Bill Burnett and Kevin Burnett
Q:I am selling a house and have gotten a termite inspection by a company recommended by the real estate agent. The recommendation was to tent the house and treat it with Premise 75. The cost for the subterranean termite treatment is $1,250 and for the drywood termites is $2,600. The drywood termites are only in a corner by the water heater and under the porch by the water heater. Is the tenting for both types of termites? Why two different prices?
In addition, there are various fungus and dry-rot repairs to the tune of $3,000 more. The termite company requires that they do the work or they will not give a completion notice. I could get a handyman to do it for much less. I want to get another estimate, but the real estate agent says we may be opening another can of worms, as the inspections are recorded.
It seems as if the termite company has us over a barrel and can charge whatever it wants since a competitive inspection is unlikely.
A: Your real estate agent is dead wrong. The termite company does not have you over a barrel. Get a competitive inspection and another bid. You'll be out another inspection fee, but that's all.
Standard practice these days is to get a structural and pest control inspection before listing your property so you know the likely cost of repairs. Our favorite way to deal with this is to negotiate a credit on the sale and let the buyer deal with the work. You get a closing and they get to control the work. Everyone wins.
When Kevin sold his Alameda house, the offer was contingent on a clear pest control report. Kevin was the listing agent. The buyer's agent had a pest control contractor she liked. The guy pulled up in an extra-long pickup he used to trailer his ski boat. Uh-oh!
At the end of the inspection he came up with about $5,000 worth of work, including $2,600 to tent the house and do some dry-rot repair. After doing a little investigation, Kevin found the dry-rot repair was minimal and partially unnecessary, and the fumigation could be subcontracted at a cost of about $800. Kevin did the rot repair himself for a few hundred bucks, had the home re-inspected by the reputable pest control operator he used, who cleared the work. He refused to do the fumigation. Ultimately, the deal closed and the buyers did the fumigation before they moved in.
It's likely that your house needs two types of treatment, hence the separate prices.
Premise 75 is a liquid termiticide injected into the ground along the foundation to create a chemical barrier against subterranean termite infestation. The chemical is dangerous and should only be handled by trained, licensed personnel. You can get a full description of the uses and dangers of this poison at bit.ly/hq4j4o.
Tenting or fumigation kills drywood termites and other wood-destroying pests like powderpost beetles. The process consists of placing tarps over the entire house and pumping in poison gas to kill every living thing in the house. The gas permeates everywhere, including pillows, mattresses, food and furniture. For this reason, we strongly recommend if fumigation is required, to have if done after you move out. This website will give you a good idea of what you're in for: bit.ly/eRVTyf.
Be aware that fumigation kills the bugs currently infesting the house, but it does not prevent them from returning.
In California, termite inspections call out two areas of repair. Section One repairs deal with areas where active infestation is apparent. Beetles, termites and dry rot fall into this category. Section Two work deals with conditions likely to lead to damage in the future. An example is dirt graded to within 6 inches of a foundation. Only do the Section One repairs.
Don't use a handyman to do the dry-rot repairs. If all the work is in plain sight, use a licensed, insured and bonded general contractor. These professionals are more likely to be able to work with the termite company and get the ultimate goal - a clearance. Carefully inspect the contract and try to get a fixed bid. Sometimes hidden damage will be uncovered, which costs more.
- 15 ways to practice social distance in Jersey and still have fun - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - March 20th, 2020
- Stevens: Is there room for extremists on social media? - Oregon Daily Emerald - March 12th, 2020
- Anacapa View residents forced to pay for years of neglect - Tri County Sentry - March 10th, 2020
- Leaky boot among host of car troubles - SowetanLIVE - March 3rd, 2020
- Bangladesh is doing well - The Navhind Times - February 23rd, 2020
- Wikipedia Is the Last Best Place on the Internet - WIRED - February 22nd, 2020
- Commentary: 'Parasite' became an Oscars success story overnight because of years of Asian American support - The San Diego Union-Tribune - February 15th, 2020
- Your letters to the editor: Shame on Evers for ditching Pence - Madison.com - February 1st, 2020
- Letters: The democratic freedom to decide Britains policies is the fundamental point of Brexit - Telegraph.co.uk - January 31st, 2020
- Modi-Shahs Delhi dislike found its new target just in time for election Shaheen Bagh - ThePrint - January 29th, 2020
