If bitten or stung:
Clean the area with soap and water, apply ice to slow the spread of venom. Seek medical treatment immediately if bitten by a black widow or brown recluse spider.
Important advice to avoid bites and stings: Never put your hands or fingers into or under an object you havent checked. Shake out boots and gloves before using.
All three of these creepy crawlers eat unwanted insects in fact, they may even eat each other. But who wants black widow spiders, scorpions or centipedes inside the home?
The bites or stings can be painful or life-threatening in rare cases.
Lets start with the arachnids. The most venomous spiders in the Quad-city area are the black widow and the brown recluse. The hairy wolf spider might be the ugliest, but its bite is not venomous.
The female black widow so named because they can eat their mate is recognized by its shiny black round shape and the red/orange hourglass on its abdomen. The males are not venomous.
Their webs are strongly built, but disorderly in appearance. They are nocturnal, hiding during the day in dark protected areas like under ledges, in corners of attics and sheds, and in woodpiles. While they are not aggressive, they will bite if accidentally disturbed or to protect their egg sacs.
Some people may not realize they have been bitten; others may feel immediate pain, burning, swelling and redness. Symptoms can include muscle aches, abdominal pain, breathing difficulties, excessive sweating and nausea. Black widow bites are hardly ever fatal.
The brown recluse spider is recognized by a dark violin-shaped mark on its back. It, too, likes woodpiles, tree stumps, unused cupboards, and space behind dressers and bookshelves.
Its bite produces a mild stinging and redness followed by severe pain within eight hours or so. There may be fever, chills and body aches. Most of the time, the bite heals in about week. Sometimes, however, a blister forms surrounded by a blue or purple area, which can evolve into a deep ulcer.
Mayoclinic.org recommends seeking prompt medical care if you suspect the bite is from a poisonous spider. If possible, capture the spider in a glass jar or container to bring with you.
Dave Coons, Pest Guard Pest & Termite, a local business, said as the weather changes, spiders and other insects are out and about looking for food and new areas to build homes.
Humans and domestic pets all have different reactions from these bites, Coons said, and it is advised to call poison control to describe symptoms or go to your local emergency room for treatment.
Scorpions have eight legs, lobster-like pinchers, and a tail that curves upward. Several species live in this area, but the most poisonous the small, nearly transparent, bark scorpion exists a little further south of Prescott, Coons said. They sting rather than bite, and are rarely fatal unless a person has a severe allergic reaction.
Also nocturnal, scorpions can be located in the dark by using an ultraviolet light (black light) where they glow a neon blue.
Most stings produce numbness and tingling around the site. The effects of venom in small children and the elderly may include difficulty breathing, muscle twitching and unusual head and eye movements, drooling, nausea, vomiting and inconsolable crying, the Mayoclinic.org site states.
Centipedes are arthropods, which also includes insects, spiders, and crustaceans, explains Jeff Schalau, with the University of Arizona Cooperative Extension.
They are not harmful to food, clothes, furniture, or other items within homes, although their presence can be unnerving, he said his Backyard Gardener column.
Centipedes are beneficial, predatory members of local ecosystems, and can rid a household of termites, roaches and spiders. They like damp places, under sinks, and also in storage spaces, bedding and clothing.
Because they eat many common pests, centipedes are considered beneficial when outdoors, Schalau said.
Each body segment joins the next. On the first segment behind the head, the centipede has hollow tubes, with openings at their sharpened tips that function as fangs, which are attached to venom glands, and are used to kill prey.
The bite, while rare, is considered about as serious as a bee sting. Redness, swelling and itching may last several hours to several days.
To rid your home of all three of these pests, keep the home dusted and vacuumed regularly; make it a place where insects these pests food supply are not welcome.
Most insects feed off of other insects, so an ongoing pest program reduces the food source, which reduces the entire population trying to invade your home, Coons said.
Store clothing in plastic bins with tight-fitting lids. Use a vacuum to reach indoor spiders, immediately removing, securely tying up the vacuum bag, and placing it in the trash outside. Unless sprayed directly onto the spider, pesticides dont work on the webs; spiders tiny feet cant pick up pesticide residue.
After finding their webs, return after nightfall with a flashlight, thick gloves and boots. Spray directly with insecticide or squash with a stick or shoe.
Seal small cracks in windows and doors with a caulking gun. Use weather stripping around windows and doors, and a door sweep on exterior doors.
Sticky traps along floorboards and in corners can catch unwanted insects. Schalau recommends using tongs and a jar to catch and release centipedes, as they are beneficial in the yard.
Exterminators can use stronger chemicals and get to hard-to-reach places. They are prohibited from spraying firewood. Keep your wood stacked away from the house and dont store indoors.
Some anecdotal natural preventatives include peppermint, eucalyptus, tea tree oil, neem and citrus oils. Mix 5-7 drops with warm water in spray bottle and spray under furniture and in corners. Add white vinegar for additional effectiveness.
