Termites. Toads. Mealworms. Madagascar hissing cockroaches. These animals are considered pests in a home, but in P-12 science classes across Kentucky and Ohio, they are essential teaching tools for NKUs Next Generation STEM Classroom Project.
The universitys Center for Integrative Natural Science and Mathematics (CINSAM) has been visiting school districts to promote better STEM teaching practices since 2013. According to CINSAM director Madhura Kulkarni, the project is a professional development exercise for P-12 science teachers to learn how to better engage students and meet the national standards of STEM education.
The Next Generation STEM Classroom Project (ngSC) is divided into three segments: pre-cap, fishbowl and recap.
Kulkarni said the pre-cap portion of the project has just been implemented this year. Prior to engaging the students in the classroom, the CINSAM Outreach Team meets with the science teachers of the school district to inform them on what aspects to pay close attention to and equips them with an observation checklist.
According to Kulkarni, the team then follows the teachers into a classroom of their own students for the fishbowl section. The team performs lesson plans with students while the teachers observe the lesson model silently.
While our teachers teach the lesson, [the school teachers] can observe the studentshow theyre reacting and how theyre engaged, Kulkarni said.
After the class, the team regroups with the teachers to go over how the lesson was successful in the recap segment.
Kulkarni said CINSAM was motivated to create this project when the Next Generation Science Standards were first introduced nationally to U.S. schools in 2010.
According to CINSAMs STEM Outreach Director Ella Bowling, teachers were expected to revise their entire teaching strategies and lesson plans to fit the new standards.
No longer could we do the cookbook labs where a kid gets a worksheet and they have to follow the instructions and fill out the data tables, Bowling said. Now we were really pushing more of the student-driven instruction in the classroom.
Bowling was a middle school science teacher for 11 years before she was hired by CINSAM for their Outreach Team in late 2013. Since then, Bowling has been visiting school districts in Ohio and Kentucky with new lesson plans designed to reach the national requirements while also breathing new life into the classroom.
She described using termites and ink pens in a fourth grade classroom to teach students about pheromones. In another activity, she used cockroaches to teach speed and velocity.
Our project is very unique in that we actually model lessons in a live classroom with real students, Bowling said.
In other professional development programs, Bowling said teachers are usually given a slideshow presentation and test the labs out on one another in an isolated environment. When the teachers take those activities into the classroom, they become disappointed when the lesson doesnt translate well to the students.
I think the best part [of this project] is being able to deliver really high-quality resources to teachers because I know firsthand the struggle thats out there to really get good lessons and activities that work in the classroom, Bowling said.
For ngSC, Bowling said she spends months crafting new lesson plans each year for the schools as the needs of science teachers continually evolve. Before introducing the lessons in ngSC, Bowling tests the student response in classrooms of other teacher associates.
Before we even roll out the labs, [practicing in another classroom] allows us to really work out the kinks and make sure that were delivering a high-quality product, Bowling said.
Its a high-quality product that is also delivering high-quality results, according to researcher Patricia Bills from Oakland University.
Bills has been leading research on ngSC since 2013 while she was a former faculty member at NKU. She continues to work closely with CINSAM to monitor the long-term effects of ngSC on science classes.
According to Bills, she collects survey data and conducts personal interviews with teachers throughout the process. Bills said her results have found a straight correspondence of teachers finding the strategies easy to apply in their own classrooms.
In other words, its working, Bills said.
According to Bills, teachers are more likely to try ngSCs teaching strategies and lesson plans because they are able to witness firsthand how the models help students learn.
Since the new standards have been in use since 2013, Kulkarni said ngSC is now focusing more on how to engage all types of students in STEM learning.
Every student walks in with their own background knowledge, with their own strengths, and with their own ways of doing things, Kulkarni said. So how do you teach science, especially in a way that all students can really engage with?
Bills and Kulkarni have presented ngSC at national conferences, such as the National Association of Research on Science Teaching.
To my knowledge, there is nothing like ngSC in this country, Bills said.
During the first year of ngSC, Kulkarni said CINSAM was servicing two districts in Northern Kentucky. In 2019, ngSC is involved with nearly 30 school districts in Northern Kentucky, Central and Western Kentucky and Southwestern Ohio.
Kulkarni said she is hopeful that CINSAMs program will be able to reach even more STEM educators on a national scale.
