Best Termite Treatments
The best termite treatments deal with infestations at the place of origin. Unlike termite sprays, full termite treatments involve treating the insides of walls, underneath a homes foundation, the soil around the perimeter of the home and more. Treatments for significant infestations will completely exterminate your home of termites, and keep them from returning. The following are the six best termite treatments for your home
Termites love old wood. If your home is too new to have rotting wood, termites can still find their way in; however, a spot treatment will be sufficient. Spot treatments are localized to an area of infestation. They are cheaper and quicker than full treatments and can be easily administered without a professionals help.
However, the bulk of termite infestations require a more comprehensive solution. This article explores the differences and benefits to the six best long-term, full termite treatment options available. But first, lets run through the basics
Termites have basically evolved from cockroaches. There are over 3,000 known species of termites with more discovered every year. A termite colony consists of two hierarchies: fertile and infertile. Infertile males and females are known as workers. Fertile males are called Kings and every colony has at least one, but possibly two fertile females called queens.
As with ants or bees, the colony can only be destroyed by killing the queen. Though hated by homeowners, termites are essential for the ecosystem. They perform the decomposition and composting of dead and rotting vegetation. Without termites, the forests would be ripe with smelly rotup to your knees.
Termites process natural waste and produce soluble nutrient for the land. That being said, termites will eat your home up one side and down the other if they find it. Termites reproduce compulsively and continuously. The colony is constantly growing in numbers. In a span of three to four decades, termite colonies can grow to be over a million strong.
This is a serious concern for buildings that are in the remote country, wooded areas, woodlands, state preserves, and national parks. Worse still, it doesnt take a million termites to destroy a home. All it takes is a young colony of a few hundred termites to start chipping away at the integrity of your homes supporting beams and floorboards.
If you are worried about a possible infestation, use this checklist to assess the problem. There are several ways to check if you have termites. Check your homes
If your floor is laminate or hardwood skirting boards, look for blistering and sagging. Walk around your house and take note of every location where the floor feels spongy or has unusual spring. These are signs of termites under the floor.
Termites love to eat the wooden timber uprights and supporting beams inside your walls. Termites love cellulose, which is found in wood so any lumber on the interior of your house is susceptible. If termites get into the walls, they can easily get into the ceiling. Look for cracks that run in the direction of the wall and ceilings inner beams.
Termites cannot eat through your concrete foundation; however, they can squeeze between the smallest of cracks. If you live somewhere that gets a hot summer and cold winter, temperature changes will cause foundation slabs to form cracks over timejust like a driveway. Once termites are through the concrete foundation, they feast on the homes wooden floor joists. If your floors feel spongy, it is an indicator of termites in the floor joists, which means they made it through the foundation.
Termites can find their way to the frames of windows and doors, which causes irregularities in the frame. Doors become unexpectedly difficult to open or shut correctly when termites are feasting on the frames. With a hammer, pry off a segment of the affected frame to check for tunneling on the backside.
The best early warning signs of an oncoming termite infestation, are in the garden or backyard. Termites will make themselves apparent outdoors, before migrating into the home. Your homes property is prime for a termite infestation if your gardens fence posts are losing structural integrity from rot, becoming misshapen, or if tree branches are falling unexpectedly. Termites will target any untreated timber, such as natural wooden posts and trees before they become apparent in the home.
Termites like to get into a home through the roof. Termites are suckers for moist timber and loose roof tiles will drip rainwater onto the wooden roof beams below. Older homes are especially susceptible to this problem. Make sure that your roof does not have any waterlogged tiles or loose attachments.
If you unexpectedly find small, dark brown, seed-sized pellets on the floors and windowsills of your home, you have termites. This is the excrement of a termite and a clear sign of infestation. Termites also have wings for part of their lives and will shed their wings halfway through their life. Termite wings the size of a quarter and are opaque and tan.
Subterranean Termites build mud tubes, which are made of dirt and their own excrement. They are not hazardous to healthunlike bat droppingsbut anywhere there are mud tubes, there are termites as well. Check your homes exterior walls for squiggly brown tubes that meander across the outer face. The first place termites will go is where there is a free meal. Begin with areas where you store firewood, lumber or any other natural wood substance that is placed up against the exterior walls of your house.
At the end of the day, you will need a professionals opinion in order to truly assess any damage. If you are worried about termites, but you dont see any clear indicatorsthat doesnt mean youre in the clearyou still need a professional assessment. Termites hide beneath the surface.
