Termites are a wood destroying insect that can cause a lot of damage to homes and basically anything made with wood. Termites are important in nature because they help recycle dead trees along with anything made with cellulose. But when they invade our homes and eat away at our house, a good termite control program must be instituted.
At this time there are many options for doing a termite treatment inside and around the home. And though termite treatments used to be something that one would hire a service company to perform, the products being used are a lot easier to handle and apply. So if youre a do-it-yourselfer and want to save a lot of money by doing your own termite treatment, we can help.
First youll need to decide what type of product to use. In general, termiticides fall into one of two groups. Repellent and non-repellent.
Repellent products tend to last longer. They will kill insects that travel through the treatment but in most cases, they repel insects.
Non-repellents are not detectable by insects. The goal of a non-repellent is to get enough of the active colony exposed to the chemical which in turn can kill the nest. This approach is effective for insects which live in communities like ants, termites and bedbugs.
And then there are bait stations and local treatments for infested wood.
But whats the best treatment? And which chemicals are the best to use? The answer depends on which company you ask. In our opinion, they all can work when used properly. At least thats what our hands on experience shows. And the goal of this article is to share some of that information and experience so you too can decide what will work best for your property.
If you want to treat around a structure before you have any sign of termites, use CYPERMETHRIN. Termites will readily detect it and stay away from where its been applied. Mix 1 gallon of concentrate with 50 gallons of water (2.5 oz per gallon of water) and apply this mixture to a small trench youll need to dig around the homes foundation.
The label allows for a variable rate of coverage but in general, 1 gallon of concentrate mixed at this rate can protect any home which has up to 250 linear feet of foundation to treat if you apply 2 gallons for every 10 feet of trench.
Treatments will last 5-10 years and can be renewed if termites are found active or if the soil is disrupted.
The newer products for termite treatments include actives which are very differently. Instead of having to apply 50+ gallons to get a good barrier in place, these newer compounds rely on a stealthy approach. This means you can achieve success with very little chemical because the treatment is essentially non-detectable by foraging termites.
These actives are the better choice to use if you have active termites because they will assuredly walk through it. This insures theyll be exposed and share the treatment with the rest of the colony. Conversely, the use of a repellent like Cypermethrin may only chase them elsewhere and get rid of them for good. So if you have an active infestation, use a non repellent to insure the problem is handled.
The original non repellent is DOMINION 2L and is still a great option for active termites. Mix 1 jug per 50 gallons of water (.5 oz per gallon of water) and apply 5 gallons to every 12.5 linear feet. At this rate 1 jug will make 50 gallons of finished product and will be able to treat 125 linear feet. Treatments will last 3-5 years making Dominion a cost effective option for any structure.
Another popular non repellent being used by many professionals is TERMIDOR. Its easy to mix and like the other options, treatments will last 3-5 years. Use 20 oz per 25 gallons of water (4 oz per 5 gallon pail of water) and apply 5 gallons to every 12.5 linear feet. That means 1 jug can cover up to 62.5 linear feet. The average home will require 2-3 jugs and treatments should last 3-5 years. Termidor is no doubt more costly to apply compared to Dominion so depending on how much you need to apply, this could be a factor.
Another option commonly used by many professionals today are TERMITE BAIT STATIONS. These offer a very different mode of control in that theyre not a spray but instead a feeding station where termites will go to eat. These stations can be placed anywhere in the yard around the home and can be used as a way to monitor termite activity on your property. Treating around the home with a repellent or non repellent is still suggested and should be done. But knowing there are termites in the yard is helpful and for this reason, using Termite Bait stations in some areas is a good tool for detecting early activity.
Once in place, youll want to inspect these stations every 2-3 months during the warm season to see if there is any activity. And once active termites are found, youll want to bait the station with an active BAIT CARTRIDGE. This cartridge contains a slow working active (another non repellent) that will then infiltrate the colony and eventually kill it.
For termites discovered in floor joists, sill plate, fences or some other area above ground, spray all galleries with PHANTOM AEROSOL. This low odor active in yet another non repellent so dont expect the termites to die immediately. They will take a few days to die but again, this is by design. Allowing them to forage back to their nest and share the chemical with other members of their colony helps insure the whole nest will die.
