Squeezed by lower fuel demand during the pandemic and the rise of renewable energy, the oil industry is staking out a new future for itself in plastics. Instead of powering vehicles or generating electricity, oil companies are increasingly looking to use their product to manufacture cheap plastic packaging, which they can sell in lower to middle income countries.
The problem? Many countries lack the means to recycle even their own plastics. Countries in the developing world are already inundated with plastic exported for sorting and reprocessing by higher income nations, so oil companies are effectively threatening to flood the developing world with a new wave of virtually unrecyclable plastics. Companies in the US are setting the groundwork for this right now by lobbying to undermine Kenyas plastic bag ban.
The vast amounts of plastic waste that have already accumulated in the developing world are not being adequately managed. Landfill and incineration are the most common solutions, but burning plastics releases toxic chemicals. In reprocessing or landfill facilities, plastics often escape to choke rivers and coastal seas. Even lying around on the soil, plastics cause problems. A team of researchers in China found that the number and variety of insects and worms in soil was significantly reduced when LDPE the kind of plastic carrier bags are made from was spread over the earth.
As pressure to sell more plastics to the developing world grows, so does the body of evidence demonstrating the harms caused by this waste accumulating in the environment. This calls for locking waste plastics in safe sinks, like wood-plastic composites.
Waste plastics from homes and businesses, like used carrier bags, can be collected, cleaned and combined with natural materials such as sawdust. These new composite materials lock plastic debris in a stable form, preventing it from being broken up and scattered into soils and the ocean. New materials could eventually replace plastics derived from petroleum and turn off the tap of new plastics production. But for now, these safe sinks are a vital step.
Our team at Universiti Sumatera Utara (the University of North Sumatra) in Indonesia recently developed a wood-plastic composite for use in construction. Combining LDPE and durian wood sawdust from a local sawmill, we pressed out composite materials suitable for building homes, fencing and furniture. Our study demonstrated that termites native to Indonesia can ingest these composite materials when buried in the soil, but we still need further research.
The termites have LDPE in their guts, but were not yet sure if they are digesting the plastics entirely or just breaking them up into micro and nano-plastics. Some termites cultivate microorganisms in their nests which can degrade LDPE plastics. Do ours? If not, introducing new termites or microbes that arent indigenous to Sumatra might create even bigger problems.
North Sumatra is home to rainforests, rhinos and tigers, and local ecosystems are vulnerable. People living in remote communities typically want the convenience of consumer goods, processed food, medicines and other amenities that come with plastic packaging. But they dont want the waste it generates. Most of these communities lack solid waste management services, so burning and burying are their only options. While people on the nearby Indonesian island of Java enjoy a higher standard of living, their rivers are more polluted with plastic than any others in the world.
Our wood-plastic composite could replace wood, plastic decking or fencing, diverting plastic waste from the environment and easing the pressure on forests for building supplies. But we also need to test if our biodegradeable composite is safe. We dont yet know if it will be more or less of a fire hazard than other building materials available on the Indonesian market. Flammability assessments are important recycled plastic decking recently caught fire and burned down an ancient archaeological site in Australia.
Durian wood evolved in concert with insect and microbial life in Indonesia that was capable of decomposing it. Combining plastic waste with materials that are part of local ecosystems could ensure that resulting composites are biodegradable within the environments theyre created, wherever that is in the world. Scientists have discovered some aspects of natural systems that can break up and degrade plastics. We used termites and their associated microbes, but moth larvae and plastic-eating bacteria might also work.
Worldwide, sawmills are producing dust and flour from local wood that could be combined with ubiquitous plastic waste. Where emerging markets are likely to be targeted with cheap plastic packaging, scientists could adapt our procedure for making composite materials to local conditions.
These composite materials are promising as safe sinks for plastic waste, but they take time to develop. Theyre most useful for countries inundated with plastic waste which lack the capital investment for most technical fixes, and have an even greater problem developing reliable solid waste management infrastructure. Though plastics are a global issue, it is this kind of low-cost, local research that can help solve the plastics crisis where it is felt most acutely.
