Bill Burnett and Kevin Burnett
Q:I am selling a house and have gotten a termite inspection by a company recommended by the real estate agent. The recommendation was to tent the house and treat it with Premise 75. The cost for the subterranean termite treatment is $1,250 and for the drywood termites is $2,600. The drywood termites are only in a corner by the water heater and under the porch by the water heater. Is the tenting for both types of termites? Why two different prices?
In addition, there are various fungus and dry-rot repairs to the tune of $3,000 more. The termite company requires that they do the work or they will not give a completion notice. I could get a handyman to do it for much less. I want to get another estimate, but the real estate agent says we may be opening another can of worms, as the inspections are recorded.
It seems as if the termite company has us over a barrel and can charge whatever it wants since a competitive inspection is unlikely.
A: Your real estate agent is dead wrong. The termite company does not have you over a barrel. Get a competitive inspection and another bid. You'll be out another inspection fee, but that's all.
Standard practice these days is to get a structural and pest control inspection before listing your property so you know the likely cost of repairs. Our favorite way to deal with this is to negotiate a credit on the sale and let the buyer deal with the work. You get a closing and they get to control the work. Everyone wins.
When Kevin sold his Alameda house, the offer was contingent on a clear pest control report. Kevin was the listing agent. The buyer's agent had a pest control contractor she liked. The guy pulled up in an extra-long pickup he used to trailer his ski boat. Uh-oh!
At the end of the inspection he came up with about $5,000 worth of work, including $2,600 to tent the house and do some dry-rot repair. After doing a little investigation, Kevin found the dry-rot repair was minimal and partially unnecessary, and the fumigation could be subcontracted at a cost of about $800. Kevin did the rot repair himself for a few hundred bucks, had the home re-inspected by the reputable pest control operator he used, who cleared the work. He refused to do the fumigation. Ultimately, the deal closed and the buyers did the fumigation before they moved in.
It's likely that your house needs two types of treatment, hence the separate prices.
Premise 75 is a liquid termiticide injected into the ground along the foundation to create a chemical barrier against subterranean termite infestation. The chemical is dangerous and should only be handled by trained, licensed personnel. You can get a full description of the uses and dangers of this poison at bit.ly/hq4j4o.
Tenting or fumigation kills drywood termites and other wood-destroying pests like powderpost beetles. The process consists of placing tarps over the entire house and pumping in poison gas to kill every living thing in the house. The gas permeates everywhere, including pillows, mattresses, food and furniture. For this reason, we strongly recommend if fumigation is required, to have if done after you move out. This website will give you a good idea of what you're in for: bit.ly/eRVTyf.
Be aware that fumigation kills the bugs currently infesting the house, but it does not prevent them from returning.
In California, termite inspections call out two areas of repair. Section One repairs deal with areas where active infestation is apparent. Beetles, termites and dry rot fall into this category. Section Two work deals with conditions likely to lead to damage in the future. An example is dirt graded to within 6 inches of a foundation. Only do the Section One repairs.
Don't use a handyman to do the dry-rot repairs. If all the work is in plain sight, use a licensed, insured and bonded general contractor. These professionals are more likely to be able to work with the termite company and get the ultimate goal - a clearance. Carefully inspect the contract and try to get a fixed bid. Sometimes hidden damage will be uncovered, which costs more.