Termites are a major pest here in the United States and are important to the natural balance and recycling of cellulose products in our environment. But once in the home they will cause costly damage. Considered a latent pest, its important to treat around any structure suspected of termite activity to insure there isnt an ongoing problem or lingering infestation.
Need help calculating how much chemical you need to treat your home? Give us a call or send us an email anytime and well try to assist.
Give us a call if you need further help. Our toll free is 1-800-877-7290 and were open Monday through Thursday, 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM. On Friday, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM and on Saturday, 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM (Eastern Standard Time).
Email questions here: https://bugspray.com/about-us/contact-us
Order online and get a 5% discount!We ship fast with 99.9% of all orders shipping within 1 business day!!Learn more about BUGSPRAY.COM and why its never been easier or safer to do your own pest control.
See the original post here:
Termite treatments for inside and around the home
- Second Opinion Termite & Pest Control - Yelp - September 13th, 2019
- Pacific Termite - 46 Photos & 78 Reviews - Pest Control ... - May 17th, 2019
- Opinions On Termite Stakes For DIY Pest Control - Pest ... - May 4th, 2019
- Nix Termite - 63 Photos & 214 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 25th, 2019
- Termite Biz - 21 Photos & 132 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 12th, 2019
- What Termites Can Teach Us About Cooling Our Buildings ... - March 30th, 2019
- Termite Ceiling Damage Signs and Symptoms | Terminix - March 16th, 2019
- Go Pest Bendigo - Termite inspections & treatments - March 12th, 2019
- Top 6 Best Termite Treatments | Updated for 2019 - March 9th, 2019
- Borax, Fleas and Misconceptions | Thrasher Termite & Pest ... - February 12th, 2019
- Termite Control South Africa - pestcontrolpros.co.za - February 2nd, 2019
- Termite Dream Meaning and Interpretations | Dream Stop - January 26th, 2019
- Termite Chemical Information - Termite Specialist - January 24th, 2019
- Alien (creature in Alien franchise) - Wikipedia - January 21st, 2019
- Life With No Males? These Termites Show That Its Possible ... - October 5th, 2018
- Negative Space: Manny Farber On The Movies: Manny Farber ... - September 27th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Spectracide 95853 Terminate ... - September 27th, 2018
- Home | Thrasher Termite and Pest Control -- Best in San Diego - August 24th, 2018
- The Termite Danger Of Stucco And Veneer | Pest Cemetery - August 18th, 2018
- Arizona - Termite Public Service - August 12th, 2018
- Xtermite - 68 Reviews - Pest Control - 10107 Prospect Ave ... - July 1st, 2018
- Drywood Termite Tent Fumigation vs No Tent Termite ... - April 1st, 2018
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor - FiveCentNickel - February 19th, 2018
- Termite Control Stockton CA Call 916-584-9535 Termite ... - January 31st, 2018
- Reviews | Clegg's Termite and Pest Control - January 2nd, 2018
- The pest Company Kordon Termite Barriers - December 29th, 2017
- Termite life cycle: what are the stages, when do eggs ... - December 16th, 2017
- How To Get Rid Of Termites : termites in house | termite ... - November 22nd, 2017
- Consumer Update: Termite Baits - University of Kentucky - October 23rd, 2017
- Columnist Christie Moulton: Impressions of Vietnam, a half century after the war - GazetteNET - September 6th, 2017
- It has a history ... - Palo Alto Online - September 3rd, 2017
- Farce and frivolity | Opinion, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com - Philippine Star - September 2nd, 2017
- Be careful in the company - Valencia County News Bulletin - August 31st, 2017
- Short-term rentals create a long-term problem: soaring taxes for the rest of us - The Lens - August 26th, 2017
