Aardvarks are notoriously elusive, nocturnal mammals. They generally hide in their underground burrows during the day and emerge at night to feed exclusively on ants and termites. Aardvarks are widespread throughout most habitats of Africa south of the Sahara, except deserts. But their actual numbers are not known because theyre so elusive.
Aardvarks top the bucket list of many wildlife enthusiasts, but few have been fortunate enough to see them until recently. Daytime sightings of aardvarks are becoming more common in the drier parts of southern Africa. But seeing them in the daytime does not bode well because it indicates they might not be finding enough food.
To understand how aardvarks cope with hot and dry conditions, we studied them in the Kalahari, one of the hottest and driest savannah regions in southern Africa in which aardvarks occur. Our study took place at Tswalu, a private reserve in South Africa that supports research through the Tswalu Foundation. We equipped wild, free-living aardvarks with biologgers (minicomputers) that remotely and continuously recorded their body temperature (an indicator of well-being in large mammals), and their activity. Each aardvark also received a radio-tracking device, allowing us to locate them regularly. Tracking the aardvarks provided clues on how they changed their behaviour in relation to environmental stressors in the different seasons and years of our three-year study.
Our study found that in drought periods, aardvarks struggled to find food. It was difficult for them to maintain their energy balance and stay warm during the cool night, so they shifted their active time to the day. Some died from starvation. Given the aardvarks importance to ecosystems, these findings are a concern.
No other mammal in Africa digs as many large burrows as the aardvark. Dozens of mammals, birds and reptiles use aardvark burrows as shelter from extreme heat and cold, protection from predators, or a place to raise their young. In many of South Africas conservation areas, temperatures have already risen by 2 over the past 50 years. Further warming by 4-6 by the end of the century has been projected.
With deserts and drylands expanding across much of Africa, climate change might threaten the aardvark itself as well as the many animals reliant on aardvark burrows as a cool shelter from rising temperatures.
During typical years, aardvarks were active at night and were able to regulate their body temperature between 35-37.
However, this pattern changed during two severe summer droughts that occurred in the Kalahari during our study. During the droughts, aardvarks shifted their activity to the daytime and their body temperature plummeted below 30C.
Using remotely-sensed vegetation data recorded by NASA satellites and our own camera trap footage and logger data, we showed that these dramatic changes in body temperature and activity of aardvarks were related to the availability of grass, on which their ant and termite prey rely. When grass was scarce during droughts, the ant and termite prey became inaccessible to aardvarks, preventing them from meeting their daily energy requirements. As their body reserves declined, aardvarks were unable to sustain the energy costs of maintaining warm and stable body temperatures and shifted their activity to the warmer daytime.
Shifting activity to the warmer daytime while food is scarce can save energy that would otherwise be spent on staying warm during cold nights. But, for our aardvarks, even these energy savings were insufficient during drought, when the ground was bare and the ant and termite prey inaccessible. As a result, seven of our twelve study aardvarks and many others died, presumably from starvation.
On the Red List of Species of the International Union for Conservation of Nature, aardvarks are currently categorised as a species of Least Concern. However, we consider aardvarks to be threatened in the drier parts of their distribution in Africa, such as the Kalahari, where climate change brings about droughts. Disappearance of aardvarks from these ecosystems could have devastating consequences for the many other animals that rely on the aardvarks burrows.
We hope that our findings will raise further awareness about the consequences of climate change and inform future wildlife conservation and management decisions. Such steps might include assessments of the actual population status of aardvarks across Africa, or mitigation measures to preserve species that depend on burrows for refuge in regions where aardvarks might go locally extinct. More extensive measures, like water-wise reserve management, increasing sizes and connectivity of nature reserves in semi-arid regions, and reducing emissions to mitigate climate change, are just as urgent.
Finally, any solution to the plight of climate change on free-living animals requires a better understanding of their capacities to cope with drought. Therefore, many more long-term comprehensive studies are needed on the physiology and behaviour of the vulnerable animals living in hot, arid regions of the world.
Nora Marie Weyers disclosure statement has been updated.