Diatomaceous earth, a type of dried algae, causes dehydration in bugs and insects. Use a food-grade product and sprinkle around windowsills, doorways and baseboards.
Try planting lavender around the perimeter of the home. Place cedar chips around the outside foundation and in flowerbeds as a natural deterrent. Try a cat or chicken.
Spiders, scorpions and centipedes - The Daily Courier
- Protecting the protectors: Reserve Soldier on front lines helps contain COVID-19 spread - United States Army - June 25th, 2020
- Palestinian driver killed by police in attempted car-ramming attack near Jerusalem - Forward - June 25th, 2020
- Global Medical Thermometers Market: What it got next? Find out with the latest research available at 'The Market Reports' - Farmers Ledger - June 23rd, 2020
- Insects That Are Regularly Eaten Around The World - World Atlas - June 21st, 2020
- Argentina Telecommunications Strategic Analysis and Outlook to 2025-Analysis of Argentina Mobile, Fixed Telephone and Broadband Markets - Cole of Duty - June 18th, 2020
- Pak concerned over India becoming UNSC non-permanent member - IndiaPost.com - June 17th, 2020
- GEODRILL Part Of Keeping Things Moving At The Orthopedic Training Center - Modern Ghana - June 17th, 2020
- Packaging Coating Additives Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By... - June 17th, 2020
- Wild animals: A pioneering effort to save the pangolin from extinction | Future Planet - Explica - June 13th, 2020
- Where is Renovation Island Filmed? HGTV Show Filming Locations - The Cinemaholic - June 13th, 2020
- GMX Fencing Explains How to Tell when Wooden Fences Are in Need of Repair - Press Release - Digital Journal - June 12th, 2020
- Connected Healthcare Systems Market | Global Industry Analysis, Segments, Top Key Players, Drivers and Trends to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 12th, 2020
- Stop The Wildlife Trade: China removes pangolin scales from list of traditional medicines - The Independent - June 12th, 2020
- The Walking Dead Actor Didnt Think Those Gruesome Season 5 Episodes Would Air - We Got This Covered - June 12th, 2020
- Global trade impact of the Coronavirus Termite Control Services Market Competitive Landscape Analysis with Forecast by 2018 to 2027 - Bulletin Line - May 31st, 2020
- Bugs Bunny Is Back, and So Is the Looney Tunes Mayhem - The New York Times - May 30th, 2020
- Rodenticides Market Size to Reach USD 2.66 Billion by 2027; Rising Contamination of Food Items to Aid Growth, says Fortune Business Insights -... - May 30th, 2020
- Huge The Division 2 Story Leak Confirmed By Ubisoft - GameSpot - May 30th, 2020
- Review: Bug Fables is a must-have for fans of classic Paper Mario - Nintendo Enthusiast - May 30th, 2020
- These are the kinds of bugs you may see around San Antonio this summer - San Antonio Express-News - May 28th, 2020
- DOST-FPRDI studies the use of heat to treat wood and bamboo - Philippine Canadian Inquirer - May 28th, 2020
- Twitter wants to target conservatives -- with none of a publisher's responsibilities - New York Post - May 28th, 2020
- DoST studies use of heat to treat wood The Manila Times - The Manila Times - May 28th, 2020
- Long Island Prepares to Reopen: Going Back to Work (and Staying Home!) with Peace of Mind - LongIsland.com - May 26th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market | Growth, Trends, Size, Share, Demand And Top Growing Companies 2026 - Cole... - May 23rd, 2020
- Nothing to celebrate - The Indian Express - May 23rd, 2020
- 6 Pests on the Rise During Summertime - Newswire - May 23rd, 2020
- Global Ship Reduction Gearboxes Market 2020 by Type, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Jewish Life News - May 23rd, 2020
- SMITH: COVID-19 has brought an end to the handshake - Charleston Post Courier - May 20th, 2020
- Textile Yarn Market 2020 Global Overview, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Leading Company Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 20th, 2020
- Seed Coating Materials Market 2020 Global Overview, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Leading Company Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 20th, 2020
- UF/IFAS appoints interim director of Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center - hortidaily.com - May 18th, 2020
- 18 Easy Natural Home Remedies to Get Rid of Termites Quickly - May 17th, 2020
- 'They need help': The sad lives of city's 45000 hoarders - Fraser Coast Chronicle - May 11th, 2020
- 'Tis the season for flying insects that can destroy your house. So are you doing all you can to prevent the dr - WSB Radio - May 10th, 2020
- Rambo Total Pest Control SAVE 25% on local, honest, effective protection for a pest free home | The - The White Center Blog - May 10th, 2020
- Formosan termite swarming in New Orleans could continue through June, researcher says - NOLA.com - May 9th, 2020
- Female Sloth Bear Dies at Smithsonian's National Zoo - Smithsonian's National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute - May 9th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market Size by Top Key Players, Growth Opportunities, Incremental Revenue , Outlook and Forecasts to 2026 - Latest Herald - May 5th, 2020
