The award-winning BeauSoleil Home, for a decade a point of pride on the University of Louisiana at Lafayette campus, was built to withstand 140 mph hurricane winds. But it couldnt survive the Formosa termite.
UL Lafayette President E. Joseph Savoie has requested that the University of Louisiana System permit the local campus to demolish the 800-square-foot structure because of an on-going termite and maintenance problem.
In a Nov. 7 letter to system President James Henderson, Savoie wrote, It will be more costly to repair this facility than its value.
Success! An email has been sent with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
To demolish the home, UL Lafayette needs approval from the systems Board of Supervisors, which is scheduled to vote on the request Thursday at its December meeting in Baton Rouge. Thats in keeping with state law regarding demolition of state buildings.
But the demolition wont come without regrets. The BeauSoleil Home was designed and created by a UL Lafayette student team and competed in the 2009 SolarDecathlon, an international university competition hosted by the U.S. Department of Energy in Washington, D.C.
Competitors usually hail from prestigious institutions, and UL Lafayette prized its place among the 2009 finalist field for a sustainable home that drew upon native Louisiana architectural themes and accented Louisiana lifestyles, including kitchen and outdoor entertainment. UL Lafayettes Team BeauSoleil took honors that year for Peoples Choice and Market Viability.
Architect Magazine described the BeauSoleil House as a traditional dogtrot-style house with a twist: The 10-foot-square dogtrot corridor forms a traditional porch. The porch could be open or closed to the elements using hanging and sliding doors.
The one-bedroom home featured a rain catchment system, skylight, wraparound porch and a solar thermal system. It generated its own electricity and water and was designed to build from $125,000 to $150,000.
The house is a hybrid structure that combines Louisiana culture and lifestyle with modern sustainable technology, UL Lafayette says on its website. The campus hosted tours of the home.
Scott Hebert, UL Lafayettes manager of facility planning, said the campus has been battling the Formosa termite problem at the BeauSoleil Home for about three years, defeating termites in one part of the house only to have them surface elsewhere later.
We noticed them in the walls, then in the floor a year later, he said. After they treated there, UL found the termites in another wall.
Donald Braly, termite manager for J&J Pest Control in Lafayette, said Formosa termites came to the U.S. from Asia in the 1950s, entering the U.S. through ports. He said by the early 2000s, they were an emerging problem for South Louisiana homeowners and have since become more prevalent in his companys service area, which extends from Morgan City to Opelousas, Butte La Rose to Duson.
He said the Formosa termites thrive in decaying trees and rotting wood and can strike homes from under the ground and in the air. High temperatures and humidity encourage their existence, he said.
Theyre here for sure, Braly said. Theyre not going anywhere.
He said his company gets an above average number of calls for neighborhoods near Girard Park, which the BeauSoleil Home faces. The BeauSoleil Home was placed near Fletcher Hall, where the art and architecture departments reside, with a March 2010 dedication ceremony.
Hebert said the BeauSoleil Home was a great building, a great project for the (design) team. But, he said, it wasnt designed to last forever on campus.
He said most new structures on UL Lafayettes campus are built with concrete and steel and wont enable termites to thrive.
