From hops to tomatoes, Jack Rechcigl is considered a leader in research for vegetable, floral and strawberry production and breeding. Known worldwide for his support of growers and the agriculture industry, his enterprising scientific approaches to agriculture and urban environments has him serving double duty. Now he has been appointed as interim Center Director of the UF/IFAS Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center (UF/IFAS FLREC).
On May 12, Rechcigl stepped in to oversee the operations and research at the UF/IFAS Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center, previously led by retiring center director Robin Giblin-Davis. Giblin-Davis, who first took the helm of the facility in 2009 as acting co-director, transitioned in 2017 to serve as sole acting center director. He is an internationally celebrated scientist, whose area of study has been applied and basic research concerning soil, plant-parasitic and insect-associated nematodes and nematode biodiversity. He retires as an emeritus professor after 35 years at UF/IFAS.
My role as Center Director is to support and mentor the award-winning scientists, faculty and graduate students who are dedicated to solving the local and regional agricultural, urban and wildlife issues that comprise southeast Floridas unique make-up, while continuing the mission of FLREC, said Rechcigl. The caliber of research conducted by these dedicated scientists is impressive and addresses the unique needs and issues that growers and community residents face in South Floridas combined agriculture and urban environment.
Areas of research at FLREC include sustainable management for tropical and subtropical landscape systems. Scientists also aim to reduce the impact of invasive animals and plants on natural and highly urbanized habitats. Other areas of research include termite identification and distribution, wildlife ecology and conservation, palm production and maintenance, environmental horticulture, aquatic plant management, turfgrass science and sea level resilience in South Florida.
As interim Center Director, Rechcigl will serve double duty. As an internationally recognized professor in the soil and water sciences department at UF/IFAS for the past 34 years, Rechcigl served as the lead architect of the programs and is the current Center Director of UF/IFAS Gulf Coast Research and Education Center (GCREC) in Balm, Florida. since 2005. The state-of-the-art center operates from two sites. The 475-acre main facility in Balm, located in southern
Hillsborough County, hosts most of the centers research activities, including laboratories, field and greenhouse studies, a diagnostic lab, faculty offices and graduate student housing. The other site is home to the GCREC teaching program (UF/IFAS CALS), based at Hillsborough Community Colleges Plant City campus. He currently oversees 200 employees, which includes faculty, biological scientists, staff, undergraduate and graduate students and international interns.
Historically, GCREC has been recognized as a premier research site with efforts since the mid-1920s in tomato, strawberry, vegetables, ornamentals and landscape crops. Over the last 20 years, Rechcigl has led the charge with faculty members in making substantial contributions for the continued production and health of these industries, as well as exploring new opportunities and alternative crops for the region that include pomegranate, blackberry, industrial hemp and hops. Rechcigl has established the highly successful Florida Agricultural Expo, which is attended by 1,000 farmers, politicians, government and university officials from around the country each year.
Research at GREC has also been focused on improving sustainability through the development of precision agricultural technology. Some examples include tractor software that can distinguish crops like tomatoes and strawberries from weeds for precise herbicide application and the use of ultraviolet light to treat and prevent Powdery mildew (Sphaerotheca macularis) on strawberries.
Before joining the Bradenton facility in February 2000, Rechcigl was stationed at the UF/IFAS Range Cattle Research and Education Center at Ona. At the Ona center, he conducted research on the fertilizer requirements of pasture grasses and the effects of fertilizer on surface and ground water quality. This work led to the revision of fertility recommendations and the development of BMPs for pasture management, resulting in both economic and environmental benefits.
Rechcigl received his Bachelors degree in plant and soil science from the University of Delaware in 1982. He completed his Masters and Doctoral degrees in soil, crops and environmental sciences at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in 1983 and 1986, respectively. He joined the UF/IFAS faculty in 1986 as assistant professor, in 1991 was promoted to associate professor, and in 1996 attained full professorship. In 1999, he was named University of Florida Research Foundation Professor. He is a Fellow of the American Society of Agronomy (1998) and Fellow of the Soil Science Society of America (1999).
Rechcigl has authored over 300 publications and is recognized nationally for his work in the fields of soil fertility, environmental quality, and water pollution. His research has been supported by research grants totaling over $3 million from both private sources and government agencies.
He is currently editor-in- chief of the Agriculture and Environment Book Series, as well as having served as associate editor of the Journal of Environmental Quality.
Rechcigl has been the recipient of numerous awards, including the Sigma Xi Research Award, University of Florida Research Honor Award, University of Florida Research Achievement Award, University of Delaware presidential Citation for Outstanding Achievement Award. Fellow of the Czechoslovak Society of Arts and Sciences and the recipient of Honorary Professorship from the Czech Agricultural University in Prague.
