This is the season yes, right now when wood-eating termites set out in search of new digs to expand their colonies.Given the right conditions, they can tear a house to shreds all in plain sight of the unsuspecting homeowner.
Related: Got termites? Get packing
The thing about termites thats so frustrating is the damage they do is so in your face,said Michael Bentley, an entomologist who serves as director of training and education for the National Pest Management Association (NPMA). You think, Ill know it when I see it, right? And next thing you know, youve suddenly got a major issue on your hands.
According to the NPMA, termite infestations cause more than $5 billion in property damage in the U.S. each year costs not typically covered by home insurance policies.
Signs of termites
Spotting the indicators of termites is critical in eliminating and preventing future infestations.
While not everyone will witness the swarms descending on their home, they may stumble across other signs, such as what looks like sawdust piling up around the perimeter of the house but, on closer inspection, is really termite excrement.
Still, some people may find discarded termite wings collecting on windowsills or baseboards, as well as in spiderwebs.
Termites use their wings to put distance between them and their old colonies. Once they land, they lose the wings and set up settlements in and around your home.The most destructive of these are subterranean termites that (unlike drywood termites, which can infest outdoor wood structures and furniture) thrive on moisture.
If youve got water damage in your house, theyre going to find it and start feeding on that wood, Bentley said. And if they hit a gap in that wood, rather than allowing themselves to be exposed theyre going to build a tiny tunnel made of mud and other things to trap in moisture while they travel to a food source. So what you end up with are these tiny little mud tubes that you can see going from a baseboard to a windowsill.
Damage caused by termites
If allowed to feast, the damage proves devastating, as illustrated by the NPMAs commissioned Tiny Termite House project.
Built on a poured cement foundation, the Tiny Termite House has insulation, plumbing, and electricity, plus an in-ground swimming pool.
And its home to 500,000 termites.
The insects were poured onto the soil where they quickly entered the house through faults in the foundation. High-definition cameras have captured them eating through the house.
Moisture from theirmultiple mud tubes has caused the hardwood flooring to buckle. Mud tubes have also started forming around the homes foundation.
Its amazing how when you start to take down drywall in a home thats had termites for 8 months or a year, Bentley said. You find all the two-by-fours decimated. The structural integrity of the wall is now compromised and has to be rebuilt. And then it continues into the rafters.
While the subterranean colony is allowed to run amok in the Tiny Termite House, the critters shouldnt be allowed to in your home for all the reasons mentioned above.
There is nodo-it-yourself treatment for this; you need to call in a professional, Bentley said. Theyre trained to identify the evidence and come up with the best solution using the right products and applying those productsin the most effective way.
The NPMAs PestWorld.org has a find-a-pro locator where people can go to find a local licensed pest control specialist that offers different treatments depending on the species of termite.
Some companies offer tent fumigation services, while others offer a non-toxic alternative microwave treatment that kills the termites and their eggs where theyre actively reproducing using wall-penetrating heat.
Companies also use termite insecticides, including some naturally derived from plants.
The products used by pest management professionals are all evaluated by the EPA, so theyre tested for their safety, for their effectiveness, and for their ability to not persist in the environment after a certain period of time, he added.
Once a home has been treated, homeowners can discourage the return of termites by eliminating the conditions the critters like best. These include fixing plumbing leaks, ensuring gutters direct water away from the home, and eliminating wood-to-soil contact at the foundation, including mulch.
Just because a house was treated for termites doesnt mean another colony wont move in. To protect your investment against a later invasion, schedule annual pest control inspections.
I know this sounds cheesy but its true: there are two types of homes out there, Bentley said. There are homes that have termites and there are homes that are going to get termites.
