Must 50,000 new residents live in lakeside condos?
Why are high-rise condos not being built on Baron, Leckie, Enterprise, and west Rutland, all areas near amenities?
The reason is that Mayor Colin Basran and council are accommodating developers, not new residents.
Imagine the price difference between units in identical buildings in the above areas mentioned and all those being built within a couple of blocks of the beach. Will we reach the imaginary 50,000 new residents by 2040 only if we entice them with waterfront condos?
We can ignore Basrans rhetoric about council being the final decision makers, as we were told directly by a senior city planner that it is the developers who drive the development, including location, height and clearances.
As enablers, Basran and council will, however, rezone to allow developers to evict residents from their homes so they can build near the lake.
The intimacy of an inviting lakeshore space of human dimensions is being destroyed by developer demands, sanctioned by the mayor and council.
Don Henderson, Kelowna
Kelowna is crumbling
What is happening to my dear Kelowna? Although there is much for which to be grateful, the room for improvement is still the biggest room in the world.
Formerly tree speckled mountains are being chewed up and left with rows of scars punctuated with rooftops and balconies.
The flatlands, once lush with fruits and nuts, now have rows of tall termite mounds ostensibly for humans habitation. Sunset Drive, once providing scenic views of lake and peak, is rapidly becoming a winding wormhole with tunnel vision. All this building at a time when homeowners insurance is more unaffordable than ever.
And in a town with an airport with only two runways and one lone hospital. Heaven forbid that multitudes should become ill all at once.
And not much sign of solutions for the homeless or consideration for the indigenous.
In Rutland, yet another small historic house, this one a turn of the century saltbox with gable roof, is being threatened with flattening or spiriting away, its fate unknown, and being replaced with a structure high enough to further obscure views. One wonders if legacy landmarks are being respectfully removed to a Heritage Park for preservation and display or just being returned to dust.
Meanwhile, nightmarish murals have been popping up overnight on Rutland Road. Where is common sense when we need it?
Jewel Dhuru, Kelowna
Kelowna must consider wards
I completely agree with the sentiment, Rutland needs representation. As does each and every community. Though as a resident, sometimes it certainly does seem like Rutland gets the short end of the stick. Mismatched sidewalks in front of brand new developments, the dangerously incomplete bike lane along the busiest part of Rutland Road at Highway 33, the well-used crossing of Rutland Road at Mugford ignored while a brand new, ugly townhouse development went up right beside the crossing. It is a fact the added residents along with the rest of the Mugford neighborhood use the bus stop and park right across the street.
Even the brand new shelter on the corner of McCurdy has some strang mix of sidewalk and paved path, with the hydro meter out on the curb. We might as well be just some podunk, unincorporated burg for all the vision that goes into these developments.
And what about our connection to the rail trail? The best way I havefound from Rutland is to go up to McCurdy and down to the highway.
But hey, thanks for replacing the perfectly fine street light and triangle on the corner of Rutland and Leathead. Silly me, I thought you were putting in a much more efficient roundabout. Oh, and also removing the only fun item at Centennial Park playground for kids older than eight, the brand new merry-go-round, thanks for that. Im sure my kids are much safer.
Kelowna is a large municipality, covering numerous neighborhoods in five distinct communities.
Downtown, Central City, Glenmore, Mission, and Rutland. Each of these communities should have a designated councilor along with three at-large and the mayor. This way we can be sure everyone in our city has representation in council.
This would also make voting easier for everyone. Rather than identifying a long list of councilors to vote for, the list would be reduced to mayor, at-large councillors, and a community candidate.
There would be more accountability when you know which councilor is supposed to be representing your community.
Jeff Frank, Kelowna
City already too divisive
Re:Goodbye downtown Kelowna, we might not miss you,Oct. 9.
I can't believe that was written, worse yet, published. Shame on The Daily Courier for setting the bar so low.
A community newspaper is not a soapbox from which to espouse personal opinions of privilege. Your lack of empathy and education surrounding serious issues of mental health, addiction, and homelessness is appalling. Way to further the divisiveness of our community.