For more information:UF/IFASwww.ifas.ufl.edu
Here is the original post:
UF/IFAS appoints interim director of Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center - hortidaily.com
- These are the kinds of bugs you may see around San Antonio this summer - San Antonio Express-News - May 28th, 2020
- DOST-FPRDI studies the use of heat to treat wood and bamboo - Philippine Canadian Inquirer - May 28th, 2020
- Twitter wants to target conservatives -- with none of a publisher's responsibilities - New York Post - May 28th, 2020
- DoST studies use of heat to treat wood The Manila Times - The Manila Times - May 28th, 2020
- Long Island Prepares to Reopen: Going Back to Work (and Staying Home!) with Peace of Mind - LongIsland.com - May 26th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market | Growth, Trends, Size, Share, Demand And Top Growing Companies 2026 - Cole... - May 23rd, 2020
- Nothing to celebrate - The Indian Express - May 23rd, 2020
- 6 Pests on the Rise During Summertime - Newswire - May 23rd, 2020
- Global Ship Reduction Gearboxes Market 2020 by Type, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Jewish Life News - May 23rd, 2020
- SMITH: COVID-19 has brought an end to the handshake - Charleston Post Courier - May 20th, 2020
- Textile Yarn Market 2020 Global Overview, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Leading Company Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 20th, 2020
- Seed Coating Materials Market 2020 Global Overview, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Leading Company Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 20th, 2020
- 18 Easy Natural Home Remedies to Get Rid of Termites Quickly - May 17th, 2020
- 'They need help': The sad lives of city's 45000 hoarders - Fraser Coast Chronicle - May 11th, 2020
- 'Tis the season for flying insects that can destroy your house. So are you doing all you can to prevent the dr - WSB Radio - May 10th, 2020
- Rambo Total Pest Control SAVE 25% on local, honest, effective protection for a pest free home | The - The White Center Blog - May 10th, 2020
- Formosan termite swarming in New Orleans could continue through June, researcher says - NOLA.com - May 9th, 2020
- Female Sloth Bear Dies at Smithsonian's National Zoo - Smithsonian's National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute - May 9th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market Size by Top Key Players, Growth Opportunities, Incremental Revenue , Outlook and Forecasts to 2026 - Latest Herald - May 5th, 2020
- Rambo Total Pest Control SAVE 25% on local, honest, effective protection for a pest free home - The B-Town (Burien) Blog - The B-Town Blog - May 5th, 2020
- A service trip to Peru offers lessons for treating Covid-19 in the US - STAT - May 2nd, 2020
- The return to normalcy must not be a return of the old ways Howard Lee Chuan How - Malay Mail - May 2nd, 2020
- Termite Control Market Growth Opportunities, Challenges, Key Companies, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 1st, 2020
- Startup's Tech Converts 59 Million Litres of Sewage into Reusable Water - The Better India - May 1st, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market Overview With Detailed Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast to 2026|DoMyOwn, Specialist Termite Control, Rentokil -... - April 30th, 2020
- Pests in Your House: How Harmful Are They to Your Health? - Nature World News - April 30th, 2020
- US is Indias enemy when it calls out treatment of minorities, friend when Trump hugs Modi - ThePrint - April 30th, 2020
- COVID-19: Efforts Of Lagos State Government & Two Anambra Urban PGs Have Gladdened Our Heart - The Nigerian Voice - April 25th, 2020
- Insects extreme farming methods offer us lessons to learn and oddities to avoid - Science News - April 24th, 2020
- Wash away winter with these warm-weather home tasks - The Seattle Times - April 22nd, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market Analysis by Size, Share, Top Key Manufacturers, Demand Overview, Regional Outlook And Growth Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - April 22nd, 2020
- This must-read new thriller foresaw the coronavirus and Trumps response to it - Haaretz - April 22nd, 2020
- Green buildings: 18 examples of sustainable architecture around the world - CNN - April 22nd, 2020
- Covid-19: How fake news and Modi government messaging fuelled Indias latest spiral of Islamophobia - Scroll.in - April 21st, 2020
- Markhamia lutea, a versatile tree good for timber and medicine - nation.co.ke - April 18th, 2020
- 5 Reasons You Will Love Ultherapy Cosmetic Dermatology - News Lagoon - April 16th, 2020
- 8 reasons why buying used office furniture will cost you more in the long run. - News Lagoon - April 16th, 2020
- The 12 Best Hotel Room Views in the World - News Lagoon - April 16th, 2020
