Top 7 Natural Ways to Get Rid of Termites
Want to kill termites naturally? So this post is the simple guide on how to kill termites naturally that youre looking for. Read on to discover the top 7 natural methods to get rid of termites.
Although termites are an essential part of the ecosystem, outside of nature they can be quite destructive when they set their sights on our homes and businesses. If their progress remains unchecked, they can cause massive damages total thousands of dollars in repairs.
Taking these factors into consideration, we can see how vital it is that homeowners and business owners identify signs of termites infestation and learn about different methods on how to kill termites naturally.
Signs of Termites
There are two major groups of termites that may be causing the damage. These are known as subterranean termites and wood termites.
The signs of infestation will vary depending on which type of termite is present.
Subterranean termites reside underground and build their colonies on the soil. They leave behind telltale signs of mud tube formations on the external-walls of a building.
You may also notice swarms of winged-termites or discarded wings in the affected areas. Wood termites have the tendency to attack pieces of wood furniture.
You may notice sawdust on the floor along with cracked and damaged paint finishes. Small particles around the base of the damaged furniture are probably frass, the droppings of wood termites.
There are several methods one can attempt to rid an area of termite infestation. If you opt to tackle the problem yourself, there are several techniques that can be researched further to find out how to get rid of termites naturally.
Below are 7 simple methods that explain how to kill termites naturally. You can try them today to get rid of termites.
Using cardboard traps is considered one of the most natural and non-toxic ways of eliminating-termites naturally.
Cardboard traps are effective because they contain a certain compound known as cellulose that attracts female termites. Cardboard gives off a woody smell by means of this cellulose.
It is this aroma that can prove irresistible to termites. Lightly spraying the cardboard with a small amount of water serves to make the smell more powerful.
Place the dampened piece of cardboard near the target area. The termites will then group themselves on top of it, after which it can be collected and disposed of by burning.
For a fact, termites are extremely susceptible to sunlight and actually die off when they theyre exposed to it and its consequent heat.
It can help to clear out any covering vegetation around areas where a subterranean colony has taken up residence. An even more effective solution might be to dig up the targeted section and expose the termites directly to sunlight.
For termite infested furniture, it may help to air the pieces of furniture outside in the bright sunlight during the hottest part of the day. This can kill off any termites that may be hiding inside the furniture and out of sight.
For the most part, it is known that termites thrive and multiply in areas that are rich in water moisture.
Keeping this in mind, you can ensure that the interior of the room or building is kept dry and that any moisture prone areas are repaired.
It will also be helpful to look around the perimeter of the building and ensure that there are no water pools or water leakages in contact with the foundation.
There are small worms known as Parasitic Nematodes that feed on microscopic creatures such as bacteria and fungi.
Interestingly, there are a few groups of these parasitic Nematodes that are known for feeding on small insects such as termites. This is a form of biological control one can use to introduce a natural predator into the termite colony and let nature take its course.
Using these small Nematodes is an extremely effective way to remove a stubborn termite infestation.
To find Parasitic Nematodes for this purpose, you can search online stores or your local pesticide store.
Using orange oil can be effective because it contains the active compound known as d-limonene. This compound is powerful enough to kill termites on contact.
Dry wood termite colonies with well defined boundaries are most vulnerable to orange oil treatments.
Neem oil is another effective botanical treatment for ousting termites. It is extracted from the Asian neem tree and must be directly ingested by the termites in order to have the desired effect.
When using Neem oil, it is usually necessary to repeat the application several times before the entire colony is eliminated.
When inquiring about how to kill termites naturally, a common solution many are familiar with is the use of borax powder.
Using sodium borate, also called borax, is another way to remove termites in a natural way.
Subterranean termites can be killed by using a solution of sodium borate or by applying sodium borate powder to the targeted area.
An advantage of using borates, as with most natural-ways of eliminating termite pests, is that it is non-toxic to both humans and pets.
One method of administering a borate solution is to spray or paint it onto wood surfaces of newly constructed buildings. This painting method can prevent future infestations of termites from occurring.
