If left untreated, termites can cause immense damage to your home. These wood-boring pests thrive deep within your home and foundation, slowly eating away at its core, unnoticed. Ongoing prevention is your best bet when it comes to termites because most homeowner insurance plans wont cover termite damage.
There are three main groups of termites that can affect your home: subterranean, drywood, and dampwood termites.
Named after their preference to build their nests underground, subterranean termites often enter the home from areas where wood comes in contact with the ground, by squeezing through cracks as small as a business card or by using the mud tubes they construct to travel from their below ground colonies to infest wood in your home.
Subterranean Treatment options:
Drywood termites dont need a connection to the ground in order to thrive. They are known to travel up to a mile to find a home, and will establish a colony wherever they can find a preferred source of wood. Drywood termites need less moisture than either subterranean or dampwood termites to survive, and can often be found in attics where they infest structural wood. Other items they may infest include dead or dying trees and shrubs, utility poles, fences and furniture.
Drywood Treatment options:
Much larger than their subterranean counterparts, dampwood termite soldiers sport very large pincers on their head that are used to fight off predators. As their name suggests, they prefer to build colonies in damp or decaying wood with a high moisture content and moist wood in contact with the ground such as logs and stumps. Dampwood termites typically do not construct their nests in soil and do not construct mud tubes. These termites eat the wood with the grain if their wood source is sound, but consume wood across the grain if their wood source is decayed. In general, dampwood termites are not as destructive as subterranean and drywood termites.
Dampwood Treatment options:
Monitoring stations are installed at key points around your property to determine the extent of termite activity. Once confirmed, bait stations are set up to attract termites. Bait stations house chemical materials that termites ingest and carry back to the colony, spreading them to their counterparts and addressing colonies at the source. This control method is often best when dealing with larger populations.
Read more about baits.
This method is primarily used to control drywood termites as the treatment can reach termites living deep within a home. Fumigants permeate throughout the home and disrupt a termites metabolism once inhaled.
Read more about fumigation.
Heat treatments use a special, large-capacity heat blower to raise the temperature of specific areas of a home or property to between 120 140 degrees Fahrenheit to kill off any termites living within the wood structures. This treatment must be recommended and administered by a trained pest control specialist.
Read more about heat treatments.
Termite infestations often need some form of termiticide usage in order to help remove current populations and prevent future infestations. Usually this involves an application to the surface of compromised wood or into soil around the home, but it can also be injected directly into wood to more closely target termite populations.
Read more about termiticides.
For termites, moisture is critical for survival. Making sure to fix plumbing leak problems in a timely manner and ensure proper drainage around your home, all of which can go a long way in helping to avoid a termite infestation. Wood that is touching the ground is always at risk, so always remove wood that is in direct contact with the ground and use pre-treated wood to protect your home from wood decay and wood rot as much as possible.
Read more about moisture removal.
Bait & Monitoring Stations
Direct Wood Treatment
Follow this link:
Types of Termite Treatments - Orkin.com
- $350,000 Homes in Kentucky, Florida and Michigan - The New York Times - November 29th, 2019
- Analysis on the World's Pest Control Services Market, 2019 to 2025 - Growth in the Construction Sector and Increase in Vector-Borne Diseases &... - November 23rd, 2019
- Princeton celebrates 25 years of research and teaching at Mpala, Kenya - Princeton University - November 20th, 2019
- Termite Treatment Cost Guide for 2019 | eLocal - October 20th, 2019
- 7 Best Termite Treatment in 2019 Reviewed - Pest Policy - October 20th, 2019
- The Best Drywood Termite Treatment Methods - October 20th, 2019
- How long does termite treatment last? How often is termite ... - October 2nd, 2019
- How to Kill Termites Naturally: 7 Simple Methods to Get Rid ... - October 2nd, 2019
- Learn the BEST Termite Control Products, Methods ... - April 21st, 2019
- Best Termite Treatment - March 2019: Find Termite Control ... - April 5th, 2019
- When is Termite Treatment Necessary in the North & East Bay? - April 5th, 2019
- Termite Treatment & Control Phoenix, Mesa Arizona | Free ... - April 1st, 2019
- Get Rid of Rodents With Pest Control Kennesaw - March 17th, 2019
- Termite Treatments California | 2 Year Warranty - March 16th, 2019
- Termites: Types, Facts & How to Identify Them - 15% Off ... - February 25th, 2019
- Types of Subterranean, Drywood Termite Treatments - February 24th, 2019