- Noithatkenli Explains Why it is Ideal to Choose Italian Furniture for Homes - Yahoo Finance - April 16th, 2020
- The underwater forest that may help the future of medicine - Yahoo News Canada - April 16th, 2020
- Conversations: Heather and Trevor Smith, 50 years with The Leprosy Mission in Thailand - Sight Magazine - April 16th, 2020
- Saved My Life, No Question: Boris Johnson, Out Of The Hospital, Goes Churchillian on the National Health Service - News Lagoon - April 16th, 2020
- It turns out that ants use their memories to escape from the traps - Somag News - April 11th, 2020
- Podcast: Will coronavirus change the pangolins' fate? - chinadialogue - April 9th, 2020
- Banner year for carpenter bees and other springtime pests - WBIR.com - April 9th, 2020
- A Wine-drinking Ex-Muslim's Defence Of The Tablighi Jamaat - Outlook India - April 9th, 2020
- LEE CAMP: Four Reasons the Ruling Elite Love This Crisis - Consortium News - April 9th, 2020
- Global Termite Bait System Products Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) by Termite, Type, Station, Application, Distribution Channel,... - April 3rd, 2020
- Kunal Kamra gets an epic reply from Shashi Tharoor when he tells Congress leader 'time to join BJP' - Pune Mirror - March 31st, 2020
- Rescued pangolins assigned human walkers to help them find their feet again - Independent Online - March 24th, 2020
- Global Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market Estimated to Expand at a Robust CAGR by 2028 - TheLoop21 - March 17th, 2020
- A river runs through it: Tracing the Dahisar's meandering and dwindling path - Firstpost - March 16th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market 2020 By Top Key Players/Manufacturers, Type and Application, Regions, Industry Analysis, Growth, Size, Trends and Forecast to... - March 13th, 2020
- I Went to CPAC, and All I Got Was Exposure to the Coronavirus - Mother Jones - March 12th, 2020
- Know the Warning Signs of a Termite Infestation Before It's Too Late - Business Wire - March 10th, 2020
- Miami Holds Top Spot on Orkin's Second Annual Termite Cities List - PRNewswire - March 9th, 2020
- The indomitable Myrtis Boothe - Frank, fearless and formidable - Jamaica Gleaner - March 3rd, 2020
- Mild winter weather can bring bugs into your home sooner - WWLP.com - February 19th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market 2020 Is Booming Across the Globe Explored in Latest Research with Top Key Players: Bifen I/T, Terro,... - February 15th, 2020
- Global Bakery Products Market Is Estimated To Expand At a Healthy CAGR in Upcoming year 2020-2026 - Jewish Life News - February 13th, 2020
- 50 States of Love - The New York Times - February 11th, 2020
- The Daily Orange wrong to capitalize 'Black' in style change - The Daily Orange - February 10th, 2020
- 3 Healthcare Stocks That Can Double This Year - Nasdaq - January 31st, 2020
- Paypal (PYPL) Tops Q4 Earnings and Revenue Estimates - Nasdaq - January 30th, 2020
- Rollins, Inc. Reports Fourth Quarter And Full-Year 2019 Financial Results - PRNewswire - January 29th, 2020
- Riding on Technological Developments and Growing Disposable Income the Global Optical Coating Equipment Market to Reach Us$ 6.4 Bn by 2027 - Melanian... - January 21st, 2020
- Global Termite Treatment Market Share Growing Rapidly with Recent Trends, Revenue and Forecast to 2026 - TheLoop21 - January 21st, 2020
- Crickets, beetles and moths. Eating them could help save the planet. But would you snack on them? - Bhekisisa - January 21st, 2020
- Global Switching Converters Market Manufacturers, Technology, Segmentation and Development Trends Forecasts to 2025 - Fusion Science Academy - January 18th, 2020
- Washington, DC Surpasses Baltimore to Secure Top Spot on Orkin's 2020 Bed Bug Cities List - PRNewswire - January 13th, 2020
- Public invited to fill out EMA survey on household chemicals - Loop News Trinidad and Tobago - January 9th, 2020
- Mimi Hardman Collections and Research Center campaign starts - yoursun.com - January 5th, 2020
- The genetic mechanism of selfishness and altruism in parent-offspring coadaptation - Science Advances - January 4th, 2020
- 11 of the Best Podcasts of the 2010s - Mental Floss - January 2nd, 2020
- Average Cost Of Termite Treatment - American Pest - December 23rd, 2019
- Top 4 Best Termite Sprays | Updated for 2019 - December 23rd, 2019
- Drywood Termites: Signs, Damage, Prevention & Treatment Cost ... - December 23rd, 2019
- PCT/BASF Announce 2019 Technicians of the Year - PCT - PCT Magazine - December 19th, 2019
- Ants rescue their injured - Stock Daily Dish - December 19th, 2019
- Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market Global Industry by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2019-2025 - Space Market... - December 17th, 2019