Which names are capable of hitting the ball out of the park? The pros will say healthcare stocks. Rookies and seasoned Street veterans alike argue the space contains exciting investment opportunities, with several boasting upside potential thats often unmatched by stocks in other sectors.
For companies that call this area of the market home, a few key milestones such as data readouts, regulatory filings or drug approvals can speak volumes about its future prospects. As a result, all it takes is a single positive outcome to send share prices through the roof. However, theres a reason these stocks have earned a Wall Street reputation as being risky plays. When a healthcare names shares plummet, more often than not, the driver can be traced back to one negative catalyst.
It makes sense, then, that the strength of these volatile investment opportunities can be difficult to gauge. So, whats an investor to do? We suggest heading to TipRanks.
Using TipRanks' Stock Screener tool, we were able to narrow our search results and find 3 compelling healthcare stocks. Each of these Buy-rated tickers has been flagged by the analysts as having the potential to double over the next year thanks to new drug applications (NDAs). When a company files an NDA, it is the formal last step that involves applying to the FDA to get the approval required to market a new drug in the U.S. Let's take a closer look.
Aquestive Therapeutics (AQST)
Initially focused on developing treatments for central nervous system (CNS) conditions, Aquestive Therapeutics wants to drastically improve patients quality of life. While shares have taken a 30% hit year-to-date, some members of the Street believe its innovative drug delivery technology makes it a stand-out.
On top of this, its recent NDA submission for one of its lead candidates could be a major catalyst for shares. Back in December, the company announced that the final piece of the rolling NDA for Libervant (AQST-203), its buccal (inside of the cheek) soluble film formulation of diazepam for acute refractory/repetitive seizures (ARRS), had been completed.
JMP Securities analyst Jason Butler tells investors that this filing is a significant component of his bullish thesis. We view this as a positive sign of managements execution and look forward to a likely 2020 launch of Libervant, he commented.
Based on favorable data from the single crossover trial of Libervant as well as the fact that no patients failed on the therapy, Butler sees greatness in store. With this in mind, the five-star analyst attached a $23 price target to his Outperform rating. (To watch Butlers track record, click here)
Like Butler, Wedbushs Liana Moussatos also takes a bullish approach when it comes to AQST. She predicts the FDA will accept the NDA for review sometime between Q4 2019 and Q1 2020. With the already reported clinical data making approval very likely in her view, the analyst estimates that annual sales could reach $204 million in 2024 after its potential October 2020 U.S. launch.
This prompted Moussatos to reiterate an Outperform rating. If that wasnt enough, her $37 price target suggests massive upside potential. Were talking 811% here. (To watch Moussatos track record, click here)
All in all, the rest of the Street is on the same page. With 5 Buy ratings assigned in the last three months versus no Holds or Sells, the message is clear: AQST is a Strong Buy. At $18, the average price target puts the upside potential at 350%. (See Aquestive stock analysis on TipRanks)
KemPharm, Inc. (KMPH)
KemPharms claim to fame is its LAT technology, which it uses to develop proprietary prodrugs. Ahead of its KP415 NDA filing, originally slated for January 2020, investor attention has shifted towards KMPH.
Along with its commercial partner, Gurnet Point Capital, the company engineered the candidate as a treatment for ADHD, an attention deficit disorder. H.C. Wainwright analyst Oren Livnat stated, We continue to think the Street underappreciates that KemPharm may have the ideal ADHD partner in GPC, which is led almost entirely by the former Shire U.S. commercial leadership, is deep-pocketed, and, with KP415 as its first commercial product, is highly incentivized to fully resource the launch to establish a successful CNS platform.
While the drugs pivotal efficacy study produced somewhat disappointing top-line results, Livnat is cautiously optimistic. He argues that the FDA will support the expected 0.5-13 hour profile implied by the data. FDA understands methylphenidate (MPH) PK/PD well, and if KP415 data are analyzed similar to other approved ADHD drugs, its best-in-class 0.5-13 hour profile is confirmed, in our view, he explained.
