What are Eastern Subterranean Termites?
Eastern subterranean termites are small, foraging insects that live in large social colonies. They feed on the cellulose debris found in leaf litter, wood, soil and dung. It is thought that there are around 4,000 species of termites with around 10% of these considered as pests because of the serious damage they can cause to timber and timber framed buildings. Eastern subterranean termites live in colonies underground and are among the most prevalent termite species found on the eastern portion of the country. They are considered a wood damaging pest and will account for over 5 billion dollars in damage repairs to US homes this year.
Termites live in the soil around your home in Washington D.C., Baltimore, and throughout Maryland and Virginia. They spend most of their time foraging for the cellulose material found in dead plant material, fallen timber, and other wood debris. It is not uncommon to unearth termites in the mulch surrounding your home or in a nearby wood pile. When soil conditions are optimal for termite activity, colonies can develop within close proximity to the foundation of your home. When subterranean termites forage for food they often enter homes through tiny cracks in the foundation, many of which are below the soil surface. Once inside, they continue exploratory foraging until wood is located. This food source can be any structural timber behind walls and ceilings where the termites are difficult to detect. In many instances a termite problem will lie undetected for months, or even years.
Eastern subterranean termites are not harmful to humans. However, their ability enter homes in search of a food source can cause massive amounts of damage to buildings and structures if left untreated. With the potential to create weaknesses and even failure in structural members, the impact of termites should not be underestimated.
Getting rid of termites is not such an easy task. Due to the size and location of these sub-soil colonies, termites can forage beneath the surface of the soil for upwards of 300 feet from a viable food source. In urban environments is not uncommon for a termite colony to be living in the soil on a nearby property and continue to forage for food inside your home. Once a source of food is established, termite workers will continue to follow a series of tunnels and passageways beneath the surface of the soil by way of a pheromone trail. American Pests team of highly trained pest control professionals will inspect for active termite infestations inside homes and propose the best termite treatment option that is right for your individual set of circumstances.
A number of unique factors impact the success of any termite control program. Factors such as drainage, foundation type, structural facade and the location of the termite activity must be taken into account. Do-it-yourself termite control solutions are typically aimed at getting rid of termites in a small, targeted area, and will not take into account for any unique circumstances surrounding your home. Additionally, many of these over the counter products are not sufficient in controlling colony growth. The most effective termite control solution is dependent upon careful inspection and observation, as well as a proposed treatment that will successfully eradicate the entire colony, stopping termite foraging at its source. Not sure which termite control is right for you? Let the professionals at American Pest consult with you regarding the options that will best suit your home. Contact us today for a free quote.
At American Pest, we pride ourselves in serving you in the shortest time possible to provide a swift resolution for all your pest problems. For that reason we strive to be with you the same or very next day.
There are many eco-friendly options available for termite control. In addition, all products used by American Pest are EPA registered for pest control use. Our highly trained pest control professionals will follow all appropriate label requirements in an effort to keep pets and humans safe.
Although it is nearly impossible to prevent termites from entering your home or business, there are a number of conducive conditions to be aware of.
Termites forage just below the surface of the soil - keep wood debris from touching the ground and maintain piles of wood or other wooden structures 10-15 feet from the home.
Termites will be attracted to moisture held in decaying mulch - rake and remove mulch annually and replace with new. Do not allow mulch to build up year after year.
Termites are attracted to almost any type of wood, even pressure treated, as it will eventually begin to deteriorate beneath the ground - maintain wood to soil contact as far from the home as possible. This relates to fence posts, wooden sheds, decks, and play sets.
Sprinkler systems that create moist soil will attract termites - added risk for termite colonies.
Tree stumps - when trees or shrubs are removed, remove their root systems as well. Leaving roots and stumps to decay will provide an adequate food source for termites.
What Do Termites Look Like?
Termite Control: Liquid vs Bait
See the original post:
Termite Identification | Termite Control DC, MD And Northern ...
