Termites. Toads. Mealworms. Madagascar hissing cockroaches. These animals are considered pests in a home, but in P-12 science classes across Kentucky and Ohio, they are essential teaching tools for NKUs Next Generation STEM Classroom Project.
The universitys Center for Integrative Natural Science and Mathematics (CINSAM) has been visiting school districts to promote better STEM teaching practices since 2013. According to CINSAM director Madhura Kulkarni, the project is a professional development exercise for P-12 science teachers to learn how to better engage students and meet the national standards of STEM education.
The Next Generation STEM Classroom Project (ngSC) is divided into three segments: pre-cap, fishbowl and recap.
Kulkarni said the pre-cap portion of the project has just been implemented this year. Prior to engaging the students in the classroom, the CINSAM Outreach Team meets with the science teachers of the school district to inform them on what aspects to pay close attention to and equips them with an observation checklist.
According to Kulkarni, the team then follows the teachers into a classroom of their own students for the fishbowl section. The team performs lesson plans with students while the teachers observe the lesson model silently.
While our teachers teach the lesson, [the school teachers] can observe the studentshow theyre reacting and how theyre engaged, Kulkarni said.
After the class, the team regroups with the teachers to go over how the lesson was successful in the recap segment.
Kulkarni said CINSAM was motivated to create this project when the Next Generation Science Standards were first introduced nationally to U.S. schools in 2010.
According to CINSAMs STEM Outreach Director Ella Bowling, teachers were expected to revise their entire teaching strategies and lesson plans to fit the new standards.
No longer could we do the cookbook labs where a kid gets a worksheet and they have to follow the instructions and fill out the data tables, Bowling said. Now we were really pushing more of the student-driven instruction in the classroom.
Bowling was a middle school science teacher for 11 years before she was hired by CINSAM for their Outreach Team in late 2013. Since then, Bowling has been visiting school districts in Ohio and Kentucky with new lesson plans designed to reach the national requirements while also breathing new life into the classroom.
She described using termites and ink pens in a fourth grade classroom to teach students about pheromones. In another activity, she used cockroaches to teach speed and velocity.
Our project is very unique in that we actually model lessons in a live classroom with real students, Bowling said.
In other professional development programs, Bowling said teachers are usually given a slideshow presentation and test the labs out on one another in an isolated environment. When the teachers take those activities into the classroom, they become disappointed when the lesson doesnt translate well to the students.
I think the best part [of this project] is being able to deliver really high-quality resources to teachers because I know firsthand the struggle thats out there to really get good lessons and activities that work in the classroom, Bowling said.
For ngSC, Bowling said she spends months crafting new lesson plans each year for the schools as the needs of science teachers continually evolve. Before introducing the lessons in ngSC, Bowling tests the student response in classrooms of other teacher associates.
Before we even roll out the labs, [practicing in another classroom] allows us to really work out the kinks and make sure that were delivering a high-quality product, Bowling said.
Its a high-quality product that is also delivering high-quality results, according to researcher Patricia Bills from Oakland University.
Bills has been leading research on ngSC since 2013 while she was a former faculty member at NKU. She continues to work closely with CINSAM to monitor the long-term effects of ngSC on science classes.
According to Bills, she collects survey data and conducts personal interviews with teachers throughout the process. Bills said her results have found a straight correspondence of teachers finding the strategies easy to apply in their own classrooms.
In other words, its working, Bills said.
According to Bills, teachers are more likely to try ngSCs teaching strategies and lesson plans because they are able to witness firsthand how the models help students learn.
Since the new standards have been in use since 2013, Kulkarni said ngSC is now focusing more on how to engage all types of students in STEM learning.
Every student walks in with their own background knowledge, with their own strengths, and with their own ways of doing things, Kulkarni said. So how do you teach science, especially in a way that all students can really engage with?
Bills and Kulkarni have presented ngSC at national conferences, such as the National Association of Research on Science Teaching.
To my knowledge, there is nothing like ngSC in this country, Bills said.
During the first year of ngSC, Kulkarni said CINSAM was servicing two districts in Northern Kentucky. In 2019, ngSC is involved with nearly 30 school districts in Northern Kentucky, Central and Western Kentucky and Southwestern Ohio.
Kulkarni said she is hopeful that CINSAMs program will be able to reach even more STEM educators on a national scale.