Livnat does, however, remind investors that he doesnt expect to see any abuse-deterrent claims on the drugs label. That being said, he points out that Vyvanse, the ADHD market leader, also doesnt have any of these claims. This gives approval in January 2021 and launch in the first half of 2021 a strong likelihood, according to the analyst.
As Livnat projects KP415 peak end-sales of $340 million and more than $60 million in peak royalty revenue, it is no surprise, then, that the four-star analyst maintained a Buy rating. Despite cutting the price target by 50 cents, the $2.50 forecast still leaves room for a potential twelve-month gain of 558%. (To watch Livnats track record, click here)
Looking at the consensus breakdown, 2 Buys and 1 Hold published over the previous three months add up to a Moderate Buy analyst consensus. Not to mention the $3.80 average price target suggests 901% upside potential. (See KemPharm price targets and analyst ratings on TipRanks)
Fennec Pharmaceuticals (FENC)
This biotech develops a unique formulation of sodium thiosulfate (STS), PEDMARK, as a way to potentially prevent cisplatin-induced hearing loss in pediatric patients. With Fennec finalizing its rolling NDA for PEDMARK, one analyst thinks 2020 could be a big year.
The companys management stated during its third quarter earnings release that the application should be completed in Q1 2020. David Nierengarten of Wedbush wrote in a recent note that the biotech brought on Shubh Goel as chief commercial officer in order to get ready for a possible PEDMARK launch in the second half of 2020. Ms. Goel has extensive experience in marketing and commercial operations/strategy of oncology drugs with positions held at companies including Takeda Oncology, ARIAD Pharmaceuticals, Bayer, AVEO Oncology, Celgene and Odonate Therapeutics, he noted.
Nierengarten added, If approved we believe STS could be widely adopted in pediatric patients with localized cancers that are recommended cisplatin treatment, particularly in the under-five age group where hearing loss risk is highest. We view the economics in this setting as attractive, especially considering the high cost and limited benefit associated with cochlear implants and hearing aids, the only available treatment options for these patients.
While Nierengarten acknowledged that third quarter 2019 research and development expenses decreased to $0.8 million, from $1.8 million in the prior-year quarter, the five-star analyst cites the completion of a number of activities needed for PEDMARK regulatory approval as being the reason for this.
In line with his bullish take on the healthcare name, Nierengarten left his Outperform rating and $16 price target unchanged. Should the target be met, shares could be in for a 156% twelve-month gain. (To watch Nierengartens track record, click here)
As for the rest of the Street, it has been relatively quiet in terms of other analyst activity. One other analyst has issued a bullish call, making the consensus rating a Moderate Buy. In addition, the $16.50 average price target implies shares could soar 164% over the next twelve months. (See Fennec stock analysis on TipRanks)
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.
- These are the kinds of bugs you may see around San Antonio this summer - San Antonio Express-News - May 28th, 2020
- DOST-FPRDI studies the use of heat to treat wood and bamboo - Philippine Canadian Inquirer - May 28th, 2020
- Twitter wants to target conservatives -- with none of a publisher's responsibilities - New York Post - May 28th, 2020
- DoST studies use of heat to treat wood The Manila Times - The Manila Times - May 28th, 2020
- Long Island Prepares to Reopen: Going Back to Work (and Staying Home!) with Peace of Mind - LongIsland.com - May 26th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market | Growth, Trends, Size, Share, Demand And Top Growing Companies 2026 - Cole... - May 23rd, 2020
- Nothing to celebrate - The Indian Express - May 23rd, 2020
- 6 Pests on the Rise During Summertime - Newswire - May 23rd, 2020
- Global Ship Reduction Gearboxes Market 2020 by Type, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Jewish Life News - May 23rd, 2020
