There are many questions about the novel Coronavirus that remain unanswered, such as how does the virus spread? and where did it originate? Now, Chinese-based researchers say they think the pangolin a scaly, otherwise harmless mammal that eats ants may have spread the virus to humans.
When coronaviruses spread to humans, it is usually via contact with an animal that carries the virus.
Medical News Today has recently published an extensive feature on the new virus, explaining that some of the most common carriers for coronaviruses are bats.
However, bats are unlikely to transmit the virus directly to humans, so, as with most similar viruses such as SARS and MERS an intermediary animal is usually the one responsible. For SARS, this was the civet cat, while dromedaries helped spread MERS.
When contacted by MNT a few days ago, The World Health Organization (WHO) said they did not yet know the specific source of the novel coronavirus.
Researchers in China are studying this but have not yet identified a source, they said at the time.
Only a few days later, researchers Shen Yongyi and Xiao Lihua of South China Agricultural University in Guangzhou announced in a press conference that they might have identified the pangolin as the source of the virus.
The announcement, Pangolin is found as a potential intermediate host of new coronavirus in South China, can be found on the universitys website.
Researchers had shown previously that the new coronavirus is most similar to two other bat viruses; in fact, its genomic similarity to these viruses is 88%, which led scientists to believe that bats carried the new virus.
Now, the two researchers used genomic sequencing to compare the DNA of the new coronavirus in humans with that in animals and found a 99% match with pangolins.
This is an extremely interesting observation. Although we need to see more details, it does make sense as there are now some other data emerging that pangolins carry viruses that are closely related to 2019-nCoV, Edward Holmes, an evolutionary virologist at the University of Sydney, Australia, told the prestigious journal Nature.
This latest discovery will be of great significance for the prevention and control of the origin of the new coronavirus, the Chinese university website states.
Liu Yahong, president of the South China Agricultural University, announced at the conference that they would publish the findings soon to help control the virus.
Pangolins a relative of the armadillo and anteaters are scaly mammals that feed on burrowing insects, such as termites and ants.
Pangolins are also an endangered species, and previous research has shown that the coronavirus is likely responsible for killing a large number of Malayan Pangolins.
In China, the countrys law protects the animals, and selling Pangolins can lead to 10 years in prison. However, the animal is a victim of illegal trafficking in fact, researchers describe it as the most poached and trafficked mammal in the world.
The Chinese use the animals scales to treat conditions such as arthritis, menstrual pain, and skin conditions. People also sell the animals meat and consider it a delicacy.
In their efforts to track down the source of the new coronavirus, researchers have suggested that the infection originated at a seafood and wild animal market in Wuhan, China.
Although officially, this market did not sell pangolins, people may have sold the animals there illegally.
- Termites Show Miners The Way To A Low Carbon Future - IFLScience - February 26th, 2020
- All You Need to Know about Biomimicry and How It Is Changing the Way We Design - Interesting Engineering - February 26th, 2020
- Pesky termites are proving useful in finding nickel and cobalt - Stockhead - February 26th, 2020
- What's delaying the opening of Muncie Dunkin'? - The Star Press - February 26th, 2020
- Donald Trump Is Going to India to Find Himself - The New York Times - February 26th, 2020
- Mild winter weather means more insects are active - WWLP.com - February 24th, 2020
- Detroit Rolls Out the Red Carpet for Anti-Semitic Hate Group - Clarion Project - February 24th, 2020
- Servicemaster Global (SERV) Scheduled to Post Earnings on Thursday - Enterprise Echo - February 20th, 2020
- 4 Signs of a Possible Termite Infestation - Time Bulletin - February 19th, 2020
