Louisville, Ky. | $325,000A 1941 Cape Cod-style house with three bedrooms and two bathrooms, on a 0.21-acre lot
This home is in St. Matthews, a historic city that became an eastern suburb of Louisville and was absorbed into the metropolitan area in 2003. It is currently a shopping and dining destination with two large malls and multiple chain restaurants. Situated on a corner lot and partly enclosed by a white picket fence, the property is about six miles east of downtown Louisville and two and a half miles southeast of parks and boat ramps along the Ohio River. Its roof was recently updated.
Size: 2,096 square feet
Price per square foot: $155
Indoors: The front door, inset with a square of diamond-paned glass, opens to a narrow foyer with arched doorways on either side. To the right is a living room with the original wood floors, six-over-six sash windows and a gas fireplace surrounded by white tile. A door leads to a side porch that could be used as a craft room.
To the left is a dining room with chair-rail molding and a bay window. The eat-in kitchen off the dining room contains original cabinets with Formica countertops, new stainless steel appliances and laminate flooring. It opens to a family room in an addition of uncertain date with bead-board paneling, painted brick walls and extensive built-in shelves and cabinets.
A bedroom off the family room connects to a second room with a paneled wainscot that served as a nursery. Both rooms have use of a new hallway bathroom with a marble vanity top and a marble-tiled tub and shower.
Upstairs is a pair of rooms that could be used as a master and attached sitting room or nursery. These have an en suite bathroom with a bowl sink embedded in a cabinet and a combined tub and shower.
The house also has a 1,000-square-foot unfinished basement.
Outdoor space: A wood fence at least six feet high provides privacy at the back. The family room steps down to a large outdoor brick patio that is elevated a few feet above the lawn. Parking is in a detached one-car garage.
Taxes: $2,857 (2018, based on a tax assessment of $255,000)
Contact: Mac Barlow, Kentucky Select Properties, 502-938-3283; kyselectproperties.com
CenterBeam, a construction company that specializes in historic homes and has a sister real estate company that sells the renovated properties, bought and restored this 1922 stucco bungalow in 2019. It is in the Avondale neighborhood, within walking distance of several parks and restaurants. The St. Johns River, enjoyed by sailors, kayakers and fisherfolk, is six blocks away. Downtown Jacksonville is about four miles northeast. The property is not in a flood zone.
Size: 1,418 square feet
Price per square foot: $246
Indoors: During the renovation, which followed three years of vacancy, wood floors, some with a mahogany inlay, were refinished and the original wavy-glass single-pane windows were preserved. The white-brick living room fireplace and the cast-iron tub in the guest bathroom also remain.
Improvements include a new HVAC system, complete rewiring and new pipes and plumbing fixtures, 40 percent new drywall added to the existing plaster, fresh paint inside and out, and termite and beetle treatment. The kitchen and bathrooms are entirely new, as are the decorative light fixtures installed throughout. The roof is 10 years old.
The main entrance opens into the living room, where original cabinets with leaded-glass door fronts flank the fireplace. (The shiplap siding on that wall was recently added.) Original French doors open to a dining room with new crown molding. Beyond it is a kitchen with white-painted plywood lap-wall siding, tile floors, white cabinets with quartz countertops, a Kraus sink and other stainless steel fixtures and appliances. Hookups were installed for a washer and dryer.
The large master bedroom is off the dining room. It has three exposures, original moldings and an en suite bathroom with a glass walk-in shower and porcelain tile that resembles stone. The guest bedroom is across from the kitchen and has use of a hallway bathroom with a combined bath and shower and an aqua-painted ceiling.
Outdoor space: Tapered columns on brick pedestals support the deep wraparound front porch. Parking is in a detached one-car garage next to a driveway.
Taxes: $3,000 (estimated)
Contact: Katie Shoda or Christina Starmer, CenterBeam Real Estate, 904-885-1714; flexmls.com
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this house, known as the Wagstaff-Duddleston home after two early families that occupied it, was built by Abram Caleb Truax, one of Trentons original settlers and its first postmaster. In 2009, the house was in foreclosure and in poor condition when the current owner bought and restored it. He installed 2,000 square feet of red oak flooring, 5,000 linear feet of custom trim and a new oak staircase. He also rewired and replumbed, updated the windows, put on new exterior siding and a new roof and added two furnaces and two air-conditioning units.
Trenton is an industrial city 20 miles southwest of Detroit, with about 19,000 residents. This property is downtown, near shops, churches, schools and restaurants, less than a block from the Detroit River.
Size: 2,550 square feet
Price per square foot: $137
Indoors: Turning left from the front door takes you into a 19-by-15-foot living room with a river view that the owner covered in period wallpaper and trimmed in new moldings. This space connects to a 17-by-13-foot parlor used as a dining room; it has the same wall treatment, as well as a pressed-tin ceiling and a large fireplace.