- SMITH: COVID-19 has brought an end to the handshake - Charleston Post Courier - May 20th, 2020
- Textile Yarn Market 2020 Global Overview, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Leading Company Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 20th, 2020
- Seed Coating Materials Market 2020 Global Overview, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Leading Company Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 20th, 2020
- UF/IFAS appoints interim director of Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center - hortidaily.com - May 18th, 2020
- 18 Easy Natural Home Remedies to Get Rid of Termites Quickly - May 17th, 2020
- 'They need help': The sad lives of city's 45000 hoarders - Fraser Coast Chronicle - May 11th, 2020
- 'Tis the season for flying insects that can destroy your house. So are you doing all you can to prevent the dr - WSB Radio - May 10th, 2020
- Rambo Total Pest Control SAVE 25% on local, honest, effective protection for a pest free home | The - The White Center Blog - May 10th, 2020
- Formosan termite swarming in New Orleans could continue through June, researcher says - NOLA.com - May 9th, 2020
- Female Sloth Bear Dies at Smithsonian's National Zoo - Smithsonian's National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute - May 9th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market Size by Top Key Players, Growth Opportunities, Incremental Revenue , Outlook and Forecasts to 2026 - Latest Herald - May 5th, 2020
- Rambo Total Pest Control SAVE 25% on local, honest, effective protection for a pest free home - The B-Town (Burien) Blog - The B-Town Blog - May 5th, 2020
- A service trip to Peru offers lessons for treating Covid-19 in the US - STAT - May 2nd, 2020
- The return to normalcy must not be a return of the old ways Howard Lee Chuan How - Malay Mail - May 2nd, 2020
- Termite Control Market Growth Opportunities, Challenges, Key Companies, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 1st, 2020
- Startup's Tech Converts 59 Million Litres of Sewage into Reusable Water - The Better India - May 1st, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market Overview With Detailed Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast to 2026|DoMyOwn, Specialist Termite Control, Rentokil -... - April 30th, 2020
- Pests in Your House: How Harmful Are They to Your Health? - Nature World News - April 30th, 2020
- US is Indias enemy when it calls out treatment of minorities, friend when Trump hugs Modi - ThePrint - April 30th, 2020
- COVID-19: Efforts Of Lagos State Government & Two Anambra Urban PGs Have Gladdened Our Heart - The Nigerian Voice - April 25th, 2020
- Insects extreme farming methods offer us lessons to learn and oddities to avoid - Science News - April 24th, 2020
- Wash away winter with these warm-weather home tasks - The Seattle Times - April 22nd, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market Analysis by Size, Share, Top Key Manufacturers, Demand Overview, Regional Outlook And Growth Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - April 22nd, 2020
- This must-read new thriller foresaw the coronavirus and Trumps response to it - Haaretz - April 22nd, 2020
- Green buildings: 18 examples of sustainable architecture around the world - CNN - April 22nd, 2020
- Covid-19: How fake news and Modi government messaging fuelled Indias latest spiral of Islamophobia - Scroll.in - April 21st, 2020
- Markhamia lutea, a versatile tree good for timber and medicine - nation.co.ke - April 18th, 2020
- 5 Reasons You Will Love Ultherapy Cosmetic Dermatology - News Lagoon - April 16th, 2020
- 8 reasons why buying used office furniture will cost you more in the long run. - News Lagoon - April 16th, 2020
- The 12 Best Hotel Room Views in the World - News Lagoon - April 16th, 2020
- Noithatkenli Explains Why it is Ideal to Choose Italian Furniture for Homes - Yahoo Finance - April 16th, 2020
- The underwater forest that may help the future of medicine - Yahoo News Canada - April 16th, 2020
- Conversations: Heather and Trevor Smith, 50 years with The Leprosy Mission in Thailand - Sight Magazine - April 16th, 2020
- Saved My Life, No Question: Boris Johnson, Out Of The Hospital, Goes Churchillian on the National Health Service - News Lagoon - April 16th, 2020
