Alicia Boor is an Agriculture and Natural Resources agent in the Cottonwood District.
Some of them are creepy and crawly. Others can be vicious blood-suckers. Still others slowly whittle away at the wood in your home. But one thing homeowners know about all of the pests they may find is they would rather do without them.
This time of year, thats nearly impossible, said Kansas State University entomologist Jeff Whitworth, who notes that many of the most common household pests become more active after March each year.
Arthropods insects, mites, spiders and others are our No. 1 competitors for food and fiber, including wooden structures, Whitworth said. So, it behooves all of us to know as much as possible about these competitors so that we know which ones are pests, which ones are helping us, and the vast majority of which just occupy ecological niches that do not affect us.
Whitworth is a co-author of the K-State Research and Extension publication,Household Pests of Kansas, a 112-page guide to the most common pests in the Sunflower State.
This book will help folks identify pests, or identify that the bug they have found is not a pest, Whitworth said. If it is a pest to be concerned about, they can read a little about what to expect and how to best get rid of them or keep them out of the house.
Termites are one of the most worrisome insects for homeowners.
Its been said that every wooden structure has had, has, or will have an infestation of these wood-destroying insects, said Whitworth, noting that termites have swarmed a little later this year than usual.
He added thatHousehold Pests in Kansasincludes a good description of how to tell the difference between termites and ants, and a recommendation to call a pest control professional as soon as you realize you have termites.
Some of the many pests that Whitworth said homeowners should be aware of include:
Most household pests are inactive from October through March, Whitworth said, though a few pantry pests stay active during that time because they feed on stored foods that are generally kept at temperatures of 50 degrees Fahrenheit or higher. Cockroaches and bed bugs can certainly be active year-round, anywhere that temperatures are above 50 F, he said.
In addition to his publication, Whitworth said two other books Insects in KansasandCrop Insects in Kansas will help homeowners identify pests.
Yourlocal extension officecan also help, he said. Take the best, close-up photos you can, from several angles, and place something beside the specimen so the person making the identification can get an idea of size. You can also take the actual specimen in as good of condition as possible to the local extension office.
When pest control measures are warranted, Whitworth recommended contacting an established company. Get several estimates and each companys tactic to manage your problem, he said. They will be different, but they will probably be happy to provide a free estimate. Dont forget to get a warranty or guarantee, because they should provide these.
Alicia Boor is an Agriculture and Natural Resources agent in the Cottonwood District (which includes Barton and Ellis counties) for K-State Research and Extension. You can contact her by e-mail at [emailprotected] or calling 620-793-1910.
Read the original here:
BOOR: Troublesome pests crawling out of the woodwork - hays Post
- Termite Treatment Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Termite Monitoring Service Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Fiber Cement Siding Market 2020 Worldwide Industry Size, Key Vendors, Growth Drivers, Opportunity And Competitive Landscape Forecast to 2025 - Jewish... - July 4th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Size, Analysis, Trends and Segmented Data by Top Companies and Opportunities 2020-2027 - Cole of Duty - July 3rd, 2020
- COVID19 Impact- Global Termite Control Products Market Recent Industry Developments and Growth Strategies Adopted by Top Key Players: BASF SE,... - July 1st, 2020
- CenTex Foundation Repair Servicing the Temple, Texas Areas Foundation and Leveling Needs - Press Release - Digital Journal - July 1st, 2020
- When Sports Were Played: Kane, Wild Things were able to pull off 2003 comeback - Observer-Reporter - July 1st, 2020
- Termites flying in swarms invade Thailand supermarket as shoppers continue to buy products - 7NEWS.com.au - June 30th, 2020
- Fox Soul Announces It Will Not Broadcast Louis Farrakhan July 4 Address - Jewish Journal - June 30th, 2020
- Summer bug treatments that don't bite - ConsumerAffairs - June 30th, 2020
- What helps, and what doesnt, during a hectic home sale - The Mercury News - June 30th, 2020
- The Wonder Of Termites (Yep, That's What I Said) - Connecticut Public Radio - June 24th, 2020
- Europe Pest Control Market to Exhibit Rapid Surge in Consumption in the COVID-19 Crisis - Cole of Duty - June 24th, 2020
- Why is this the most trafficked mammal in the world? | Living - Euronews - June 24th, 2020
- The minister of hate | Opinion | jewishaz.com - Jewish News of Greater Phoenix - June 24th, 2020
- Day of reckoning has arrived for NASCAR and its fans - Yahoo Sports - June 24th, 2020
- Essays on Non-virtual Reality: Examining the big world of the tiny ant - The News-Messenger - June 22nd, 2020
- HGTV's Renovation Island : Everything You Need to Know About Stars Bryan and Sarah Baeumler - Yahoo Finance UK - June 22nd, 2020
- Termite Pictures: Species, Signs and Damage - June 20th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 16th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 16th, 2020
- Ant-Man better watch out, because these termites are the supervillains of the insect world - SYFY WIRE - June 15th, 2020
- Termite Control Services Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2017 to 2026 - Farmers Ledger - June 15th, 2020
- Homeowners in 'termite belt' should be wary of insect - Henry Herald - June 15th, 2020
- Of dung beetles and elephants - Daily Maverick - June 15th, 2020
- Termite Control Products Market Industry Size, Share and Forecast to 2026 - Weekly Wall - June 15th, 2020
- Aggressive rodents not issue in LR, experts say - Arkansas Online - June 15th, 2020
- Coronavirus threat to global Termite Treatment Market 2020 Industry Share, Size, Consumption, Growth, Top Manufacturers, Type and Forecast to 2027 -... - June 15th, 2020
