On Gilmore Girls, Lorelai and Rory Gilmore's life together seems picture perfect. They are best friends who share similar tastes in music, books, movies, and clothes. They eat junk food and never gain weight. Rory loves school, and Lorelai is the young, cool mom. Their mother-daughter bond is aspirational.
RELATED: 10 Quotes From Gilmore Girls That Are Still Hilarious Today
But it's not all coffee, quips and pop-culture references. Just because these two are close doesn't mean they don't bump heads from time to time. When it comes to disagreements, the Gilmore girls have had some doozies. Here's a ranking of the 10 worst arguments Lorelai and Rory ever had.
When Lorelai learns her home is being consumed by termites during season 2, Rory suggests the unthinkable - ask Emily and Richard for their help.
Lorelai refuses to go to her parents and makes it clear to Rory not to involve them. Rory tells her grandparents anyway, believing her mother is being stubborn. Where Lorelai sees strings attached to anything having to do with her parents, Rory sees good intentions. Rory's oversteps, undermining her mother's authority and shows an uncharacteristic lack of respect. It's one of those times when Rory's know it all attitude is less entertaining and more annoying.
The line between best friends and mother-daughter blurs when Rory's excitement about attending Chilton Preparatory School wanes after meeting new boy Dean on the series' pilot. Dean is the first boy to actually see Rory, and this potential crush causes Rory to have second thoughts about her future.
Lorelai who is forever haunted by her own choices is deadset on making sure her daughter doesn't repeat her mistakes. This turn of events transforms Lorelai into a benevolent dictator. This only happens when Lorelai fears Rory is following in her footsteps and squandering the same opportunities she did. Rory behaves like a brat, both dig in their heels, and this argument proves even the Gilmore girls' atypical relationship has its challenges.
When Jess arrives in Stars Hollow during season 2, he drives a wedge between Lorelai and Rory. Following a car accident during which Jess is driving that leaves Rory with a fractured wrist, Jess becomes persona non grata to everyone except Rory. Everyone in Rory's life has a habit of believing she's... perfect, and the weight of the wings and halo finally gets to her.
RELATED: Gilmore Girls: 10 Best Emily Quotes
Rory turns her frustration on Lorelai, making it clear she's not a "mindless idiot being led around by a guy." She defends Jess, convinced he's being treated unfairly. Lorelai's poor opinion of Jess isn't entirely off the mark, but her refusal to believe that sometimes accidents just happen pits mother against daughter in an unwinnable argument.
In the aftermath of Lorelai's season 6 breakup with Luke, she sleeps with Christopher. Even Lorelai knows this nullifies any possibility of a reconciliation. Lorelai has no intention of telling Rory, but a badly-timed answering machine message exposes Lorelai's secret.
Instead of being sympathetic to everything Lorelai's going through, Rory makes it all about her. She's getting along with her dad, so why would Lorelai put that at risk? Rory says some pretty nasty stuff, going so far as to slut-shame her heartbroken mother. Lorelai admits she made a mistake, but Rory's tantrum in response to her heartbroken mother's apology has us firmly in Lorelai's corner.
Following Rory's decision to drop out of Yale, a cold war ensues between her and Lorelai. It's Lorelai's idea of tough love: she freezes Rory out. This means Rory learns about her mother's engagement from Luke. When Lorelai encounters Rory doing her community service (for stealing a yacht with Logan) the two have a brief but heated discussion.
Lorelai's angry that Rory's living large in her grandparent's pool house, turning to them when Lorelai spent most of her life heading in the opposite direction. Rory's hot and bothered Lorelai couldn't at least tell her about the engagement. Both don't talk to each other so much as at each other, and their interaction ends as abruptly as it begins. Nothing gets resolved, and the cycle of hurt and anger just keeps spinning.
Following her breakup with Dean during season 1, Rory falls into a serious funk. Making matters worse is the fact that the charm of small-town life gives way to irritation when everyone assumes Dean broke her heart, but it's the other way around, something Rory prefers to keep to herself.
