Few pieces of legislation have caused as much unease, mistrust and confusion as the Citizenship (Amendment) Act. It is not understood on what basis opponents of the Act are claiming that Indian Muslims are being victimised when it is about non-Muslim minorities of three neighbouring countries. It is well known that minorities in these countries are severely discriminated against. It is but natural for them to look upon to a democratic India for asylum. Are the opponents suggesting that even majority communities in these countries are subject to persecution? If so, by whom and whose responsibility is it to take care of them? Further, if the contention of the Centre that the rights and culture of the North-Eastern States are fully protected is true, what could be the possible reasons for the violent reaction of people belonging to all sections in those States. Doesnt it mean that the government has failed to allay their fears (Protests turn violent in West Bengal, Assam situation eases, Dec. 15)?
The Central government appears to be in a tearing hurry to advance its political agenda by making moves like placing lotus on passports and Devanagari numerals in currency notes. Slowly and stealthily, the country is moving towards a clear dictatorship while all the while democracy is being mentioned in the passing as a stumbling block. Sycophancy has peaked and hero worship is the norm.
In the end, what the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) boils down to is that if you are an illegal immigrant or a refugee who is non-Muslim, you are eligible to get citizenship, albeit on the presumed ground of religious persecution; and if you are an illegal immigrant or a refugee who is Muslim, you will be termed a termite and put in detention centres. This new law, passed overriding impassioned objection,s awakens us to realising what we have become as a nation.
The CAA exemplifies what Indias upper crust is capable of doing to take the focus away from social justice and the economy. Dont be under the illusion that the BJP and RSS with their parliamentary majority make this kind of devious laws all by themselves. It becomes possible to do it by the tacit approval of the supporters of Hindu right in the form of television anchors, top bureaucrats, business tycoons and even judges. It is incomprehensible how anyone can treat a country of continental proportions and an explosive mix of races and religions as their ancestral property.
The religion-based CAA fits in with Sangh Parivars Hindutva agenda; it evokes chilling reminders of Partition and takes India a step too far from its being as a secular democracy. It proclaims Indian territory as more hospitable to Hindus outside India than Muslims outside India.
The way I see it, the CAA is not just communal and unconstitutional, but it is also sadistic and kills the very spirit of humanity. It can be illustrated by the example of feeding one hungry person and not feeding another hungry person for reason of their faith. The CAA, underpinned by Hindu nationalism, is nothing short of naked tyranny of the majority over the minority against which we were warned by none other than B.R.Ambedkar himself. Prime Minister Narendra Modis invocation of Parliament does not clinch the argument.
G. David Milton
Maruthancode, Tamil Nadu
You have reached your limit for free articles this month.
Register to The Hindu for free and get unlimited access for 30 days.
Find mobile-friendly version of articles from the day's newspaper in one easy-to-read list.
Enjoy reading as many articles as you wish without any limitations.
A select list of articles that match your interests and tastes.
Move smoothly between articles as our pages load instantly.
A one-stop-shop for seeing the latest updates, and managing your preferences.
We brief you on the latest and most important developments, three times a day.
Not convinced? Know why you should pay for news.
*Our Digital Subscription plans do not currently include the e-paper ,crossword, iPhone, iPad mobile applications and print. Our plans enhance your reading experience.
- The saga of Decriminalization of Electoral Politics in India and the way forward - 244th Law Commission Report - India Legal - September 21st, 2020
- Handloom Day announcements look like a mix of the good and the bad, but are mostly foggy - The Indian Express - August 22nd, 2020
- The CarAdvice team name their favourite car they've ever driven ... and more - CarAdvice - August 22nd, 2020
- Termite Control Products and Services Market Competition Landscape by Key Players, Growth Strategy, Business Opportunities, Trends and Forecast Study... - August 20th, 2020
- Termite Monitoring Service Market Projected to Witness Vigorous Expansion by 2020-2026 | , DoMyOwn, Specialist Termite Control - Bulletin Line - August 17th, 2020
- A Spokesperson Died After A TV Debate. Will We Do Nothing? - NDTV - August 14th, 2020
- Column: Avoiding self-care can be just as damaging to loved ones - Alton Telegraph - August 6th, 2020
- The Bible doesn't allow divorce on grounds of mutual love that has died - Brunswick News - August 6th, 2020
- Restrictions on religious shops, mrityubhoj and expensive weddings - Avenue Mail - July 6th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor | Local Editorials and Opinion | tucson.com - Arizona Daily Star - July 5th, 2020
- From Hormonal Balance To Preventing UTI, The Many Ways Khus Roots Can Benefit You - NDTV Doctor - June 24th, 2020
- Repairing Termite Damage: Can Termite Damage Be Fixed? - June 21st, 2020
- Conservative Jews: Do you care about Israel? Then vote Trump out - Forward - June 21st, 2020
- Millions of Indians suffered because of administrative failures on a criminal scale - The Indian Express - June 15th, 2020
- Donald Trump is having a bad week. He must find an Amit Shah of his own - ThePrint - June 4th, 2020