If you know that you have termites in your home, it is crucial to understand the extent to which the infestation has grown. For newer homes, a professional can tell you with any certainty where the localized infestation is and how you can treat it. If the problem is more extensive, a pest control specialist will offer consultation on the best termite treatments available for your home.
If your home is at the building stage, we highly recommend having all timbers pretreated with Borate, as well as performing a soil treatment. This will give your home conclusive protection against the possibility of future termite colonies moving in. For existing termite infestations in older homes, the best termite treatment is a full fumigation. Newer homes will be sufficiently served by a liquid and spot treatment.
Homes that are remotely located or among dense foliage will need a preventative soil treatment around the foundation of the structure. Talk to a professional termite or pest control specialist to ask about the best termite treatments for your home. We hope you enjoyed reading about the six best termite treatments for your home. If you have questions or have used one of the treatments mentioned above, feel free to leave us a comment. Thanks for reading!
Read more from the original source:
Top 6 Best Termite Treatments | Updated for 2019
- HAPPY HANDYMAN: Simple projects that are money savers - Houston Chronicle - November 23rd, 2020
- From Gombe to the Union's Hawking Fellowship: A look at Jane Goodall's remarkable career - Varsity Online - November 3rd, 2020
- Palace invasion: When the gods go on protest - Guardian - October 30th, 2020
- Sixt generates positive earnings in the third quarter; in view of the currently drastically worsening effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, no forecast... - October 22nd, 2020
- A New York Times op-ed tried to elevate Black women, but it failed to address Louis Farrakhan's bigotry - JTA News - Jewish Telegraphic Agency - October 22nd, 2020
- Here's a list of September inflation rates for Canadian provinces - Yahoo Canada Finance - October 22nd, 2020
- Letters to the editor, Oct. 14, 2020 | Letters To Editor - The Daily Courier - October 16th, 2020
- 2021 Audi E-Tron GT to get RS hero and jet sounds - CarAdvice - October 13th, 2020
- A Day in the Life of the Grand Strands Snake Chasers - grandstrandmag.com - October 8th, 2020
- Teche Sketches: 'Mostly it is loss which teaches us about the worth of things' - The Daily Iberian - October 6th, 2020
- Rajnath Singhs China performance shows why Modi and Amit Shah need him - ThePrint - September 26th, 2020
- The saga of Decriminalization of Electoral Politics in India and the way forward - 244th Law Commission Report - India Legal - September 21st, 2020
- Handloom Day announcements look like a mix of the good and the bad, but are mostly foggy - The Indian Express - August 22nd, 2020
- The CarAdvice team name their favourite car they've ever driven ... and more - CarAdvice - August 22nd, 2020
- Termite Control Products and Services Market Competition Landscape by Key Players, Growth Strategy, Business Opportunities, Trends and Forecast Study... - August 20th, 2020
- Termite Monitoring Service Market Projected to Witness Vigorous Expansion by 2020-2026 | , DoMyOwn, Specialist Termite Control - Bulletin Line - August 17th, 2020
- A Spokesperson Died After A TV Debate. Will We Do Nothing? - NDTV - August 14th, 2020
- Column: Avoiding self-care can be just as damaging to loved ones - Alton Telegraph - August 6th, 2020
- The Bible doesn't allow divorce on grounds of mutual love that has died - Brunswick News - August 6th, 2020
- Restrictions on religious shops, mrityubhoj and expensive weddings - Avenue Mail - July 6th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor | Local Editorials and Opinion | tucson.com - Arizona Daily Star - July 5th, 2020
- From Hormonal Balance To Preventing UTI, The Many Ways Khus Roots Can Benefit You - NDTV Doctor - June 24th, 2020
- Repairing Termite Damage: Can Termite Damage Be Fixed? - June 21st, 2020
- Conservative Jews: Do you care about Israel? Then vote Trump out - Forward - June 21st, 2020
- Millions of Indians suffered because of administrative failures on a criminal scale - The Indian Express - June 15th, 2020
- Donald Trump is having a bad week. He must find an Amit Shah of his own - ThePrint - June 4th, 2020
- Nokia 5.1 Plus now receiving Android 10 in the latest update - News Lagoon - May 29th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Recent Trends and Developments, Challenges and Opportunities, key drivers and Restraints over the Forecast Period 2020-2026|... - May 23rd, 2020