- It turns out that ants use their memories to escape from the traps - Somag News - April 11th, 2020
- Podcast: Will coronavirus change the pangolins' fate? - chinadialogue - April 9th, 2020
- Banner year for carpenter bees and other springtime pests - WBIR.com - April 9th, 2020
- A Wine-drinking Ex-Muslim's Defence Of The Tablighi Jamaat - Outlook India - April 9th, 2020
- LEE CAMP: Four Reasons the Ruling Elite Love This Crisis - Consortium News - April 9th, 2020
- Global Termite Bait System Products Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) by Termite, Type, Station, Application, Distribution Channel,... - April 3rd, 2020
- Kunal Kamra gets an epic reply from Shashi Tharoor when he tells Congress leader 'time to join BJP' - Pune Mirror - March 31st, 2020
- Rescued pangolins assigned human walkers to help them find their feet again - Independent Online - March 24th, 2020
- Global Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market Estimated to Expand at a Robust CAGR by 2028 - TheLoop21 - March 17th, 2020
- A river runs through it: Tracing the Dahisar's meandering and dwindling path - Firstpost - March 16th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Market 2020 By Top Key Players/Manufacturers, Type and Application, Regions, Industry Analysis, Growth, Size, Trends and Forecast to... - March 13th, 2020
- I Went to CPAC, and All I Got Was Exposure to the Coronavirus - Mother Jones - March 12th, 2020
- Know the Warning Signs of a Termite Infestation Before It's Too Late - Business Wire - March 10th, 2020
- Miami Holds Top Spot on Orkin's Second Annual Termite Cities List - PRNewswire - March 9th, 2020
- The indomitable Myrtis Boothe - Frank, fearless and formidable - Jamaica Gleaner - March 3rd, 2020
- Mild winter weather can bring bugs into your home sooner - WWLP.com - February 19th, 2020
- Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market 2020 Is Booming Across the Globe Explored in Latest Research with Top Key Players: Bifen I/T, Terro,... - February 15th, 2020
- Global Bakery Products Market Is Estimated To Expand At a Healthy CAGR in Upcoming year 2020-2026 - Jewish Life News - February 13th, 2020
- 50 States of Love - The New York Times - February 11th, 2020
- The Daily Orange wrong to capitalize 'Black' in style change - The Daily Orange - February 10th, 2020
- Paypal (PYPL) Tops Q4 Earnings and Revenue Estimates - Nasdaq - January 30th, 2020
- Rollins, Inc. Reports Fourth Quarter And Full-Year 2019 Financial Results - PRNewswire - January 29th, 2020
- Riding on Technological Developments and Growing Disposable Income the Global Optical Coating Equipment Market to Reach Us$ 6.4 Bn by 2027 - Melanian... - January 21st, 2020
- Global Termite Treatment Market Share Growing Rapidly with Recent Trends, Revenue and Forecast to 2026 - TheLoop21 - January 21st, 2020
- Crickets, beetles and moths. Eating them could help save the planet. But would you snack on them? - Bhekisisa - January 21st, 2020
- Global Switching Converters Market Manufacturers, Technology, Segmentation and Development Trends Forecasts to 2025 - Fusion Science Academy - January 18th, 2020
- Washington, DC Surpasses Baltimore to Secure Top Spot on Orkin's 2020 Bed Bug Cities List - PRNewswire - January 13th, 2020
- Public invited to fill out EMA survey on household chemicals - Loop News Trinidad and Tobago - January 9th, 2020
- Mimi Hardman Collections and Research Center campaign starts - yoursun.com - January 5th, 2020
- The genetic mechanism of selfishness and altruism in parent-offspring coadaptation - Science Advances - January 4th, 2020
- 11 of the Best Podcasts of the 2010s - Mental Floss - January 2nd, 2020
- Average Cost Of Termite Treatment - American Pest - December 23rd, 2019
- Top 4 Best Termite Sprays | Updated for 2019 - December 23rd, 2019
- Drywood Termites: Signs, Damage, Prevention & Treatment Cost ... - December 23rd, 2019
- PCT/BASF Announce 2019 Technicians of the Year - PCT - PCT Magazine - December 19th, 2019
- Ants rescue their injured - Stock Daily Dish - December 19th, 2019
- Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market Global Industry by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2019-2025 - Space Market... - December 17th, 2019