While monumental shocks currently pound citizens around the world, an orgiastic festival of exploitation is underway.
President Donald Trump and advisers hold video conference with banking executives, April 7, 2020. (White House, Shealah Craighead)
By Lee CampSpecial to Consortium News
Leviathan monumental shocks currently pound citizens around the world. Shocks to our lives. Shocks to the economy. Shocks to our reality. Shocks to our families, our careers, what we used to view as our normal. The pain of these shocks hits us in many ways, not the least of which is being forced to have sex while 6 feet apart.
Welcome to the Shock Doctrine.
Many of you may know Naomi Kleins best-selling book The Shock Doctrine. It was also turned into a hit documentary I believe called Fight Club, but dont quote me on that. The Shock Doctrine basically says that the rich and powerful our rulers bereft of empathy or moral cores exploit any crisis such as disasters, natural and otherwise, to force through controversial, draconian, profit-based, or flat-out, offensive policies and laws, while the majority of the populace are too distracted, stressed, and drowning in anxiety to fight back adequately.
To put that another way: When the shit hits the fan, rather than help people, the ruling thieves have a ball!
Weve witnessed this tactic before:
Because our ruling elite fit in the farthest reaches of the sociopath spectrum, they do not see a horrific crisis as a time to help people. They see it as a time to get what they want.
American burlesque on Ben Hur, circa 1900. (Wikimedia Commons)
And Americans have hardly faced a crisis as formidable as right now. Someone dies in New York City every two minutes from coronavirus, the Federal Reserve now estimates job losses could total 47 million, the unemployment rate may hit 32 percent and the National Air Guitar Championships have been postponed.
This. Is. A. Crisis.
Which means its prime time for the oligarchs to exploit the bottom 90 percent of us. The largest way theyve used this catastrophe so far is to pass their $2 trillion giveaway to corporate America with little-to-no oversight. David Dayen at American Prospect calls it a robbery in progress, and they plan to viscerally excrete more soon.
Hardly a moment of discussion about this (central) bank robbery on our corporate airwaves stabs through the wall-to-wall virus coverage. Even members of Congress hardly dig into it after quickly signing off on the bailout bill, they had to run home to take care of their mistresses blind perfumed labradoodles (or whatever it is the elite do when they arent destroying average peoples lives via toxic giveaways to corporate monstrosities).
Here are some of the other controversial policies and laws joyfully being slammed through in an orgiastic festival of exploitation at the top:
With this change corporate America and fossil fuel companies may begin polluting with impunity, putting an end to the exhausting practice of pretending as if every time they dumped a million gallons of noxious chemicals into a river it was an accident. After all, their throats were hoarse from yelling Whoopsy! so often.
Security forces fire pepper spray at protesters at the Dakota Access pipeline construction site. (Tim Yakaitis)
But look on the bright side America will soon recapture our glory years when many rivers glowed bright with fire, highly flammable from such an effective polluting. Im sure many Americans will feel their hearts swell with patriotic fervor when the rivers run red with the lively, acrid flames of feral capitalism. A festive sight indeed!
This means that as long as the courts yell the word emergency, they can hold anybody including U.S. citizens for eternity without charges or trial. What constitutes an emergency, one might ask. Well, lets see: hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, droughts, mud slides, Slip n Slides, viruses, black mold, termite infestations, bad cuts (especially in hard-to-reach areas), scrapes, bruises, polyps, bunions, rashes, fractures, sprains, twists, turns, tumors, tremors, trichinosis, in-grown crotch hairs, and of course hangnails. Emergencies are clearly everywhere! We better burn the Constitution!
And Im saying that from a place of deep concern for our society, not because I like kids. I dont like kids. Not a fan. Theyre sticky and tenacious and high-pitched and they ask questions you cant answer like,Whys the sky blue? and Why does the moon follow us when we drive? and Why are they named the Mario Brothers if its Mario & Luigi? Whats their last name? and Is the anteater the only animal named after what it eats? At some point during this gut-wrenching inquisition I generally break down into incoherent mumblings of deep self doubt.
These are just four examples of obvious Shock Doctrine spoils. Along with the trillions of stolen money pilfered by way of the bailout, this will amount to quite a nice bag of booty but thats not enough. The neo-liberals and neo-cons will continue their disaster thievery for some time to come.
But shocks to the system can be used for positivechange as well. For example, workers have been uniting in a way not seen in decades, and the possibility of a general strike hovers just over the horizon. Suddenly average workers people stocking shelves, delivering packages, driving food cross country, caring for the elderly have been told they are essential to the beating heart of American life.
Meanwhile we all now recognize that hedge fund managers, CEOs, corporate lawyers, marketing execs, sports entertainment sales specialists, and professional boardroom fluffers are not essential. They are overpaid courtesans, empowering a flailing consumerist death march, empty calories for an obese and slovenly pseudo-existence.
