- As world falls behind on UN wildlife targets, bright spots offer hope - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - September 16th, 2020
- Rogers loves that red hobbit door has become such an attraction - Valley Breeze - September 16th, 2020
- Termite Control Services Market Poised to Expand at a Robust Pace Over 2017 to 2026 - The Market Chronicles - September 16th, 2020
- Cube One Is the Next-Gen Tiny House: Smart, Green and Incredibly Cheap - autoevolution - September 16th, 2020
- Cities like Lagos need building designs that don't just copy global styles - The Conversation CA - September 13th, 2020
- Termite Control Market is Thriving Worldwide 2020 | Trends, Growth and Profit Analysis, Forecast by 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 10th, 2020
- Key End-use Industries to Surge Sales of Termite Control Services Market During the COVID-19 pandemic - The Daily Chronicle - September 10th, 2020
- Insect Biodiversity Center to promote insect conservation, healthy ecosystems - ScienceBlog.com - September 10th, 2020
- Learning about possum on the half shell | Voices | republic-online.com - Miami County Republic - September 10th, 2020
- Property Clinic: What is causing creaky floorboards in my house? - The Irish Times - September 8th, 2020
- Outlook on the Termite Control Products and Services Market to 2025 by Application, End-user and Geography - Express Journal - September 7th, 2020
- Viance agreement will supply UltraPole NXT treated poles to utilities - LBM Journal - September 5th, 2020
- Ants and humans have shaped each others destinies - The Economist - September 4th, 2020
- She studies fish that look like zebras and rats to better understand the ocean's ecology - News@Northeastern - September 2nd, 2020
- Nature Notes: Chimney swifts dine on the nastiest of bugs - theday.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Outdoor Cabinetry Open to Southern Cypress Building-Products - Building-Products.com - September 2nd, 2020
- How to get the upper body of a burrowing frog - Science Codex - September 2nd, 2020
- Jeffrey Allen Etheridge - The Wilson Times - September 1st, 2020
- Termite Control Products Market Business Opportunity, Segmentation, Industry Overview and Forecast Till 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 31st, 2020
- Curtis Honeycutt: The Grammar Guy | The rules of et cetera - Brattleboro Reformer - August 31st, 2020
- An affordable home that can withstand a category 5 hurricane? This builder says he has the answer - yoursun.com - August 30th, 2020
- Grammar Guy: The rules of et cetera - Herald and News - August 30th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Research Report | Know more about the Global trends and Applications By 2024 - The Daily Chronicle - August 29th, 2020
- Global Termite Bait Systems Market 2020 SWOT Analysis & Key Business Strategies by Leading Industry Players and Forecast 2026 - Good Night, Good... - August 29th, 2020
- Global and US Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2027 key Companies included in report Bifen I/T, Essentria,... - August 29th, 2020
- Why Do Paliyar Tribals Leave Their Homes And Build New Ones During Termite Infestation? - Youth Ki Awaaz - August 29th, 2020
- The Bold and the Beautiful's Tanner Novlan Sends a Swoon-Worthy Birthday Message to His Wife - Soaps.com - August 29th, 2020
- Termite Control Products and Services Market with Future Prospects, Key Player SWOT Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Express Journal - August 29th, 2020
- A chiral surprise in the rainforest - Science Codex - August 29th, 2020
- Termite Control Products Market to Flourish with an Impressive Cagr During 2020-2026 - Owned - August 29th, 2020
- Impact of Outbreak of COVID-19 on Edible Insects Market : Changing Strategies To Provide Competitive Edge till 2024 - Scientect - August 29th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Growth, Industry In Depth Research, Advancements, Statistics, Facts and Figures by Forecast 2028 - StartupNG - August 26th, 2020
- Clarksville resident works to improve her neighborhood - Clarksville Now - August 26th, 2020
- Harry J. Cynkus Elected to the Rollins, Inc. Board of Directors - PRNewswire - August 26th, 2020
- Multiple Benefits Suggest Steel Constructions Time Has Arrived - Forbes - August 25th, 2020