- Rambo Total Pest Control SAVE 25% on local, honest, effective protection for a pest free home - The B-Town (Burien) Blog - The B-Town Blog - May 5th, 2020
- A service trip to Peru offers lessons for treating Covid-19 in the US - STAT - May 2nd, 2020
- The return to normalcy must not be a return of the old ways Howard Lee Chuan How - Malay Mail - May 2nd, 2020
- Termite Control Market Growth Opportunities, Challenges, Key Companies, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 1st, 2020
- Startup's Tech Converts 59 Million Litres of Sewage into Reusable Water - The Better India - May 1st, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market Overview With Detailed Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast to 2026|DoMyOwn, Specialist Termite Control, Rentokil -... - April 30th, 2020
- Pests in Your House: How Harmful Are They to Your Health? - Nature World News - April 30th, 2020
- US is Indias enemy when it calls out treatment of minorities, friend when Trump hugs Modi - ThePrint - April 30th, 2020
- COVID-19: Efforts Of Lagos State Government & Two Anambra Urban PGs Have Gladdened Our Heart - The Nigerian Voice - April 25th, 2020
- Insects extreme farming methods offer us lessons to learn and oddities to avoid - Science News - April 24th, 2020
- Wash away winter with these warm-weather home tasks - The Seattle Times - April 22nd, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market Analysis by Size, Share, Top Key Manufacturers, Demand Overview, Regional Outlook And Growth Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - April 22nd, 2020
- This must-read new thriller foresaw the coronavirus and Trumps response to it - Haaretz - April 22nd, 2020
- Green buildings: 18 examples of sustainable architecture around the world - CNN - April 22nd, 2020
- Covid-19: How fake news and Modi government messaging fuelled Indias latest spiral of Islamophobia - Scroll.in - April 21st, 2020
- Markhamia lutea, a versatile tree good for timber and medicine - nation.co.ke - April 18th, 2020
- 5 Reasons You Will Love Ultherapy Cosmetic Dermatology - News Lagoon - April 16th, 2020
- 8 reasons why buying used office furniture will cost you more in the long run. - News Lagoon - April 16th, 2020
- The 12 Best Hotel Room Views in the World - News Lagoon - April 16th, 2020
- Noithatkenli Explains Why it is Ideal to Choose Italian Furniture for Homes - Yahoo Finance - April 16th, 2020
- The underwater forest that may help the future of medicine - Yahoo News Canada - April 16th, 2020
- Conversations: Heather and Trevor Smith, 50 years with The Leprosy Mission in Thailand - Sight Magazine - April 16th, 2020
- Saved My Life, No Question: Boris Johnson, Out Of The Hospital, Goes Churchillian on the National Health Service - News Lagoon - April 16th, 2020
- It turns out that ants use their memories to escape from the traps - Somag News - April 11th, 2020
- Podcast: Will coronavirus change the pangolins' fate? - chinadialogue - April 9th, 2020
- Banner year for carpenter bees and other springtime pests - WBIR.com - April 9th, 2020
- A Wine-drinking Ex-Muslim's Defence Of The Tablighi Jamaat - Outlook India - April 9th, 2020
- LEE CAMP: Four Reasons the Ruling Elite Love This Crisis - Consortium News - April 9th, 2020
- Global Termite Bait System Products Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) by Termite, Type, Station, Application, Distribution Channel,... - April 3rd, 2020
- Kunal Kamra gets an epic reply from Shashi Tharoor when he tells Congress leader 'time to join BJP' - Pune Mirror - March 31st, 2020
- Rescued pangolins assigned human walkers to help them find their feet again - Independent Online - March 24th, 2020
- Global Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market Estimated to Expand at a Robust CAGR by 2028 - TheLoop21 - March 17th, 2020
- A river runs through it: Tracing the Dahisar's meandering and dwindling path - Firstpost - March 16th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market 2020 By Top Key Players/Manufacturers, Type and Application, Regions, Industry Analysis, Growth, Size, Trends and Forecast to... - March 13th, 2020
- I Went to CPAC, and All I Got Was Exposure to the Coronavirus - Mother Jones - March 12th, 2020
- Know the Warning Signs of a Termite Infestation Before It's Too Late - Business Wire - March 10th, 2020
- Miami Holds Top Spot on Orkin's Second Annual Termite Cities List - PRNewswire - March 9th, 2020
- The indomitable Myrtis Boothe - Frank, fearless and formidable - Jamaica Gleaner - March 3rd, 2020
- Mild winter weather can bring bugs into your home sooner - WWLP.com - February 19th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market 2020 Is Booming Across the Globe Explored in Latest Research with Top Key Players: Bifen I/T, Terro,... - February 15th, 2020
- Global Bakery Products Market Is Estimated To Expand At a Healthy CAGR in Upcoming year 2020-2026 - Jewish Life News - February 13th, 2020