When deciding on a termite control treatment method, it is always important to consider all the options. Today, more than ever, people are increasingly concerned with the use of chemicals for both personal health and environmental reasons. This has led some homeowners to explore the famous orange oil termite treatment method. So, what exactly is it, how is it carried out, and does it even work?
Orange oil contains an active ingredient known as d-limonene. D-limonene is the same compound found in many common household products (such as orange oil furniture polish, orange scented fragrance products, and orange based cleaners), and is extracted from orange peels.
Orange oil also contain plant oil compounds called terpenes, and is responsible for giving oranges their familiar smell. Because d-limonene is considered to be quite safe, with a low toxicity level, it has been gaining attention in current termite control methodology. Termites get killed by orange oil because it damages their outer exoskeleton, causing desiccation leading to death.
Orange oil termite treatments are designed to work in localized areas only, where the termite infestations are verified to be occurring. The oil only kills termites in the areas that have been treated. All experiments have constantly shown orange oil to be effective in killing all kinds of termites as long as they are exposed to it long enough.
Termite treatments involving orange oil require drilling into the infested wood, and then injecting the oil directly into the chambers to reach the termites. While orange oil can be an effective termite control method, it should not be assumed that you will never need other types of chemical-based or fumigation treatments.
NB: Tent fumigation techniques are the only type of control method that actually come with a guarantee stating all termites are killed throughout the whole structure in one treatment. The reason for this is because the majority of a structures framing is covered with various materials such as insulation, plaster, drywall, floor coverings, paint, and roofing materials. Poisonous gases like carbon dioxide or methyl bromide, and are pumped into the covered house and left for a period.
This does not mean that every house needs to be fumigated. The types of termites present, the number of termites present, and the number of areas infested, all factor into determining the proper treatment; which is precisely why you ultimately need to consult your professional exterminator.
Orange oil effectiveness
Treating in a localized method, such as with orange oil, will only control termites in precise areas where the insects have actually been seen. Since termites can move their foraging to new areas fairly easily, new infestations can crop up quickly. If you are not able to reach these areas, the new infestations can go completely unnoticed.
And all this is why orange oil treatment is mostly only applicable for drywood termites, and hardly effective for subterranean termites. Drywood termites have far smaller colonies compared to subterranean termites and are far less mobile; thus a correct application of orange oil on their nests can eliminate the entire colony. Even then, the oil needs to be applied to chambers that are actively occupied by termites; otherwise it wont be effective.
Above Orange oil must be applied directly to occupied chambers of drywood termites in order for it to work.
Termites are killed through 1) direct contact 2) breathing in the fumes 3) eating the poisoned wood. Common sense dictates that orange oil treatments will not kill all the termites in any given medium to large sized drywood termite colony, although some will undoubtedly be killed through its fumigation effect. This fumigation effect is reduced if the wood is moist; most of the fumes will be absorbed by the wood. This is why accurate application is necessary.
Measure of effectiveness
Accurate data on the effectiveness of orange oil treatment based on the number of callbacks is quite sketchy. A callback means the pest control operator needs to return to perform another treatment, due to renewed infestation activity. Some callback figures have been quoted as somewhere between 5-20%.