When treating a colony in an existing structure, it can be difficult to determine whether the borate powder is successfully infiltrating the entire colony. It can be more effective to spray the colony with a liquid solution for the best coverage.
It may be necessary to repeat applications of the borate treatments to ensure that the entire colony is exterminated. It is also especially effective to use borate treatments in conjunction with other natural treatments.
For drywood termite infestations, it is possible to find a solution using heat and cold treatments.
In order to prepare for a heat treatment, you must first remove certain items from the building. This is because, during a heat treatment, a forced, heated air flow is pushed into a sealed structure with temperatures of up to 140 degrees.
The treated area has to reach a temperature of 120 degrees for thirty five minutes in order to successfully kill the colony. When cold treatments are used, an extremely cold temperature of 15 degrees must be maintained for four days to be effective.
Becoming familiar with how to kill termites naturally can equip a person with the know-how of many different safe and effective methods.
These removal methods can even be combined with one another when treating an especially large or problematic termite colony.
Incorporating these natural techniques also helps to ensure maximum safety since the use of potentially harmful chemicals is avoided.
Read more here:
How to Kill Termites Naturally: 7 Simple Methods to Get Rid ...
- How long does termite treatment last? How often is termite ... - October 2nd, 2019
- Learn the BEST Termite Control Products, Methods ... - April 21st, 2019
- Best Termite Treatment - March 2019: Find Termite Control ... - April 5th, 2019
- When is Termite Treatment Necessary in the North & East Bay? - April 5th, 2019
- Termite Treatment & Control Phoenix, Mesa Arizona | Free ... - April 1st, 2019
- Get Rid of Rodents With Pest Control Kennesaw - March 17th, 2019
- Termite Treatments California | 2 Year Warranty - March 16th, 2019
- Termites: Types, Facts & How to Identify Them - 15% Off ... - February 25th, 2019
- Types of Subterranean, Drywood Termite Treatments - February 24th, 2019
- Termite Treatment - North Jersey Termite - January 31st, 2019
- Effective Termite Treatment | EarthRite Findlay, OH - January 31st, 2019
- Types of Termite Treatment | Massey Services, Inc. - January 31st, 2019
- No-Tent Termite Treatments in Tampa, Clearwater, St. Pete ... - January 31st, 2019
- Termite Treatment - Phoenix, AZ | Blue Sky Pest Control - January 31st, 2019
- Termite Treatment Services in San Jose and Bay Area by Planet ... - January 31st, 2019
- Termite Frass - A Sign Of Termites Anyone Can Identify - October 16th, 2018
- Top 6 Best Termite Treatments | Updated for 2018 - September 29th, 2018
- Termite Treatments: Chemical & Baiting | Ehrlich Pest Control - September 25th, 2018
- Termite Treatment DIY Projects Craft Ideas & How Tos for ... - September 25th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Options | Western Exterminator - September 22nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment in Florida | Fahey Pest - August 2nd, 2018
- Termite Elimination - Budget Brothers Termite - July 8th, 2018
- Termite Treatment | Termite Inspection | Dawsons Australia - July 4th, 2018
- Subterranean Termite Treatment Guide - DoMyOwn.com - July 2nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment - Sentricon System | Steve's Pest Control - May 18th, 2018
- Cost of Termite Treatment - Phoenix Az - Bills Pest ... - May 18th, 2018
- 2018 Average Termite Treatment Cost (with Price Factors) - April 22nd, 2018
- DIY Termite Treatment That Is Actually Effective - March 22nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment - Bug House Pest Control - March 12th, 2018
- Termidor Termite Treatment Spray - domyown.com - March 12th, 2018
- Termite Control, Termite Treatment - March 9th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Cost and Inspection Cost Guide - March 7th, 2018