RELATED: 10 Jokes From Gilmore Girls That Have Already Aged Poorly
Also keeping secrets is Lorelai who is rekindling her romance with Max: a tidbit of info Rory gets from him instead of her mom. It leads to a nasty confrontation between Lorelai and Rory, sending Rory running to her grandparents without giving Lorelai a heads up. Having Rory disappear without so much as a note is rough, but Emily's smugness and interference prolong the fight. Rory's decision to run away is selfish and irresponsible, but it's where she chooses to go that breaks Lorelai's heart.
On Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, Rory finds herself struggling to find a full-time job as a journalist. It's Jess who pushes her to write a book. Rory informs Lorelai the subject of this non-fiction opus is about their journey as mother and daughter, and Lorelai's life before Rory's birth.
Lorelai tells Rory she's free to write about her side of their story, but Lorelai has kept certain aspects of her life private, and she doesn't want them exposed to the world. It is presumptuous of Rory to assume it's okay to write about Lorelai without coming to her first. Rory marginalizes Lorelai's feelings because she's determined that all of a sudden this is her dream, and Lorelai has no right to deter her.
Lorelai urges her Rory to attend her very first formal with Dean. Rory and Dean cement their status as boyfriend-girlfriend but accidentally spend their first night together. This leads to chaos at home where Emily and Lorelai have had their own sleepover.
Lorelai talks a good game to save face, but when Rory finally makes it home, Lorelai can't seem to make up her mind if she's upset with Rory for spending the night with Dean, or because Rory gives Emily ammunition to use against her. Rory is apologetic but also recognizes Lorelai's reaction is being influenced by Emily, causing Rory to angrily call Lorelai out for her unfairness and hypocrisy. Rory screws up, but she refuses to suffer because of the sins of her mother.
Season 4 is full of big changes for both Gilmore girls, but the biggest for Rory is reconnecting with a now-married Dean. They unexpectedly take their friendship to the next level, and Rory loses her virginity to her first love. Lorelai doesn't catch them in the act, but she does show up soon after. Rory thinks Lorelai is going to be upset about her losing her virginity, but Lorelai's focus isn't on the sex, it's her daughter's inability to accept responsibility for inserting herself into Dean's marriage.
Rory is like a child who just wants her toy back, even saying Dean was hers first. Lorelai can't believe she's raised a daughter who would sleep with another woman's husband. Lorelai has the moral high ground on this one, and deep down, Rory knows it.
During season 5, after Mitchum Hunztberger tells Rory she doesn't have what it takes to make it as a journalist, Rory goes off the rails. After years of overachieving and excelling at everything, Rory begins to doubt herself. She informs Lorelai she won't be returning to Yale. Lorelai is Rory's biggest fan, and she's quick to dismiss Mitchum's assessment.
Lorelai and Rory are usually always in agreement about major life choices, especially when it comes to Rory's education. Rory's inability to take criticism without blowing her life up is frustrating for Lorelai. Rory's determination to drop out is an insult to Lorelai, and all the sacrifices she's made for her daughter. Rory's immaturity and selfishness lead to months of estrangement and marks the biggest fight the two ever have.
