The award-winning BeauSoleil Home, for a decade a point of pride on the University of Louisiana at Lafayette campus, was built to withstand 140 mph hurricane winds. But it couldnt survive the Formosa termite.
UL Lafayette President E. Joseph Savoie has requested that the University of Louisiana System permit the local campus to demolish the 800-square-foot structure because of an on-going termite and maintenance problem.
In a Nov. 7 letter to system President James Henderson, Savoie wrote, It will be more costly to repair this facility than its value.
Success! An email has been sent with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
To demolish the home, UL Lafayette needs approval from the systems Board of Supervisors, which is scheduled to vote on the request Thursday at its December meeting in Baton Rouge. Thats in keeping with state law regarding demolition of state buildings.
But the demolition wont come without regrets. The BeauSoleil Home was designed and created by a UL Lafayette student team and competed in the 2009 SolarDecathlon, an international university competition hosted by the U.S. Department of Energy in Washington, D.C.
Competitors usually hail from prestigious institutions, and UL Lafayette prized its place among the 2009 finalist field for a sustainable home that drew upon native Louisiana architectural themes and accented Louisiana lifestyles, including kitchen and outdoor entertainment. UL Lafayettes Team BeauSoleil took honors that year for Peoples Choice and Market Viability.
Architect Magazine described the BeauSoleil House as a traditional dogtrot-style house with a twist: The 10-foot-square dogtrot corridor forms a traditional porch. The porch could be open or closed to the elements using hanging and sliding doors.
The one-bedroom home featured a rain catchment system, skylight, wraparound porch and a solar thermal system. It generated its own electricity and water and was designed to build from $125,000 to $150,000.
The house is a hybrid structure that combines Louisiana culture and lifestyle with modern sustainable technology, UL Lafayette says on its website. The campus hosted tours of the home.
Scott Hebert, UL Lafayettes manager of facility planning, said the campus has been battling the Formosa termite problem at the BeauSoleil Home for about three years, defeating termites in one part of the house only to have them surface elsewhere later.
We noticed them in the walls, then in the floor a year later, he said. After they treated there, UL found the termites in another wall.
Donald Braly, termite manager for J&J Pest Control in Lafayette, said Formosa termites came to the U.S. from Asia in the 1950s, entering the U.S. through ports. He said by the early 2000s, they were an emerging problem for South Louisiana homeowners and have since become more prevalent in his companys service area, which extends from Morgan City to Opelousas, Butte La Rose to Duson.
He said the Formosa termites thrive in decaying trees and rotting wood and can strike homes from under the ground and in the air. High temperatures and humidity encourage their existence, he said.
Theyre here for sure, Braly said. Theyre not going anywhere.
He said his company gets an above average number of calls for neighborhoods near Girard Park, which the BeauSoleil Home faces. The BeauSoleil Home was placed near Fletcher Hall, where the art and architecture departments reside, with a March 2010 dedication ceremony.
Hebert said the BeauSoleil Home was a great building, a great project for the (design) team. But, he said, it wasnt designed to last forever on campus.
He said most new structures on UL Lafayettes campus are built with concrete and steel and wont enable termites to thrive.
See the original post here:
Termites prove terminal for UL Lafayette's treasured BeauSoleil Home - The Advocate
- Breathing life into classrooms with STEM - NKU The Northerner Online - December 5th, 2019
- Sponsored: As parents prepare home for sale, rotten eaves problem turns into a gaping hole in the roof and the bill skyrockets - The Mercury News - December 5th, 2019
- Global Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market Status, Company Profiles, Gross Margin and Future Scenario Forecast till 2024 - The Market... - December 5th, 2019
- Pest Control Market expected to Witness a Sustainable Growth over 2026 - Statsflash - December 4th, 2019
- Green Living: The pros and cons of spray foam insulation - NOLA.com - December 4th, 2019
- Tough Love: Re-wilding an orphaned tamandua - The Tico Times - December 4th, 2019
- Dead & Gone promise: We live up to their name - North Fort Myers Neighbor - December 4th, 2019
- Causing and preventing dryrot on eaves - Chicago Daily Herald - December 3rd, 2019
- Termite Control Market Analysis by Top Companies, Driver, Existing Trends and Global Forecast by 2026 - The Market Publicist - December 3rd, 2019
- Tamworth experiences higher than average numbers of cockroaches, ants and termites - The Northern Daily Leader - December 1st, 2019
- Termite Control Services Market Insights on Upcoming Trends 2018 to 2027 - Downey Magazine - December 1st, 2019
- Gorillas hum and sing happy little tunes as they eat - Big Think - December 1st, 2019
- Unique chimpanzee cultures are disappearing thanks to humans - Stock Daily Dish - December 1st, 2019
- Rocks for dinner, flying trapeze and negotiating ransom: TPG readers share the strangest things theyve experienced while travelling - The Points Guy... - December 1st, 2019
- Gilmore Girls: 10 Worst Arguments Lorelai And Rory Ever Had, Ranked - Screen Rant - November 30th, 2019
