Benjamin Hottel, Guest columnist Published 2:01 p.m. ET April 18, 2019
Eastern subterranean termite alates on the left and Formosan subterranean termite alate on the right.(Photo: Ben Hottel)
After a few months of cool weather during the winter months, springtime in Tallahassee can be a pleasant time to enjoy the outdoors before the hot and humid summer months arrive.
Even the honey bees are starting to enjoy the nice weather as they are starting to pollinate all of the pretty flowers blooming throughout the city. Unfortunately, there is another insect that is also starting to become active in Tallahassee, the Formosan subterranean termite.
In general, many species of subterranean termites are naturally found in the soil of forests where they feed on fallen trees. To these termites, our wooden houses are a buffet of fallen trees ready to be feasted upon. Subterranean termites cause an estimated $5 billion in damages and repair costs each year in the United States.
Ben Hottel(Photo: Leon County Extension)
These insects work together in colonies like honeybees, do but instead of getting nectar and pollen, they feed on wood. Wood seems a lot less appetizing than feeding on nectar and honey. Like honey bees who have a queen bee and workers, termites have a queen that produces all of the babies and workers to take care of the colony. Unlike honeybees, there are also specialized workers called soldiers who defend the colony from intruders.
Formosan subterranean termites are originally from China and were introduced into the United States in the 1960s. They have been established in Florida since the 1980s. Native species of subterranean termites, such as the Eastern subterranean termite, can cause damage to homes, but the Formosan termites can cause damage much more quickly than these native species.
The Formosan termites have larger colonies and are much more aggressive. If these termites are not eradicated from an infested house, they can destroy the entire house. There have been buildings in Tallahassee and in other areas of Florida that have been demolished because of extensive infestations of Formosan subterranean termites.
There are a few different signs of the presence of subterranean termites in a building. One of the signs that a building has an infestation of termites is the presence of mud tubes running along walls or other support structures in a home.
Subterranean termites like to live in moist environments like the soil and will construct mud tubes wherever they go so that they are constantly in a humid environment. Mud tubes can be found in crawl spaces under the home or even in the interior areas throughout the home. Sometimes mud tubes are hidden inside walls where they are not easily visible.
Because mud tubes are not always easily visible, the termite colony is sometimes able to grow to a large enough size before it is detected. The next sign of termite activity in a home happens when a colony has become mature enough to produce special termites with wings that will potentially become new queens and kings. These special winged termites are called alates. When conditions are right, these alates will swarm out of the colony and try to fly to a new area to start another termite colony. If these termites are from a colony that is in a home, they will swarm inside a house.
It can be pretty surprising to wake up one morning to find hundreds of alates flying inside your home. Once these alates mate, they will clip off their wings before trying to make a new colony. Sometimes you might not notice the alates flying around in your home but will find piles of wings by the window or in other areas of the house where the termites were flying.
Different species of subterranean termites swarm at different times of the year. Native species, such as the Eastern subterranean termites, swarm at the beginning of the year, but Formosan termites will start to swarm in mid-April and will stop swarming at some point in July. Formosan termites are unique from native termite species in that they will swarm at dusk and are attracted to lights.
Homeowners will occasionally leave their garage door open with lights on inside and attract these alates into their garages. The presence of Formosan termites in a garage doesnt necessarily mean your house is infested, but that the termites were attracted into your garage from a neighboring area.
If you discover that you have any of these signs of Formosan or other subterranean termites in your house, it is important that you contact a licensed pest control company to get your house treated. As a special note, many pest control companies in the Southeast United States are starting to not do termite treatments on homes that have spray foam insulation. This spray foam insulation can make your home more difficult to inspect for termite activity and the foam can absorb moisture which termites love.
If you would like to prevent your home from future termite invasions, there are a variety of options that a licensed pest control company can offer. Some companies will even offer contracts to pay for any damage termites cause to your home after a treatment has been performed.
Make sure to read all termite treatment contracts carefully so that your expectations are in line with what the pest control company is offering. Not all contracts will cover damages from Formosan termites. Usually native termite species are covered if they cause future damage in homes.
While all termites play an important role in recycling nutrients of dead trees back into the soil, this natural recycling process isnt welcomed when it also involves our homes. Being proactive in protecting your home from termites can help preserve your home over the course of ownership.
Benjamin Hottel is an Assistant Professor of Urban Entomology at Florida A&M University and is a volunteer writer for UF/IFAS Extension Leon County, an Equal Opportunity Institution. For gardening questions, email the extension office at AskAMasterGardener@ifas.ufl.edu.