The current strikes and worker solidarity are due to the fact that the shock of the outbreak has woken a lot of people up. Citizens who have slept through these matters for years suddenly see the big picture. In fact, a new poll shows nearly 60 percent in of the U.S. believe the political system is designed solely to serve the rich and powerful. Sixty percent of Americans now understand the problem. We must use this shock to the system to benefit the people rather than the rich and powerful leeches getting plump off the blood of minimum wage workers.
As Margaret Kimberly wrote recently, A return to normalcy is the opposite of what we need. This is a moment to think about what should be the new normal and what should be jettisoned forever.
Now is the time for great change because when things are back to normal, its too late.
Lee Camp is the host of the hit comedy news show Redacted Tonight. His new book Bullet Points and Punch Lines is available at LeeCampBook.com and his standup comedy special can be streamed for free at LeeCampAmerican.com.
The views expressed are solely those of the author and may or may not reflect those ofConsortium News.
Before commenting please read Robert ParrysComment Policy.Allegations unsupported by facts, gross or misleading factual errors and ad hominem attacks, and abusive or rude language toward other commenters or our writers will not be published. If your comment does not immediately appear, please be patient as it is manually reviewed. For security reasons, please refrain from inserting links in your comments, which should not be longer than 300 words.
- Truck Starter Motor Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Underground Utility Mapping Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Nutritive Sweetener Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- 50|50: The team looks at overwhelming pollution in the Hennops River - JustNje - July 6th, 2020
- Tropical forests threatened which is likely to have an impact on local livelihoods - Independent Online - July 6th, 2020
- RM1mil allocated for 'George Town in the New Normal' project - New Straits Times - July 6th, 2020
- How the ADL went from working with Facebook to leading a boycott against it - Forward - July 6th, 2020
- Real estate Q&A: Who has to pay for place to stay while rental home is tented for termites? - Boston Herald - July 4th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Bugs and Mosquitoes This Summer - Point2 Homes - July 3rd, 2020
- Protecting the protectors: Reserve Soldier on front lines helps contain COVID-19 spread - United States Army - June 25th, 2020
- Palestinian driver killed by police in attempted car-ramming attack near Jerusalem - Forward - June 25th, 2020
- Global Medical Thermometers Market: What it got next? Find out with the latest research available at 'The Market Reports' - Farmers Ledger - June 23rd, 2020
- Insects That Are Regularly Eaten Around The World - World Atlas - June 21st, 2020
- Argentina Telecommunications Strategic Analysis and Outlook to 2025-Analysis of Argentina Mobile, Fixed Telephone and Broadband Markets - Cole of Duty - June 18th, 2020
- Pak concerned over India becoming UNSC non-permanent member - IndiaPost.com - June 17th, 2020
- GEODRILL Part Of Keeping Things Moving At The Orthopedic Training Center - Modern Ghana - June 17th, 2020
- Packaging Coating Additives Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By... - June 17th, 2020
- Wild animals: A pioneering effort to save the pangolin from extinction | Future Planet - Explica - June 13th, 2020
- Where is Renovation Island Filmed? HGTV Show Filming Locations - The Cinemaholic - June 13th, 2020
- GMX Fencing Explains How to Tell when Wooden Fences Are in Need of Repair - Press Release - Digital Journal - June 12th, 2020
- Connected Healthcare Systems Market | Global Industry Analysis, Segments, Top Key Players, Drivers and Trends to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 12th, 2020
- Stop The Wildlife Trade: China removes pangolin scales from list of traditional medicines - The Independent - June 12th, 2020
- The Walking Dead Actor Didnt Think Those Gruesome Season 5 Episodes Would Air - We Got This Covered - June 12th, 2020
- Global trade impact of the Coronavirus Termite Control Services Market Competitive Landscape Analysis with Forecast by 2018 to 2027 - Bulletin Line - May 31st, 2020
- Bugs Bunny Is Back, and So Is the Looney Tunes Mayhem - The New York Times - May 30th, 2020
- Rodenticides Market Size to Reach USD 2.66 Billion by 2027; Rising Contamination of Food Items to Aid Growth, says Fortune Business Insights -... - May 30th, 2020
- Huge The Division 2 Story Leak Confirmed By Ubisoft - GameSpot - May 30th, 2020
- Review: Bug Fables is a must-have for fans of classic Paper Mario - Nintendo Enthusiast - May 30th, 2020
- These are the kinds of bugs you may see around San Antonio this summer - San Antonio Express-News - May 28th, 2020
- DOST-FPRDI studies the use of heat to treat wood and bamboo - Philippine Canadian Inquirer - May 28th, 2020
- Twitter wants to target conservatives -- with none of a publisher's responsibilities - New York Post - May 28th, 2020
- DoST studies use of heat to treat wood The Manila Times - The Manila Times - May 28th, 2020
- Long Island Prepares to Reopen: Going Back to Work (and Staying Home!) with Peace of Mind - LongIsland.com - May 26th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market | Growth, Trends, Size, Share, Demand And Top Growing Companies 2026 - Cole... - May 23rd, 2020
