By Bart Barry-
Saturday at Philadelphias Liacouras Center in a super welterweight title-unification fight broadcast by Fox, Dominican slugger Jeison Banana Rosario beat-down Philadelphias Julian J Rock Williams, stopping Williams in round 5 and snatching his WBA and IBF titles the right way.
In the beginning it had all the trappings of ahomecoming coronation slick graphics, venue, dazzling biography, managementorganization, Watson, sycophantic commentary team and then a curiosity turnedup in the corner labeled Designated Opponent right about the time introductionsgot made.
Sampson Lewkowicz.His is not a flawless eye for talent but its very close, and multiplesbetter than PBCs. Most famous for hiseffective discoveries of Manny Pacquiao and Sergio Martinez, for seeing pasttheir blemished records, a few years ago Lewkowiczsaw which of the Hermanos Benavidez had the true upside, and when he was rightand promoter Top Rank wasnt and tried to poach their ways out of suchshortsightedness, Lewkowicz went to the mat with them and won. Lewkowicz, an Uruguayan, of all things, seesqualities other talent scouts do not.His stable is not huge or assembled at premium prices but comprises atype of prizefighter youd be foolish to schedule for a homecoming showcase.
Which is exactly what PBC did, of course. Theres more to this story, surely, dependingwhich lens you watch it through a bout of flu in camp or a hellish stylematchup some sage or other warned somebody about but theres exactly nochance the braintrust at Fox on PBC on Fox, preeminent though they be,anticipated what befell Williams.
What told very early on and does not portend wellfor Williams in the rematch is how little Williams flush punches affectedBanana. Despite what trickeration drivesreplay selection between rounds Williams technically proper rightcrosscounters did nothing to shortcircuit Rosarios attack or even much dissuade it. Had Williams sliced open Rosarios eyelid orhad Williams own eyelid proved more durable things might have gone differently,but thats all in a fight, and if Williams sight problems came via reopenedscar tissue, as explained during the broadcast, if in other words Williams wasalready accustomed to fighting through blood in his eyes, he sure didnt actlike it.
Let us not pile on Williams for the sins of hismanagement company, though; good people opine Williams is good people. Its hard to cheer against him as it is toimagine his becoming a world titlist in a different boxing ecosystem theenduring lesson of Pacquaio-Thurman.
In his fascinating book The Soul of the Ant suicidal19th-century South African poet Eugne Marais posits a termitary, thelaboriously constructed habitat of what termites Marais studied for a decade,functions as an organism little different from the human body, stretching hismetaphor to include termites of ferocious mien acting like white blood cellswhilst constructionworker termites act as red blood cells. Whatever modern reductionists have proved ordisproved about this metaphor in a century since its publication, it iswellbuilt as it is imaginative, with cells, in the form of near-mindlesstermites, racing through their termitary to ensure its health, like bloodracing through human veins and arteries.It calls to mind a similar if more modern metaphor of the world wide webacting as our species brain whilst its billions of cells labor away obliviousof our contribution to its thoughts or thinking.
So let us stretch these stretched metaphors toinclude in our beloved sports ecosystem (ostensibly red) blood cells likeSampson Lewkowicz and Jeison Rosario, cells scheduled for anonymity all theirdays till an unscheduled tear happens in boxings protective membrane andsuddenly they burst out in violent spurts.Rosario, dropped thrice at Sams Town Hotel & Gambling Hall in 2017by Nathaniel Gallimore a year before J Rock decisioned Nate the Great, wasessential as he was replaceable; boxing needs such men to make coronations forother men but doesnt expect them to be memorable to any but their friends andfamily.
What do you know about, say, Herb Gorilla Siler?
He was a 20-12 heavyweight who died 19 years agoand surely beloved to someone even while anonymous to all but a handful ofaficionados. Too, he was the firstknockout of Cassius Clays prizefighting career four years before there was aMuhammad Ali. Essential as he wasreplaceable in boxings ecosystem, Gorilla is a permanent part of TheGreatests resume even though men like Tony Esperti and Jimmy Robinson werejust as likely to make the same history had their schedules properly coincided.
Let coincidence neither lose an idea like: At26-1-1 eight months ago in Virginia, J Rock was the homecoming b-side forundefeated titlist Jarrett Hurd, raised but 30 miles from the EagleBank Arenawhere Hurds coronation was to happen. Aless cynical scribe, then, should marvel at PBCs marvelous matchmaking,bestower of rich parity, rather than mock the organization for apparentincompetence.
Well. In mydefense I watched Saturdays match live on Fox in the hopes of seeing J Rock dosomething ultimately decisive in a competitive scrap. The scrap was competitive and somethingdecisive surely did transpire.
Im on the Banana wagon now, while we wait forwhatever Naoya Inoue does next.