- Rocks for dinner, flying trapeze and negotiating ransom: TPG readers share the strangest things theyve experienced while traveling - The Points Guy - November 30th, 2019
- There are termites, some fat and funny, some greedy and some with narrow minds - National Herald - November 29th, 2019
- Termite Bait Systems Market Analysis And Demand With Forecast Overview To 2025 - Statsflash - November 29th, 2019
- Action in amber - Cosmos - November 28th, 2019
- Terminix Helps Eliminate Pesty Thanksgiving Table Conversations - StreetInsider.com - November 24th, 2019
- The Five Most Pathetic Times Rick Scott Defended Donald Trump - Miami New Times - November 24th, 2019
- You know em those awful jingles on the radio. Theyre the real songs of San Francisco - San Francisco Chronicle - November 24th, 2019
- The global pest control services market is likely to grow at a CAGR of over 4% during the period 2019-2025 - PRNewswire - November 21st, 2019
- Violence against Jews is reprehensible. But isolated attacks distract us from the bigger threats. - JTA News - November 21st, 2019
- It's the other way around -- termites produce approximately one-tenth of the carbon dioxide emissions created by humans - AFP Factcheck - November 19th, 2019
- What the termite mound 'snowmen' of the NT can tell us about human nature - The Conversation AU - November 19th, 2019
- As Uganda Strives To Be Open Defecation Free, Anti-Toilet Beliefs and Habits Persist - Global Press Journal - November 19th, 2019
- Scientists discover two endemic termite species in the Western Ghats of Kerala - Research Matters - November 18th, 2019
- Pangolins: The Gentle, Ant-eating Oddballs of Africa and Asia - HowStuffWorks - November 18th, 2019
- Dogs are the stars of the show at the Novi Pet Expo - Detroit Free Press - November 18th, 2019
- A place free of judgement: Black, Hispanic and Latinx students are welcomed back home - The Independent Florida Alligator - November 18th, 2019
- Incredible photos of our vanishing wildlife from BBC's Seven Worlds, One Planet - Mirror.co.uk - November 18th, 2019
- Do not spray the firewood with an insecticide - Tyler Morning Telegraph - November 17th, 2019
- Dineshan, Manikandan - Two new species of termites discovered from hills of Idukki - Mathrubhumi English - November 17th, 2019
- How To Kill Termites And Get Rid Of Them Forever - October 10th, 2019
- Termites Minecraft Feedback - October 10th, 2019
- 3 Easy Ways to Get Rid of Flying Termites (Fast) - Pest Wiki - October 10th, 2019
- Kill termites with vinegar is a home remedy - Pests stop - October 10th, 2019
- These Termites Turn Your House into a Palace of Poop ... - October 5th, 2019
- Mound-building termites - Wikipedia - October 5th, 2019
- 13 Different Types of Termites Eating Houses All Over the World - October 3rd, 2019
- What Do Termites Look Like? Termite Identification - Orkin - October 2nd, 2019
- How to Tell the Difference between Ants and Termites - October 1st, 2019
- No Ideas But in Things: A Practitioners Look at ... - May 25th, 2019
- April showers bring May termites - tallahassee.com - April 21st, 2019
- What Do You Do if You See a Termite Swarm? - April 21st, 2019
- Subterranean Termites: Treatment & Control - Get Rid of ... - April 2nd, 2019
- 7 Signs You May Have Termites | Ehrlich Pest Control - March 24th, 2019
- Termites | Mississippi State University Extension Service - March 24th, 2019
- Everything You Should Know About Flying Termites | Western ... - March 24th, 2019
- Keep Termites Out and Know the Sure Signs of an Infestation - March 13th, 2019
- What should you do if you see termite swarmers? | Palmetto ... - March 2nd, 2019
- Termites: Beneficial Insects - Natural Organic Biological ... - March 2nd, 2019
- The 10 Best Termite Companies in Temecula, CA (with Free ... - March 2nd, 2019
- Termites - Havasu - March 2nd, 2019
- How to get rid of termites: 7 best termite killers in 2019 - March 2nd, 2019
- What you need to know about Termite Swarms - Turner Pest Control - March 2nd, 2019
- How to Identify Drywood Termite Droppings | Thrasher Termite ... - March 2nd, 2019
- The Termites - Costa Rica - March 2nd, 2019
- How to Kill Termites Naturally - Keep Bugs Away - March 2nd, 2019
- Drywood Termite Treatment: Get Rid of Drywood Termites - February 28th, 2019
- How do tiny termites make such massive mounds? - February 15th, 2019
- Flying Ants vs. Termites, Termite or Ant? - Orkin.com - February 3rd, 2019
- Signs of Termite Damage | Ehrlich Pest Control - January 31st, 2019
- Termite (Isoptera) - Animals - A-Z Animals - January 31st, 2019
- The Truth About the "Termites" | Psychology Today - December 28th, 2018
- Signs of Termite Damage|Termite Damage|Truly Nolen - November 1st, 2018
- Pictures of Termites | Ehrlich Pest Control - October 31st, 2018
- Termite Control - The Home Depot - October 31st, 2018
- How to Spot Termites: Termite Identification Pictures - October 31st, 2018
- Subterranean Termites Control | Do My Own Pest Control - October 15th, 2018
- Termites - Biology and Control - Browse Popular Publications - September 6th, 2018
- Termites Pest Control Information Perth - August 6th, 2018
- Termites - Nozzle Nolen - July 16th, 2018
- Termite - Field Guide to Common Texas Insects - June 17th, 2018
- What Do Termites Look Like? Signs of Termite Damage - June 2nd, 2018
- Termite Facts for Kids: Termite Information for Students - May 26th, 2018
- What Do Termites Look Like? Termite Identification - April 26th, 2018
- Termite Pictures: Photo Gallery with Images - April 21st, 2018
- Best 17 Termite Control in Fordyce, AR with Reviews - YP.com - March 4th, 2018