- Sixt generates positive earnings in the third quarter; in view of the currently drastically worsening effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, no forecast... - October 22nd, 2020
- A New York Times op-ed tried to elevate Black women, but it failed to address Louis Farrakhan's bigotry - JTA News - Jewish Telegraphic Agency - October 22nd, 2020
- Here's a list of September inflation rates for Canadian provinces - Yahoo Canada Finance - October 22nd, 2020
- Letters to the editor, Oct. 14, 2020 | Letters To Editor - The Daily Courier - October 16th, 2020
- 2021 Audi E-Tron GT to get RS hero and jet sounds - CarAdvice - October 13th, 2020
- A Day in the Life of the Grand Strands Snake Chasers - grandstrandmag.com - October 8th, 2020
- Teche Sketches: 'Mostly it is loss which teaches us about the worth of things' - The Daily Iberian - October 6th, 2020
- Rajnath Singhs China performance shows why Modi and Amit Shah need him - ThePrint - September 26th, 2020
- The saga of Decriminalization of Electoral Politics in India and the way forward - 244th Law Commission Report - India Legal - September 21st, 2020
- Handloom Day announcements look like a mix of the good and the bad, but are mostly foggy - The Indian Express - August 22nd, 2020
- The CarAdvice team name their favourite car they've ever driven ... and more - CarAdvice - August 22nd, 2020
- Termite Control Products and Services Market Competition Landscape by Key Players, Growth Strategy, Business Opportunities, Trends and Forecast Study... - August 20th, 2020
- Termite Monitoring Service Market Projected to Witness Vigorous Expansion by 2020-2026 | , DoMyOwn, Specialist Termite Control - Bulletin Line - August 17th, 2020
- A Spokesperson Died After A TV Debate. Will We Do Nothing? - NDTV - August 14th, 2020
- Column: Avoiding self-care can be just as damaging to loved ones - Alton Telegraph - August 6th, 2020
- The Bible doesn't allow divorce on grounds of mutual love that has died - Brunswick News - August 6th, 2020
- Restrictions on religious shops, mrityubhoj and expensive weddings - Avenue Mail - July 6th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor | Local Editorials and Opinion | tucson.com - Arizona Daily Star - July 5th, 2020
- From Hormonal Balance To Preventing UTI, The Many Ways Khus Roots Can Benefit You - NDTV Doctor - June 24th, 2020
- Repairing Termite Damage: Can Termite Damage Be Fixed? - June 21st, 2020
- Conservative Jews: Do you care about Israel? Then vote Trump out - Forward - June 21st, 2020
- Millions of Indians suffered because of administrative failures on a criminal scale - The Indian Express - June 15th, 2020
- Donald Trump is having a bad week. He must find an Amit Shah of his own - ThePrint - June 4th, 2020
- Nokia 5.1 Plus now receiving Android 10 in the latest update - News Lagoon - May 29th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Recent Trends and Developments, Challenges and Opportunities, key drivers and Restraints over the Forecast Period 2020-2026|... - May 23rd, 2020
- When termites swarm, don't hide; track them down ... - April 30th, 2020
- Seth Green bio: age, height, net worth, wife, movies and TV shows - Latest News in Nigeria & Breaking Naija News 24/7 | LEGIT.NG - April 30th, 2020
- Baiting Vs Liquid for Termites, Which one is better ... - April 27th, 2020
- The Rich Are Fleeing the Plagued City, Again - TheStranger.com - April 18th, 2020
- The worst holiday destinations, according to Telegraph readers - Telegraph.co.uk - April 18th, 2020
- News, Finance and Lifestyle - Yahoo Singapore News - April 12th, 2020
- Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Drug Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2026 & Top Key Players are Roche, Boehringer Ingelheim,... - April 9th, 2020
- Letter: Editorial cartoon was not a collectable one - The Westerly Sun - April 9th, 2020
- 15 ways to practice social distance in Jersey and still have fun - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - March 20th, 2020