See the original post here:
Termites prove terminal for UL Lafayette's treasured BeauSoleil Home - The Advocate
- Termite Bait System Products Market: Quantitative Analysis from 2019 to 2025 to Enable the Stakeholders to Capitalize on the Prevailing Termite Bait... - January 18th, 2020
- National Review Shouldn't Join The Left In Blaming Jews For Antisemitism - The Federalist - January 18th, 2020
- Thailand termite spray commercial - Boing Boing - January 16th, 2020
- Why is this Women's March different from all the others? - Washington Jewish Week - January 16th, 2020
- Bill Kirby Jr.: Once the bulldozers and excavators roar on South Main in Hope Mills ... - The Fayetteville Observer - January 16th, 2020
- A Cockroach vs. Water Bug: Here's How to Tell the Difference & Get Rid of Them for Good - Prevention.com - January 16th, 2020
- Becky Thatcher home preserved - Hannibal.net - January 14th, 2020
- Who Are The 2020 Womens March Speakers? The Organization Says No One. - Sara A. Carter - January 14th, 2020
- Letters to the editor Monday: - Savannah Morning News - January 14th, 2020
- Similarities between humans and chimpanzees include the ability to teach, F&M researchers say - LancasterOnline - January 12th, 2020
- Keeping house in your absence - The Tribune - January 12th, 2020
- Column: To the grocery store - every day - Milford Daily News - January 12th, 2020
- Your Environment This Week: Future green crusaders, land use change in Jammu & Kashmir, new termites - Mongabay-India - January 10th, 2020
- Termite Bait Systems Market 2019: Analysis And Forecast By The Dow Chemical Company, BASF, Bayer, Sumitomo Chemical, Syngenta, Rentokil Initial,... - January 10th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Advance Technology And New Innovations 2020 To 2027 - Food & Beverage Herald - January 10th, 2020
- Anti-Semitism won't be cured by education, but it's a first step - Washington Examiner - January 10th, 2020
- Monkeys smashing nuts with stones hint at how human tool use evolved - The Conversation US - January 10th, 2020
- Global Termite Control System Market 2019 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Food & Beverage... - January 9th, 2020
- Termite Bait Systems Market Report by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application Forecast 2019 2025 - Expert Recorder - January 9th, 2020
- Viance offers environmentally advanced utility pole and crossarm preservative alternative to penta - Utility Products - January 9th, 2020
- Young and fearless give hope for protecting rights in India - Chicago Daily Herald - January 9th, 2020
- Rollins, Inc. Schedules Date For Release Of Fourth Quarter And Full Year 2019 Results - Yahoo Finance - January 7th, 2020
- Chimps share tools when tasks gets tough - Cosmos - January 7th, 2020
- Perspective on Knowledge: The challenge of emergence - KMWorld Magazine - January 4th, 2020
- The Great British Bake Offs Prue Leith says we may eat more insects in future - The Independent - January 4th, 2020
- Termite Control Services Market Report (2019-2025) | The demand for the Market will drastically increase in the Future - Chief Analyst - January 4th, 2020
- Ab Rogers returns to Wonderfruit festival in Thailand - Wallpaper* - January 2nd, 2020
- Why the New Year has begun on a depressing note - Yahoo Finance UK - January 2nd, 2020
- Florida Matters 2019 In Review: Honey Bees, Coral Reefs, And The Environment - WUSF News - January 1st, 2020
- Memories live on during the holiday season | Commentary - Olean Times Herald - January 1st, 2020
- Termites eating into green cover of City Beautiful - The Tribune - December 29th, 2019
- Open Letter Protesting CAA | Letters to the Editor - India West - December 29th, 2019
- Goualougo chimpanzees more likely to teach and share tools for complex tasks - English Forward - December 29th, 2019
- No progress visible at the blighted Buddy Bolden house, but work may begin soon - NOLA.com - December 29th, 2019
- Protestors in non-BJP states cooking biryani and singing songs; in BJP-ruled states why are they 'violent'? - TheTrends24 - December 29th, 2019
- Trends in the Termite Control Market 2019-2027 - Market Research Sheets - December 27th, 2019
- Is There Mold in Your House? | Millionacres - Motley Fool - December 26th, 2019
- Chimpanzees more likely to share tools, teach skills when task is complex - Washington University in St. Louis Newsroom - December 26th, 2019
- Chimp study may give insight into the evolution of human complexity - Haaretz - December 24th, 2019
- The global household insecticides market is accounted to US$ 11,785.9 Mn in 2018 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 5.2% during the forecast period... - December 24th, 2019
