Coronaviruses (CoV) are a family of viruses common in animals that can cause human illness ranging from the symptoms of the common cold to life-threatening respiratory infections.
According to a posting on the World Health Organization website, COVID-19 is the latest version of Coronavirus, a strain discovered in 2019 that was not previously found in humans.
Coronavirus is a zoonotic disease, meaning it can be transmitted from wild animals to humans.
Several known coronaviruses are circulating in animals that have not yet infected humans, the website posting noted.
Chinas Illegal Trade in Wildlife
China is one of the main sources of this family of deadly viruses, whose origins trace back to their illegal trade in wildlife.
The Chinese peoples appetite for bushmeat and wildlife parts used in traditional medicine are fueling most of these dangerous worldwide public health pandemics.
Pangolin (Photo from Wikipedia Commons)
In the past decade, wildlife trafficking the poaching or other taking of protected or managed species and the illegal trade in wildlife and their related parts and products has escalated into an international crisis, according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
World Pangolin Day is celebrated every year on the third Saturday in February to raise global awareness about pangolins the threats they face and the efforts to prevent them from becoming extinct.
In a 2015 article The New York Times reported that pangolins are the most trafficked mammals in the world.
The pangolin is a scaly anteater. There are four species in Asia, all of which are either threatened or endangered.
Pangolins have large, protective keratin scales covering their skin. They live in hollow trees or burrows and are nocturnal. Their diet consists mainly of ants or termites.
Pangolins are threatened by poaching for their meat and scales, which are believed to cure a variety of ailments including excessive nervousness, hysterical crying children, women possessed by devils and ogres, malarial fever, and deafness, according to Chinese traditional medicine.
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service estimated that more than a million pangolins have been poached from the wild in China, Africa and Southeast Asia the past decade to meet the demand for their meat and scales.
Commercial Trade of Wildlife in the U.S.
The commercial trade of wildlife in the U.S. was outlawed 120 years ago.
The Lacey Act was introduced into Congress by Rep. John F. Lacey, an Iowa Republican, and signed into law by Republican President William McKinley on May 25, 1900.
The act outlawed market hunting and fishing, and created civil and criminal penalties for trade in wildlife, fish, and plants that had been illegally taken, possessed, transported, or sold.
One of the major causes of market hunting and fishing in the U.S. was the Industrial Revolution that shifted human populations from farms to the cities and created a demand for fresh fish and meat.
The Lacey Act of 1900 granted protection to game fish, elk, deer, wild turkeys, bears, small game animals such as squirrels, rabbits and quail, wild sheep, antelope, migratory game birds such as waterfowl and mourning doves, and other wildlife species, both game and non-game.
Game species began being managed with state and federal hunting and fishing seasons and harvest limits. This legislation saved many game species that were clearly headed for extinction, and paved the way for the monitoring, restoration and habitat management of many threatened and endangered non-game species in North America, such as the iconic Bald Eagle.
Similar strict laws and protections have either not been mandated, or are not being actively enforced, throughout China.
Chinas Wildlife Laws
China has vowed to overhaul its wildlife laws to prevent future viral outbreaks, but to no avail.
Wang Ruihe, director of the Legislative Affairs Commission of the National Peoples Congress (NPC) said that the time has come to improve regulations related to the wildlife protection law and crackdown on culprits involved in the trade.
Laws related to trade in wildlife were last revised in 2016, but the changes were not enough to effectively put an end to the commercial trade. Despite the proven effects of the law on the protection of wildlife after its revision in 2016, there are still some problems in its implementation, Wang Ruihe told the Xinhua News Agency, Chinas state-run media.
Coronavirus Outbreak Timeline
In recent years there have been several Coronavirus outbreaks. Heres some details:
Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV).
Civet (Photo from Wikipedia Commons)
The first case was in November 2002 in Chinas Guangdong Province. The virus was traced to the Civet, a nocturnal omnivorous cat, sold for meat in local markets in Yunnan province.
The virus originated in the Horseshoe Bat, with the Civet ultimately infecting humans who ate undercooked meat.
The resulting viral outbreak killed 774 people.
Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV)
The disease, transmitted from Dromedary camels to humans, first appeared in 2012.
In June of that year virologists identified the cause, a new strain of the Coronavirus.
The Dromedary, also called the Arabian camel, has one hump on its back was domesticated from wild, free-ranging animals about 4,000 years ago.
Its meat and milk is a staple of northern Arabian tribes and this camel is also commonly used as a beast of burden.
Dromedaries are susceptible to parasites, sarcoptic mange and brucellosis. They are also a host to MERS-CoV, which is transmitted to humans by eating camel meat, drinking camel milk that has not be properly pasteurized, or simply living in close proximity to camels.
Victims experience pneumonia like symptoms, but also suffer gastrointestinal distress and sometimes experience kidney failure.
According to a World Health Organization report issued in November 2019 there have been 2,492 reported cases in 27 counties and 858 deaths since 2012, mostly in Saudi Arabia.