- Termite infestations in your home: How to find, treat and ... - May 16th, 2020
- When termites swarm, don't hide; track them down ... - April 30th, 2020
- Seth Green bio: age, height, net worth, wife, movies and TV shows - Latest News in Nigeria & Breaking Naija News 24/7 | LEGIT.NG - April 30th, 2020
- Baiting Vs Liquid for Termites, Which one is better ... - April 27th, 2020
- The Rich Are Fleeing the Plagued City, Again - TheStranger.com - April 18th, 2020
- The worst holiday destinations, according to Telegraph readers - Telegraph.co.uk - April 18th, 2020
- News, Finance and Lifestyle - Yahoo Singapore News - April 12th, 2020
- Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Drug Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2026 & Top Key Players are Roche, Boehringer Ingelheim,... - April 9th, 2020
- Letter: Editorial cartoon was not a collectable one - The Westerly Sun - April 9th, 2020
- 15 ways to practice social distance in Jersey and still have fun - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - March 20th, 2020
- Get 2nd opinion on termite inspection - SFGate - March 19th, 2020
- Stevens: Is there room for extremists on social media? - Oregon Daily Emerald - March 12th, 2020
- Anacapa View residents forced to pay for years of neglect - Tri County Sentry - March 10th, 2020
- Leaky boot among host of car troubles - SowetanLIVE - March 3rd, 2020
- Bangladesh is doing well - The Navhind Times - February 23rd, 2020
- Wikipedia Is the Last Best Place on the Internet - WIRED - February 22nd, 2020
- Commentary: 'Parasite' became an Oscars success story overnight because of years of Asian American support - The San Diego Union-Tribune - February 15th, 2020
- Your letters to the editor: Shame on Evers for ditching Pence - Madison.com - February 1st, 2020
- Letters: The democratic freedom to decide Britains policies is the fundamental point of Brexit - Telegraph.co.uk - January 31st, 2020
- Modi-Shahs Delhi dislike found its new target just in time for election Shaheen Bagh - ThePrint - January 29th, 2020
- The thin line of healing - The Hindu - January 27th, 2020
- Why there is a need for Home Improvement? - RecentlyHeard.com - January 24th, 2020
- On the job in Illinois - The Baxter Bulletin - January 20th, 2020
- The case for ... making low-tech 'dumb' cities instead of 'smart' ones - The Guardian - January 15th, 2020
- Modi-Shahs BJP govt has failed Indias youth and is now stuck fighting them - ThePrint - January 13th, 2020
- The Modi-Shah BJP government has failed and is now fighting India's youth - Daily Gaming Worlld - January 12th, 2020
- 7 Mistakes To Avoid While Renovating Your Living Room - RecentlyHeard.com - January 4th, 2020
- Rollins, Inc. - ROL - Stock Price Today - Zacks - January 2nd, 2020
- What went right in the past decade around the world - The Times - January 2nd, 2020
- Burt Prelutsky: Beware the Unelected! - Patriot Post - December 16th, 2019
- A threat to the idea of South Asia - Dhaka Tribune - December 16th, 2019
- So that nobody can be somebody - Telegraph India - December 15th, 2019
- Mistrust and confusion - The Hindu - December 15th, 2019
- Defend against Chronic Wasting Disease this fall | Sports - Richmond Register - December 1st, 2019
- How the BHU students were demonised and the ones who refused to be secularised unfairly called bigots - OpIndia - November 20th, 2019
- Wood Destroying Insect Inspection Reports | Arizona ... - October 30th, 2019
- Cheap DIY Termite Treatment, save - forums.whirlpool.net.au - October 7th, 2019
- Primitive Technology: Termite clay kiln & pottery - YouTube - October 5th, 2019
- Gorongosa National Park - Wikipedia - October 4th, 2019
- Housewraps, Felt Paper and Weather Penetration Barriers ... - October 4th, 2019
- Second Opinion Termite & Pest Control - Yelp - September 13th, 2019
- Pacific Termite - 46 Photos & 78 Reviews - Pest Control ... - May 17th, 2019
- Opinions On Termite Stakes For DIY Pest Control - Pest ... - May 4th, 2019
- Nix Termite - 63 Photos & 214 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 25th, 2019
- Termite Biz - 21 Photos & 132 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 12th, 2019
- What Termites Can Teach Us About Cooling Our Buildings ... - March 30th, 2019
- Termite Ceiling Damage Signs and Symptoms | Terminix - March 16th, 2019
- Go Pest Bendigo - Termite inspections & treatments - March 12th, 2019
- Borax, Fleas and Misconceptions | Thrasher Termite & Pest ... - February 12th, 2019
- Termite Control South Africa - pestcontrolpros.co.za - February 2nd, 2019
- Termite Dream Meaning and Interpretations | Dream Stop - January 26th, 2019
- Termite Chemical Information - Termite Specialist - January 24th, 2019