Facts, Identification & ControlLatin Name
Reticulitermes spp., Coptotermes spp. and Heterotermes spp.
What Do They Look Like?
Termites are broadly divided into three major termite groups:
If you are trying to classify a specific termite colony into a group, you need to look at the soldiers and the alates, the winged, unmated reproductive caste, because worker termites across groups tend to look the same. Also important is the appearance of the damage wood they consume.
Identification factors for subterranean termites are:
These pests live in the soil beneath and around homes and often enter through wood that touches the ground or by constructing mud tubes from the ground to the wood they infest. Cracks in concrete walls and foundations made of hollow blocks are also paths these insects could take to infest a house.
As the most common type of termite nationwide, subterranean termites cause billions of dollars in structural damage each year. They also eat books, other paper products, cellulose-based products, and a variety of other plant-based goods.
Some colonies have more than one egg-laying female, so subterranean termite nests can grow quickly and contain hundreds and sometimes thousands of members. Since the pests can often infest homes for years undetected, responding to early warning signs is key to preventing serious damage. The most commonly observed warning signs are the presence of winged swarmers, mud tubes and evidence of damaged wood.
What Orkin Does
Continuous Treatment PlansWith Orkin, you receive the most dependable termite control from an industry leader. Our Continuous Protection Plans use scientifically proven treatments designed for your homes construction type, and every one of those treatments is backed by a money-back guarantee. Weve been around for more than 100 years, so you can be confident well be here when you need us.
Customized treatmentBased on the layout of your home and the degree of termite infestation, Orkin will create a treatment plan tailored for your home.
Read more about Orkin termite treatment plans.
SwarmersA subterranean termite infestation begins when warm temperatures and heavy rainfall trigger an established colony to send out a swarm of winged termites. Swarms consist of winged reproductive males and females. Subterranean termite colonies are usually active for three to five years before winged reproductives appear.
Winged, reproductive termites are frequently mistaken for flying ants, but are smaller than ants and have straight, rather than bent, antennae. Termite swarmers have four wings that are all the same size. Ant swarmers have two large wings in front and two smaller wings behind.
Piles of WingsAfter mating, swarmer termites land and shed their wings, leaving them in piles that resemble fish scales. If there are piles of wings on windowsills of your home, check to see if they are all the same size. They could be termite wingsespecially if they are all the same size.
Damaged WoodSubterranean termites create a distinctive honeycomb pattern in damaged wood, forming tunnels inside the softer spring wood and leaving the external grain intact.
Where do they live?Live in colonies underground, from which they build tunnels in search of food; able to reach food above the ground level by building mud tubes; dependent on moisture for survival.
What do they eat?Diet consists ofwood and other cellulose material.
Different rates of growth from egg stage to adult, depending on individual species; one primaryqueen per colony, which can lay tens of thousands of eggs in its lifetime, but eggs alsocan be laid by supplementary reproductives in an established colony.
Read more about subterranean termite reproduction.
Subterranean Termite Colony
If you are constructing a new home, especially in a high-risk area, it is advisable that you obtain estimates from reliable professionals for termite-proofing your home. Pest control professionals are best equipped to take preventive measures, which could save homeowners from severe loss. Pest control experts will also be able to make recommendations that can help to prevent termite infestation.
There are over 2,300 described species of termite living today. Many of them are found in tropical and subtropical regions such as deserts and rain forests. However, there are more than 50species that have been found living in the United States. Collectively, they are responsible for an average of $1 billion per year in property damages, infesting 350,000 structures.
These numerous species are broken down into subterranean termites, dampwood termites and drywood termites. The three types of termites differ in colony-building habits and preferred climate. Subterranean termites build large colonies underground, which are composed of elaborate tunnels and chambers. Worker termites then construct protective tunnels made of mud and saliva in order to reach above-ground wood. When subterranean termites eat wood, they fill it with soil to help maintain the humidity. If mud tunnels are visible on the walls or foundation of your home, it is highly likely that you are experiencing a subterranean termite infestation.
Subterranean Termites Working
Subterranean vs DrywoodAlternatively, drywood termites make their nests within cellulose-based materials such as lumber, siding and wooden trim. They require no soil contact and get their moisture from the wood.They also attack floors, furniture and books. Drywood termites can be more difficult to detect and arent typically noticeable until small piles of pellets (their feces) collect.
Subterranean vs DampwoodDampwood termites locate their colonies in wood that is wet and even decaying. Wood that is in contact with the soil or wood that is constantly wet are ideal nesting sites for these termites. They are common in the Southwest and along the Pacific Coast. They are also found in Florida. If your home has leaky pipes or other moisture situations, it may be attractive to dampwood termites.
Subterranean termites are found throughout the United States, but are relatively scarce in the colder states. They occur in greater numbers in warm, southern states. However they exist in every state except Alaska. They are most common in the humid, subtropical southbetween Florida and Southern California.
