Phillip Leland Richardson, who for years battled the city of Costa Mesa in a series of code enforcement disputes over his house, was born in Glendale on Aug. 3, 1947, the son of a Lockheed Martin aerospace engineer and a teacher.
His father, Ira Richardson, instilled in his children a black-and-white sense of right and wrong.
If youre wrong, apologize and move on, Ira would say. And if youre right, make damn sure you are, then stick to your guns.
Ive lived like that all my life, Phillip Richardson said.
Richardson attended UCLA on a partial swimming scholarship. He had Olympic aspirations before being drafted into the Army in 1968 and sent to Vietnam. As a squad machine gunner, he endured months of jungle combat patrols, a period he recalled as more like a bad dream than anything else.
After returning stateside in 1969, Richardson met Julie Marie Sharratt, the daughter of Navy brass, during a party in Alexandria, Va.
Richardson has never forgotten Julies high-rise address back then: 4600 Duke St. After the party, Richardson often returned, knocking on Julies door. Through their chats, Richardson fell for her. After leaving the Army in 1970, he reconnected with Julie, who had taken a job in Orange County.
In 1973, the two were in the desert near Palmdale, playing golf, though neither liked it. Richardson abruptly declared: This is boring. Lets get married.
It was more of an agreed-to statement than an on-your-knee proposal.
In February 1974, the two married at St. Michael & All Angels Episcopal Parish Church in Corona del Mar. Richardson wore a gold wedding ring of his own design. They honeymooned in Laguna Beach.
In 1976, the couple rented a three-bedroom, one-bathroom home at 276 E. 19th St. in Costa Mesa. He called the backyard a wild prairie of dried weeds. The newlyweds cleared it out.
Richardson concluded through research that it was a one-bedroom farmhouse built before 1906; two bedrooms and an indoor bathroom were added in the 1940s.
According to the Costa Mesa Historical Society, the house was built in 1945, possibly part of a property subdivided in the 40s.
The 1,188-square-foot home was built with redwood, naturally resistant to termite infestation and good in marine climates. It featured a 288-square-foot granny unit and an 888-square-foot garage.
There was nothing else on the street like it, Richardson said.
In 1977, the Richardsons paid $55,000 for it.
Julie, who had grown up moving frequently in a military family, finally had a long-term home.
Three children followed Melissa, James and then Michael. The family of five made the three-bedroom home work, even with a shared bathroom.
The Richardsons never planned to stay as long as they did. They figured the propertys value would peak at $250,000 (it would reach an estimated $1.2 million 40 years later).
Richardson held a variety of jobs: shoe salesman, computer consultant, construction company owner, real estate broker, boat and firearms appraiser, paralegal, Daily Pilot boating columnist.
He said his Richardson Investment Co. has owned or managed more than 150 properties. When collecting rent, he sometimes carried a shotgun in areas where you needed a shotgun.
Richardson, never one to bow to authority, found himself a dissenting voice when serving on local school committees. He recalled conversations about using money to pay for science kits, not a parade.
Richardson disagreed on a proposal to replace students desks. In his mind, unless the children got splinters while sitting in them, that money was better spent elsewhere.
He even once unsuccessfully suggested getting rid of the Newport Harbor High School math department, which he considered inadequate.
In 1991, however, Richardson made a lasting mark on local history. He and four others, angered by school district budget problems, started pouring through public records. He was the math guy in the Gang of 5.
The watchdog group became suspicious of Stephen Wagner, Newport-Mesas budget officer, who seemingly lived beyond his salary.
In December 1992, Wagner pleaded guilty to embezzling more than $3.5 million from Newport-Mesa, then believed to be the largest school embezzlement in state history.
Current Newport-Mesa trustee Dana Black, one of the Gang of 5, said Richardsons number-crunching on his home computer proved pivotal.
Phillip and Julie Richardson were volunteering and very active with kids, the community and our schools, Black said. Just really quality people. Wonderful.