- What are the fencing rules for swimming pools? - Chicago Daily Herald - January 27th, 2020
- WRITE TEAM: All aboard the Steamer Natchez - LaSalle News Tribune - January 27th, 2020
- Free Things to Do in Manhattan This Weekend - January 31-February 2 - City Guide NY - January 27th, 2020
- Movie about magic of mushrooms coming to Wilmington - StarNewsOnline.com - January 26th, 2020
- Fumigation Certificate and Process for Export of Goods - Grainmart News - January 23rd, 2020
- Driving Back In Time With The Falmouth Classic Car Club - CapeNews.net - January 23rd, 2020
- Greenleaf: Pine Island has large population of pileated woodpeckers - Pine Island Eagle - January 23rd, 2020
- Termite Control Market: Future Forecast Assessed on the Basis of How the Industry is Predicted to Grow 2019-2024 - Dagoretti News - January 22nd, 2020
- Pest Control Services Market Focusing Long-Term Professional Industry and Making New Commitments to the Sustainable Future 2020-2027 Dagoretti News -... - January 22nd, 2020
- J Rock's swing in the Banana hammock Boxing News Boxing, UFC and MMA News, Fight Results, Schedule, Rankings, Videos and More - 15rounds.com - January 20th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: Leave devices at home - msnNOW - January 20th, 2020
- Termite Control Products Market Expected To Grow Share, Size, Forecast CAGR Ratio [2020-2029] BASF SE, The Dow Chemical Company, Bayer CropScience AG... - January 20th, 2020
- Edible Insects/ Market 2020 Global Industry Analysis, Growth Opportunities, Detailed Analysis And Forecast To 2026| Esticast Research and Consulting ... - January 20th, 2020
- You've seen the Big 5 on safari? In Zambia, you see them and the amazing Little 5 - Los Angeles Times - January 20th, 2020
- This Thailand Termite Spray Commercial is Absolutely Insane - TVOvermind - January 18th, 2020
- Photo gallery: Longview Baptist to celebrate with open house on Sunday (1/18/20) - Shelbyville Times-Gazette - January 18th, 2020
- Twitter Suspends, Then REINSTATES, Anti-Semitic Nation of Islam Leader Louis Farrakhan Claims Suspension Was an 'Error' - The Union Journal - January 18th, 2020
- First Evidence That Social Interactions of Ants Affect Pathogen Competition - SciTechDaily - January 18th, 2020
- Termite Bait System Products Market: Quantitative Analysis from 2019 to 2025 to Enable the Stakeholders to Capitalize on the Prevailing Termite Bait... - January 18th, 2020
- National Review Shouldn't Join The Left In Blaming Jews For Antisemitism - The Federalist - January 18th, 2020
- Thailand termite spray commercial - Boing Boing - January 16th, 2020
- Why is this Women's March different from all the others? - Washington Jewish Week - January 16th, 2020
- Bill Kirby Jr.: Once the bulldozers and excavators roar on South Main in Hope Mills ... - The Fayetteville Observer - January 16th, 2020
- A Cockroach vs. Water Bug: Here's How to Tell the Difference & Get Rid of Them for Good - Prevention.com - January 16th, 2020
- Becky Thatcher home preserved - Hannibal.net - January 14th, 2020
- Who Are The 2020 Womens March Speakers? The Organization Says No One. - Sara A. Carter - January 14th, 2020
- Letters to the editor Monday: - Savannah Morning News - January 14th, 2020
- Similarities between humans and chimpanzees include the ability to teach, F&M researchers say - LancasterOnline - January 12th, 2020
- Keeping house in your absence - The Tribune - January 12th, 2020
- Column: To the grocery store - every day - Milford Daily News - January 12th, 2020
- Your Environment This Week: Future green crusaders, land use change in Jammu & Kashmir, new termites - Mongabay-India - January 10th, 2020
- Termite Bait Systems Market 2019: Analysis And Forecast By The Dow Chemical Company, BASF, Bayer, Sumitomo Chemical, Syngenta, Rentokil Initial,... - January 10th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Advance Technology And New Innovations 2020 To 2027 - Food & Beverage Herald - January 10th, 2020
- Anti-Semitism won't be cured by education, but it's a first step - Washington Examiner - January 10th, 2020
- Monkeys smashing nuts with stones hint at how human tool use evolved - The Conversation US - January 10th, 2020
- Global Termite Control System Market 2019 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Food & Beverage... - January 9th, 2020
- Termite Bait Systems Market Report by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application Forecast 2019 2025 - Expert Recorder - January 9th, 2020
- Viance offers environmentally advanced utility pole and crossarm preservative alternative to penta - Utility Products - January 9th, 2020
- Young and fearless give hope for protecting rights in India - Chicago Daily Herald - January 9th, 2020