This highly-contagious, deadly new strain of Coronavirus was reported to have first been detected in December, 2019, originating from a seafood market in Wuhan, capital of central Chinas Hubei Province, where a wide range of bushmeats were being sold.
Horseshoe Bat (Photo from Wikipedia Commons)
According to researchers, the virus was transmitted from Horseshoe Bats to an unknown host, probably live snakes or pangolins on sale at the wet market.
Alarmed over the situation, China temporarily banned wildlife trade and game meat consumption until the end of the outbreak.
In February 2020, university researchers in China employing genomic sequencing found a 99 percent match between the Coronavirus found in pangolins and the virus responsible for the COVID-19 pandemic, according to an article published in Medical News Today, of Brighton, East Sussex, England.
Dirk Pfeiffer, a professor of veterinary medicine at Hong Kongs City University said the Chinese government should have implemented legislative changes (to wildlife laws) after the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-Cov) outbreak in 2002.
As of March 23, 2020, The World Health Organization reported 351,705 confirmed cases of COVID-19 worldwide, with 15,361 confirmed deaths.
In the U.S., as of March 23, there were 35,418 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 473 confirmed deaths.
Passing stricter laws prohibiting commercial trade in wildlife, and the aggressive enforcement of those laws, will help protect the ecological integrity of wildlife in China, and throughout Asia.
These laws could also help prevent future outbreaks of zoonotic diseases that are a threat to public health worldwide.
- Loved and Lost: No matter where she lived, Harriet Hohman felt most at home on a stage - NorthJersey.com - August 10th, 2020
- Sacred Heart School - Kalyan's Biomimicry Lab's discovery could change building construction technology i - Times of India - August 9th, 2020
- Termite Control Market 2020 Size by Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecast to 2027 - Owned - August 9th, 2020
- Petition To Remove Farrakhan From Twitter Gains Signatures - The Jewish Voice - August 9th, 2020
- ServiceMaster Names Brett T. Ponton as Its Next Chief Executive Officer - Business Wire - August 8th, 2020
- article image World's most trafficked animal gives Trump new way to hit China - Digital Journal - August 8th, 2020
- Photos found forgotten in a Tulsa home reunited with family - kjrh.com - August 7th, 2020
- Petition to remove Farrakhan from Twitter gains 1400 signatures and counting - Cleveland Jewish News - August 7th, 2020
- Petition to remove Farrakhan from Twitter gains 1,400 signatures and counting - JNS.org - August 7th, 2020
- Movies from Iran competing in Rhode Island festival - Tehran Times - August 7th, 2020
- Termites Archives - Pest Control Hacks - August 6th, 2020
- Termite Bait Systems Market Key Players, Product and Production Information analysis and forecast to 2025 - Owned - August 6th, 2020
- Termite Bait System Products Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2026 & Top Key Players are DowDuPont, BASF, Bayer, Sumitomo... - August 6th, 2020
- The new kind of bigotry growing among progressives - opinion - The Jerusalem Post - August 6th, 2020
- Moviegoer: Inheritance - Bay Weekly - August 6th, 2020
- Termite season about to kick off - Shepparton Adviser - August 6th, 2020
- Roasted Winged Termites Are My Favourite Monsoon Snack, Even If Others Might Not Find it 'Appropriate' - VICE - August 6th, 2020
- LETTER: Kristallnacht and pogroms - unfortunately a sign of the times? - Wicked Local Plymouth - August 6th, 2020
- U.S. Pest Protection Inaugural Pest Control Service Center in the Expanding Murfreesboro, TN; Experiencing Growth Amid Pandemic - Yahoo News - August 6th, 2020
- Two more movies from Iran join Rhode Island festival - Tehran Times - August 6th, 2020
- Letter: Rein in the mayor - Anchorage Daily News - August 6th, 2020
- Black Termite Inspector Alleges White Ex-Boss Threatened to Kill Him - MyNewsLA.com - July 9th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Termite Monitoring Service Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Fiber Cement Siding Market 2020 Worldwide Industry Size, Key Vendors, Growth Drivers, Opportunity And Competitive Landscape Forecast to 2025 - Jewish... - July 4th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Size, Analysis, Trends and Segmented Data by Top Companies and Opportunities 2020-2027 - Cole of Duty - July 3rd, 2020
- COVID19 Impact- Global Termite Control Products Market Recent Industry Developments and Growth Strategies Adopted by Top Key Players: BASF SE,... - July 1st, 2020
- CenTex Foundation Repair Servicing the Temple, Texas Areas Foundation and Leveling Needs - Press Release - Digital Journal - July 1st, 2020
- When Sports Were Played: Kane, Wild Things were able to pull off 2003 comeback - Observer-Reporter - July 1st, 2020
- Termites flying in swarms invade Thailand supermarket as shoppers continue to buy products - 7NEWS.com.au - June 30th, 2020
- Fox Soul Announces It Will Not Broadcast Louis Farrakhan July 4 Address - Jewish Journal - June 30th, 2020
- Summer bug treatments that don't bite - ConsumerAffairs - June 30th, 2020