- Get 2nd opinion on termite inspection - SFGate - March 19th, 2020
- Stevens: Is there room for extremists on social media? - Oregon Daily Emerald - March 12th, 2020
- Anacapa View residents forced to pay for years of neglect - Tri County Sentry - March 10th, 2020
- Leaky boot among host of car troubles - SowetanLIVE - March 3rd, 2020
- Bangladesh is doing well - The Navhind Times - February 23rd, 2020
- Wikipedia Is the Last Best Place on the Internet - WIRED - February 22nd, 2020
- Commentary: 'Parasite' became an Oscars success story overnight because of years of Asian American support - The San Diego Union-Tribune - February 15th, 2020
- Your letters to the editor: Shame on Evers for ditching Pence - Madison.com - February 1st, 2020
- Letters: The democratic freedom to decide Britains policies is the fundamental point of Brexit - Telegraph.co.uk - January 31st, 2020
- Modi-Shahs Delhi dislike found its new target just in time for election Shaheen Bagh - ThePrint - January 29th, 2020
- The thin line of healing - The Hindu - January 27th, 2020
- Why there is a need for Home Improvement? - RecentlyHeard.com - January 24th, 2020
- On the job in Illinois - The Baxter Bulletin - January 20th, 2020
- The case for ... making low-tech 'dumb' cities instead of 'smart' ones - The Guardian - January 15th, 2020
- Modi-Shahs BJP govt has failed Indias youth and is now stuck fighting them - ThePrint - January 13th, 2020
- The Modi-Shah BJP government has failed and is now fighting India's youth - Daily Gaming Worlld - January 12th, 2020
- 7 Mistakes To Avoid While Renovating Your Living Room - RecentlyHeard.com - January 4th, 2020
- Rollins, Inc. - ROL - Stock Price Today - Zacks - January 2nd, 2020
- What went right in the past decade around the world - The Times - January 2nd, 2020
- Burt Prelutsky: Beware the Unelected! - Patriot Post - December 16th, 2019
- A threat to the idea of South Asia - Dhaka Tribune - December 16th, 2019
- So that nobody can be somebody - Telegraph India - December 15th, 2019
- Mistrust and confusion - The Hindu - December 15th, 2019
- Defend against Chronic Wasting Disease this fall | Sports - Richmond Register - December 1st, 2019
- How the BHU students were demonised and the ones who refused to be secularised unfairly called bigots - OpIndia - November 20th, 2019
- Wood Destroying Insect Inspection Reports | Arizona ... - October 30th, 2019
- Cheap DIY Termite Treatment, save - forums.whirlpool.net.au - October 7th, 2019
- Primitive Technology: Termite clay kiln & pottery - YouTube - October 5th, 2019
- Gorongosa National Park - Wikipedia - October 4th, 2019
- Housewraps, Felt Paper and Weather Penetration Barriers ... - October 4th, 2019
- Second Opinion Termite & Pest Control - Yelp - September 13th, 2019
- Pacific Termite - 46 Photos & 78 Reviews - Pest Control ... - May 17th, 2019
- Opinions On Termite Stakes For DIY Pest Control - Pest ... - May 4th, 2019
- Nix Termite - 63 Photos & 214 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 25th, 2019
- Termite Biz - 21 Photos & 132 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 12th, 2019
- What Termites Can Teach Us About Cooling Our Buildings ... - March 30th, 2019
- Termite Ceiling Damage Signs and Symptoms | Terminix - March 16th, 2019
- Go Pest Bendigo - Termite inspections & treatments - March 12th, 2019
- Top 6 Best Termite Treatments | Updated for 2019 - March 9th, 2019
- Borax, Fleas and Misconceptions | Thrasher Termite & Pest ... - February 12th, 2019
- Termite Control South Africa - pestcontrolpros.co.za - February 2nd, 2019
- Termite Dream Meaning and Interpretations | Dream Stop - January 26th, 2019
- Termite Chemical Information - Termite Specialist - January 24th, 2019
- Alien (creature in Alien franchise) - Wikipedia - January 21st, 2019
- Life With No Males? These Termites Show That Its Possible ... - October 5th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Spectracide 95853 Terminate ... - September 27th, 2018