- Future use of East Hampton town hall could be fun but remains a mystery - Middletown Press - December 24th, 2019
- Chlorpyrifos Market New Innovations, Research and Growth Factor till 2024 - Market Reports Observer - December 24th, 2019
- In India, Thousands Protest Citizenship Law That Excludes Muslims - The Organization for World Peace - December 22nd, 2019
- Termite Bait Systems Market 2019: Global Opportunity And Growth Analysis By The Dow Chemical Company, BASF, Bayer, Sumitomo Chemical, Syngenta,... - December 21st, 2019
- A new law in India could put Muslims at greater risk of persecution, like the Rohingya - The Conversation AU - December 19th, 2019
- The Ant, the Woodpecker, and the 3-D Printer: A Tale of Interdepartmental Collaboration - Newswise - December 19th, 2019
- Termites And Expansion Of Sharia Law In Nigerian Constitution By Frederick Odorige - SaharaReporters.com - December 18th, 2019
- Viance Offers Environmentally Advanced Utility Pole and Crossarm Preservative Alternative to Penta - PRNewswire - December 18th, 2019
- The marvellous mystery of the fairy circles - Particle - December 18th, 2019
- Finance board approves sale of East Hampton town hall building - Middletown Press - December 18th, 2019
- Viance Offers Environmentally Advanced Utility Pole and Crossarm Preservative Alternative to Penta - Yahoo Finance - December 17th, 2019
- Believe it or not, this Vietnam homes design is inspired by termites - Architectural Digest India - December 16th, 2019
- Termite Control Products and Services Market Future Scope With Upcoming Opportunities 2025 (Terminix, Rollins, Rentokil Initial, Anticimex and many... - December 16th, 2019
- Hows the Market? Intermittent Inspections - Ukiah Daily Journal - December 16th, 2019
- Know what are the driving factors of Global Termite Control Products and Services Market growth by key players: Terminix, Rollins, Rentokil Initial -... - December 14th, 2019
- Hows the Market? Intermittent Inspections - Lake County Record-Bee - December 14th, 2019
- Attractive Market Opportunities in the Termite Control Market By 2029 - Neptune Pine - December 14th, 2019
- In Hindu-nationalist India, Muslims risk being branded infiltrators in their own country - CNN - December 14th, 2019
- What Will Be Driving Growth Factor of Termite Control Products and Services Market Near Future - News Description - December 13th, 2019
- The termites eating up India - indica News - December 12th, 2019
- Termite Control Market Size 2019 Focuses on Top Companies, Research Methodology, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 - Drnewsindustry - December 12th, 2019
- Are You Worried About Human Termites Too? - Dunya News - December 10th, 2019
- Swarm Bot Series Part One: Heres What Bees are Teaching Us About the Future of the IoT - IoT For All - December 10th, 2019
- Pheromones and social lives are becoming a liability for insects in changing climates - Salon - December 9th, 2019
- 10 Creepy Things That Are Actually in Beloved Christmas Movies - Screen Rant - December 9th, 2019
- CAB a majoritarian exercise to prove Muslims have lesser place in the new India - The Indian Express - December 8th, 2019
- TONY MELTON: Home on the farm - SCNow - December 8th, 2019
- Hastings celebrates 115 years of the public library - KSNB Local 4 - December 8th, 2019
- Breathing life into classrooms with STEM - NKU The Northerner Online - December 5th, 2019
- Global Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market Status, Company Profiles, Gross Margin and Future Scenario Forecast till 2024 - The Market... - December 5th, 2019
- Pest Control Market expected to Witness a Sustainable Growth over 2026 - Statsflash - December 4th, 2019
- Green Living: The pros and cons of spray foam insulation - NOLA.com - December 4th, 2019
- Tough Love: Re-wilding an orphaned tamandua - The Tico Times - December 4th, 2019
- Dead & Gone promise: We live up to their name - North Fort Myers Neighbor - December 4th, 2019
- Causing and preventing dryrot on eaves - Chicago Daily Herald - December 3rd, 2019
- Termite Control Market Analysis by Top Companies, Driver, Existing Trends and Global Forecast by 2026 - The Market Publicist - December 3rd, 2019
- Termite Control Services Market Insights on Upcoming Trends 2018 to 2027 - Downey Magazine - December 1st, 2019
- Gorillas hum and sing happy little tunes as they eat - Big Think - December 1st, 2019
- Unique chimpanzee cultures are disappearing thanks to humans - Stock Daily Dish - December 1st, 2019
- Rocks for dinner, flying trapeze and negotiating ransom: TPG readers share the strangest things theyve experienced while travelling - The Points Guy... - December 1st, 2019