- 'Renovation Island': Fans worried that Bryan and Sarah might not stay married after the show - MEAWW - June 15th, 2020
- Homeowners in 'termite belt' should be wary of insect - KPVI News 6 - June 13th, 2020
- China removes Pangolin from its traditional medicine list to protect the endangered animal - Republic World - Republic World - June 13th, 2020
- Harrell: One of the most dangerous driveways in Bluffton - Bluffton Today - June 12th, 2020
- Improved attic ventilation helps protect your roof and keep your home comfortable - theday.com - June 12th, 2020
- Harrell: One of the most dangerous driveways in Bluffton - Online Athens - June 10th, 2020
- New books present the PhyloCode, an evolution-based system for naming organisms - University of Florida - June 10th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 10th, 2020
- The Walking Dead star reveals horror at cannibal slaughterhouse scenes where men were hung from hooks and - The Sun - June 10th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Termite Control 2020 Industry Growth, Size, Trends, Share, Opportunities and Forecast to 2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 9th, 2020
- Back From Extinction: Returning Threatened Pangolins to the Wild - EcoWatch - June 9th, 2020
- Enviro-Safe Protection Pest Control Services, Inc., announced today they have again won the coveted Angie's List Super Service Award - Press Release -... - June 9th, 2020
- At the zoo, meerkats work for their dinner with the help of GE engineers and some titanium - The Cincinnati Enquirer - June 9th, 2020
- For The Love Of Mulch And Mulching! Inorganic Mulch & Termites - Osprey Observer - June 6th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on Global Termite Drug, Market Insights and Forecast to 2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 6th, 2020
- The Barton mansion: A building worthy of a novel - Richmond.com - June 6th, 2020
- Stay Orders - A termite in the Indian Justice System - Lexology - June 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Update: Global Termite Drug Market is Expected to Grow at a Healthy CAGR with Top players: Bifenthrins, Borates, Sulfuryl Fluorides, Others,,... - June 5th, 2020
- Pest Control Market Size Worth USD 31.94 Billion by 2027; Rising Adoption of Pest Control Software will Add Impetus to Market, Says Fortune Business... - June 5th, 2020
- 4 Signs Your Home Has Termites and 4 Ways to Prevent Them - WDRB - June 4th, 2020
- It's the time for storm-proofing; frequent weeding; and making careful cuts in the garden - NOLA.com - June 4th, 2020
- 7 Signs of Termites in Your Home | Today's Homeowner - June 2nd, 2020
- Termites | New York State Integrated Pest Management - June 2nd, 2020
- Termite Swarmers: Life Cycle, Identifying, & Treatment ... - June 2nd, 2020
- Flying Ants vs. Termites | The Family Handyman - June 2nd, 2020
- Flying Termites with Wings (Swarmers) Pictures & How to ... - June 2nd, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Termites | Top 10 Home Remedies - June 2nd, 2020
- Pen in Hand: Legless Lizard: the snake-like lizards that hardly anyone ever sees - Tehachapi News - June 2nd, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 Outbreak on Termite Control Market 2020 Trends, Growth Opportunities, Demand, Application, Top Companies and Industry Forecast 2026... - May 31st, 2020
- River Bend Nature Center raises money for new educational signs - msnNOW - May 30th, 2020
- Termite Monitoring Service Market Research Report 2020: Key Players, Applications, Drivers, Trends and Forecast to 2026 - News Distinct - May 30th, 2020
- 1+1>2 architects adds to jackfruit village with thatched lakeside residence - Designboom - May 30th, 2020
- Chimps have local culture differences when it comes to eating termites - New Scientist News - May 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus threat to global Termite Bait System Products Market: Future Scenarios and Business Opportunity Analysis 2026 - 3rd Watch News - May 29th, 2020
- Point Reserve jetties in Bassendean to be removed due to termite damage - PerthNow - May 29th, 2020
- The impact of the coronavirus on the Termite Control Market Segments, Opportunity, Growth and Forecast by End-use Idustry 2019-2028 - Bulletin Line - May 26th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Carpenter Ants Before the Damage Is Done - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 26th, 2020
- The impact of the coronavirus on the Termite Control System Market 2020 -Global Industry Analysis By Trends, Size, Share, Company Overview, Growth And... - May 25th, 2020
- Rainy Season and Termite Swarms - Florida Keys Weekly - May 23rd, 2020
- Termite swarming season is here, report indicates Mobile is the most termite-infested metro area - FOX10 News - May 23rd, 2020
- Edible Insects Market to reach US$ 850 Million globally by end of 2027 Coherent Market Insights - GlobeNewswire - May 23rd, 2020
- 3 pesky insects that can ruin your home and your health - Free Malaysia Today - May 23rd, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Termite Control Products Market: Emerging Economies Expected to Influence Growth until 2026 - News Distinct - May 21st, 2020
- Global Termite Control Services Market SHARE, SIZE 2020| EMERGING RAPIDLY WITH LATEST TRENDS, GROWTH, REVENUE, DEMAND AND FORECAST TO 2026 - Jewish... - May 21st, 2020
- Bragar Eagel & Squire, P.C. Reminds Investors That Class Action Lawsuits Have Been Filed Against Zoom, eHealth, ServiceMaster Global, and iAnthus... - May 21st, 2020
- Termite Control Market 2020 Global Overview, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Leading Company Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 20th, 2020
- Betting against the U.S. economy and consumer is a losers game why one strategist sees Dow 30,000 next year and 40,000 by 2023 - MarketWatch - May 19th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- Investing in Women in the Time of COVID-19 - Karma - May 19th, 2020
- Todays lesson: Whats the buzz? - The San Diego Union-Tribune - May 19th, 2020
- Echidnas on the move as breeding season begins Bundaberg Now - Bundaberg Now - May 19th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market Size, Share, Trends and Competitive Outlook during forecast period 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020