- Nokia 5.1 Plus now receiving Android 10 in the latest update - News Lagoon - May 29th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Recent Trends and Developments, Challenges and Opportunities, key drivers and Restraints over the Forecast Period 2020-2026|... - May 23rd, 2020
- Termite infestations in your home: How to find, treat and ... - May 16th, 2020
- When termites swarm, don't hide; track them down ... - April 30th, 2020
- Seth Green bio: age, height, net worth, wife, movies and TV shows - Latest News in Nigeria & Breaking Naija News 24/7 | LEGIT.NG - April 30th, 2020
- Baiting Vs Liquid for Termites, Which one is better ... - April 27th, 2020
- The Rich Are Fleeing the Plagued City, Again - TheStranger.com - April 18th, 2020
- The worst holiday destinations, according to Telegraph readers - Telegraph.co.uk - April 18th, 2020
- News, Finance and Lifestyle - Yahoo Singapore News - April 12th, 2020
- Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Drug Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2026 & Top Key Players are Roche, Boehringer Ingelheim,... - April 9th, 2020
- Letter: Editorial cartoon was not a collectable one - The Westerly Sun - April 9th, 2020
- 15 ways to practice social distance in Jersey and still have fun - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - March 20th, 2020
- Get 2nd opinion on termite inspection - SFGate - March 19th, 2020
- Stevens: Is there room for extremists on social media? - Oregon Daily Emerald - March 12th, 2020
- Anacapa View residents forced to pay for years of neglect - Tri County Sentry - March 10th, 2020
- Leaky boot among host of car troubles - SowetanLIVE - March 3rd, 2020
- Bangladesh is doing well - The Navhind Times - February 23rd, 2020
- Wikipedia Is the Last Best Place on the Internet - WIRED - February 22nd, 2020
- Commentary: 'Parasite' became an Oscars success story overnight because of years of Asian American support - The San Diego Union-Tribune - February 15th, 2020
- Your letters to the editor: Shame on Evers for ditching Pence - Madison.com - February 1st, 2020
- Letters: The democratic freedom to decide Britains policies is the fundamental point of Brexit - Telegraph.co.uk - January 31st, 2020
- Modi-Shahs Delhi dislike found its new target just in time for election Shaheen Bagh - ThePrint - January 29th, 2020
- The thin line of healing - The Hindu - January 27th, 2020
- Why there is a need for Home Improvement? - RecentlyHeard.com - January 24th, 2020
- On the job in Illinois - The Baxter Bulletin - January 20th, 2020
- The case for ... making low-tech 'dumb' cities instead of 'smart' ones - The Guardian - January 15th, 2020
- Modi-Shahs BJP govt has failed Indias youth and is now stuck fighting them - ThePrint - January 13th, 2020
- The Modi-Shah BJP government has failed and is now fighting India's youth - Daily Gaming Worlld - January 12th, 2020
- 7 Mistakes To Avoid While Renovating Your Living Room - RecentlyHeard.com - January 4th, 2020
- Rollins, Inc. - ROL - Stock Price Today - Zacks - January 2nd, 2020
- What went right in the past decade around the world - The Times - January 2nd, 2020
- Burt Prelutsky: Beware the Unelected! - Patriot Post - December 16th, 2019
- A threat to the idea of South Asia - Dhaka Tribune - December 16th, 2019
- So that nobody can be somebody - Telegraph India - December 15th, 2019
- Defend against Chronic Wasting Disease this fall | Sports - Richmond Register - December 1st, 2019
- How the BHU students were demonised and the ones who refused to be secularised unfairly called bigots - OpIndia - November 20th, 2019
- Wood Destroying Insect Inspection Reports | Arizona ... - October 30th, 2019
- Cheap DIY Termite Treatment, save - forums.whirlpool.net.au - October 7th, 2019
- Primitive Technology: Termite clay kiln & pottery - YouTube - October 5th, 2019
- Gorongosa National Park - Wikipedia - October 4th, 2019
- Housewraps, Felt Paper and Weather Penetration Barriers ... - October 4th, 2019
- Second Opinion Termite & Pest Control - Yelp - September 13th, 2019
- Pacific Termite - 46 Photos & 78 Reviews - Pest Control ... - May 17th, 2019
- Opinions On Termite Stakes For DIY Pest Control - Pest ... - May 4th, 2019
- Nix Termite - 63 Photos & 214 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 25th, 2019
- Termite Biz - 21 Photos & 132 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 12th, 2019
- What Termites Can Teach Us About Cooling Our Buildings ... - March 30th, 2019
- Termite Ceiling Damage Signs and Symptoms | Terminix - March 16th, 2019
- Go Pest Bendigo - Termite inspections & treatments - March 12th, 2019
- Top 6 Best Termite Treatments | Updated for 2019 - March 9th, 2019
- Borax, Fleas and Misconceptions | Thrasher Termite & Pest ... - February 12th, 2019
- Termite Control South Africa - pestcontrolpros.co.za - February 2nd, 2019
- Termite Dream Meaning and Interpretations | Dream Stop - January 26th, 2019
- Termite Chemical Information - Termite Specialist - January 24th, 2019
- Alien (creature in Alien franchise) - Wikipedia - January 21st, 2019
- Life With No Males? These Termites Show That Its Possible ... - October 5th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Spectracide 95853 Terminate ... - September 27th, 2018
- Home | Thrasher Termite and Pest Control -- Best in San Diego - August 24th, 2018
- The Termite Danger Of Stucco And Veneer | Pest Cemetery - August 18th, 2018
- Arizona - Termite Public Service - August 12th, 2018
- Xtermite - 68 Reviews - Pest Control - 10107 Prospect Ave ... - July 1st, 2018
- Drywood Termite Tent Fumigation vs No Tent Termite ... - April 1st, 2018
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor - FiveCentNickel - February 19th, 2018
- Termite Control Stockton CA Call 916-584-9535 Termite ... - January 31st, 2018
- Reviews | Clegg's Termite and Pest Control - January 2nd, 2018