A Dutch door leads to an upgraded kitchen, with oak cabinets with solid-surface countertops, ceramic floor tiles and stainless steel appliances. A wet bar is at one end of the kitchen, and a windowed breakfast nook at the other; in the center is an island with storage and a sink.
A master suite on the main floor includes a bathroom with an original free-standing tub. There is also a powder room paneled with knotty pine, and a new laundry room. A steep, narrow staircase rises from the kitchen to a back bedroom, presumably once used by servants.
The front staircase in the living room takes you to a wide second-story landing. To the right is a second master suite, which has wood floors and an angled ceiling and opens to a sitting room or nursery. The master bathroom includes storage-lined nooks with a tub and a commode, as well as a separate shower enclosure.
To the left of the landing is a pair of connected bedrooms. A second laundry room on this floor could be converted into an additional bathroom.
Outdoor space: Double glass doors in the breakfast nook open to a large, stamped-concrete patio. A door from the kitchen area leads to an attached one-and-a-half-car garage. The owner also built a detached three-car garage behind the house, which is reached from an alley and has a covered porch. The property includes two fenced areas, including a side yard that was used as a dog run. Dock space can be rented from the marina across the street.
Contact: Michelle Renee Klump, Keller Williams, 248-891-8667; kw.com
For weekly email updates on residential real estate news, sign up here. Follow us on Twitter: @nytrealestate.
- Kunal Kamra gets an epic reply from Shashi Tharoor when he tells Congress leader 'time to join BJP' - Pune Mirror - March 31st, 2020
- Rescued pangolins assigned human walkers to help them find their feet again - Independent Online - March 24th, 2020
- Global Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market Estimated to Expand at a Robust CAGR by 2028 - TheLoop21 - March 17th, 2020
- A river runs through it: Tracing the Dahisar's meandering and dwindling path - Firstpost - March 16th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market 2020 By Top Key Players/Manufacturers, Type and Application, Regions, Industry Analysis, Growth, Size, Trends and Forecast to... - March 13th, 2020
- I Went to CPAC, and All I Got Was Exposure to the Coronavirus - Mother Jones - March 12th, 2020
- Know the Warning Signs of a Termite Infestation Before It's Too Late - Business Wire - March 10th, 2020
- Miami Holds Top Spot on Orkin's Second Annual Termite Cities List - PRNewswire - March 9th, 2020
- The indomitable Myrtis Boothe - Frank, fearless and formidable - Jamaica Gleaner - March 3rd, 2020
- Mild winter weather can bring bugs into your home sooner - WWLP.com - February 19th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market 2020 Is Booming Across the Globe Explored in Latest Research with Top Key Players: Bifen I/T, Terro,... - February 15th, 2020
- Global Bakery Products Market Is Estimated To Expand At a Healthy CAGR in Upcoming year 2020-2026 - Jewish Life News - February 13th, 2020
- 50 States of Love - The New York Times - February 11th, 2020
- The Daily Orange wrong to capitalize 'Black' in style change - The Daily Orange - February 10th, 2020
- 3 Healthcare Stocks That Can Double This Year - Nasdaq - January 31st, 2020
- Paypal (PYPL) Tops Q4 Earnings and Revenue Estimates - Nasdaq - January 30th, 2020
- Rollins, Inc. Reports Fourth Quarter And Full-Year 2019 Financial Results - PRNewswire - January 29th, 2020
- Riding on Technological Developments and Growing Disposable Income the Global Optical Coating Equipment Market to Reach Us$ 6.4 Bn by 2027 - Melanian... - January 21st, 2020
- Global Termite Treatment Market Share Growing Rapidly with Recent Trends, Revenue and Forecast to 2026 - TheLoop21 - January 21st, 2020
- Crickets, beetles and moths. Eating them could help save the planet. But would you snack on them? - Bhekisisa - January 21st, 2020
- Global Switching Converters Market Manufacturers, Technology, Segmentation and Development Trends Forecasts to 2025 - Fusion Science Academy - January 18th, 2020
- Washington, DC Surpasses Baltimore to Secure Top Spot on Orkin's 2020 Bed Bug Cities List - PRNewswire - January 13th, 2020
- Public invited to fill out EMA survey on household chemicals - Loop News Trinidad and Tobago - January 9th, 2020
- Mimi Hardman Collections and Research Center campaign starts - yoursun.com - January 5th, 2020
- The genetic mechanism of selfishness and altruism in parent-offspring coadaptation - Science Advances - January 4th, 2020
- 11 of the Best Podcasts of the 2010s - Mental Floss - January 2nd, 2020
- Average Cost Of Termite Treatment - American Pest - December 23rd, 2019
- Top 4 Best Termite Sprays | Updated for 2019 - December 23rd, 2019
- Drywood Termites: Signs, Damage, Prevention & Treatment Cost ... - December 23rd, 2019
- PCT/BASF Announce 2019 Technicians of the Year - PCT - PCT Magazine - December 19th, 2019
- Ants rescue their injured - Stock Daily Dish - December 19th, 2019
- Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market Global Industry by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2019-2025 - Space Market... - December 17th, 2019
- Termite Control Market Outlook, Growth by Top Company, Region, Application, Driver, Trends and Forecasts By 2026| Verified Market Research - Montana... - December 16th, 2019
- Seed Treatment Fungicides Market Outlook, Growth by Top Company, Region, Application, Driver, Trends and Forecasts By 2026| Verified Market Research -... - December 15th, 2019
- Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market: Qualitative Analysis of the Leading Players and Competitive Industry Scenario, 2028 - Daily Research Stack - December 12th, 2019
- Termite Treatment Market 2019 poised to expand at a robust pace by 2024 - Markets Gazette 24 - December 12th, 2019
- Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market | Emerging Economies Expected to Influence Growth till 2024 | Key Players Talstar, Taurus SC, etc. -... - December 9th, 2019
- Termite Treatment - Chase Pest Control - December 8th, 2019
- Termites In The House Signs & Treatment | PestSeek - December 8th, 2019
- Termite Control in Atlanta GA | Termite Treatment & Inspection - December 8th, 2019
- Analysis on the World's Pest Control Services Market, 2019 to 2025 - Growth in the Construction Sector and Increase in Vector-Borne Diseases &... - November 23rd, 2019
- Princeton celebrates 25 years of research and teaching at Mpala, Kenya - Princeton University - November 20th, 2019
- Termite Treatment Cost Guide for 2019 | eLocal - October 20th, 2019
- 7 Best Termite Treatment in 2019 Reviewed - Pest Policy - October 20th, 2019
- The Best Drywood Termite Treatment Methods - October 20th, 2019
- How long does termite treatment last? How often is termite ... - October 2nd, 2019
- How to Kill Termites Naturally: 7 Simple Methods to Get Rid ... - October 2nd, 2019
- Learn the BEST Termite Control Products, Methods ... - April 21st, 2019
- Best Termite Treatment - March 2019: Find Termite Control ... - April 5th, 2019
- When is Termite Treatment Necessary in the North & East Bay? - April 5th, 2019
- Termite Treatment & Control Phoenix, Mesa Arizona | Free ... - April 1st, 2019
- Get Rid of Rodents With Pest Control Kennesaw - March 17th, 2019
- Termite Treatments California | 2 Year Warranty - March 16th, 2019
- Termites: Types, Facts & How to Identify Them - 15% Off ... - February 25th, 2019
- Types of Subterranean, Drywood Termite Treatments - February 24th, 2019
- Termite Treatment - North Jersey Termite - January 31st, 2019
- Effective Termite Treatment | EarthRite Findlay, OH - January 31st, 2019
- Types of Termite Treatment | Massey Services, Inc. - January 31st, 2019
- No-Tent Termite Treatments in Tampa, Clearwater, St. Pete ... - January 31st, 2019
- Termite Treatment - Phoenix, AZ | Blue Sky Pest Control - January 31st, 2019
- Termite Treatment Services in San Jose and Bay Area by Planet ... - January 31st, 2019
- Termite Frass - A Sign Of Termites Anyone Can Identify - October 16th, 2018
- Top 6 Best Termite Treatments | Updated for 2018 - September 29th, 2018
- Termite Treatments: Chemical & Baiting | Ehrlich Pest Control - September 25th, 2018
- Termite Treatment DIY Projects Craft Ideas & How Tos for ... - September 25th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Options | Western Exterminator - September 22nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment in Florida | Fahey Pest - August 2nd, 2018
- Termite Elimination - Budget Brothers Termite - July 8th, 2018
- Termite Treatment | Termite Inspection | Dawsons Australia - July 4th, 2018
- Subterranean Termite Treatment Guide - DoMyOwn.com - July 2nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment - Sentricon System | Steve's Pest Control - May 18th, 2018
- Cost of Termite Treatment - Phoenix Az - Bills Pest ... - May 18th, 2018
- 2018 Average Termite Treatment Cost (with Price Factors) - April 22nd, 2018
- DIY Termite Treatment That Is Actually Effective - March 22nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment - Bug House Pest Control - March 12th, 2018
- Termidor Termite Treatment Spray - domyown.com - March 12th, 2018
- Termite Control, Termite Treatment - March 9th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Cost and Inspection Cost Guide - March 7th, 2018
- Types of Termite Treatments - Orkin.com - March 5th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Cost - FightBugs.com - March 4th, 2018