- Is democracy in the US still sound and resilient? - The Irish Times - December 23rd, 2020
- Digital Denial: The unsettling truths exposed by 'coded bias' - LA Downtown News Online - December 23rd, 2020
- America must save it from itself | Columns | theadanews.com - Theadanews - December 22nd, 2020
- Dick Law: During 45 years of working in local real estate, I've never seen anything like this - The Union of Grass Valley - December 10th, 2020
- Baranyai: Senate leads fight to end animal cruelty and exploitation in Canada - Alberta Daily Herald Tribune - December 8th, 2020
- Letter: Thoughts on the 2020 election | Letters to the Editor - The Sheridan Press - December 6th, 2020
- HAPPY HANDYMAN: Simple projects that are money savers - Houston Chronicle - November 23rd, 2020
- From Gombe to the Union's Hawking Fellowship: A look at Jane Goodall's remarkable career - Varsity Online - November 3rd, 2020
- Palace invasion: When the gods go on protest - Guardian - October 30th, 2020
- Sixt generates positive earnings in the third quarter; in view of the currently drastically worsening effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, no forecast... - October 22nd, 2020
- A New York Times op-ed tried to elevate Black women, but it failed to address Louis Farrakhan's bigotry - JTA News - Jewish Telegraphic Agency - October 22nd, 2020
- Here's a list of September inflation rates for Canadian provinces - Yahoo Canada Finance - October 22nd, 2020
- Letters to the editor, Oct. 14, 2020 | Letters To Editor - The Daily Courier - October 16th, 2020
- 2021 Audi E-Tron GT to get RS hero and jet sounds - CarAdvice - October 13th, 2020
- A Day in the Life of the Grand Strands Snake Chasers - grandstrandmag.com - October 8th, 2020
- Teche Sketches: 'Mostly it is loss which teaches us about the worth of things' - The Daily Iberian - October 6th, 2020
- Rajnath Singhs China performance shows why Modi and Amit Shah need him - ThePrint - September 26th, 2020
- The saga of Decriminalization of Electoral Politics in India and the way forward - 244th Law Commission Report - India Legal - September 21st, 2020
- Handloom Day announcements look like a mix of the good and the bad, but are mostly foggy - The Indian Express - August 22nd, 2020
- The CarAdvice team name their favourite car they've ever driven ... and more - CarAdvice - August 22nd, 2020
- Termite Control Products and Services Market Competition Landscape by Key Players, Growth Strategy, Business Opportunities, Trends and Forecast Study... - August 20th, 2020
- Termite Monitoring Service Market Projected to Witness Vigorous Expansion by 2020-2026 | , DoMyOwn, Specialist Termite Control - Bulletin Line - August 17th, 2020
- A Spokesperson Died After A TV Debate. Will We Do Nothing? - NDTV - August 14th, 2020
- Column: Avoiding self-care can be just as damaging to loved ones - Alton Telegraph - August 6th, 2020
- The Bible doesn't allow divorce on grounds of mutual love that has died - Brunswick News - August 6th, 2020
- Restrictions on religious shops, mrityubhoj and expensive weddings - Avenue Mail - July 6th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor | Local Editorials and Opinion | tucson.com - Arizona Daily Star - July 5th, 2020
- From Hormonal Balance To Preventing UTI, The Many Ways Khus Roots Can Benefit You - NDTV Doctor - June 24th, 2020
- Repairing Termite Damage: Can Termite Damage Be Fixed? - June 21st, 2020
- Conservative Jews: Do you care about Israel? Then vote Trump out - Forward - June 21st, 2020
- Millions of Indians suffered because of administrative failures on a criminal scale - The Indian Express - June 15th, 2020
- Donald Trump is having a bad week. He must find an Amit Shah of his own - ThePrint - June 4th, 2020
- Nokia 5.1 Plus now receiving Android 10 in the latest update - News Lagoon - May 29th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Recent Trends and Developments, Challenges and Opportunities, key drivers and Restraints over the Forecast Period 2020-2026|... - May 23rd, 2020
- Termite infestations in your home: How to find, treat and ... - May 16th, 2020