- Can snow kill bugs? We asked an expert - WFMYNews2.com - February 19th, 2020
- 'Bead Three' sculpture catches throws, Carnival spirit - News from Tulane - February 19th, 2020
- Pest Control Market projected size be resilient during 2026 according to demand forecasts - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - February 19th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 18th, 2020
- Encinitas, Calif.: A Beach Town Where Prices Rise With the Tide - The New York Times - February 18th, 2020
- Ehrlich Pest Control Donates Lifetime Pest And Termite Control To Family Of Navy Veteran And Community Hero, Christopher Hixon - Yahoo Finance - February 17th, 2020
- Global Termite Control Services Market by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Instant Tech News - February 17th, 2020
- Trends in the Ready To Use Termite Control Products Market 2019-2022 - Instant Tech News - February 17th, 2020
- Dac San Dao Phu Quoc introduced Canned Black Fungus in Tomato Sauce to Its Menu - Yahoo Finance - February 17th, 2020
- Dehradun: Woman dies after termite-infested tree falls on her car - Times of India - February 17th, 2020
- Now that the drum beats of Delhi election battle have died, how long will our interest in Shaheen Bagh last - Yahoo India News - February 16th, 2020
- You fill the pothole in my heart: See these funny - NOLA.com - February 15th, 2020
- For Sri Lankas pangolins, forests are ideal but rubber farms will do too - Mongabay.com - February 15th, 2020
- Project of Fayette County students being sent to International Space Station - WKYT - February 15th, 2020
- Embrace the crunch: Bug Buffet draws curious and converts - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle - February 15th, 2020
- Rust-Oleum Sued After Product Fails To Work As Advertised - The Ring of Fire Network - The Ring of Fire Network - February 15th, 2020
- Whither The Deficit Hawk: Changing Attitudes On Budget Red Ink Among The GOP - NPR - February 15th, 2020
- Termite Bait Systems Market Trends, Key Players, Overview, Competitive Breakdown and Regional Forecast by 2025 - News Times - February 13th, 2020
- Pest Control Market Size and Key Trends in Terms of Volume and Value 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 13th, 2020
- Termite Control Market 2020 Booming by Size, Revenue, Trend and Top Companies 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 12th, 2020
- Ehrlich Pest Control Donates Lifetime Pest And Termite Control To Family Of Navy Veteran And Community Hero, Christopher Hixon - PRNewswire - February 12th, 2020
- Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria Is ComingBut Insects (And Their Poop) Might Stop Them - The National Interest Online - February 12th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Increasing Demand with Leading Player, Comprehensive Analysis, Forecast 2026 - Jewish Life News - February 12th, 2020
- A giant anteater is coming to Zoo Knoxville and we can't wait to see her! - WBIR.com - February 12th, 2020
- Study investigates impact of road deaths on giant anteater population in Cerrado - Mongabay.com - February 12th, 2020
- Voting population getting smarter - Opinion - The Bulletin - Norwich, CT - Norwich Bulletin - February 9th, 2020
- Protect your investment with Vulcan Termite and Pest Control - Trussvilletribune - February 5th, 2020
- Tips for Controlling Pests in and Around Your Home - Explosion - February 5th, 2020
- Global Termite Control Products and Services Market With Growing CAGR In Forecast Period 2020 To 2026 By Top Manufacturers - GuruFocus.com - February 4th, 2020
- Step Inside Kimyes Haunted Mansion - The Cut - February 4th, 2020
- Inn on the River celebrates 100th anniversary - The Glen Rose Reporter - February 4th, 2020
- Native Plant Society to talk dazzling, dramatic dragonflies - Weatherford Democrat - February 2nd, 2020
- Jeremy Corbyns place in the history of antisemitism - The Jerusalem Post - February 1st, 2020
- Are insects the food of the future? - Yahoo News - February 1st, 2020
- OpEd: Doodling in the dust | Opinion - Moultrie News - January 31st, 2020
- Rollins Closes Out Disappointing Year With Revenue Beat - Motley Fool - January 31st, 2020