See the original post:
Breathing life into classrooms with STEM - NKU The Northerner Online
- Bastrop residents express frustration over Hurricane Laura debris pile; City is waiting to be approved by FEMA - KTVE - myarklamiss.com - September 25th, 2020
- How Covid-19 Will Reshape Termite Bait Systems Market : Competitive Outlook By 2026 The Dow Chemical Company, Basf Se, Bayer Ag, Sumitomo Chemical Co.... - September 25th, 2020
- Mysterious Circles in The Desert Explained by Alan Turing Theory From 70 Years Ago - ScienceAlert - September 25th, 2020
- Cheap plastic is flooding developing countries were making new biodegradable materials to help - The Conversation UK - September 22nd, 2020
- Today's Rental was chosen because I was trying to remember if I had ever heard the neighborhood referred to as "SoFlo" - PoPville - September 22nd, 2020
- Termite Bait Systems Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts 2026 The Dow Chemical Company, Basf Se, Bayer Ag, Sumitomo... - September 21st, 2020
- The Oxford Group welcomes another Brazilian company in Boca Raton - The Boca Raton Tribune - September 21st, 2020
- The River: Save the Delta Queen keeping beloved steamboat from termites, slackers, and extinction - User-generated content - September 20th, 2020
- Explore life below the surface - GREAT BEND TRIBUNE - Great Bend Tribune - September 20th, 2020
- Fiber Cement Siding: Worth the Investment? - MSN Money - September 20th, 2020
- As world falls behind on UN wildlife targets, bright spots offer hope - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - September 16th, 2020
- Rogers loves that red hobbit door has become such an attraction - Valley Breeze - September 16th, 2020
- Termite Control Services Market Poised to Expand at a Robust Pace Over 2017 to 2026 - The Market Chronicles - September 16th, 2020
- Cube One Is the Next-Gen Tiny House: Smart, Green and Incredibly Cheap - autoevolution - September 16th, 2020
- Cities like Lagos need building designs that don't just copy global styles - The Conversation CA - September 13th, 2020
- Termite Control Market is Thriving Worldwide 2020 | Trends, Growth and Profit Analysis, Forecast by 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 10th, 2020
- Key End-use Industries to Surge Sales of Termite Control Services Market During the COVID-19 pandemic - The Daily Chronicle - September 10th, 2020
- Insect Biodiversity Center to promote insect conservation, healthy ecosystems - ScienceBlog.com - September 10th, 2020
- Learning about possum on the half shell | Voices | republic-online.com - Miami County Republic - September 10th, 2020
- Property Clinic: What is causing creaky floorboards in my house? - The Irish Times - September 8th, 2020
- Outlook on the Termite Control Products and Services Market to 2025 by Application, End-user and Geography - Express Journal - September 7th, 2020
- Viance agreement will supply UltraPole NXT treated poles to utilities - LBM Journal - September 5th, 2020
- Ants and humans have shaped each others destinies - The Economist - September 4th, 2020
- She studies fish that look like zebras and rats to better understand the ocean's ecology - News@Northeastern - September 2nd, 2020
- Nature Notes: Chimney swifts dine on the nastiest of bugs - theday.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Outdoor Cabinetry Open to Southern Cypress Building-Products - Building-Products.com - September 2nd, 2020
- How to get the upper body of a burrowing frog - Science Codex - September 2nd, 2020
- Jeffrey Allen Etheridge - The Wilson Times - September 1st, 2020
- Termite Control Products Market Business Opportunity, Segmentation, Industry Overview and Forecast Till 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 31st, 2020
- Curtis Honeycutt: The Grammar Guy | The rules of et cetera - Brattleboro Reformer - August 31st, 2020
- An affordable home that can withstand a category 5 hurricane? This builder says he has the answer - yoursun.com - August 30th, 2020
- Grammar Guy: The rules of et cetera - Herald and News - August 30th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Research Report | Know more about the Global trends and Applications By 2024 - The Daily Chronicle - August 29th, 2020
- Global Termite Bait Systems Market 2020 SWOT Analysis & Key Business Strategies by Leading Industry Players and Forecast 2026 - Good Night, Good... - August 29th, 2020
- Global and US Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2027 key Companies included in report Bifen I/T, Essentria,... - August 29th, 2020
- Why Do Paliyar Tribals Leave Their Homes And Build New Ones During Termite Infestation? - Youth Ki Awaaz - August 29th, 2020
- The Bold and the Beautiful's Tanner Novlan Sends a Swoon-Worthy Birthday Message to His Wife - Soaps.com - August 29th, 2020
- Termite Control Products and Services Market with Future Prospects, Key Player SWOT Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Express Journal - August 29th, 2020
- A chiral surprise in the rainforest - Science Codex - August 29th, 2020