- When termites swarm, don't hide; track them down ... - April 30th, 2020
- Seth Green bio: age, height, net worth, wife, movies and TV shows - Latest News in Nigeria & Breaking Naija News 24/7 | LEGIT.NG - April 30th, 2020
- Baiting Vs Liquid for Termites, Which one is better ... - April 27th, 2020
- The Rich Are Fleeing the Plagued City, Again - TheStranger.com - April 18th, 2020
- The worst holiday destinations, according to Telegraph readers - Telegraph.co.uk - April 18th, 2020
- News, Finance and Lifestyle - Yahoo Singapore News - April 12th, 2020
- Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Drug Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2026 & Top Key Players are Roche, Boehringer Ingelheim,... - April 9th, 2020
- Letter: Editorial cartoon was not a collectable one - The Westerly Sun - April 9th, 2020
- 15 ways to practice social distance in Jersey and still have fun - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - March 20th, 2020
- Stevens: Is there room for extremists on social media? - Oregon Daily Emerald - March 12th, 2020
- Anacapa View residents forced to pay for years of neglect - Tri County Sentry - March 10th, 2020
- Leaky boot among host of car troubles - SowetanLIVE - March 3rd, 2020
- Bangladesh is doing well - The Navhind Times - February 23rd, 2020
- Wikipedia Is the Last Best Place on the Internet - WIRED - February 22nd, 2020
- Commentary: 'Parasite' became an Oscars success story overnight because of years of Asian American support - The San Diego Union-Tribune - February 15th, 2020
- Your letters to the editor: Shame on Evers for ditching Pence - Madison.com - February 1st, 2020
- Letters: The democratic freedom to decide Britains policies is the fundamental point of Brexit - Telegraph.co.uk - January 31st, 2020
- Modi-Shahs Delhi dislike found its new target just in time for election Shaheen Bagh - ThePrint - January 29th, 2020
- The thin line of healing - The Hindu - January 27th, 2020
- Why there is a need for Home Improvement? - RecentlyHeard.com - January 24th, 2020
- On the job in Illinois - The Baxter Bulletin - January 20th, 2020
- The case for ... making low-tech 'dumb' cities instead of 'smart' ones - The Guardian - January 15th, 2020
- Modi-Shahs BJP govt has failed Indias youth and is now stuck fighting them - ThePrint - January 13th, 2020
- The Modi-Shah BJP government has failed and is now fighting India's youth - Daily Gaming Worlld - January 12th, 2020
- 7 Mistakes To Avoid While Renovating Your Living Room - RecentlyHeard.com - January 4th, 2020
- Rollins, Inc. - ROL - Stock Price Today - Zacks - January 2nd, 2020
- What went right in the past decade around the world - The Times - January 2nd, 2020
- Burt Prelutsky: Beware the Unelected! - Patriot Post - December 16th, 2019
- A threat to the idea of South Asia - Dhaka Tribune - December 16th, 2019
- So that nobody can be somebody - Telegraph India - December 15th, 2019
- Mistrust and confusion - The Hindu - December 15th, 2019
- Defend against Chronic Wasting Disease this fall | Sports - Richmond Register - December 1st, 2019
- How the BHU students were demonised and the ones who refused to be secularised unfairly called bigots - OpIndia - November 20th, 2019
- Wood Destroying Insect Inspection Reports | Arizona ... - October 30th, 2019
- Cheap DIY Termite Treatment, save - forums.whirlpool.net.au - October 7th, 2019
- Primitive Technology: Termite clay kiln & pottery - YouTube - October 5th, 2019
- Gorongosa National Park - Wikipedia - October 4th, 2019
- Housewraps, Felt Paper and Weather Penetration Barriers ... - October 4th, 2019
- Second Opinion Termite & Pest Control - Yelp - September 13th, 2019
- Pacific Termite - 46 Photos & 78 Reviews - Pest Control ... - May 17th, 2019
- Opinions On Termite Stakes For DIY Pest Control - Pest ... - May 4th, 2019
- Nix Termite - 63 Photos & 214 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 25th, 2019
- Termite Biz - 21 Photos & 132 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 12th, 2019
- What Termites Can Teach Us About Cooling Our Buildings ... - March 30th, 2019
- Termite Ceiling Damage Signs and Symptoms | Terminix - March 16th, 2019