NEXT: 10 Things That Make No Sense About Gilmore Girls
Continue reading here:
Gilmore Girls: 10 Worst Arguments Lorelai And Rory Ever Had, Ranked - Screen Rant
- Impact of Covid-19 Outbreak on Termite Control Market 2020 Trends, Growth Opportunities, Demand, Application, Top Companies and Industry Forecast 2026... - May 31st, 2020
- River Bend Nature Center raises money for new educational signs - msnNOW - May 30th, 2020
- Termite Monitoring Service Market Research Report 2020: Key Players, Applications, Drivers, Trends and Forecast to 2026 - News Distinct - May 30th, 2020
- 1+1>2 architects adds to jackfruit village with thatched lakeside residence - Designboom - May 30th, 2020
- Chimps have local culture differences when it comes to eating termites - New Scientist News - May 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus threat to global Termite Bait System Products Market: Future Scenarios and Business Opportunity Analysis 2026 - 3rd Watch News - May 29th, 2020
- Point Reserve jetties in Bassendean to be removed due to termite damage - PerthNow - May 29th, 2020
- The impact of the coronavirus on the Termite Control Market Segments, Opportunity, Growth and Forecast by End-use Idustry 2019-2028 - Bulletin Line - May 26th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Carpenter Ants Before the Damage Is Done - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 26th, 2020
- The impact of the coronavirus on the Termite Control System Market 2020 -Global Industry Analysis By Trends, Size, Share, Company Overview, Growth And... - May 25th, 2020
- Rainy Season and Termite Swarms - Florida Keys Weekly - May 23rd, 2020
- Termite swarming season is here, report indicates Mobile is the most termite-infested metro area - FOX10 News - May 23rd, 2020
- Edible Insects Market to reach US$ 850 Million globally by end of 2027 Coherent Market Insights - GlobeNewswire - May 23rd, 2020
- 3 pesky insects that can ruin your home and your health - Free Malaysia Today - May 23rd, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Termite Control Products Market: Emerging Economies Expected to Influence Growth until 2026 - News Distinct - May 21st, 2020
- Global Termite Control Services Market SHARE, SIZE 2020| EMERGING RAPIDLY WITH LATEST TRENDS, GROWTH, REVENUE, DEMAND AND FORECAST TO 2026 - Jewish... - May 21st, 2020
- Bragar Eagel & Squire, P.C. Reminds Investors That Class Action Lawsuits Have Been Filed Against Zoom, eHealth, ServiceMaster Global, and iAnthus... - May 21st, 2020
- Termite Control Market 2020 Global Overview, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Leading Company Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 20th, 2020
- Betting against the U.S. economy and consumer is a losers game why one strategist sees Dow 30,000 next year and 40,000 by 2023 - MarketWatch - May 19th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- Investing in Women in the Time of COVID-19 - Karma - May 19th, 2020
- Todays lesson: Whats the buzz? - The San Diego Union-Tribune - May 19th, 2020
- Echidnas on the move as breeding season begins Bundaberg Now - Bundaberg Now - May 19th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market Size, Share, Trends and Competitive Outlook during forecast period 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- Meet the Black Phoebe - Alameda Sun - May 16th, 2020
- Know the Future Opportunities of Termite Treatment Market and its detail analysis by Focusing Top Companies like DoMyOwn, Specialist Termite Control,... - May 14th, 2020
- How to deal with the bugs flying around this spring - Houston Chronicle - May 14th, 2020
- Termite Monitoring Service Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 13th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 13th, 2020
- Contractor repeatedly scammed 96-year-old St. Charles woman for payment on fake repairs - KSDK.com - May 13th, 2020
- Termite Control System Market 2020| Global Leading Players, Industry Updates, Future Growth, Business Prospects, Forthcoming Developments And Future... - May 13th, 2020
- Five year old dead from gunshot wound in St. Petersburg - iontb.com - May 11th, 2020
- The importance of amphibians to the environment - Chillicothe Constitution Tribune - May 10th, 2020
- Professional Pest Control Market Report Top-Companies Offerings And Market By End-User Segments Forecasted Till 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 10th, 2020
- Major Companies in Termite Control Products Market Struggle to Fulfil the Extraordinary Demand Intensified by COVID-257 - Jewish Life News - May 9th, 2020