See the original post:
Breathing life into classrooms with STEM - NKU The Northerner Online
- What are the fencing rules for swimming pools? - Chicago Daily Herald - January 27th, 2020
- WRITE TEAM: All aboard the Steamer Natchez - LaSalle News Tribune - January 27th, 2020
- Free Things to Do in Manhattan This Weekend - January 31-February 2 - City Guide NY - January 27th, 2020
- Movie about magic of mushrooms coming to Wilmington - StarNewsOnline.com - January 26th, 2020
- Fumigation Certificate and Process for Export of Goods - Grainmart News - January 23rd, 2020
- Driving Back In Time With The Falmouth Classic Car Club - CapeNews.net - January 23rd, 2020
- Greenleaf: Pine Island has large population of pileated woodpeckers - Pine Island Eagle - January 23rd, 2020
- Termite Control Market: Future Forecast Assessed on the Basis of How the Industry is Predicted to Grow 2019-2024 - Dagoretti News - January 22nd, 2020
- Pest Control Services Market Focusing Long-Term Professional Industry and Making New Commitments to the Sustainable Future 2020-2027 Dagoretti News -... - January 22nd, 2020
- J Rock's swing in the Banana hammock Boxing News Boxing, UFC and MMA News, Fight Results, Schedule, Rankings, Videos and More - 15rounds.com - January 20th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: Leave devices at home - msnNOW - January 20th, 2020
- Termite Control Products Market Expected To Grow Share, Size, Forecast CAGR Ratio [2020-2029] BASF SE, The Dow Chemical Company, Bayer CropScience AG... - January 20th, 2020
- Edible Insects/ Market 2020 Global Industry Analysis, Growth Opportunities, Detailed Analysis And Forecast To 2026| Esticast Research and Consulting ... - January 20th, 2020
- You've seen the Big 5 on safari? In Zambia, you see them and the amazing Little 5 - Los Angeles Times - January 20th, 2020
- This Thailand Termite Spray Commercial is Absolutely Insane - TVOvermind - January 18th, 2020
- Photo gallery: Longview Baptist to celebrate with open house on Sunday (1/18/20) - Shelbyville Times-Gazette - January 18th, 2020
- Twitter Suspends, Then REINSTATES, Anti-Semitic Nation of Islam Leader Louis Farrakhan Claims Suspension Was an 'Error' - The Union Journal - January 18th, 2020
- First Evidence That Social Interactions of Ants Affect Pathogen Competition - SciTechDaily - January 18th, 2020
- Termite Bait System Products Market: Quantitative Analysis from 2019 to 2025 to Enable the Stakeholders to Capitalize on the Prevailing Termite Bait... - January 18th, 2020
- National Review Shouldn't Join The Left In Blaming Jews For Antisemitism - The Federalist - January 18th, 2020
- Thailand termite spray commercial - Boing Boing - January 16th, 2020
- Why is this Women's March different from all the others? - Washington Jewish Week - January 16th, 2020
- Bill Kirby Jr.: Once the bulldozers and excavators roar on South Main in Hope Mills ... - The Fayetteville Observer - January 16th, 2020
- A Cockroach vs. Water Bug: Here's How to Tell the Difference & Get Rid of Them for Good - Prevention.com - January 16th, 2020
- Becky Thatcher home preserved - Hannibal.net - January 14th, 2020
- Who Are The 2020 Womens March Speakers? The Organization Says No One. - Sara A. Carter - January 14th, 2020
- Letters to the editor Monday: - Savannah Morning News - January 14th, 2020
- Similarities between humans and chimpanzees include the ability to teach, F&M researchers say - LancasterOnline - January 12th, 2020
- Keeping house in your absence - The Tribune - January 12th, 2020
- Column: To the grocery store - every day - Milford Daily News - January 12th, 2020
- Your Environment This Week: Future green crusaders, land use change in Jammu & Kashmir, new termites - Mongabay-India - January 10th, 2020
- Termite Bait Systems Market 2019: Analysis And Forecast By The Dow Chemical Company, BASF, Bayer, Sumitomo Chemical, Syngenta, Rentokil Initial,... - January 10th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Advance Technology And New Innovations 2020 To 2027 - Food & Beverage Herald - January 10th, 2020
- Anti-Semitism won't be cured by education, but it's a first step - Washington Examiner - January 10th, 2020
- Monkeys smashing nuts with stones hint at how human tool use evolved - The Conversation US - January 10th, 2020
- Global Termite Control System Market 2019 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Food & Beverage... - January 9th, 2020
- Termite Bait Systems Market Report by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application Forecast 2019 2025 - Expert Recorder - January 9th, 2020
- Viance offers environmentally advanced utility pole and crossarm preservative alternative to penta - Utility Products - January 9th, 2020
- Young and fearless give hope for protecting rights in India - Chicago Daily Herald - January 9th, 2020