- Climate Change as an Unconventional Security Risk - War on the Rocks - October 23rd, 2020
- Global Termite Bait Systems Industry (2020 to 2027) - Market Trends and Drivers - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo Finance - October 23rd, 2020
- Complete Growth Overview On Termite Control Market In 2020-2027 Including Top Key Players, Trends And Emerging Growth Factors - Eurowire - October 23rd, 2020
- Global Termite Control Products and Services Market Share, Trends, Industry Size, Outlook and Analysis, Forecast till By- Terminix Rollins Rentokil... - October 23rd, 2020
- Japan Termite Control Products Market to Flourish with an Impressive Cagr During 2019-2025 - Eurowire - October 23rd, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19 On Edible Insects Market Trends: Value Chain, Current Trend, Demand, Scope, Business Strategies 2020 2030 - The Think Curiouser - October 23rd, 2020
- Termite Control Market 2020 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Growth, Sales, Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast To 2024 - Aerospace Journal - October 23rd, 2020
- Termite Control Market 2020 Size, Share, Trends, Growth And Outlook With Company Analysis And Forecast To 2027 - Stock Market Vista - October 23rd, 2020
- Global Termite Bait Systems Market-Analysis, Recent Trends and Regional Growth Forecast by Types,Applications and Economic Impact on Revenue; Research... - October 18th, 2020
- Global Termite Control MARKET: Affected Analysis by COVID 19 on industry with Leading Players like: BASF SE, Bayer AG, The DOW Chemical Company,... - October 18th, 2020
- Got Termites? Are you Protected Against Damage to Your Home Caused by Termite Infestation? - JD Supra - October 16th, 2020
- Invasion alert: aggressive Oriential hornet's spread in Malta is growing - MaltaToday - October 16th, 2020
- Comprehensive Analysis On Termite Bait Systems Market Based On Types And Application - Stock Market Vista - October 16th, 2020
- Dr Pest introduces nano-natural atomization disinfection which is made of pure natural essential oils to help customers deal with Covid-19 - Taiwan... - October 16th, 2020
- Where is Flip or Flop Filmed? HGTV Show Filming Locations - The Cinemaholic - October 16th, 2020
- The 10 Most Expensive Home Repairs and How to Avoid Them with Dwayne Boggs - ThurstonTalk - October 16th, 2020
- Global Feed Fats and Proteins Market 2020 Status, Growth Rate by Applications, and Future Forecast 2026 |Darling International, Roquette Freres,... - October 10th, 2020
- ALL were asked to come in HUGE numbers for GLAMOROUS rally - The Citizen - October 9th, 2020
- Shirley Ballas: 'I wouldnt get up in the morning and stand in front of the mirror' - Irish Examiner - October 9th, 2020
- How To Protect Your Woodwork From Termites - New Vision - October 7th, 2020
- The N.F.L. Head Coaches Who Need to Turn Their Seasons Around - The New York Times - October 7th, 2020
- Biological Pest Control Market is set to Grow at a Remarkable Pace in the Coming Years - The Daily Chronicle - October 6th, 2020
- Eagles will sit Atop NFC East with Win over the 49ers - Sports Illustrated - October 6th, 2020
- The 'Jayasankar moment' - newagebd.net - October 6th, 2020
- Stay Tuned with the Epic Battle in the Termite Bait Systems Market - The Daily Chronicle - October 4th, 2020
- Photos from the field: Australia is full of lizards so I went bush to find out why - The Conversation AU - October 4th, 2020
- Buying a House in Florida, the Three Things You Need to Know - We Heart - October 4th, 2020
- Termite Control Services Market Estimated to Expand at a Robust CAGR over 2017 to 2026 - Amazing Facts - October 4th, 2020
- Termite Control Products And Services Market Overview with Detailed Analysis, Competitive Strategies, Forecast to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- These Wasps Have Been Killing Cockroaches for 25 Million Years; Scientists find 4 Ancient Species Trapped in Amber - International Business Times,... - September 30th, 2020
- Detailed examination of the Termite Control Products And Services Market to hold a high potential for growth by 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Global Termite Control Products and Services Market 2020 Recovering From Covid-19 Outbreak | Know About Brand Players: Terminix, Rollins, Rentokil... - September 29th, 2020
- The vanishing trails of Sri Lanka's sloth bears (Commentary) - Mongabay.com - September 26th, 2020
- Sixty-Six Years After His Death One Of Alan Turing's Theories Explains Desert Fairy Circles - IFLScience - September 26th, 2020
- Cheryl Kimball Nature Talks: A caterpillar sighting evokes memories of home - The Union Leader - September 26th, 2020
- Bastrop residents express frustration over Hurricane Laura debris pile; City is waiting to be approved by FEMA - KTVE - myarklamiss.com - September 25th, 2020
- How Covid-19 Will Reshape Termite Bait Systems Market : Competitive Outlook By 2026 The Dow Chemical Company, Basf Se, Bayer Ag, Sumitomo Chemical Co.... - September 25th, 2020
- Mysterious Circles in The Desert Explained by Alan Turing Theory From 70 Years Ago - ScienceAlert - September 25th, 2020