Stephanie Pascuzzo, Kelowna
- HAPPY HANDYMAN: Simple projects that are money savers - Houston Chronicle - November 23rd, 2020
- From Gombe to the Union's Hawking Fellowship: A look at Jane Goodall's remarkable career - Varsity Online - November 3rd, 2020
- Palace invasion: When the gods go on protest - Guardian - October 30th, 2020
- Sixt generates positive earnings in the third quarter; in view of the currently drastically worsening effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, no forecast... - October 22nd, 2020
- A New York Times op-ed tried to elevate Black women, but it failed to address Louis Farrakhan's bigotry - JTA News - Jewish Telegraphic Agency - October 22nd, 2020
- Here's a list of September inflation rates for Canadian provinces - Yahoo Canada Finance - October 22nd, 2020
- 2021 Audi E-Tron GT to get RS hero and jet sounds - CarAdvice - October 13th, 2020
- A Day in the Life of the Grand Strands Snake Chasers - grandstrandmag.com - October 8th, 2020
- Teche Sketches: 'Mostly it is loss which teaches us about the worth of things' - The Daily Iberian - October 6th, 2020
- Rajnath Singhs China performance shows why Modi and Amit Shah need him - ThePrint - September 26th, 2020
- The saga of Decriminalization of Electoral Politics in India and the way forward - 244th Law Commission Report - India Legal - September 21st, 2020
- Handloom Day announcements look like a mix of the good and the bad, but are mostly foggy - The Indian Express - August 22nd, 2020
- The CarAdvice team name their favourite car they've ever driven ... and more - CarAdvice - August 22nd, 2020
- Termite Control Products and Services Market Competition Landscape by Key Players, Growth Strategy, Business Opportunities, Trends and Forecast Study... - August 20th, 2020
- Termite Monitoring Service Market Projected to Witness Vigorous Expansion by 2020-2026 | , DoMyOwn, Specialist Termite Control - Bulletin Line - August 17th, 2020
- A Spokesperson Died After A TV Debate. Will We Do Nothing? - NDTV - August 14th, 2020
- Column: Avoiding self-care can be just as damaging to loved ones - Alton Telegraph - August 6th, 2020
- The Bible doesn't allow divorce on grounds of mutual love that has died - Brunswick News - August 6th, 2020
- Restrictions on religious shops, mrityubhoj and expensive weddings - Avenue Mail - July 6th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor | Local Editorials and Opinion | tucson.com - Arizona Daily Star - July 5th, 2020
- From Hormonal Balance To Preventing UTI, The Many Ways Khus Roots Can Benefit You - NDTV Doctor - June 24th, 2020
- Repairing Termite Damage: Can Termite Damage Be Fixed? - June 21st, 2020
- Conservative Jews: Do you care about Israel? Then vote Trump out - Forward - June 21st, 2020
- Millions of Indians suffered because of administrative failures on a criminal scale - The Indian Express - June 15th, 2020
- Donald Trump is having a bad week. He must find an Amit Shah of his own - ThePrint - June 4th, 2020
- Nokia 5.1 Plus now receiving Android 10 in the latest update - News Lagoon - May 29th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Recent Trends and Developments, Challenges and Opportunities, key drivers and Restraints over the Forecast Period 2020-2026|... - May 23rd, 2020
- Termite infestations in your home: How to find, treat and ... - May 16th, 2020
- When termites swarm, don't hide; track them down ... - April 30th, 2020
- Seth Green bio: age, height, net worth, wife, movies and TV shows - Latest News in Nigeria & Breaking Naija News 24/7 | LEGIT.NG - April 30th, 2020
- Baiting Vs Liquid for Termites, Which one is better ... - April 27th, 2020
- The Rich Are Fleeing the Plagued City, Again - TheStranger.com - April 18th, 2020
- The worst holiday destinations, according to Telegraph readers - Telegraph.co.uk - April 18th, 2020
- News, Finance and Lifestyle - Yahoo Singapore News - April 12th, 2020
- Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Drug Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2026 & Top Key Players are Roche, Boehringer Ingelheim,... - April 9th, 2020