- Nothing to celebrate - The Indian Express - May 23rd, 2020
- 6 Pests on the Rise During Summertime - Newswire - May 23rd, 2020
- Global Ship Reduction Gearboxes Market 2020 by Type, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Jewish Life News - May 23rd, 2020
- SMITH: COVID-19 has brought an end to the handshake - Charleston Post Courier - May 20th, 2020
- Textile Yarn Market 2020 Global Overview, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Leading Company Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 20th, 2020
- Seed Coating Materials Market 2020 Global Overview, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Leading Company Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 20th, 2020
- UF/IFAS appoints interim director of Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center - hortidaily.com - May 18th, 2020
- 18 Easy Natural Home Remedies to Get Rid of Termites Quickly - May 17th, 2020
- 'They need help': The sad lives of city's 45000 hoarders - Fraser Coast Chronicle - May 11th, 2020
- 'Tis the season for flying insects that can destroy your house. So are you doing all you can to prevent the dr - WSB Radio - May 10th, 2020
- Rambo Total Pest Control SAVE 25% on local, honest, effective protection for a pest free home | The - The White Center Blog - May 10th, 2020
- Formosan termite swarming in New Orleans could continue through June, researcher says - NOLA.com - May 9th, 2020
- Female Sloth Bear Dies at Smithsonian's National Zoo - Smithsonian's National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute - May 9th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market Size by Top Key Players, Growth Opportunities, Incremental Revenue , Outlook and Forecasts to 2026 - Latest Herald - May 5th, 2020
- Rambo Total Pest Control SAVE 25% on local, honest, effective protection for a pest free home - The B-Town (Burien) Blog - The B-Town Blog - May 5th, 2020
- A service trip to Peru offers lessons for treating Covid-19 in the US - STAT - May 2nd, 2020
- The return to normalcy must not be a return of the old ways Howard Lee Chuan How - Malay Mail - May 2nd, 2020
- Termite Control Market Growth Opportunities, Challenges, Key Companies, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 1st, 2020
- Startup's Tech Converts 59 Million Litres of Sewage into Reusable Water - The Better India - May 1st, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market Overview With Detailed Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast to 2026|DoMyOwn, Specialist Termite Control, Rentokil -... - April 30th, 2020
- Pests in Your House: How Harmful Are They to Your Health? - Nature World News - April 30th, 2020
- US is Indias enemy when it calls out treatment of minorities, friend when Trump hugs Modi - ThePrint - April 30th, 2020
- COVID-19: Efforts Of Lagos State Government & Two Anambra Urban PGs Have Gladdened Our Heart - The Nigerian Voice - April 25th, 2020
- Insects extreme farming methods offer us lessons to learn and oddities to avoid - Science News - April 24th, 2020
- Wash away winter with these warm-weather home tasks - The Seattle Times - April 22nd, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market Analysis by Size, Share, Top Key Manufacturers, Demand Overview, Regional Outlook And Growth Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - April 22nd, 2020
- This must-read new thriller foresaw the coronavirus and Trumps response to it - Haaretz - April 22nd, 2020
- Green buildings: 18 examples of sustainable architecture around the world - CNN - April 22nd, 2020
- Covid-19: How fake news and Modi government messaging fuelled Indias latest spiral of Islamophobia - Scroll.in - April 21st, 2020
- Markhamia lutea, a versatile tree good for timber and medicine - nation.co.ke - April 18th, 2020
- 5 Reasons You Will Love Ultherapy Cosmetic Dermatology - News Lagoon - April 16th, 2020
- 8 reasons why buying used office furniture will cost you more in the long run. - News Lagoon - April 16th, 2020
- The 12 Best Hotel Room Views in the World - News Lagoon - April 16th, 2020
- Noithatkenli Explains Why it is Ideal to Choose Italian Furniture for Homes - Yahoo Finance - April 16th, 2020
- The underwater forest that may help the future of medicine - Yahoo News Canada - April 16th, 2020
- Conversations: Heather and Trevor Smith, 50 years with The Leprosy Mission in Thailand - Sight Magazine - April 16th, 2020
- Saved My Life, No Question: Boris Johnson, Out Of The Hospital, Goes Churchillian on the National Health Service - News Lagoon - April 16th, 2020
- It turns out that ants use their memories to escape from the traps - Somag News - April 11th, 2020
- Podcast: Will coronavirus change the pangolins' fate? - chinadialogue - April 9th, 2020
- Banner year for carpenter bees and other springtime pests - WBIR.com - April 9th, 2020
- A Wine-drinking Ex-Muslim's Defence Of The Tablighi Jamaat - Outlook India - April 9th, 2020
- Global Termite Bait System Products Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) by Termite, Type, Station, Application, Distribution Channel,... - April 3rd, 2020
- Kunal Kamra gets an epic reply from Shashi Tharoor when he tells Congress leader 'time to join BJP' - Pune Mirror - March 31st, 2020
- Rescued pangolins assigned human walkers to help them find their feet again - Independent Online - March 24th, 2020
- Global Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market Estimated to Expand at a Robust CAGR by 2028 - TheLoop21 - March 17th, 2020