- Fresh take: The rules of et cetera, Latin term that means 'and the rest' Grammar Guy - yoursun.com - August 25th, 2020
- Effective Ways of Controlling Termites - South Florida Reporter - August 24th, 2020
- Termite Control System Market 2020 Global analysis, opportunities and forecast to 2026 | By Top Leading Vendors like Dowdupont, BASF, Bayer, Sumitomo... - August 24th, 2020
- Around the House: Carpenter ants a nuisance, but not threat like termites - Colorado Springs Gazette - August 24th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Size 2020 Industry Growth, Future Trends, Business Opportunities, Emerging Technologies, Competitive Landscape, Sales Revenue... - August 24th, 2020
- How abandoned mines, like the Gold King, threaten the Wests drinking water - Deseret News - August 24th, 2020
- Digging Deep: The Secrets Within Termite Nests - Entomology Today - August 20th, 2020
- The evolution of chimp skills - Cosmos - August 20th, 2020
- Pest Control Market : Projection of Each Major Segment over the Forecast Period COVID-19 2026 - Scientect - August 20th, 2020
- Acceleration of the Social Gap in Iran Is Like a Train Heading Towards a Social Explosion - Iran Focus - August 20th, 2020
- Preserving your home's "good bones" | Home protection tips with HGTV's Mina Starsiak Hawk - CBS News 8 - August 19th, 2020
- Houses are influencers now, and this one burned to the ground - The Verge - August 19th, 2020
- Tiny elephant shrew species documented in Horn of Africa for first time in nearly 50 years - SCNow - August 19th, 2020
- COLUMN: News-Times 'pours it on' with Vernon Thompson eulogy - Carolinacoastonline - August 19th, 2020
- Tiny elephant shrew species documented in Horn of Africa for first time in nearly 50 years - Martinsville Bulletin - August 18th, 2020
- Termite-fishing chimpanzees provide clues to the evolution of technology - University of Miami - August 18th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Flying Ants in Your Home, According to Pest Experts - Prevention.com - August 18th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Size and Growth By Leading Vendors, By Types and Application, By End Users and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 18th, 2020
- In the World's Toughest Race, Bear Grylls is the gift that just keeps on going - The Spinoff - August 15th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Size by Top Companies, Regions, Types and Application, End Users and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 15th, 2020
- Termite Control System Market Report, History And Forecast 2020-2025, Breakdown Data By Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types And Application - The Daily... - August 13th, 2020
- Check Out the Innovative Winners of LACMA's Art + Technology Grant - Hyperallergic - August 13th, 2020
- Peter Okoye enjoys a meal of termites, reveals other insects he loves eating - Legit - August 12th, 2020
- Cameroon cancels logging plan that threatened rare apes - Devdiscourse - August 12th, 2020
- Growth of Biological Pest Control Market has been derived from the growing CAGR 2020-2028 - The Daily Chronicle - August 12th, 2020
- Are more pests popping up because of the COVID-19 pandemic? - KVUE.com - August 12th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market Size, Share, Segmentation, Business Growth, Top Key Players, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast to 2027 -... - August 12th, 2020
- Loved and Lost: No matter where she lived, Harriet Hohman felt most at home on a stage - NorthJersey.com - August 10th, 2020
- Sacred Heart School - Kalyan's Biomimicry Lab's discovery could change building construction technology i - Times of India - August 9th, 2020
- Termite Control Market 2020 Size by Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecast to 2027 - Owned - August 9th, 2020
- Petition To Remove Farrakhan From Twitter Gains Signatures - The Jewish Voice - August 9th, 2020
- ServiceMaster Names Brett T. Ponton as Its Next Chief Executive Officer - Business Wire - August 8th, 2020
- article image World's most trafficked animal gives Trump new way to hit China - Digital Journal - August 8th, 2020
- Photos found forgotten in a Tulsa home reunited with family - kjrh.com - August 7th, 2020
- Petition to remove Farrakhan from Twitter gains 1400 signatures and counting - Cleveland Jewish News - August 7th, 2020