- Letter: Editorial cartoon was not a collectable one - The Westerly Sun - April 9th, 2020
- 15 ways to practice social distance in Jersey and still have fun - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - March 20th, 2020
- Get 2nd opinion on termite inspection - SFGate - March 19th, 2020
- Stevens: Is there room for extremists on social media? - Oregon Daily Emerald - March 12th, 2020
- Anacapa View residents forced to pay for years of neglect - Tri County Sentry - March 10th, 2020
- Leaky boot among host of car troubles - SowetanLIVE - March 3rd, 2020
- Bangladesh is doing well - The Navhind Times - February 23rd, 2020
- Wikipedia Is the Last Best Place on the Internet - WIRED - February 22nd, 2020
- Commentary: 'Parasite' became an Oscars success story overnight because of years of Asian American support - The San Diego Union-Tribune - February 15th, 2020
- Your letters to the editor: Shame on Evers for ditching Pence - Madison.com - February 1st, 2020
- Letters: The democratic freedom to decide Britains policies is the fundamental point of Brexit - Telegraph.co.uk - January 31st, 2020
- Modi-Shahs Delhi dislike found its new target just in time for election Shaheen Bagh - ThePrint - January 29th, 2020
- The thin line of healing - The Hindu - January 27th, 2020
- Why there is a need for Home Improvement? - RecentlyHeard.com - January 24th, 2020
- On the job in Illinois - The Baxter Bulletin - January 20th, 2020
- The case for ... making low-tech 'dumb' cities instead of 'smart' ones - The Guardian - January 15th, 2020
- Modi-Shahs BJP govt has failed Indias youth and is now stuck fighting them - ThePrint - January 13th, 2020
- The Modi-Shah BJP government has failed and is now fighting India's youth - Daily Gaming Worlld - January 12th, 2020
- 7 Mistakes To Avoid While Renovating Your Living Room - RecentlyHeard.com - January 4th, 2020
- Rollins, Inc. - ROL - Stock Price Today - Zacks - January 2nd, 2020
- What went right in the past decade around the world - The Times - January 2nd, 2020
- Burt Prelutsky: Beware the Unelected! - Patriot Post - December 16th, 2019
- A threat to the idea of South Asia - Dhaka Tribune - December 16th, 2019
- So that nobody can be somebody - Telegraph India - December 15th, 2019
- Mistrust and confusion - The Hindu - December 15th, 2019
- Defend against Chronic Wasting Disease this fall | Sports - Richmond Register - December 1st, 2019
- How the BHU students were demonised and the ones who refused to be secularised unfairly called bigots - OpIndia - November 20th, 2019
- Wood Destroying Insect Inspection Reports | Arizona ... - October 30th, 2019
- Cheap DIY Termite Treatment, save - forums.whirlpool.net.au - October 7th, 2019
- Primitive Technology: Termite clay kiln & pottery - YouTube - October 5th, 2019
- Gorongosa National Park - Wikipedia - October 4th, 2019
- Housewraps, Felt Paper and Weather Penetration Barriers ... - October 4th, 2019
- Second Opinion Termite & Pest Control - Yelp - September 13th, 2019
- Pacific Termite - 46 Photos & 78 Reviews - Pest Control ... - May 17th, 2019
- Opinions On Termite Stakes For DIY Pest Control - Pest ... - May 4th, 2019
- Nix Termite - 63 Photos & 214 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 25th, 2019
- Termite Biz - 21 Photos & 132 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 12th, 2019
- What Termites Can Teach Us About Cooling Our Buildings ... - March 30th, 2019
- Termite Ceiling Damage Signs and Symptoms | Terminix - March 16th, 2019
- Go Pest Bendigo - Termite inspections & treatments - March 12th, 2019
- Top 6 Best Termite Treatments | Updated for 2019 - March 9th, 2019
- Borax, Fleas and Misconceptions | Thrasher Termite & Pest ... - February 12th, 2019
- Termite Control South Africa - pestcontrolpros.co.za - February 2nd, 2019
- Termite Dream Meaning and Interpretations | Dream Stop - January 26th, 2019
- Termite Chemical Information - Termite Specialist - January 24th, 2019