- Termite Control Products Market to Flourish with an Impressive Cagr During 2020-2026 - Owned - August 29th, 2020
- Impact of Outbreak of COVID-19 on Edible Insects Market : Changing Strategies To Provide Competitive Edge till 2024 - Scientect - August 29th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Growth, Industry In Depth Research, Advancements, Statistics, Facts and Figures by Forecast 2028 - StartupNG - August 26th, 2020
- Clarksville resident works to improve her neighborhood - Clarksville Now - August 26th, 2020
- Harry J. Cynkus Elected to the Rollins, Inc. Board of Directors - PRNewswire - August 26th, 2020
- Multiple Benefits Suggest Steel Constructions Time Has Arrived - Forbes - August 25th, 2020
- Fresh take: The rules of et cetera, Latin term that means 'and the rest' Grammar Guy - yoursun.com - August 25th, 2020
- Effective Ways of Controlling Termites - South Florida Reporter - August 24th, 2020
- Termite Control System Market 2020 Global analysis, opportunities and forecast to 2026 | By Top Leading Vendors like Dowdupont, BASF, Bayer, Sumitomo... - August 24th, 2020
- Around the House: Carpenter ants a nuisance, but not threat like termites - Colorado Springs Gazette - August 24th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Size 2020 Industry Growth, Future Trends, Business Opportunities, Emerging Technologies, Competitive Landscape, Sales Revenue... - August 24th, 2020
- How abandoned mines, like the Gold King, threaten the Wests drinking water - Deseret News - August 24th, 2020
- Digging Deep: The Secrets Within Termite Nests - Entomology Today - August 20th, 2020
- The evolution of chimp skills - Cosmos - August 20th, 2020
- Pest Control Market : Projection of Each Major Segment over the Forecast Period COVID-19 2026 - Scientect - August 20th, 2020
- Acceleration of the Social Gap in Iran Is Like a Train Heading Towards a Social Explosion - Iran Focus - August 20th, 2020
- Preserving your home's "good bones" | Home protection tips with HGTV's Mina Starsiak Hawk - CBS News 8 - August 19th, 2020
- Houses are influencers now, and this one burned to the ground - The Verge - August 19th, 2020
- Tiny elephant shrew species documented in Horn of Africa for first time in nearly 50 years - SCNow - August 19th, 2020
- COLUMN: News-Times 'pours it on' with Vernon Thompson eulogy - Carolinacoastonline - August 19th, 2020
- Tiny elephant shrew species documented in Horn of Africa for first time in nearly 50 years - Martinsville Bulletin - August 18th, 2020
- Termite-fishing chimpanzees provide clues to the evolution of technology - University of Miami - August 18th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Flying Ants in Your Home, According to Pest Experts - Prevention.com - August 18th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Size and Growth By Leading Vendors, By Types and Application, By End Users and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 18th, 2020
- In the World's Toughest Race, Bear Grylls is the gift that just keeps on going - The Spinoff - August 15th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Size by Top Companies, Regions, Types and Application, End Users and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 15th, 2020
- Termite Control System Market Report, History And Forecast 2020-2025, Breakdown Data By Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types And Application - The Daily... - August 13th, 2020
- Check Out the Innovative Winners of LACMA's Art + Technology Grant - Hyperallergic - August 13th, 2020
- Peter Okoye enjoys a meal of termites, reveals other insects he loves eating - Legit - August 12th, 2020
- Cameroon cancels logging plan that threatened rare apes - Devdiscourse - August 12th, 2020
- Growth of Biological Pest Control Market has been derived from the growing CAGR 2020-2028 - The Daily Chronicle - August 12th, 2020
- Are more pests popping up because of the COVID-19 pandemic? - KVUE.com - August 12th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market Size, Share, Segmentation, Business Growth, Top Key Players, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast to 2027 -... - August 12th, 2020
- Loved and Lost: No matter where she lived, Harriet Hohman felt most at home on a stage - NorthJersey.com - August 10th, 2020
- Sacred Heart School - Kalyan's Biomimicry Lab's discovery could change building construction technology i - Times of India - August 9th, 2020
- Termite Control Market 2020 Size by Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecast to 2027 - Owned - August 9th, 2020
- Petition To Remove Farrakhan From Twitter Gains Signatures - The Jewish Voice - August 9th, 2020
- ServiceMaster Names Brett T. Ponton as Its Next Chief Executive Officer - Business Wire - August 8th, 2020
- article image World's most trafficked animal gives Trump new way to hit China - Digital Journal - August 8th, 2020
- Photos found forgotten in a Tulsa home reunited with family - kjrh.com - August 7th, 2020
- Petition to remove Farrakhan from Twitter gains 1400 signatures and counting - Cleveland Jewish News - August 7th, 2020