- The thin line of healing - The Hindu - January 27th, 2020
- Why there is a need for Home Improvement? - RecentlyHeard.com - January 24th, 2020
- On the job in Illinois - The Baxter Bulletin - January 20th, 2020
- The case for ... making low-tech 'dumb' cities instead of 'smart' ones - The Guardian - January 15th, 2020
- Modi-Shahs BJP govt has failed Indias youth and is now stuck fighting them - ThePrint - January 13th, 2020
- The Modi-Shah BJP government has failed and is now fighting India's youth - Daily Gaming Worlld - January 12th, 2020
- 7 Mistakes To Avoid While Renovating Your Living Room - RecentlyHeard.com - January 4th, 2020
- Rollins, Inc. - ROL - Stock Price Today - Zacks - January 2nd, 2020
- What went right in the past decade around the world - The Times - January 2nd, 2020
- Burt Prelutsky: Beware the Unelected! - Patriot Post - December 16th, 2019
- A threat to the idea of South Asia - Dhaka Tribune - December 16th, 2019
- So that nobody can be somebody - Telegraph India - December 15th, 2019
- Mistrust and confusion - The Hindu - December 15th, 2019
- Defend against Chronic Wasting Disease this fall | Sports - Richmond Register - December 1st, 2019
- How the BHU students were demonised and the ones who refused to be secularised unfairly called bigots - OpIndia - November 20th, 2019
- Wood Destroying Insect Inspection Reports | Arizona ... - October 30th, 2019
- Cheap DIY Termite Treatment, save - forums.whirlpool.net.au - October 7th, 2019
- Primitive Technology: Termite clay kiln & pottery - YouTube - October 5th, 2019
- Gorongosa National Park - Wikipedia - October 4th, 2019
- Housewraps, Felt Paper and Weather Penetration Barriers ... - October 4th, 2019
- Second Opinion Termite & Pest Control - Yelp - September 13th, 2019
- Pacific Termite - 46 Photos & 78 Reviews - Pest Control ... - May 17th, 2019
- Opinions On Termite Stakes For DIY Pest Control - Pest ... - May 4th, 2019
- Nix Termite - 63 Photos & 214 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 25th, 2019
- Termite Biz - 21 Photos & 132 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 12th, 2019
- What Termites Can Teach Us About Cooling Our Buildings ... - March 30th, 2019
- Termite Ceiling Damage Signs and Symptoms | Terminix - March 16th, 2019
- Go Pest Bendigo - Termite inspections & treatments - March 12th, 2019
- Top 6 Best Termite Treatments | Updated for 2019 - March 9th, 2019
- Borax, Fleas and Misconceptions | Thrasher Termite & Pest ... - February 12th, 2019
- Termite Control South Africa - pestcontrolpros.co.za - February 2nd, 2019
- Termite Dream Meaning and Interpretations | Dream Stop - January 26th, 2019
- Termite Chemical Information - Termite Specialist - January 24th, 2019
- Alien (creature in Alien franchise) - Wikipedia - January 21st, 2019
- Life With No Males? These Termites Show That Its Possible ... - October 5th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Spectracide 95853 Terminate ... - September 27th, 2018
- Home | Thrasher Termite and Pest Control -- Best in San Diego - August 24th, 2018
- The Termite Danger Of Stucco And Veneer | Pest Cemetery - August 18th, 2018
- Arizona - Termite Public Service - August 12th, 2018
- Xtermite - 68 Reviews - Pest Control - 10107 Prospect Ave ... - July 1st, 2018
- Drywood Termite Tent Fumigation vs No Tent Termite ... - April 1st, 2018
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor - FiveCentNickel - February 19th, 2018
- Termite Control Stockton CA Call 916-584-9535 Termite ... - January 31st, 2018
- Reviews | Clegg's Termite and Pest Control - January 2nd, 2018
- The pest Company Kordon Termite Barriers - December 29th, 2017
- Termite life cycle: what are the stages, when do eggs ... - December 16th, 2017
- How To Get Rid Of Termites : termites in house | termite ... - November 22nd, 2017
- Consumer Update: Termite Baits - University of Kentucky - October 23rd, 2017
- Termite treatments for inside and around the home - October 1st, 2017
- Columnist Christie Moulton: Impressions of Vietnam, a half century after the war - GazetteNET - September 6th, 2017
- It has a history ... - Palo Alto Online - September 3rd, 2017
- Farce and frivolity | Opinion, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com - Philippine Star - September 2nd, 2017
- Be careful in the company - Valencia County News Bulletin - August 31st, 2017
- Short-term rentals create a long-term problem: soaring taxes for the rest of us - The Lens - August 26th, 2017
- Turnout low at first public hearing on Killeen budget - The Killeen Daily Herald - August 24th, 2017
- 'Nuno sa' internet - Inquirer.net - July 12th, 2017
- A 'Nature School' for curious visitors - The Hindu - July 6th, 2017
- I spent three days as a hunter-gatherer to see if it would improve my gut health - eNCA (satire) - July 4th, 2017
- Editorial: Gigs and garlands - News Chief - July 4th, 2017
- Editorial: Gigs and garlands - The Ledger - July 3rd, 2017
- Adjudicated, blighted property eyed by city - Crowley Post-Signal - June 28th, 2017
- Javed Akhtar, Paresh Rawal react to lynching cases | The Indian ... - The Indian Express - June 24th, 2017
- