Louisville, Ky. | $325,000A 1941 Cape Cod-style house with three bedrooms and two bathrooms, on a 0.21-acre lot
This home is in St. Matthews, a historic city that became an eastern suburb of Louisville and was absorbed into the metropolitan area in 2003. It is currently a shopping and dining destination with two large malls and multiple chain restaurants. Situated on a corner lot and partly enclosed by a white picket fence, the property is about six miles east of downtown Louisville and two and a half miles southeast of parks and boat ramps along the Ohio River. Its roof was recently updated.
Size: 2,096 square feet
Price per square foot: $155
Indoors: The front door, inset with a square of diamond-paned glass, opens to a narrow foyer with arched doorways on either side. To the right is a living room with the original wood floors, six-over-six sash windows and a gas fireplace surrounded by white tile. A door leads to a side porch that could be used as a craft room.
To the left is a dining room with chair-rail molding and a bay window. The eat-in kitchen off the dining room contains original cabinets with Formica countertops, new stainless steel appliances and laminate flooring. It opens to a family room in an addition of uncertain date with bead-board paneling, painted brick walls and extensive built-in shelves and cabinets.
A bedroom off the family room connects to a second room with a paneled wainscot that served as a nursery. Both rooms have use of a new hallway bathroom with a marble vanity top and a marble-tiled tub and shower.
Upstairs is a pair of rooms that could be used as a master and attached sitting room or nursery. These have an en suite bathroom with a bowl sink embedded in a cabinet and a combined tub and shower.
The house also has a 1,000-square-foot unfinished basement.
Outdoor space: A wood fence at least six feet high provides privacy at the back. The family room steps down to a large outdoor brick patio that is elevated a few feet above the lawn. Parking is in a detached one-car garage.
Taxes: $2,857 (2018, based on a tax assessment of $255,000)
Contact: Mac Barlow, Kentucky Select Properties, 502-938-3283; kyselectproperties.com
CenterBeam, a construction company that specializes in historic homes and has a sister real estate company that sells the renovated properties, bought and restored this 1922 stucco bungalow in 2019. It is in the Avondale neighborhood, within walking distance of several parks and restaurants. The St. Johns River, enjoyed by sailors, kayakers and fisherfolk, is six blocks away. Downtown Jacksonville is about four miles northeast. The property is not in a flood zone.
Size: 1,418 square feet
Price per square foot: $246
Indoors: During the renovation, which followed three years of vacancy, wood floors, some with a mahogany inlay, were refinished and the original wavy-glass single-pane windows were preserved. The white-brick living room fireplace and the cast-iron tub in the guest bathroom also remain.
Improvements include a new HVAC system, complete rewiring and new pipes and plumbing fixtures, 40 percent new drywall added to the existing plaster, fresh paint inside and out, and termite and beetle treatment. The kitchen and bathrooms are entirely new, as are the decorative light fixtures installed throughout. The roof is 10 years old.
The main entrance opens into the living room, where original cabinets with leaded-glass door fronts flank the fireplace. (The shiplap siding on that wall was recently added.) Original French doors open to a dining room with new crown molding. Beyond it is a kitchen with white-painted plywood lap-wall siding, tile floors, white cabinets with quartz countertops, a Kraus sink and other stainless steel fixtures and appliances. Hookups were installed for a washer and dryer.
The large master bedroom is off the dining room. It has three exposures, original moldings and an en suite bathroom with a glass walk-in shower and porcelain tile that resembles stone. The guest bedroom is across from the kitchen and has use of a hallway bathroom with a combined bath and shower and an aqua-painted ceiling.
Outdoor space: Tapered columns on brick pedestals support the deep wraparound front porch. Parking is in a detached one-car garage next to a driveway.
Taxes: $3,000 (estimated)
Contact: Katie Shoda or Christina Starmer, CenterBeam Real Estate, 904-885-1714; flexmls.com
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this house, known as the Wagstaff-Duddleston home after two early families that occupied it, was built by Abram Caleb Truax, one of Trentons original settlers and its first postmaster. In 2009, the house was in foreclosure and in poor condition when the current owner bought and restored it. He installed 2,000 square feet of red oak flooring, 5,000 linear feet of custom trim and a new oak staircase. He also rewired and replumbed, updated the windows, put on new exterior siding and a new roof and added two furnaces and two air-conditioning units.
Trenton is an industrial city 20 miles southwest of Detroit, with about 19,000 residents. This property is downtown, near shops, churches, schools and restaurants, less than a block from the Detroit River.
Size: 2,550 square feet
Price per square foot: $137
Indoors: Turning left from the front door takes you into a 19-by-15-foot living room with a river view that the owner covered in period wallpaper and trimmed in new moldings. This space connects to a 17-by-13-foot parlor used as a dining room; it has the same wall treatment, as well as a pressed-tin ceiling and a large fireplace.
A Dutch door leads to an upgraded kitchen, with oak cabinets with solid-surface countertops, ceramic floor tiles and stainless steel appliances. A wet bar is at one end of the kitchen, and a windowed breakfast nook at the other; in the center is an island with storage and a sink.
A master suite on the main floor includes a bathroom with an original free-standing tub. There is also a powder room paneled with knotty pine, and a new laundry room. A steep, narrow staircase rises from the kitchen to a back bedroom, presumably once used by servants.
The front staircase in the living room takes you to a wide second-story landing. To the right is a second master suite, which has wood floors and an angled ceiling and opens to a sitting room or nursery. The master bathroom includes storage-lined nooks with a tub and a commode, as well as a separate shower enclosure.
To the left of the landing is a pair of connected bedrooms. A second laundry room on this floor could be converted into an additional bathroom.
Outdoor space: Double glass doors in the breakfast nook open to a large, stamped-concrete patio. A door from the kitchen area leads to an attached one-and-a-half-car garage. The owner also built a detached three-car garage behind the house, which is reached from an alley and has a covered porch. The property includes two fenced areas, including a side yard that was used as a dog run. Dock space can be rented from the marina across the street.
Contact: Michelle Renee Klump, Keller Williams, 248-891-8667; kw.com
For weekly email updates on residential real estate news, sign up here. Follow us on Twitter: @nytrealestate.
- Analysis on the World's Pest Control Services Market, 2019 to 2025 - Growth in the Construction Sector and Increase in Vector-Borne Diseases &... - November 23rd, 2019
- Princeton celebrates 25 years of research and teaching at Mpala, Kenya - Princeton University - November 20th, 2019
- Termite Treatment Cost Guide for 2019 | eLocal - October 20th, 2019
- 7 Best Termite Treatment in 2019 Reviewed - Pest Policy - October 20th, 2019
- The Best Drywood Termite Treatment Methods - October 20th, 2019
- How long does termite treatment last? How often is termite ... - October 2nd, 2019
- How to Kill Termites Naturally: 7 Simple Methods to Get Rid ... - October 2nd, 2019
- Learn the BEST Termite Control Products, Methods ... - April 21st, 2019
- Best Termite Treatment - March 2019: Find Termite Control ... - April 5th, 2019
- When is Termite Treatment Necessary in the North & East Bay? - April 5th, 2019
- Termite Treatment & Control Phoenix, Mesa Arizona | Free ... - April 1st, 2019
- Get Rid of Rodents With Pest Control Kennesaw - March 17th, 2019
- Termite Treatments California | 2 Year Warranty - March 16th, 2019
- Termites: Types, Facts & How to Identify Them - 15% Off ... - February 25th, 2019
- Types of Subterranean, Drywood Termite Treatments - February 24th, 2019
- Termite Treatment - North Jersey Termite - January 31st, 2019
- Effective Termite Treatment | EarthRite Findlay, OH - January 31st, 2019
- Types of Termite Treatment | Massey Services, Inc. - January 31st, 2019
- No-Tent Termite Treatments in Tampa, Clearwater, St. Pete ... - January 31st, 2019
- Termite Treatment - Phoenix, AZ | Blue Sky Pest Control - January 31st, 2019
- Termite Treatment Services in San Jose and Bay Area by Planet ... - January 31st, 2019
- Termite Frass - A Sign Of Termites Anyone Can Identify - October 16th, 2018
- Top 6 Best Termite Treatments | Updated for 2018 - September 29th, 2018
- Termite Treatments: Chemical & Baiting | Ehrlich Pest Control - September 25th, 2018
- Termite Treatment DIY Projects Craft Ideas & How Tos for ... - September 25th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Options | Western Exterminator - September 22nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment in Florida | Fahey Pest - August 2nd, 2018