City Hall, however, would later form a very different view of the family and the way they maintained their home.
Coming Friday: In Chapter 3, the fight between Richardson and City Hall over his Eastside home starts to ramp up.
Problem Home, Chapter 1: How a little house in Costa Mesa triggered a 20-year war between its owner and the city
- Column: Avoiding self-care can be just as damaging to loved ones - Alton Telegraph - August 6th, 2020
- The Bible doesn't allow divorce on grounds of mutual love that has died - Brunswick News - August 6th, 2020
- Restrictions on religious shops, mrityubhoj and expensive weddings - Avenue Mail - July 6th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor | Local Editorials and Opinion | tucson.com - Arizona Daily Star - July 5th, 2020
- From Hormonal Balance To Preventing UTI, The Many Ways Khus Roots Can Benefit You - NDTV Doctor - June 24th, 2020
- Repairing Termite Damage: Can Termite Damage Be Fixed? - June 21st, 2020
- Conservative Jews: Do you care about Israel? Then vote Trump out - Forward - June 21st, 2020
- Millions of Indians suffered because of administrative failures on a criminal scale - The Indian Express - June 15th, 2020
- Donald Trump is having a bad week. He must find an Amit Shah of his own - ThePrint - June 4th, 2020
- Nokia 5.1 Plus now receiving Android 10 in the latest update - News Lagoon - May 29th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Recent Trends and Developments, Challenges and Opportunities, key drivers and Restraints over the Forecast Period 2020-2026|... - May 23rd, 2020
- Termite infestations in your home: How to find, treat and ... - May 16th, 2020
- When termites swarm, don't hide; track them down ... - April 30th, 2020
- Seth Green bio: age, height, net worth, wife, movies and TV shows - Latest News in Nigeria & Breaking Naija News 24/7 | LEGIT.NG - April 30th, 2020
- Baiting Vs Liquid for Termites, Which one is better ... - April 27th, 2020
- The Rich Are Fleeing the Plagued City, Again - TheStranger.com - April 18th, 2020
- The worst holiday destinations, according to Telegraph readers - Telegraph.co.uk - April 18th, 2020
- News, Finance and Lifestyle - Yahoo Singapore News - April 12th, 2020
- Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Drug Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2026 & Top Key Players are Roche, Boehringer Ingelheim,... - April 9th, 2020
- Letter: Editorial cartoon was not a collectable one - The Westerly Sun - April 9th, 2020
- 15 ways to practice social distance in Jersey and still have fun - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - March 20th, 2020
- Get 2nd opinion on termite inspection - SFGate - March 19th, 2020
- Stevens: Is there room for extremists on social media? - Oregon Daily Emerald - March 12th, 2020
- Anacapa View residents forced to pay for years of neglect - Tri County Sentry - March 10th, 2020
- Leaky boot among host of car troubles - SowetanLIVE - March 3rd, 2020
- Bangladesh is doing well - The Navhind Times - February 23rd, 2020
- Wikipedia Is the Last Best Place on the Internet - WIRED - February 22nd, 2020
- Commentary: 'Parasite' became an Oscars success story overnight because of years of Asian American support - The San Diego Union-Tribune - February 15th, 2020
- Your letters to the editor: Shame on Evers for ditching Pence - Madison.com - February 1st, 2020
- Letters: The democratic freedom to decide Britains policies is the fundamental point of Brexit - Telegraph.co.uk - January 31st, 2020
- Modi-Shahs Delhi dislike found its new target just in time for election Shaheen Bagh - ThePrint - January 29th, 2020
- The thin line of healing - The Hindu - January 27th, 2020
- Why there is a need for Home Improvement? - RecentlyHeard.com - January 24th, 2020