Arid Land Subterranean Termite
Dark Southeastern Subterranean Termite
Desert Subterranean Termite
Eastern Subterranean Termites
Subterranean Nose Termites
Western Subterranean Termite
See the article here:
Subterranean Termites: Treatment & Control - Get Rid of ...
- Longview Baptist to celebrate with open house on Sunday - Shelbyville Times-Gazette - January 20th, 2020
- J Rock's swing in the Banana hammock Boxing News Boxing, UFC and MMA News, Fight Results, Schedule, Rankings, Videos and More - 15rounds.com - January 20th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: Leave devices at home - msnNOW - January 20th, 2020
- Termite Control Products Market Expected To Grow Share, Size, Forecast CAGR Ratio [2020-2029] BASF SE, The Dow Chemical Company, Bayer CropScience AG... - January 20th, 2020
- Edible Insects/ Market 2020 Global Industry Analysis, Growth Opportunities, Detailed Analysis And Forecast To 2026| Esticast Research and Consulting ... - January 20th, 2020
- You've seen the Big 5 on safari? In Zambia, you see them and the amazing Little 5 - Los Angeles Times - January 20th, 2020
- This Thailand Termite Spray Commercial is Absolutely Insane - TVOvermind - January 18th, 2020
- Photo gallery: Longview Baptist to celebrate with open house on Sunday (1/18/20) - Shelbyville Times-Gazette - January 18th, 2020
- Twitter Suspends, Then REINSTATES, Anti-Semitic Nation of Islam Leader Louis Farrakhan Claims Suspension Was an 'Error' - The Union Journal - January 18th, 2020
- First Evidence That Social Interactions of Ants Affect Pathogen Competition - SciTechDaily - January 18th, 2020
- Termite Bait System Products Market: Quantitative Analysis from 2019 to 2025 to Enable the Stakeholders to Capitalize on the Prevailing Termite Bait... - January 18th, 2020
- National Review Shouldn't Join The Left In Blaming Jews For Antisemitism - The Federalist - January 18th, 2020
- Thailand termite spray commercial - Boing Boing - January 16th, 2020
- Why is this Women's March different from all the others? - Washington Jewish Week - January 16th, 2020
- Bill Kirby Jr.: Once the bulldozers and excavators roar on South Main in Hope Mills ... - The Fayetteville Observer - January 16th, 2020
- A Cockroach vs. Water Bug: Here's How to Tell the Difference & Get Rid of Them for Good - Prevention.com - January 16th, 2020
- Becky Thatcher home preserved - Hannibal.net - January 14th, 2020
- Who Are The 2020 Womens March Speakers? The Organization Says No One. - Sara A. Carter - January 14th, 2020
- Letters to the editor Monday: - Savannah Morning News - January 14th, 2020
- Similarities between humans and chimpanzees include the ability to teach, F&M researchers say - LancasterOnline - January 12th, 2020
- Keeping house in your absence - The Tribune - January 12th, 2020
- Column: To the grocery store - every day - Milford Daily News - January 12th, 2020
- Your Environment This Week: Future green crusaders, land use change in Jammu & Kashmir, new termites - Mongabay-India - January 10th, 2020
- Termite Bait Systems Market 2019: Analysis And Forecast By The Dow Chemical Company, BASF, Bayer, Sumitomo Chemical, Syngenta, Rentokil Initial,... - January 10th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Advance Technology And New Innovations 2020 To 2027 - Food & Beverage Herald - January 10th, 2020
- Anti-Semitism won't be cured by education, but it's a first step - Washington Examiner - January 10th, 2020
- Monkeys smashing nuts with stones hint at how human tool use evolved - The Conversation US - January 10th, 2020
- Global Termite Control System Market 2019 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Food & Beverage... - January 9th, 2020
- Termite Bait Systems Market Report by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application Forecast 2019 2025 - Expert Recorder - January 9th, 2020
- Viance offers environmentally advanced utility pole and crossarm preservative alternative to penta - Utility Products - January 9th, 2020
- Young and fearless give hope for protecting rights in India - Chicago Daily Herald - January 9th, 2020
- Rollins, Inc. Schedules Date For Release Of Fourth Quarter And Full Year 2019 Results - Yahoo Finance - January 7th, 2020
- Chimps share tools when tasks gets tough - Cosmos - January 7th, 2020
- Perspective on Knowledge: The challenge of emergence - KMWorld Magazine - January 4th, 2020
- The Great British Bake Offs Prue Leith says we may eat more insects in future - The Independent - January 4th, 2020
- Termite Control Services Market Report (2019-2025) | The demand for the Market will drastically increase in the Future - Chief Analyst - January 4th, 2020
- Ab Rogers returns to Wonderfruit festival in Thailand - Wallpaper* - January 2nd, 2020
- Why the New Year has begun on a depressing note - Yahoo Finance UK - January 2nd, 2020
- Florida Matters 2019 In Review: Honey Bees, Coral Reefs, And The Environment - WUSF News - January 1st, 2020