- Rollins, Inc. Schedules Date For Release Of Fourth Quarter And Full Year 2019 Results - Yahoo Finance - January 7th, 2020
- Chimps share tools when tasks gets tough - Cosmos - January 7th, 2020
- Perspective on Knowledge: The challenge of emergence - KMWorld Magazine - January 4th, 2020
- The Great British Bake Offs Prue Leith says we may eat more insects in future - The Independent - January 4th, 2020
- Termite Control Services Market Report (2019-2025) | The demand for the Market will drastically increase in the Future - Chief Analyst - January 4th, 2020
- Ab Rogers returns to Wonderfruit festival in Thailand - Wallpaper* - January 2nd, 2020
- Why the New Year has begun on a depressing note - Yahoo Finance UK - January 2nd, 2020
- Florida Matters 2019 In Review: Honey Bees, Coral Reefs, And The Environment - WUSF News - January 1st, 2020
- Memories live on during the holiday season | Commentary - Olean Times Herald - January 1st, 2020
- Termites eating into green cover of City Beautiful - The Tribune - December 29th, 2019
- Open Letter Protesting CAA | Letters to the Editor - India West - December 29th, 2019
- Goualougo chimpanzees more likely to teach and share tools for complex tasks - English Forward - December 29th, 2019
- No progress visible at the blighted Buddy Bolden house, but work may begin soon - NOLA.com - December 29th, 2019
- Protestors in non-BJP states cooking biryani and singing songs; in BJP-ruled states why are they 'violent'? - TheTrends24 - December 29th, 2019
- Trends in the Termite Control Market 2019-2027 - Market Research Sheets - December 27th, 2019
- Is There Mold in Your House? | Millionacres - Motley Fool - December 26th, 2019
- Chimpanzees more likely to share tools, teach skills when task is complex - Washington University in St. Louis Newsroom - December 26th, 2019
- Chimp study may give insight into the evolution of human complexity - Haaretz - December 24th, 2019
- The global household insecticides market is accounted to US$ 11,785.9 Mn in 2018 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 5.2% during the forecast period... - December 24th, 2019
- Future use of East Hampton town hall could be fun but remains a mystery - Middletown Press - December 24th, 2019
- Chlorpyrifos Market New Innovations, Research and Growth Factor till 2024 - Market Reports Observer - December 24th, 2019
- In India, Thousands Protest Citizenship Law That Excludes Muslims - The Organization for World Peace - December 22nd, 2019
- Termite Bait Systems Market 2019: Global Opportunity And Growth Analysis By The Dow Chemical Company, BASF, Bayer, Sumitomo Chemical, Syngenta,... - December 21st, 2019
- A new law in India could put Muslims at greater risk of persecution, like the Rohingya - The Conversation AU - December 19th, 2019
- The Ant, the Woodpecker, and the 3-D Printer: A Tale of Interdepartmental Collaboration - Newswise - December 19th, 2019
- Termites And Expansion Of Sharia Law In Nigerian Constitution By Frederick Odorige - SaharaReporters.com - December 18th, 2019
- Viance Offers Environmentally Advanced Utility Pole and Crossarm Preservative Alternative to Penta - PRNewswire - December 18th, 2019
- The marvellous mystery of the fairy circles - Particle - December 18th, 2019
- Finance board approves sale of East Hampton town hall building - Middletown Press - December 18th, 2019
- Viance Offers Environmentally Advanced Utility Pole and Crossarm Preservative Alternative to Penta - Yahoo Finance - December 17th, 2019
- Believe it or not, this Vietnam homes design is inspired by termites - Architectural Digest India - December 16th, 2019
- Termite Control Products and Services Market Future Scope With Upcoming Opportunities 2025 (Terminix, Rollins, Rentokil Initial, Anticimex and many... - December 16th, 2019
- Hows the Market? Intermittent Inspections - Ukiah Daily Journal - December 16th, 2019
- Know what are the driving factors of Global Termite Control Products and Services Market growth by key players: Terminix, Rollins, Rentokil Initial -... - December 14th, 2019
- Hows the Market? Intermittent Inspections - Lake County Record-Bee - December 14th, 2019
- Attractive Market Opportunities in the Termite Control Market By 2029 - Neptune Pine - December 14th, 2019
- In Hindu-nationalist India, Muslims risk being branded infiltrators in their own country - CNN - December 14th, 2019
- What Will Be Driving Growth Factor of Termite Control Products and Services Market Near Future - News Description - December 13th, 2019
- The termites eating up India - indica News - December 12th, 2019
- Termite Control Market Size 2019 Focuses on Top Companies, Research Methodology, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 - Drnewsindustry - December 12th, 2019
- Are You Worried About Human Termites Too? - Dunya News - December 10th, 2019