- What helps, and what doesnt, during a hectic home sale - The Mercury News - June 30th, 2020
- BOOR: Troublesome pests crawling out of the woodwork - hays Post - June 24th, 2020
- The Wonder Of Termites (Yep, That's What I Said) - Connecticut Public Radio - June 24th, 2020
- Europe Pest Control Market to Exhibit Rapid Surge in Consumption in the COVID-19 Crisis - Cole of Duty - June 24th, 2020
- Why is this the most trafficked mammal in the world? | Living - Euronews - June 24th, 2020
- The minister of hate | Opinion | jewishaz.com - Jewish News of Greater Phoenix - June 24th, 2020
- Day of reckoning has arrived for NASCAR and its fans - Yahoo Sports - June 24th, 2020
- Essays on Non-virtual Reality: Examining the big world of the tiny ant - The News-Messenger - June 22nd, 2020
- HGTV's Renovation Island : Everything You Need to Know About Stars Bryan and Sarah Baeumler - Yahoo Finance UK - June 22nd, 2020
- Termite Pictures: Species, Signs and Damage - June 20th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 16th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 16th, 2020
- Ant-Man better watch out, because these termites are the supervillains of the insect world - SYFY WIRE - June 15th, 2020
- Termite Control Services Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2017 to 2026 - Farmers Ledger - June 15th, 2020
- Homeowners in 'termite belt' should be wary of insect - Henry Herald - June 15th, 2020
- Of dung beetles and elephants - Daily Maverick - June 15th, 2020
- Termite Control Products Market Industry Size, Share and Forecast to 2026 - Weekly Wall - June 15th, 2020
- Aggressive rodents not issue in LR, experts say - Arkansas Online - June 15th, 2020
- Coronavirus threat to global Termite Treatment Market 2020 Industry Share, Size, Consumption, Growth, Top Manufacturers, Type and Forecast to 2027 -... - June 15th, 2020
- 'Renovation Island': Fans worried that Bryan and Sarah might not stay married after the show - MEAWW - June 15th, 2020
- Homeowners in 'termite belt' should be wary of insect - KPVI News 6 - June 13th, 2020
- China removes Pangolin from its traditional medicine list to protect the endangered animal - Republic World - Republic World - June 13th, 2020
- Harrell: One of the most dangerous driveways in Bluffton - Bluffton Today - June 12th, 2020
- Improved attic ventilation helps protect your roof and keep your home comfortable - theday.com - June 12th, 2020
- Harrell: One of the most dangerous driveways in Bluffton - Online Athens - June 10th, 2020
- New books present the PhyloCode, an evolution-based system for naming organisms - University of Florida - June 10th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 10th, 2020
- The Walking Dead star reveals horror at cannibal slaughterhouse scenes where men were hung from hooks and - The Sun - June 10th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Termite Control 2020 Industry Growth, Size, Trends, Share, Opportunities and Forecast to 2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 9th, 2020
- Back From Extinction: Returning Threatened Pangolins to the Wild - EcoWatch - June 9th, 2020
- Enviro-Safe Protection Pest Control Services, Inc., announced today they have again won the coveted Angie's List Super Service Award - Press Release -... - June 9th, 2020
- At the zoo, meerkats work for their dinner with the help of GE engineers and some titanium - The Cincinnati Enquirer - June 9th, 2020
- For The Love Of Mulch And Mulching! Inorganic Mulch & Termites - Osprey Observer - June 6th, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on Global Termite Drug, Market Insights and Forecast to 2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 6th, 2020
- The Barton mansion: A building worthy of a novel - Richmond.com - June 6th, 2020
- Stay Orders - A termite in the Indian Justice System - Lexology - June 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Update: Global Termite Drug Market is Expected to Grow at a Healthy CAGR with Top players: Bifenthrins, Borates, Sulfuryl Fluorides, Others,,... - June 5th, 2020
- Pest Control Market Size Worth USD 31.94 Billion by 2027; Rising Adoption of Pest Control Software will Add Impetus to Market, Says Fortune Business... - June 5th, 2020
- 4 Signs Your Home Has Termites and 4 Ways to Prevent Them - WDRB - June 4th, 2020
- It's the time for storm-proofing; frequent weeding; and making careful cuts in the garden - NOLA.com - June 4th, 2020
- 7 Signs of Termites in Your Home | Today's Homeowner - June 2nd, 2020
- Termites | New York State Integrated Pest Management - June 2nd, 2020
- Termite Swarmers: Life Cycle, Identifying, & Treatment ... - June 2nd, 2020
- Flying Ants vs. Termites | The Family Handyman - June 2nd, 2020
- Flying Termites with Wings (Swarmers) Pictures & How to ... - June 2nd, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Termites | Top 10 Home Remedies - June 2nd, 2020
- Pen in Hand: Legless Lizard: the snake-like lizards that hardly anyone ever sees - Tehachapi News - June 2nd, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 Outbreak on Termite Control Market 2020 Trends, Growth Opportunities, Demand, Application, Top Companies and Industry Forecast 2026... - May 31st, 2020