- Turnout low at first public hearing on Killeen budget - The Killeen Daily Herald - August 24th, 2017
- 'Nuno sa' internet - Inquirer.net - July 12th, 2017
- A 'Nature School' for curious visitors - The Hindu - July 6th, 2017
- I spent three days as a hunter-gatherer to see if it would improve my gut health - eNCA (satire) - July 4th, 2017
- Editorial: Gigs and garlands - News Chief - July 4th, 2017
- Editorial: Gigs and garlands - The Ledger - July 3rd, 2017
- Adjudicated, blighted property eyed by city - Crowley Post-Signal - June 28th, 2017
- Javed Akhtar, Paresh Rawal react to lynching cases | The Indian ... - The Indian Express - June 24th, 2017
- Termite Inspections: Pre Home Buying Termite Inspection - June 22nd, 2017
- Hospital Hoarding Announces NO Commission to Doctors, rakes ... - Medical Dialogues - June 19th, 2017
- Robert Lamoureux: Your Home Improvement - Santa Clarita Valley Signal - June 18th, 2017
- Mike James: The human factor - The Independent - June 16th, 2017
- Hospital Hoarding Announces NO Commission to Doctors, rakes controversy - Medical Dialogues - June 14th, 2017
- The bond between animals and man - The Straits Times - June 13th, 2017
- Opinion: Mexico's hellish drug war is getting worse, but why? - The Yucatan Times - June 10th, 2017
- The growing danger of terrorism - The Manila Times - June 6th, 2017
- The joys of living encased in concrete block: Letters - Orlando Sentinel - June 3rd, 2017
- Frequently Asked Questions - Specialist Termite Control - June 1st, 2017
- Cowboys May Ride Off Into It - New York Times - June 1st, 2017
- African desert has its own X-files - Independent Online - May 30th, 2017
- Something bigger than ourselves - Lake Country Calendar - May 25th, 2017
- Termite FAQ - DIY - Dr Don's Termite Pages - May 24th, 2017
- Kato Secondary School - Stabroek News - Stabroek News - May 24th, 2017
- Kato Secondary School - Stabroek News - May 21st, 2017
- 'Problem Home,' Chapter 2: A history of challenging local government - Los Angeles Times - May 19th, 2017
- FAGERLUND: Bugman explains pests - Rio Rancho Observer - May 15th, 2017
- LOWEST PRICE FOR VIAGRA 100MG - cialis prescription online - State Column - May 12th, 2017
- Community needs to support Etowah facility efforts - The Daily Post-Athenian - May 11th, 2017
- Neighbors want Miami commission to scuttle part of Avra Jain and Mattoni's Bayside Motor Inn redevelopment - The Real Deal Magazine - May 9th, 2017
- SIMON LINCOLN READER: Let Malikane be hoist by his own penchant for revolution - Business Day (registration) - May 5th, 2017
- Letter: Trump's talk heightens concerns - SW News Media - May 4th, 2017
- Blog: The Pacific dampwood termite - Delta-Optimist (blog) - April 26th, 2017
- McGregor managing to excel as a coach, despite working for Dragons - The Roar - April 22nd, 2017
- FAGERLUND: The ants are marching one by one... Stop 'em! - Rio Rancho Observer - April 16th, 2017
- Baiting ants - Valencia County News Bulletin - April 13th, 2017
- Our view: Watered-down septic bill barely better than nothing - TCPalm - April 7th, 2017
- Beauty and the feast - The Independent - April 7th, 2017
- New EPA administrator refuses to ban pesticide chlorpyrifos - Food Safety News - April 6th, 2017
- The science is clear; the solution is more complex - Thegardenisland.com - April 4th, 2017
- A risk-taker at 25 - Business Mirror - April 3rd, 2017
- Chemical Information - Termite Specialist - March 25th, 2017
- SXSW Film 2017 - Tiny Mix Tapes - March 24th, 2017
- Steve Hansen: Sifting through the recycling issue - Lodi News-Sentinel - March 23rd, 2017
- Impeachment stupidities | Inquirer Opinion - Inquirer.net - March 22nd, 2017
- Robredo called 'termite of government' in impeach complaint - Inquirer.net - March 22nd, 2017
- Marcos loyalist files impeachment complaint vs Leni - Philippine Star - March 21st, 2017