Authors note: Hearty congratulations to us! Asannounced late last week, 15rounds.com was the 2019 home of not only oursports co-best exemplar of courage, Marc Abrams, but also our sports co-bestexemplar of benevolence, Norm Frauenheim.Two, more-deserving winners cannot be found.
Bart Barry can be reached via Twitter @bartbarry
- Termites Show Miners The Way To A Low Carbon Future - IFLScience - February 26th, 2020
- All You Need to Know about Biomimicry and How It Is Changing the Way We Design - Interesting Engineering - February 26th, 2020
- Pesky termites are proving useful in finding nickel and cobalt - Stockhead - February 26th, 2020
- What's delaying the opening of Muncie Dunkin'? - The Star Press - February 26th, 2020
- Donald Trump Is Going to India to Find Himself - The New York Times - February 26th, 2020
- Mild winter weather means more insects are active - WWLP.com - February 24th, 2020
- Detroit Rolls Out the Red Carpet for Anti-Semitic Hate Group - Clarion Project - February 24th, 2020
- Servicemaster Global (SERV) Scheduled to Post Earnings on Thursday - Enterprise Echo - February 20th, 2020
- 4 Signs of a Possible Termite Infestation - Time Bulletin - February 19th, 2020
- Can snow kill bugs? We asked an expert - WFMYNews2.com - February 19th, 2020
- 'Bead Three' sculpture catches throws, Carnival spirit - News from Tulane - February 19th, 2020
- Pest Control Market projected size be resilient during 2026 according to demand forecasts - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - February 19th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 18th, 2020
- Encinitas, Calif.: A Beach Town Where Prices Rise With the Tide - The New York Times - February 18th, 2020
- Ehrlich Pest Control Donates Lifetime Pest And Termite Control To Family Of Navy Veteran And Community Hero, Christopher Hixon - Yahoo Finance - February 17th, 2020
- Global Termite Control Services Market by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Instant Tech News - February 17th, 2020
- Trends in the Ready To Use Termite Control Products Market 2019-2022 - Instant Tech News - February 17th, 2020
- Dac San Dao Phu Quoc introduced Canned Black Fungus in Tomato Sauce to Its Menu - Yahoo Finance - February 17th, 2020
- Dehradun: Woman dies after termite-infested tree falls on her car - Times of India - February 17th, 2020
- Now that the drum beats of Delhi election battle have died, how long will our interest in Shaheen Bagh last - Yahoo India News - February 16th, 2020
- You fill the pothole in my heart: See these funny - NOLA.com - February 15th, 2020
- For Sri Lankas pangolins, forests are ideal but rubber farms will do too - Mongabay.com - February 15th, 2020
- Project of Fayette County students being sent to International Space Station - WKYT - February 15th, 2020
- Embrace the crunch: Bug Buffet draws curious and converts - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle - February 15th, 2020
- Rust-Oleum Sued After Product Fails To Work As Advertised - The Ring of Fire Network - The Ring of Fire Network - February 15th, 2020
- Whither The Deficit Hawk: Changing Attitudes On Budget Red Ink Among The GOP - NPR - February 15th, 2020
- Termite Bait Systems Market Trends, Key Players, Overview, Competitive Breakdown and Regional Forecast by 2025 - News Times - February 13th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Pangolins may have spread the disease to humans - Medical News Today - February 13th, 2020
- Pest Control Market Size and Key Trends in Terms of Volume and Value 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 13th, 2020
- Termite Control Market 2020 Booming by Size, Revenue, Trend and Top Companies 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 12th, 2020
- Ehrlich Pest Control Donates Lifetime Pest And Termite Control To Family Of Navy Veteran And Community Hero, Christopher Hixon - PRNewswire - February 12th, 2020
- Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria Is ComingBut Insects (And Their Poop) Might Stop Them - The National Interest Online - February 12th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Increasing Demand with Leading Player, Comprehensive Analysis, Forecast 2026 - Jewish Life News - February 12th, 2020
- A giant anteater is coming to Zoo Knoxville and we can't wait to see her! - WBIR.com - February 12th, 2020
- Study investigates impact of road deaths on giant anteater population in Cerrado - Mongabay.com - February 12th, 2020
- Voting population getting smarter - Opinion - The Bulletin - Norwich, CT - Norwich Bulletin - February 9th, 2020
- Protect your investment with Vulcan Termite and Pest Control - Trussvilletribune - February 5th, 2020
- Tips for Controlling Pests in and Around Your Home - Explosion - February 5th, 2020