- Termite Control Market Size 2021 By Analysis, Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, and Forecasts to 2027 - Jumbo News - January 17th, 2021
- A month on, termite infestation still not cleared from JNU's state-of-the-art lab, claim researchers, JNUSU - EdexLive - January 9th, 2021
- Copper Azoles Market Research : Industry Overview, Market Growth,Top Performing Regions Analysis and Forecast to 2028 | Koppers Inc, Lonza, UFP... - January 9th, 2021
- Termite Control Market Trends & Forecast to 2026- Industry Analysis by Geographical Regions, Type and Application - Factory Gate - January 9th, 2021
- Jennifer Danny | Appreciating the Little Things - Santa Clarita Valley Signal - January 9th, 2021
- There's a new addition at the Miami Zoo: a baby giant anteater - WDJT - December 29th, 2020
- Termite Control Market 2020: COVID19 Impact on Industry Growth, Trends, Top Manufacturer, Regional Analysis and Forecast to 2027 - The Monitor - December 29th, 2020
- Europe pest control market Outlook and Opportunities in Grooming Regions - LionLowdown - December 29th, 2020
- The Kindreds - Boston Review - December 19th, 2020
- Facts of the Matter: Earths atmosphere is filled with a wide variety of gases - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - December 19th, 2020
- Womens inheritance rights - The Express Tribune - December 19th, 2020
- The Critical Mistake Homebuyers Are Making Right Now (and How to Avoid It) - PureWow - December 19th, 2020
- Global Termite Control Products and Services Market Detailed analysis of current Industry figures with forecasts growth by 2028 | Top Players;... - December 19th, 2020
- JNU's termite-infested lab stuck in war between two departments. Who will clear the rot now? - EdexLive - December 15th, 2020
- In the nick of time: Woman, dogs rescued from inferno by Kingsport, Church Hill men - Kingsport Times News - December 15th, 2020
- Home repair services and more with Poplar Home Waterproofing - FOX10 News - December 15th, 2020
- Around Town December 14 - The Republic - December 15th, 2020
- Termite Control Market 2020 | Know the Latest COVID19 Impact Analysis And Strategies of Key Players: , BioAdvanced, BASF, Terminix, Rentokil Initial,... - December 13th, 2020
- Letter: Cooperation is key to beating pandemic - Grand Forks Herald - December 13th, 2020
- Amazing ways insects survive the winter | Lifestyles | somerset-kentucky.com - Commonwealth Journal's History - December 12th, 2020
- Terminix Internship Named to Top 100 Best Internships in America by WayUp - GuruFocus.com - December 12th, 2020
- Termite Baiting Treatments Market Size, Historical Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - AlgosOnline - December 12th, 2020
- 'Echoes of the voice of God': Carpenter Gothic churches rare in Northwest Florida - The Northwest Florida Daily News - December 12th, 2020
- Joint taskforce to be established to tackle termites - FBC News - December 9th, 2020
- A gnawing problem - Midland Express Newspapers - December 9th, 2020
- We found algae-farming fish that domesticate tiny shrimp to help run their farms - The Conversation AU - December 9th, 2020
- Adam Carolla Moves To Where 'Smartest Man' On Earth (Elon Musk) Lives - UPROXX - December 9th, 2020
- Global Pest Control Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast 2019-2026 by Type, by Pest Type, by Application, by Region - The Market Feed - December 6th, 2020
- There's an ecosystem beneath your feetand it needs protection, new report says - Science Magazine - December 6th, 2020
- It is failure that breed success: Sanjay Agarwal, MD of Century Ply Boards India tells BrandSutra - Free Press Journal - December 6th, 2020
- John Carlson: The Good, The Bad And The... Muncie Journal - Muncie Journal - December 6th, 2020
- Women in the Arts: Myra Greene has been a champion for live theater and the arts - Index-Journal - December 6th, 2020
- Termite Bait Systems Market statistics and research Growth, Opportunities, Industry Applications, Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Cheshire Media - November 29th, 2020
- Ethical tourism is about more than just picking up your litter - The Canberra Times - November 29th, 2020
- Daytime Sightings of Nocturnal Aardvarks Hint at Troubled Times in the Kalahari - SAPeople News - November 27th, 2020
- Termite Control Products and Services Market 2025| Competitive Outlook, Profiles And Growth Strategies Of The Key Players Are Terminix, BioAdvanced... - November 27th, 2020
- Zim's widely consumed insects and vegetables Zimbabwe Daily - ZimDaily - November 27th, 2020
- Growth Forecast of Termite Control Market 2020-2026: Industry Overview by Size, Share, Trends with Top Company Profiles - The Haitian-Caribbean News... - November 26th, 2020
- Letter to the Editor: Dr. Jeffrey Kunkes - Atlanta Jewish Times - November 25th, 2020
- Pest Control Market to See Incredible Growth during 2026 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 25th, 2020
- Options abound when shopping for home siding - Daily Herald - November 21st, 2020