- Types of Termite Treatments - Orkin.com - March 5th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Cost - FightBugs.com - March 4th, 2018
- The Average Cost of Termite Treatment | Action Termite & Pest ... - March 4th, 2018
- How Much Does a Termite Treatment & Inspection Cost? | Do My Own - March 1st, 2018
- No-Tent vs. Tent Termite Treatment | Command Pest Control - February 19th, 2018
- Prevent Termite Damage With Termite Control and Treatment Tips - February 17th, 2018
- Termite Control & Prevention Services | Massey Services, Inc. - January 23rd, 2018
- The Best Termite Companies in Los Angeles, CA (with Free ... - January 22nd, 2018
- The 10 Best Termite Companies in Miami , FL (with ... - Thumbtack - January 22nd, 2018
- Preventive Termite Treatment - Locate Effective Preventive ... - January 13th, 2018
- Termites in Nebraska - Omaha, Lincoln, Bellevue NE - January 5th, 2018
- Termidor Termite Treatment Brisbane - Pest Control and ... - January 2nd, 2018
- Termite Treatments Process | Raleigh, Cary, Wake Forest NC - December 15th, 2017
- Top Three Termite Treatment Methods - HomeTeam Pest Defense - December 15th, 2017
- Subterranean Termite Treatment Guide - How to Get Rid of ... - November 27th, 2017
- 2017 Termite Control Service Cost | Termite Treatment Cost - November 27th, 2017
- Termite treatment, exterminator, inspections,control,wdi's - November 21st, 2017
- Learn the Best Termite Control Products, Methods, Companies ... - November 13th, 2017
- 5 Best Termite Control, Inspection Services - Ashburn VA ... - November 12th, 2017
- Termite Treatment Methods - Orange Oil Termite Control - October 1st, 2017
- Bethesda Termite Exterminators - Capitol Pest - October 1st, 2017
- Termite Treatment - Slug-A-Bug Pest Control - September 26th, 2017
- Is tentless termite treatment better or worse then tenting ... - September 26th, 2017
- Termite Byte - The Local Termite Treatment Experts! - September 26th, 2017
- Arizona Pest Control | Tucson Termite Control Experts - September 26th, 2017
- Best 30 Termite in Secaucus, New Jersey with Reviews - YP.com - September 23rd, 2017
- Termite Traps, Bait and Control - Termitrust | Termitrust - September 6th, 2017
- The Average Cost of Termite Treatment | Termite Treatment And ... - September 5th, 2017
- Termite Treatment - The Big Green K - September 5th, 2017
- Letter: New construction - Charleston Post Courier - September 5th, 2017
- From cruise ship brewmaster to hurricane hunter, these are some of our unusual jobs - Miami Herald - September 3rd, 2017
- Face of Pest Control - My New Orleans - September 2nd, 2017
- Rochester NY Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - August 31st, 2017
- Council gives $20K to preserve landmarks - Sedona Red Rock News - August 31st, 2017
- Termite Treatments Dallas / Fort Worth - gotbugs.com - August 29th, 2017
- Orange oil termite treatment - Termite Web - August 29th, 2017
- Solving the ecological mystery of Africa's fairy circles - CU Boulder Today - August 25th, 2017
- Md. Couple's Termite Warranty Fails After Their Pest Control Company Is Bought Out - NBC4 Washington - August 25th, 2017
- Patrick Miller Prepares for New School Year at Webster - Malibu Times - August 19th, 2017
- Southwest projects continue to progress - Cassville Democrat - August 19th, 2017
- Leaf cutting ants, fig beetles, can be tough to get rid of - Arizona Daily Star - August 6th, 2017
- School board to meet briefly on Thursday - Davis Enterprise - August 1st, 2017
- Blog: The dampwood termite - Delta-Optimist (blog) - July 11th, 2017
- Pest prevention: Keep water away from the house - GoErie.com - July 8th, 2017
- Experience has Produced a Leader In Omaha ... - Digital Journal - Digital Journal (press release) - July 6th, 2017
- Atlanta Home Goes Green - Builder Magazine - July 6th, 2017
- Upgrading, maintenance of schools - The Star Online - July 2nd, 2017
- NEWS IN BRIEF FOR ST. JOHNS COUNTY, ST. AUGUSTINE & SURROUNDING AREAS - St. Augustine Record - July 2nd, 2017