- 'Super termites' swarm in the New Orleans area and experts say more are coming - WWLTV.com - May 8th, 2020
- A walk on the pavement reveals the beauty of ant nests - Research Matters - May 8th, 2020
- Quick-Thinking Motorists Save Man's Life On Mid-Cape - CapeNews.net - May 8th, 2020
- Endangered Pangolin a Possible Link in Spread of COVID-19 - NBC Bay Area - May 8th, 2020
- Rambo Total Pest Control SAVE 25% on local, honest, effective protection for a pest free home - The Waterland Blog - May 8th, 2020
- 'Has anyone seen this guy?' Termites wanted for home invasion, Slidell PD says - WWLTV.com - May 6th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market 2020 | Growth Drivers, Challenges, Trends, Market Dynamics and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 6th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Future Growth by In Depth Industry Analysis, Size, Trends and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 6th, 2020
- Twitter to warn users about their `harmful` language before they tweet - WION - May 6th, 2020
- Everything You Need to Know About Termite Control in San Tan Valley - Omega Underground - May 3rd, 2020
- Termites: Threats And Prevention | HGTV - May 2nd, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Termites | Updated for 2020 - May 2nd, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Termites The Family Handyman - May 2nd, 2020
- What Do Termites Look Like to The Human Eye: See Pictures ... - May 2nd, 2020
- Flying Termites in Your House: How to Identify Winged Termites - May 2nd, 2020
- Kill termites with vinegar is a home remedy - May 2nd, 2020
- Termites (Order: Isoptera) - Amateur Entomologists ... - May 2nd, 2020
- Termites | Dreamworks Animation Wiki | Fandom - May 2nd, 2020
- Termite | The Canadian Encyclopedia - May 2nd, 2020
- Termites vs Ants (With Pictures) | StopTheFleas.com - May 2nd, 2020
- Flying Ants vs. Winged Termites, Easy Ways to Tell the ... - May 2nd, 2020
- To Get Rid of Flying Termites, First Learn What Winged ... - May 2nd, 2020
- Aphids, removing spent iris blossoms and how to care for ferns - Santa Rosa Press Democrat - May 2nd, 2020
- Termite Monitoring Service Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026|DoMyOwn, Specialist Termite Control,... - April 30th, 2020
- Santa Clarita Pest Control Company Offering Free Beehive Removal Inspection - KHTS Radio - April 30th, 2020
- Termite Inspection - Motley Fool - April 29th, 2020
- Beware: The termites are getting ready to swarm in southeast Louisiana - BRProud.com - April 29th, 2020
- Govt should take up anti-termite treatment of Basilica: Churchill - The Navhind Times - April 29th, 2020
- The last time Parliament sat here, the chamber was wrapped in a tent - The Age - April 29th, 2020
- The Klein Law Firm Reminds Investors of Class Actions on Behalf of Shareholders of EHTH, SERV and BBBY - Yahoo Finance - April 29th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - April 26th, 2020
- COVID-19: Potential impact on Termite Bait Systems Market 2019 by Rising-Trends, Growth Analysis, Industry Share, Product Types, User-Demand, Business... - April 26th, 2020
- 140-year-old St. Peters by the Sea Catholic Church undergoing renovation - West Hawaii Today - April 26th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Segmentation, Application, Technology, Analysis Research Report and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - April 26th, 2020
- Commentary: My daughter's wedding is postponed; blame the virus - Lewiston Morning Tribune - April 26th, 2020
- IMPORTANT INVESTOR NOTICE: The Schall Law Firm Announces the Filing of a Class Action Lawsuit Against ServiceMaster Global Holdings, Inc. and... - April 26th, 2020
- This YouTube channel by Indian farmer-chefs features feasts from the village and beyond - The Hindu - April 24th, 2020
- When the Ottoman Empire fell, the Islamic world fell apart - Kashmir Reader - April 24th, 2020
- The double-edged sword that is wildlife during a pandemic - The Boston Globe - April 22nd, 2020
- Dr. Jane Goodall Thinks We Can Be Better TravelersFor the Sake of the World - Cond Nast Traveler - April 22nd, 2020
- The Case of the Missing Bacteria - The Atlantic - April 19th, 2020
- Homeowner hoping damage to his home will be fixed soon - WDHN - DothanFirst.com - April 18th, 2020
- SHAREHOLDER ACTION NOTICE: The Schall Law Firm Announces it is Investigating Claims Against ServiceMaster Global Holdings, Inc. and Encourages... - April 16th, 2020
- #4 Coated Woodfree Paper Market: Future Scenarios and Business Opportunity Analysis 2025 Science In Me - Science In Me - April 16th, 2020