- Today's Rental was chosen because I was trying to remember if I had ever heard the neighborhood referred to as "SoFlo" - PoPville - September 22nd, 2020
- Termite Bait Systems Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts 2026 The Dow Chemical Company, Basf Se, Bayer Ag, Sumitomo... - September 21st, 2020
- The Oxford Group welcomes another Brazilian company in Boca Raton - The Boca Raton Tribune - September 21st, 2020
- The River: Save the Delta Queen keeping beloved steamboat from termites, slackers, and extinction - User-generated content - September 20th, 2020
- Explore life below the surface - GREAT BEND TRIBUNE - Great Bend Tribune - September 20th, 2020
- Fiber Cement Siding: Worth the Investment? - MSN Money - September 20th, 2020
- As world falls behind on UN wildlife targets, bright spots offer hope - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - September 16th, 2020
- Rogers loves that red hobbit door has become such an attraction - Valley Breeze - September 16th, 2020
- Termite Control Services Market Poised to Expand at a Robust Pace Over 2017 to 2026 - The Market Chronicles - September 16th, 2020
- Cube One Is the Next-Gen Tiny House: Smart, Green and Incredibly Cheap - autoevolution - September 16th, 2020
- Cities like Lagos need building designs that don't just copy global styles - The Conversation CA - September 13th, 2020
- Termite Control Market is Thriving Worldwide 2020 | Trends, Growth and Profit Analysis, Forecast by 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 10th, 2020
- Key End-use Industries to Surge Sales of Termite Control Services Market During the COVID-19 pandemic - The Daily Chronicle - September 10th, 2020
- Insect Biodiversity Center to promote insect conservation, healthy ecosystems - ScienceBlog.com - September 10th, 2020
- Learning about possum on the half shell | Voices | republic-online.com - Miami County Republic - September 10th, 2020
- Property Clinic: What is causing creaky floorboards in my house? - The Irish Times - September 8th, 2020
- Outlook on the Termite Control Products and Services Market to 2025 by Application, End-user and Geography - Express Journal - September 7th, 2020
- Viance agreement will supply UltraPole NXT treated poles to utilities - LBM Journal - September 5th, 2020
- Ants and humans have shaped each others destinies - The Economist - September 4th, 2020
- She studies fish that look like zebras and rats to better understand the ocean's ecology - News@Northeastern - September 2nd, 2020
- Nature Notes: Chimney swifts dine on the nastiest of bugs - theday.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Outdoor Cabinetry Open to Southern Cypress Building-Products - Building-Products.com - September 2nd, 2020
- How to get the upper body of a burrowing frog - Science Codex - September 2nd, 2020
- Jeffrey Allen Etheridge - The Wilson Times - September 1st, 2020
- Termite Control Products Market Business Opportunity, Segmentation, Industry Overview and Forecast Till 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 31st, 2020
- Curtis Honeycutt: The Grammar Guy | The rules of et cetera - Brattleboro Reformer - August 31st, 2020
- An affordable home that can withstand a category 5 hurricane? This builder says he has the answer - yoursun.com - August 30th, 2020
- Grammar Guy: The rules of et cetera - Herald and News - August 30th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Research Report | Know more about the Global trends and Applications By 2024 - The Daily Chronicle - August 29th, 2020
- Global Termite Bait Systems Market 2020 SWOT Analysis & Key Business Strategies by Leading Industry Players and Forecast 2026 - Good Night, Good... - August 29th, 2020
- Global and US Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2027 key Companies included in report Bifen I/T, Essentria,... - August 29th, 2020
- Why Do Paliyar Tribals Leave Their Homes And Build New Ones During Termite Infestation? - Youth Ki Awaaz - August 29th, 2020
- The Bold and the Beautiful's Tanner Novlan Sends a Swoon-Worthy Birthday Message to His Wife - Soaps.com - August 29th, 2020
- Termite Control Products and Services Market with Future Prospects, Key Player SWOT Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Express Journal - August 29th, 2020
- A chiral surprise in the rainforest - Science Codex - August 29th, 2020
- Termite Control Products Market to Flourish with an Impressive Cagr During 2020-2026 - Owned - August 29th, 2020
- Impact of Outbreak of COVID-19 on Edible Insects Market : Changing Strategies To Provide Competitive Edge till 2024 - Scientect - August 29th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Growth, Industry In Depth Research, Advancements, Statistics, Facts and Figures by Forecast 2028 - StartupNG - August 26th, 2020
- Clarksville resident works to improve her neighborhood - Clarksville Now - August 26th, 2020
- Harry J. Cynkus Elected to the Rollins, Inc. Board of Directors - PRNewswire - August 26th, 2020
- Multiple Benefits Suggest Steel Constructions Time Has Arrived - Forbes - August 25th, 2020
- Fresh take: The rules of et cetera, Latin term that means 'and the rest' Grammar Guy - yoursun.com - August 25th, 2020