- Global Termite Control Products and Services Market With Growing CAGR In Forecast Period 2020 To 2026 By Top Manufacturers - GuruFocus.com - February 4th, 2020
- Step Inside Kimyes Haunted Mansion - The Cut - February 4th, 2020
- Inn on the River celebrates 100th anniversary - The Glen Rose Reporter - February 4th, 2020
- Native Plant Society to talk dazzling, dramatic dragonflies - Weatherford Democrat - February 2nd, 2020
- Jeremy Corbyns place in the history of antisemitism - The Jerusalem Post - February 1st, 2020
- Are insects the food of the future? - Yahoo News - February 1st, 2020
- OpEd: Doodling in the dust | Opinion - Moultrie News - January 31st, 2020
- Rollins Closes Out Disappointing Year With Revenue Beat - Motley Fool - January 31st, 2020
- Sloth Bears Recognize 2D Images as Representations of 3D Objects Smithsonian's National Zoo Cognition Study Finds - Smithsonian's National Zoo and... - January 30th, 2020
- Ehrlich Pest Control Joins Forces With Military Makeover To Protect Dedicated Military Family From Pests - The Wellsboro Gazette - January 29th, 2020
- Ehrlich Pest Control Joins Forces With Military Makeover To Protect Dedicated Military Family From Pests - PRNewswire - January 28th, 2020
- What are the fencing rules for swimming pools? - Chicago Daily Herald - January 27th, 2020
- WRITE TEAM: All aboard the Steamer Natchez - LaSalle News Tribune - January 27th, 2020
- Free Things to Do in Manhattan This Weekend - January 31-February 2 - City Guide NY - January 27th, 2020
- Movie about magic of mushrooms coming to Wilmington - StarNewsOnline.com - January 26th, 2020
- Fumigation Certificate and Process for Export of Goods - Grainmart News - January 23rd, 2020
- Driving Back In Time With The Falmouth Classic Car Club - CapeNews.net - January 23rd, 2020
- Greenleaf: Pine Island has large population of pileated woodpeckers - Pine Island Eagle - January 23rd, 2020
- Termite Control Market: Future Forecast Assessed on the Basis of How the Industry is Predicted to Grow 2019-2024 - Dagoretti News - January 22nd, 2020
- Pest Control Services Market Focusing Long-Term Professional Industry and Making New Commitments to the Sustainable Future 2020-2027 Dagoretti News -... - January 22nd, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: Leave devices at home - msnNOW - January 20th, 2020
- Termite Control Products Market Expected To Grow Share, Size, Forecast CAGR Ratio [2020-2029] BASF SE, The Dow Chemical Company, Bayer CropScience AG... - January 20th, 2020
- Edible Insects/ Market 2020 Global Industry Analysis, Growth Opportunities, Detailed Analysis And Forecast To 2026| Esticast Research and Consulting ... - January 20th, 2020
- You've seen the Big 5 on safari? In Zambia, you see them and the amazing Little 5 - Los Angeles Times - January 20th, 2020
- This Thailand Termite Spray Commercial is Absolutely Insane - TVOvermind - January 18th, 2020
- Photo gallery: Longview Baptist to celebrate with open house on Sunday (1/18/20) - Shelbyville Times-Gazette - January 18th, 2020
- Twitter Suspends, Then REINSTATES, Anti-Semitic Nation of Islam Leader Louis Farrakhan Claims Suspension Was an 'Error' - The Union Journal - January 18th, 2020
- First Evidence That Social Interactions of Ants Affect Pathogen Competition - SciTechDaily - January 18th, 2020
- Termite Bait System Products Market: Quantitative Analysis from 2019 to 2025 to Enable the Stakeholders to Capitalize on the Prevailing Termite Bait... - January 18th, 2020
- National Review Shouldn't Join The Left In Blaming Jews For Antisemitism - The Federalist - January 18th, 2020
- Thailand termite spray commercial - Boing Boing - January 16th, 2020
- Why is this Women's March different from all the others? - Washington Jewish Week - January 16th, 2020
- Bill Kirby Jr.: Once the bulldozers and excavators roar on South Main in Hope Mills ... - The Fayetteville Observer - January 16th, 2020
- A Cockroach vs. Water Bug: Here's How to Tell the Difference & Get Rid of Them for Good - Prevention.com - January 16th, 2020
- Becky Thatcher home preserved - Hannibal.net - January 14th, 2020
- Who Are The 2020 Womens March Speakers? The Organization Says No One. - Sara A. Carter - January 14th, 2020
- Letters to the editor Monday: - Savannah Morning News - January 14th, 2020
- Similarities between humans and chimpanzees include the ability to teach, F&M researchers say - LancasterOnline - January 12th, 2020
- Keeping house in your absence - The Tribune - January 12th, 2020
- Column: To the grocery store - every day - Milford Daily News - January 12th, 2020
- Your Environment This Week: Future green crusaders, land use change in Jammu & Kashmir, new termites - Mongabay-India - January 10th, 2020
- Termite Bait Systems Market 2019: Analysis And Forecast By The Dow Chemical Company, BASF, Bayer, Sumitomo Chemical, Syngenta, Rentokil Initial,... - January 10th, 2020