- Memories live on during the holiday season | Commentary - Olean Times Herald - January 1st, 2020
- Termites eating into green cover of City Beautiful - The Tribune - December 29th, 2019
- Open Letter Protesting CAA | Letters to the Editor - India West - December 29th, 2019
- Goualougo chimpanzees more likely to teach and share tools for complex tasks - English Forward - December 29th, 2019
- No progress visible at the blighted Buddy Bolden house, but work may begin soon - NOLA.com - December 29th, 2019
- Protestors in non-BJP states cooking biryani and singing songs; in BJP-ruled states why are they 'violent'? - TheTrends24 - December 29th, 2019
- Trends in the Termite Control Market 2019-2027 - Market Research Sheets - December 27th, 2019
- Is There Mold in Your House? | Millionacres - Motley Fool - December 26th, 2019
- Chimpanzees more likely to share tools, teach skills when task is complex - Washington University in St. Louis Newsroom - December 26th, 2019
- Chimp study may give insight into the evolution of human complexity - Haaretz - December 24th, 2019
- The global household insecticides market is accounted to US$ 11,785.9 Mn in 2018 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 5.2% during the forecast period... - December 24th, 2019
- Future use of East Hampton town hall could be fun but remains a mystery - Middletown Press - December 24th, 2019
- Chlorpyrifos Market New Innovations, Research and Growth Factor till 2024 - Market Reports Observer - December 24th, 2019
- In India, Thousands Protest Citizenship Law That Excludes Muslims - The Organization for World Peace - December 22nd, 2019
- Termite Bait Systems Market 2019: Global Opportunity And Growth Analysis By The Dow Chemical Company, BASF, Bayer, Sumitomo Chemical, Syngenta,... - December 21st, 2019
- A new law in India could put Muslims at greater risk of persecution, like the Rohingya - The Conversation AU - December 19th, 2019
- The Ant, the Woodpecker, and the 3-D Printer: A Tale of Interdepartmental Collaboration - Newswise - December 19th, 2019
- Termites And Expansion Of Sharia Law In Nigerian Constitution By Frederick Odorige - SaharaReporters.com - December 18th, 2019
- Viance Offers Environmentally Advanced Utility Pole and Crossarm Preservative Alternative to Penta - PRNewswire - December 18th, 2019
- The marvellous mystery of the fairy circles - Particle - December 18th, 2019
- Finance board approves sale of East Hampton town hall building - Middletown Press - December 18th, 2019
- Viance Offers Environmentally Advanced Utility Pole and Crossarm Preservative Alternative to Penta - Yahoo Finance - December 17th, 2019
- Believe it or not, this Vietnam homes design is inspired by termites - Architectural Digest India - December 16th, 2019
- Termite Control Products and Services Market Future Scope With Upcoming Opportunities 2025 (Terminix, Rollins, Rentokil Initial, Anticimex and many... - December 16th, 2019
- Hows the Market? Intermittent Inspections - Ukiah Daily Journal - December 16th, 2019
- Know what are the driving factors of Global Termite Control Products and Services Market growth by key players: Terminix, Rollins, Rentokil Initial -... - December 14th, 2019
- Hows the Market? Intermittent Inspections - Lake County Record-Bee - December 14th, 2019
- Attractive Market Opportunities in the Termite Control Market By 2029 - Neptune Pine - December 14th, 2019
- In Hindu-nationalist India, Muslims risk being branded infiltrators in their own country - CNN - December 14th, 2019
- What Will Be Driving Growth Factor of Termite Control Products and Services Market Near Future - News Description - December 13th, 2019
- The termites eating up India - indica News - December 12th, 2019
- Termite Control Market Size 2019 Focuses on Top Companies, Research Methodology, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 - Drnewsindustry - December 12th, 2019
- Are You Worried About Human Termites Too? - Dunya News - December 10th, 2019
- Swarm Bot Series Part One: Heres What Bees are Teaching Us About the Future of the IoT - IoT For All - December 10th, 2019
- Pheromones and social lives are becoming a liability for insects in changing climates - Salon - December 9th, 2019
- 10 Creepy Things That Are Actually in Beloved Christmas Movies - Screen Rant - December 9th, 2019
- CAB a majoritarian exercise to prove Muslims have lesser place in the new India - The Indian Express - December 8th, 2019
- TONY MELTON: Home on the farm - SCNow - December 8th, 2019
- Hastings celebrates 115 years of the public library - KSNB Local 4 - December 8th, 2019
- Breathing life into classrooms with STEM - NKU The Northerner Online - December 5th, 2019
- Global Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market Status, Company Profiles, Gross Margin and Future Scenario Forecast till 2024 - The Market... - December 5th, 2019