- It's (almost) here: Muncie's Dunkin' scheduled to open Monday - The Star Press - November 21st, 2020
- Timeless books meet their end as libraries in Hyderabad remain closed post floods - The New Indian Express - November 21st, 2020
- Telangana IAS Helps Save 700-YO Banyan Tree After 3 Years of Continuous Effort - The Better India - November 18th, 2020
- Nature Notes: Dragonflies are marvels in the skies - theday.com - November 18th, 2020
- How did bugs evolve over 320 million years? Just ask a cockroach - SYFY WIRE - November 18th, 2020
- New mural kicks off Guadalupe River Park art project - The Mercury News - November 18th, 2020
- Thanks to COVID-19, Oklahoma mice are braver than ever. Here's how to handle them. - Oklahoman.com - November 18th, 2020
- Trends Of Termite Control Market Reviewed For 2020 With Industry Outlook To 2026 - The Market Feed - November 11th, 2020
- Many trees torn down by Hurricane Zeta were termite infested here's how to keep them out of yours - WWLTV.com - November 11th, 2020
- Global Termite-Bait-Systems Market 2020 | Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19 | Top Companies:... - November 11th, 2020
- Global Termite Bait Systems Market New Trends, Size, Share, Growth, Outlook, Overview, Application and Forecast 2020 to 2026| Dowdupont, BASF, Bayer,... - November 9th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market to Exhibit Impressive Growth of CAGR during the period 2020-2027 - TechnoWeekly - November 9th, 2020
- Global Impact of Covid-19 on Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market to Record Significant Revenue Growth During the Forecast Period 20202028 -... - November 9th, 2020
- THE HOUSE CENTIPEDE - The Recorder - November 9th, 2020
- $60 million Terminix settlement: 12,000 homes retreated for termites; some may receive $650 payments - AL.com - November 6th, 2020
- Termite Bait Systems Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product Types, And Applications Forecast To 2026 - ICOTodayMagazine - November 6th, 2020
- Termite Bait System Products Market Detailed Market Strategies on trends, type, and application Outlook 2020-2027 - Eurowire - November 6th, 2020
- Best Comprehensive Research Termite Control Products Market 2020 Booming Globally with Top Key Players - PRnews Leader - November 6th, 2020
- Termite Baiting Systems Projected to be Resilient During 2020-2026 - Royal Sutton News - November 6th, 2020
- Ps&Qs: 'Maybe it's time to let the old ways die' The Sopris Sun - soprissun.com - November 6th, 2020
- Market Forecast Report on Japan Termite Control Products Market 2020-2025 - The Think Curiouser - November 6th, 2020
- article image The top 10 most threatening pest species at home - Digital Journal - November 6th, 2020
- Termite season red flags and what to do if you have an infestation in your home - 7NEWS.com.au - November 3rd, 2020
- Termite Bait Systems Market : Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities, and Threats (20202025) - TechnoWeekly - November 3rd, 2020
- Once a general store in the early 1900s, this tiny building in Columbia could be demolished - Charleston Post Courier - November 1st, 2020
- Teachers turn to illegal gold panning as govt wages become ridiculous - New Zimbabwe.com - November 1st, 2020
- Valmiki Jayanti 2020: All about the History and Significance of Valmiki Jayanti - Republic World - November 1st, 2020
- Woodpeckers may annoy you, but they're helpers in the bird community - Minneapolis Star Tribune - October 29th, 2020
- Global Termite Control Products and Services Market Analysis 2020-2025: by Key Manufacturers with Countries, Type, Application and Forecast Till 2025... - October 29th, 2020
- Global Termite Bait Systems Market Emerging Segments and Sub-Segments Analysis and Forecast Till 2026 - The Think Curiouser - October 28th, 2020
- Termite Control Market 2020 | Know the Latest COVID19 Impact Analysis And Strategies of Key Players: BioAdvanced, Spectrum Brands, Rentokil Initial,... - October 28th, 2020
- Termite Control Market 2020 | Top Business Growing Strategies, Technological Innovation and Emerging Trends of Outlook To 2028 - Stock Market Vista - October 28th, 2020
- An Expert Explains: How Bangladesh has reduced gap and is now projected to go past India - The Indian Express - October 28th, 2020
- Farrakhan, Hitler, and the NY Times: Here We Go Again - Connecticut Jewish Ledger - October 28th, 2020
- The Importance of Cargo Fumigation: All You Need to Know - IMC Grupo - October 28th, 2020
- Termite Control Products and Services Market Trend, Industry Analysis, COVID-19 Impact, Growth Rate and Future Forecast 2020-2026 | Top Players:... - October 25th, 2020
- Termite Control System Market Current Trends, SWOT Analysis, Strategies, Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast Research Study -... - October 25th, 2020
- Global Termite Bait Systems Industry (2020 to 2027) - Market Trends and Drivers - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - October 25th, 2020
- Climate Change as an Unconventional Security Risk - War on the Rocks - October 23rd, 2020