Pros and cons of orange oil as a termite control method
In order to fully understand if an orange oil treatment is right for you, carefully consider all of the advantages and disadvantages. Here are a few key pros and cons for easy reference:
Orange oil termite treatment - Termite Web
- The Best Termite Treatment For Pest Control - Bob Vila - August 14th, 2020
- Homes Recently Listed in the Park Hills Area - Daily Journal Online - August 14th, 2020
- A Glance (and a Rooster) That Changed Everything - The New York Times - August 14th, 2020
- Al Stahler: Energy give and take | TheUnion.com - The Union of Grass Valley - August 14th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of CNTP.NS earnings conference call or presentation 13-Aug-20 10:00am GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 14th, 2020
- U.S. Pest Protection Inaugural Pest Control Service Center in the Expanding Murfreesboro, TN; Experiencing Growth Amid Pandemic - Murfreesboro Post - August 12th, 2020
- Insect Pest Control Industry Sales, Supply and Consumption 2020 Analysis and Forecasts to 2026 - Bulletin Line - August 12th, 2020
- Terminix Hit With $2 Million Punitive Damages in Alabama Trial - Yahoo Finance - August 12th, 2020
- In six years, Indias ties with other South Asian countries have frayed, providing China with an opening - The Indian Express - August 12th, 2020
- Should we celebrate the spread of peafowl in India - Down To Earth Magazine - August 10th, 2020
- For us, by us: A new mutual aid effort delivers groceries to Black queer and trans people in the Bay Area - San Francisco Chronicle - August 10th, 2020
- U.S. Pest Protection Inaugural Pest Control Service Center in the Expanding Murfreesboro, TN; Experiencing Growth Amid Pandemic - Yahoo Finance - August 10th, 2020
- Celebrity Anti-Semites Cannot Be Absolved through Private Apologies - The Times of Israel - August 9th, 2020
- Column: Real Intelligence Isn't Just A Domain Ruled by Humans - Southern Pines Pilot - August 8th, 2020
- Celebrity Antisemites Can't Be Absolved Through Private Apologies - Algemeiner - August 8th, 2020
- Modi's brutal treatment of Kashmir exposes his tactics and their flaws - The Guardian - August 6th, 2020
- Chinese-speaking hackers increase activity and diversify cyberattack methods - TechRadar - August 6th, 2020
- U.S. Pest Protection Inaugural Pest Control Service Center in the Expanding Murfreesboro, TN; Experiencing Growth Amid Pandemic - Tullahoma News and... - August 6th, 2020
- Wildlife forensics: how a giant pangolin named Ghost could help save the species - The Guardian - August 6th, 2020
- Acceptable Hatred: The Acceptance of Anti-Semitism | Daniel ODowd | The Blogs - The Times of Israel - August 6th, 2020
- Bringing the Zoo to You: July 2020 - Smithsonian's National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute - August 6th, 2020
- Racism in the Ranks - Project On Government Oversight - July 9th, 2020
- At Its Best, The Last Of Us Part II Is A Chilling Depiction Of The Cycle Of Abuse - TheGamer - July 9th, 2020
- Judge: Orthodox camps wont be allowed to open - Forward - July 9th, 2020
- Indian citizenship has now been reduced to 'us' versus 'them' - MENAFN.COM - July 7th, 2020
- Truck Starter Motor Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Underground Utility Mapping Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Nutritive Sweetener Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- 50|50: The team looks at overwhelming pollution in the Hennops River - JustNje - July 6th, 2020
- Tropical forests threatened which is likely to have an impact on local livelihoods - Independent Online - July 6th, 2020
- How the ADL went from working with Facebook to leading a boycott against it - Forward - July 6th, 2020
- Real estate Q&A: Who has to pay for place to stay while rental home is tented for termites? - Boston Herald - July 4th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Bugs and Mosquitoes This Summer - Point2 Homes - July 3rd, 2020
- Protecting the protectors: Reserve Soldier on front lines helps contain COVID-19 spread - United States Army - June 25th, 2020
- Palestinian driver killed by police in attempted car-ramming attack near Jerusalem - Forward - June 25th, 2020
- Global Medical Thermometers Market: What it got next? Find out with the latest research available at 'The Market Reports' - Farmers Ledger - June 23rd, 2020
- Insects That Are Regularly Eaten Around The World - World Atlas - June 21st, 2020
- Argentina Telecommunications Strategic Analysis and Outlook to 2025-Analysis of Argentina Mobile, Fixed Telephone and Broadband Markets - Cole of Duty - June 18th, 2020
- Pak concerned over India becoming UNSC non-permanent member - IndiaPost.com - June 17th, 2020
- GEODRILL Part Of Keeping Things Moving At The Orthopedic Training Center - Modern Ghana - June 17th, 2020