- Termite Elimination - Budget Brothers Termite - July 8th, 2018
- Termite Treatment | Termite Inspection | Dawsons Australia - July 4th, 2018
- Subterranean Termite Treatment Guide - DoMyOwn.com - July 2nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment - Sentricon System | Steve's Pest Control - May 18th, 2018
- Cost of Termite Treatment - Phoenix Az - Bills Pest ... - May 18th, 2018
- 2018 Average Termite Treatment Cost (with Price Factors) - April 22nd, 2018
- DIY Termite Treatment That Is Actually Effective - March 22nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment - Bug House Pest Control - March 12th, 2018
- Termidor Termite Treatment Spray - domyown.com - March 12th, 2018
- Termite Control, Termite Treatment - March 9th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Cost and Inspection Cost Guide - March 7th, 2018
- Types of Termite Treatments - Orkin.com - March 5th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Cost - FightBugs.com - March 4th, 2018
- The Average Cost of Termite Treatment | Action Termite & Pest ... - March 4th, 2018
- How Much Does a Termite Treatment & Inspection Cost? | Do My Own - March 1st, 2018
- No-Tent vs. Tent Termite Treatment | Command Pest Control - February 19th, 2018
- Prevent Termite Damage With Termite Control and Treatment Tips - February 17th, 2018
- Termite Control & Prevention Services | Massey Services, Inc. - January 23rd, 2018
- The Best Termite Companies in Los Angeles, CA (with Free ... - January 22nd, 2018
- The 10 Best Termite Companies in Miami , FL (with ... - Thumbtack - January 22nd, 2018
- Preventive Termite Treatment - Locate Effective Preventive ... - January 13th, 2018
- Termites in Nebraska - Omaha, Lincoln, Bellevue NE - January 5th, 2018
- Termidor Termite Treatment Brisbane - Pest Control and ... - January 2nd, 2018
- Termite Treatments Process | Raleigh, Cary, Wake Forest NC - December 15th, 2017
- Top Three Termite Treatment Methods - HomeTeam Pest Defense - December 15th, 2017
- Subterranean Termite Treatment Guide - How to Get Rid of ... - November 27th, 2017
- 2017 Termite Control Service Cost | Termite Treatment Cost - November 27th, 2017
- Termite treatment, exterminator, inspections,control,wdi's - November 21st, 2017
- Learn the Best Termite Control Products, Methods, Companies ... - November 13th, 2017
- 5 Best Termite Control, Inspection Services - Ashburn VA ... - November 12th, 2017
- Termite Treatment Methods - Orange Oil Termite Control - October 1st, 2017
- Bethesda Termite Exterminators - Capitol Pest - October 1st, 2017
- Termite Treatment - Slug-A-Bug Pest Control - September 26th, 2017
- Is tentless termite treatment better or worse then tenting ... - September 26th, 2017
- Termite Byte - The Local Termite Treatment Experts! - September 26th, 2017
- Arizona Pest Control | Tucson Termite Control Experts - September 26th, 2017
- Best 30 Termite in Secaucus, New Jersey with Reviews - YP.com - September 23rd, 2017
- Termite Traps, Bait and Control - Termitrust | Termitrust - September 6th, 2017
- The Average Cost of Termite Treatment | Termite Treatment And ... - September 5th, 2017
- Termite Treatment - The Big Green K - September 5th, 2017
- Letter: New construction - Charleston Post Courier - September 5th, 2017
- From cruise ship brewmaster to hurricane hunter, these are some of our unusual jobs - Miami Herald - September 3rd, 2017
- Face of Pest Control - My New Orleans - September 2nd, 2017
- Rochester NY Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - August 31st, 2017
- Council gives $20K to preserve landmarks - Sedona Red Rock News - August 31st, 2017
- Termite Treatments Dallas / Fort Worth - gotbugs.com - August 29th, 2017
- Orange oil termite treatment - Termite Web - August 29th, 2017
- Solving the ecological mystery of Africa's fairy circles - CU Boulder Today - August 25th, 2017
- Md. Couple's Termite Warranty Fails After Their Pest Control Company Is Bought Out - NBC4 Washington - August 25th, 2017
- Patrick Miller Prepares for New School Year at Webster - Malibu Times - August 19th, 2017
- Southwest projects continue to progress - Cassville Democrat - August 19th, 2017
- Leaf cutting ants, fig beetles, can be tough to get rid of - Arizona Daily Star - August 6th, 2017
- School board to meet briefly on Thursday - Davis Enterprise - August 1st, 2017