- On the job in Illinois - The Baxter Bulletin - January 20th, 2020
- The case for ... making low-tech 'dumb' cities instead of 'smart' ones - The Guardian - January 15th, 2020
- Modi-Shahs BJP govt has failed Indias youth and is now stuck fighting them - ThePrint - January 13th, 2020
- The Modi-Shah BJP government has failed and is now fighting India's youth - Daily Gaming Worlld - January 12th, 2020
- 7 Mistakes To Avoid While Renovating Your Living Room - RecentlyHeard.com - January 4th, 2020
- Rollins, Inc. - ROL - Stock Price Today - Zacks - January 2nd, 2020
- What went right in the past decade around the world - The Times - January 2nd, 2020
- Burt Prelutsky: Beware the Unelected! - Patriot Post - December 16th, 2019
- A threat to the idea of South Asia - Dhaka Tribune - December 16th, 2019
- So that nobody can be somebody - Telegraph India - December 15th, 2019
- Mistrust and confusion - The Hindu - December 15th, 2019
- Defend against Chronic Wasting Disease this fall | Sports - Richmond Register - December 1st, 2019
- How the BHU students were demonised and the ones who refused to be secularised unfairly called bigots - OpIndia - November 20th, 2019
- Wood Destroying Insect Inspection Reports | Arizona ... - October 30th, 2019
- Cheap DIY Termite Treatment, save - forums.whirlpool.net.au - October 7th, 2019
- Primitive Technology: Termite clay kiln & pottery - YouTube - October 5th, 2019
- Gorongosa National Park - Wikipedia - October 4th, 2019
- Housewraps, Felt Paper and Weather Penetration Barriers ... - October 4th, 2019
- Second Opinion Termite & Pest Control - Yelp - September 13th, 2019
- Pacific Termite - 46 Photos & 78 Reviews - Pest Control ... - May 17th, 2019
- Opinions On Termite Stakes For DIY Pest Control - Pest ... - May 4th, 2019
- Nix Termite - 63 Photos & 214 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 25th, 2019
- Termite Biz - 21 Photos & 132 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 12th, 2019
- What Termites Can Teach Us About Cooling Our Buildings ... - March 30th, 2019
- Termite Ceiling Damage Signs and Symptoms | Terminix - March 16th, 2019
- Go Pest Bendigo - Termite inspections & treatments - March 12th, 2019
- Top 6 Best Termite Treatments | Updated for 2019 - March 9th, 2019
- Borax, Fleas and Misconceptions | Thrasher Termite & Pest ... - February 12th, 2019
- Termite Control South Africa - pestcontrolpros.co.za - February 2nd, 2019
- Termite Dream Meaning and Interpretations | Dream Stop - January 26th, 2019
- Termite Chemical Information - Termite Specialist - January 24th, 2019
- Alien (creature in Alien franchise) - Wikipedia - January 21st, 2019
- Life With No Males? These Termites Show That Its Possible ... - October 5th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Spectracide 95853 Terminate ... - September 27th, 2018
- Home | Thrasher Termite and Pest Control -- Best in San Diego - August 24th, 2018
- The Termite Danger Of Stucco And Veneer | Pest Cemetery - August 18th, 2018
- Arizona - Termite Public Service - August 12th, 2018
- Xtermite - 68 Reviews - Pest Control - 10107 Prospect Ave ... - July 1st, 2018
- Drywood Termite Tent Fumigation vs No Tent Termite ... - April 1st, 2018
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor - FiveCentNickel - February 19th, 2018
- Termite Control Stockton CA Call 916-584-9535 Termite ... - January 31st, 2018
- Reviews | Clegg's Termite and Pest Control - January 2nd, 2018
- The pest Company Kordon Termite Barriers - December 29th, 2017
- Termite life cycle: what are the stages, when do eggs ... - December 16th, 2017
- How To Get Rid Of Termites : termites in house | termite ... - November 22nd, 2017
- Consumer Update: Termite Baits - University of Kentucky - October 23rd, 2017
- Termite treatments for inside and around the home - October 1st, 2017