- How To Kill Termites And Get Rid Of Them Forever - October 10th, 2019
- Termites Minecraft Feedback - October 10th, 2019
- 3 Easy Ways to Get Rid of Flying Termites (Fast) - Pest Wiki - October 10th, 2019
- Kill termites with vinegar is a home remedy - Pests stop - October 10th, 2019
- These Termites Turn Your House into a Palace of Poop ... - October 5th, 2019
- Mound-building termites - Wikipedia - October 5th, 2019
- 13 Different Types of Termites Eating Houses All Over the World - October 3rd, 2019
- What Do Termites Look Like? Termite Identification - Orkin - October 2nd, 2019
- How to Tell the Difference between Ants and Termites - October 1st, 2019
- No Ideas But in Things: A Practitioners Look at ... - May 25th, 2019
- April showers bring May termites - tallahassee.com - April 21st, 2019
- What Do You Do if You See a Termite Swarm? - April 21st, 2019
- Subterranean Termites: Treatment & Control - Get Rid of ... - April 2nd, 2019
- 7 Signs You May Have Termites | Ehrlich Pest Control - March 24th, 2019
- Termites | Mississippi State University Extension Service - March 24th, 2019
- Everything You Should Know About Flying Termites | Western ... - March 24th, 2019
- Keep Termites Out and Know the Sure Signs of an Infestation - March 13th, 2019
- What should you do if you see termite swarmers? | Palmetto ... - March 2nd, 2019
- Termites: Beneficial Insects - Natural Organic Biological ... - March 2nd, 2019
- The 10 Best Termite Companies in Temecula, CA (with Free ... - March 2nd, 2019
- Termites - Havasu - March 2nd, 2019
- How to get rid of termites: 7 best termite killers in 2019 - March 2nd, 2019
- What you need to know about Termite Swarms - Turner Pest Control - March 2nd, 2019
- How to Identify Drywood Termite Droppings | Thrasher Termite ... - March 2nd, 2019
- The Termites - Costa Rica - March 2nd, 2019
- How to Kill Termites Naturally - Keep Bugs Away - March 2nd, 2019
- Drywood Termite Treatment: Get Rid of Drywood Termites - February 28th, 2019
- How do tiny termites make such massive mounds? - February 15th, 2019
- Flying Ants vs. Termites, Termite or Ant? - Orkin.com - February 3rd, 2019
- Signs of Termite Damage | Ehrlich Pest Control - January 31st, 2019
- Termite (Isoptera) - Animals - A-Z Animals - January 31st, 2019
- The Truth About the "Termites" | Psychology Today - December 28th, 2018
- Signs of Termite Damage|Termite Damage|Truly Nolen - November 1st, 2018
- Pictures of Termites | Ehrlich Pest Control - October 31st, 2018
- Termite Control - The Home Depot - October 31st, 2018
- How to Spot Termites: Termite Identification Pictures - October 31st, 2018
- Subterranean Termites Control | Do My Own Pest Control - October 15th, 2018
- Termites - Biology and Control - Browse Popular Publications - September 6th, 2018
- Termites Pest Control Information Perth - August 6th, 2018
- Termites - Nozzle Nolen - July 16th, 2018
- Termite - Field Guide to Common Texas Insects - June 17th, 2018
- What Do Termites Look Like? Signs of Termite Damage - June 2nd, 2018
- Termite Facts for Kids: Termite Information for Students - May 26th, 2018
- What Do Termites Look Like? Termite Identification - April 26th, 2018
- Termite Pictures: Photo Gallery with Images - April 21st, 2018
- Best 17 Termite Control in Fordyce, AR with Reviews - YP.com - March 4th, 2018
- Termites in Southwest Florida | Lenny's Bug Blog - February 28th, 2018
- End Of Termites | Terminator The best anti-termite ... - February 14th, 2018
- How to Get Rid of Termites - Pest Control Products - February 9th, 2018
- Termites - All About Termites - domyown.com - February 6th, 2018
- Termites | Dreamworks Animation Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - February 3rd, 2018
- How to Treat Termites on Trees | Home Guides | SF Gate - February 3rd, 2018
- Prevent and Treat Termites to Avoid Damage to a House ... - January 21st, 2018
- Termites in Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, Pittsburgh ... - January 5th, 2018
- Termites in Potted Plants | Home Guides | SF Gate - January 3rd, 2018
- Subterranean Termites - extension2.missouri.edu - December 29th, 2017
- What Kinds of Termites do we Have in Georgia? - December 27th, 2017
- Signs of Termites: How to Detect Termite Evidence - December 17th, 2017
- What Are Termites? - December 15th, 2017
- Lewis Terman - Wikipedia - December 4th, 2017
- Termite Facts - Softschools.com - December 3rd, 2017
- Termites | Horticulture and Home Pest News - December 3rd, 2017
- Termite Facts for Kids - December 3rd, 2017
- Are Termites Harmful to Humans? | Termite Treatment And ... - December 3rd, 2017
- What "Wood" a Termite Prefer To Eat? - November 25th, 2017
- Termites - All About Termites - DoMyOwnPestControl.com - November 25th, 2017
- Termite Inspection | Truly Nolen - November 24th, 2017
- Best 30 Termite Control in Villas, NJ with Reviews - YP.com - November 18th, 2017
- What Do Termites Look Like Exactly? Find Out How! - November 17th, 2017
- Subterranean Termites - How To Kill and Get Rid of ... - November 17th, 2017
- The Signs of Termite Infestation - Florida Pest Control - November 17th, 2017
- 9 Signs of Termites Infestation | Kill Termites Guide - November 17th, 2017
- Termite Control Cost Muskegon MI - Pest Control - ESFS - November 16th, 2017
- 4 Best Termite Control, Inspection Services - Waterbury CT ... - November 4th, 2017
- 3 Ways to Protect Your Home from Termites - wikiHow - October 16th, 2017
- How to Kill Termites: Best Ways to Get Rid of Termites ... - October 7th, 2017
- Termite Fast Facts: What You Need To Know - The Spruce - October 1st, 2017
- Formosan Termites - How to Kill and Get Rid of Formosan Termites - September 23rd, 2017
- Giving air to earthworms and termites - Farm Weekly - September 6th, 2017
- Meet the 'Terminator' of sanitary waste - Oherald - September 2nd, 2017