- Termite Treatment - North Jersey Termite - January 31st, 2019
- Effective Termite Treatment | EarthRite Findlay, OH - January 31st, 2019
- Types of Termite Treatment | Massey Services, Inc. - January 31st, 2019
- No-Tent Termite Treatments in Tampa, Clearwater, St. Pete ... - January 31st, 2019
- Termite Treatment - Phoenix, AZ | Blue Sky Pest Control - January 31st, 2019
- Termite Treatment Services in San Jose and Bay Area by Planet ... - January 31st, 2019
- Termite Frass - A Sign Of Termites Anyone Can Identify - October 16th, 2018
- Top 6 Best Termite Treatments | Updated for 2018 - September 29th, 2018
- Termite Treatments: Chemical & Baiting | Ehrlich Pest Control - September 25th, 2018
- Termite Treatment DIY Projects Craft Ideas & How Tos for ... - September 25th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Options | Western Exterminator - September 22nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment in Florida | Fahey Pest - August 2nd, 2018
- Termite Elimination - Budget Brothers Termite - July 8th, 2018
- Termite Treatment | Termite Inspection | Dawsons Australia - July 4th, 2018
- Subterranean Termite Treatment Guide - DoMyOwn.com - July 2nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment - Sentricon System | Steve's Pest Control - May 18th, 2018
- Cost of Termite Treatment - Phoenix Az - Bills Pest ... - May 18th, 2018
- 2018 Average Termite Treatment Cost (with Price Factors) - April 22nd, 2018
- DIY Termite Treatment That Is Actually Effective - March 22nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment - Bug House Pest Control - March 12th, 2018
- Termidor Termite Treatment Spray - domyown.com - March 12th, 2018
- Termite Control, Termite Treatment - March 9th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Cost and Inspection Cost Guide - March 7th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Cost - FightBugs.com - March 4th, 2018
- The Average Cost of Termite Treatment | Action Termite & Pest ... - March 4th, 2018
- How Much Does a Termite Treatment & Inspection Cost? | Do My Own - March 1st, 2018
- No-Tent vs. Tent Termite Treatment | Command Pest Control - February 19th, 2018
- Prevent Termite Damage With Termite Control and Treatment Tips - February 17th, 2018
- Termite Control & Prevention Services | Massey Services, Inc. - January 23rd, 2018
- The Best Termite Companies in Los Angeles, CA (with Free ... - January 22nd, 2018
- The 10 Best Termite Companies in Miami , FL (with ... - Thumbtack - January 22nd, 2018
- Preventive Termite Treatment - Locate Effective Preventive ... - January 13th, 2018
- Termites in Nebraska - Omaha, Lincoln, Bellevue NE - January 5th, 2018
- Termidor Termite Treatment Brisbane - Pest Control and ... - January 2nd, 2018
- Termite Treatments Process | Raleigh, Cary, Wake Forest NC - December 15th, 2017
- Top Three Termite Treatment Methods - HomeTeam Pest Defense - December 15th, 2017
- Subterranean Termite Treatment Guide - How to Get Rid of ... - November 27th, 2017
- 2017 Termite Control Service Cost | Termite Treatment Cost - November 27th, 2017
- Termite treatment, exterminator, inspections,control,wdi's - November 21st, 2017
- Learn the Best Termite Control Products, Methods, Companies ... - November 13th, 2017
- 5 Best Termite Control, Inspection Services - Ashburn VA ... - November 12th, 2017
- Termite Treatment Methods - Orange Oil Termite Control - October 1st, 2017
- Bethesda Termite Exterminators - Capitol Pest - October 1st, 2017
- Termite Treatment - Slug-A-Bug Pest Control - September 26th, 2017
- Is tentless termite treatment better or worse then tenting ... - September 26th, 2017
- Termite Byte - The Local Termite Treatment Experts! - September 26th, 2017
- Arizona Pest Control | Tucson Termite Control Experts - September 26th, 2017
- Best 30 Termite in Secaucus, New Jersey with Reviews - YP.com - September 23rd, 2017
- Termite Traps, Bait and Control - Termitrust | Termitrust - September 6th, 2017
- The Average Cost of Termite Treatment | Termite Treatment And ... - September 5th, 2017
- Termite Treatment - The Big Green K - September 5th, 2017
- Letter: New construction - Charleston Post Courier - September 5th, 2017
- From cruise ship brewmaster to hurricane hunter, these are some of our unusual jobs - Miami Herald - September 3rd, 2017
- Face of Pest Control - My New Orleans - September 2nd, 2017
- Rochester NY Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - August 31st, 2017
- Council gives $20K to preserve landmarks - Sedona Red Rock News - August 31st, 2017
- Termite Treatments Dallas / Fort Worth - gotbugs.com - August 29th, 2017
- Orange oil termite treatment - Termite Web - August 29th, 2017
- Solving the ecological mystery of Africa's fairy circles - CU Boulder Today - August 25th, 2017
- Md. Couple's Termite Warranty Fails After Their Pest Control Company Is Bought Out - NBC4 Washington - August 25th, 2017
- Patrick Miller Prepares for New School Year at Webster - Malibu Times - August 19th, 2017
- Southwest projects continue to progress - Cassville Democrat - August 19th, 2017
- Leaf cutting ants, fig beetles, can be tough to get rid of - Arizona Daily Star - August 6th, 2017
- School board to meet briefly on Thursday - Davis Enterprise - August 1st, 2017