- Sloth Bears Recognize 2D Images as Representations of 3D Objects Smithsonian's National Zoo Cognition Study Finds - Smithsonian's National Zoo and... - January 30th, 2020
- Ehrlich Pest Control Joins Forces With Military Makeover To Protect Dedicated Military Family From Pests - The Wellsboro Gazette - January 29th, 2020
- Ehrlich Pest Control Joins Forces With Military Makeover To Protect Dedicated Military Family From Pests - PRNewswire - January 28th, 2020
- What are the fencing rules for swimming pools? - Chicago Daily Herald - January 27th, 2020
- WRITE TEAM: All aboard the Steamer Natchez - LaSalle News Tribune - January 27th, 2020
- Free Things to Do in Manhattan This Weekend - January 31-February 2 - City Guide NY - January 27th, 2020
- Movie about magic of mushrooms coming to Wilmington - StarNewsOnline.com - January 26th, 2020
- Fumigation Certificate and Process for Export of Goods - Grainmart News - January 23rd, 2020
- Driving Back In Time With The Falmouth Classic Car Club - CapeNews.net - January 23rd, 2020
- Greenleaf: Pine Island has large population of pileated woodpeckers - Pine Island Eagle - January 23rd, 2020
- Termite Control Market: Future Forecast Assessed on the Basis of How the Industry is Predicted to Grow 2019-2024 - Dagoretti News - January 22nd, 2020
- Pest Control Services Market Focusing Long-Term Professional Industry and Making New Commitments to the Sustainable Future 2020-2027 Dagoretti News -... - January 22nd, 2020
- J Rock's swing in the Banana hammock Boxing News Boxing, UFC and MMA News, Fight Results, Schedule, Rankings, Videos and More - 15rounds.com - January 20th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: Leave devices at home - msnNOW - January 20th, 2020
- Termite Control Products Market Expected To Grow Share, Size, Forecast CAGR Ratio [2020-2029] BASF SE, The Dow Chemical Company, Bayer CropScience AG... - January 20th, 2020
- Edible Insects/ Market 2020 Global Industry Analysis, Growth Opportunities, Detailed Analysis And Forecast To 2026| Esticast Research and Consulting ... - January 20th, 2020
- You've seen the Big 5 on safari? In Zambia, you see them and the amazing Little 5 - Los Angeles Times - January 20th, 2020
- This Thailand Termite Spray Commercial is Absolutely Insane - TVOvermind - January 18th, 2020
- Photo gallery: Longview Baptist to celebrate with open house on Sunday (1/18/20) - Shelbyville Times-Gazette - January 18th, 2020
- Twitter Suspends, Then REINSTATES, Anti-Semitic Nation of Islam Leader Louis Farrakhan Claims Suspension Was an 'Error' - The Union Journal - January 18th, 2020
- First Evidence That Social Interactions of Ants Affect Pathogen Competition - SciTechDaily - January 18th, 2020
- Termite Bait System Products Market: Quantitative Analysis from 2019 to 2025 to Enable the Stakeholders to Capitalize on the Prevailing Termite Bait... - January 18th, 2020
- National Review Shouldn't Join The Left In Blaming Jews For Antisemitism - The Federalist - January 18th, 2020
- Thailand termite spray commercial - Boing Boing - January 16th, 2020
- Why is this Women's March different from all the others? - Washington Jewish Week - January 16th, 2020
- Bill Kirby Jr.: Once the bulldozers and excavators roar on South Main in Hope Mills ... - The Fayetteville Observer - January 16th, 2020
- A Cockroach vs. Water Bug: Here's How to Tell the Difference & Get Rid of Them for Good - Prevention.com - January 16th, 2020
- Becky Thatcher home preserved - Hannibal.net - January 14th, 2020
- Who Are The 2020 Womens March Speakers? The Organization Says No One. - Sara A. Carter - January 14th, 2020
- Letters to the editor Monday: - Savannah Morning News - January 14th, 2020
- Similarities between humans and chimpanzees include the ability to teach, F&M researchers say - LancasterOnline - January 12th, 2020
- Keeping house in your absence - The Tribune - January 12th, 2020
- Column: To the grocery store - every day - Milford Daily News - January 12th, 2020
- Your Environment This Week: Future green crusaders, land use change in Jammu & Kashmir, new termites - Mongabay-India - January 10th, 2020
- Termite Bait Systems Market 2019: Analysis And Forecast By The Dow Chemical Company, BASF, Bayer, Sumitomo Chemical, Syngenta, Rentokil Initial,... - January 10th, 2020