- Packaging Coating Additives Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By... - June 17th, 2020
- Wild animals: A pioneering effort to save the pangolin from extinction | Future Planet - Explica - June 13th, 2020
- Where is Renovation Island Filmed? HGTV Show Filming Locations - The Cinemaholic - June 13th, 2020
- GMX Fencing Explains How to Tell when Wooden Fences Are in Need of Repair - Press Release - Digital Journal - June 12th, 2020
- Connected Healthcare Systems Market | Global Industry Analysis, Segments, Top Key Players, Drivers and Trends to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 12th, 2020
- Stop The Wildlife Trade: China removes pangolin scales from list of traditional medicines - The Independent - June 12th, 2020
- The Walking Dead Actor Didnt Think Those Gruesome Season 5 Episodes Would Air - We Got This Covered - June 12th, 2020
- Global trade impact of the Coronavirus Termite Control Services Market Competitive Landscape Analysis with Forecast by 2018 to 2027 - Bulletin Line - May 31st, 2020
- Bugs Bunny Is Back, and So Is the Looney Tunes Mayhem - The New York Times - May 30th, 2020
- Rodenticides Market Size to Reach USD 2.66 Billion by 2027; Rising Contamination of Food Items to Aid Growth, says Fortune Business Insights -... - May 30th, 2020
- Huge The Division 2 Story Leak Confirmed By Ubisoft - GameSpot - May 30th, 2020
- Review: Bug Fables is a must-have for fans of classic Paper Mario - Nintendo Enthusiast - May 30th, 2020
- These are the kinds of bugs you may see around San Antonio this summer - San Antonio Express-News - May 28th, 2020
- DOST-FPRDI studies the use of heat to treat wood and bamboo - Philippine Canadian Inquirer - May 28th, 2020
- Twitter wants to target conservatives -- with none of a publisher's responsibilities - New York Post - May 28th, 2020
- DoST studies use of heat to treat wood The Manila Times - The Manila Times - May 28th, 2020
- Long Island Prepares to Reopen: Going Back to Work (and Staying Home!) with Peace of Mind - LongIsland.com - May 26th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market | Growth, Trends, Size, Share, Demand And Top Growing Companies 2026 - Cole... - May 23rd, 2020
- Nothing to celebrate - The Indian Express - May 23rd, 2020
- 6 Pests on the Rise During Summertime - Newswire - May 23rd, 2020
- Global Ship Reduction Gearboxes Market 2020 by Type, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Jewish Life News - May 23rd, 2020
- SMITH: COVID-19 has brought an end to the handshake - Charleston Post Courier - May 20th, 2020
- Textile Yarn Market 2020 Global Overview, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Leading Company Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 20th, 2020
- Seed Coating Materials Market 2020 Global Overview, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Leading Company Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 20th, 2020
- UF/IFAS appoints interim director of Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center - hortidaily.com - May 18th, 2020
- 18 Easy Natural Home Remedies to Get Rid of Termites Quickly - May 17th, 2020
- 'They need help': The sad lives of city's 45000 hoarders - Fraser Coast Chronicle - May 11th, 2020
- 'Tis the season for flying insects that can destroy your house. So are you doing all you can to prevent the dr - WSB Radio - May 10th, 2020
- Rambo Total Pest Control SAVE 25% on local, honest, effective protection for a pest free home | The - The White Center Blog - May 10th, 2020
- Formosan termite swarming in New Orleans could continue through June, researcher says - NOLA.com - May 9th, 2020
- Female Sloth Bear Dies at Smithsonian's National Zoo - Smithsonian's National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute - May 9th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market Size by Top Key Players, Growth Opportunities, Incremental Revenue , Outlook and Forecasts to 2026 - Latest Herald - May 5th, 2020
- Rambo Total Pest Control SAVE 25% on local, honest, effective protection for a pest free home - The B-Town (Burien) Blog - The B-Town Blog - May 5th, 2020
- A service trip to Peru offers lessons for treating Covid-19 in the US - STAT - May 2nd, 2020
- The return to normalcy must not be a return of the old ways Howard Lee Chuan How - Malay Mail - May 2nd, 2020
- Termite Control Market Growth Opportunities, Challenges, Key Companies, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 1st, 2020
- Startup's Tech Converts 59 Million Litres of Sewage into Reusable Water - The Better India - May 1st, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market Overview With Detailed Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast to 2026|DoMyOwn, Specialist Termite Control, Rentokil -... - April 30th, 2020
- Pests in Your House: How Harmful Are They to Your Health? - Nature World News - April 30th, 2020