- Rollins, Inc. Schedules Date For Release Of Fourth Quarter And Full Year 2019 Results - Yahoo Finance - January 7th, 2020
- Chimps share tools when tasks gets tough - Cosmos - January 7th, 2020
- Perspective on Knowledge: The challenge of emergence - KMWorld Magazine - January 4th, 2020
- The Great British Bake Offs Prue Leith says we may eat more insects in future - The Independent - January 4th, 2020
- Termite Control Services Market Report (2019-2025) | The demand for the Market will drastically increase in the Future - Chief Analyst - January 4th, 2020
- Ab Rogers returns to Wonderfruit festival in Thailand - Wallpaper* - January 2nd, 2020
- Why the New Year has begun on a depressing note - Yahoo Finance UK - January 2nd, 2020
- Florida Matters 2019 In Review: Honey Bees, Coral Reefs, And The Environment - WUSF News - January 1st, 2020
- Memories live on during the holiday season | Commentary - Olean Times Herald - January 1st, 2020
- Termites eating into green cover of City Beautiful - The Tribune - December 29th, 2019
- Open Letter Protesting CAA | Letters to the Editor - India West - December 29th, 2019
- Goualougo chimpanzees more likely to teach and share tools for complex tasks - English Forward - December 29th, 2019
- No progress visible at the blighted Buddy Bolden house, but work may begin soon - NOLA.com - December 29th, 2019
- Protestors in non-BJP states cooking biryani and singing songs; in BJP-ruled states why are they 'violent'? - TheTrends24 - December 29th, 2019
- Trends in the Termite Control Market 2019-2027 - Market Research Sheets - December 27th, 2019
- Is There Mold in Your House? | Millionacres - Motley Fool - December 26th, 2019
- Chimpanzees more likely to share tools, teach skills when task is complex - Washington University in St. Louis Newsroom - December 26th, 2019
- Chimp study may give insight into the evolution of human complexity - Haaretz - December 24th, 2019
- The global household insecticides market is accounted to US$ 11,785.9 Mn in 2018 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 5.2% during the forecast period... - December 24th, 2019
- Future use of East Hampton town hall could be fun but remains a mystery - Middletown Press - December 24th, 2019
- Chlorpyrifos Market New Innovations, Research and Growth Factor till 2024 - Market Reports Observer - December 24th, 2019
- In India, Thousands Protest Citizenship Law That Excludes Muslims - The Organization for World Peace - December 22nd, 2019
- Termite Bait Systems Market 2019: Global Opportunity And Growth Analysis By The Dow Chemical Company, BASF, Bayer, Sumitomo Chemical, Syngenta,... - December 21st, 2019
- A new law in India could put Muslims at greater risk of persecution, like the Rohingya - The Conversation AU - December 19th, 2019
- The Ant, the Woodpecker, and the 3-D Printer: A Tale of Interdepartmental Collaboration - Newswise - December 19th, 2019
- Termites And Expansion Of Sharia Law In Nigerian Constitution By Frederick Odorige - SaharaReporters.com - December 18th, 2019
- Viance Offers Environmentally Advanced Utility Pole and Crossarm Preservative Alternative to Penta - PRNewswire - December 18th, 2019
- The marvellous mystery of the fairy circles - Particle - December 18th, 2019
- Finance board approves sale of East Hampton town hall building - Middletown Press - December 18th, 2019
- Viance Offers Environmentally Advanced Utility Pole and Crossarm Preservative Alternative to Penta - Yahoo Finance - December 17th, 2019
- Believe it or not, this Vietnam homes design is inspired by termites - Architectural Digest India - December 16th, 2019
- Termite Control Products and Services Market Future Scope With Upcoming Opportunities 2025 (Terminix, Rollins, Rentokil Initial, Anticimex and many... - December 16th, 2019
- Hows the Market? Intermittent Inspections - Ukiah Daily Journal - December 16th, 2019
- Know what are the driving factors of Global Termite Control Products and Services Market growth by key players: Terminix, Rollins, Rentokil Initial -... - December 14th, 2019
- Hows the Market? Intermittent Inspections - Lake County Record-Bee - December 14th, 2019
- Attractive Market Opportunities in the Termite Control Market By 2029 - Neptune Pine - December 14th, 2019
- In Hindu-nationalist India, Muslims risk being branded infiltrators in their own country - CNN - December 14th, 2019
- What Will Be Driving Growth Factor of Termite Control Products and Services Market Near Future - News Description - December 13th, 2019
- The termites eating up India - indica News - December 12th, 2019
- Termite Control Market Size 2019 Focuses on Top Companies, Research Methodology, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 - Drnewsindustry - December 12th, 2019
- Are You Worried About Human Termites Too? - Dunya News - December 10th, 2019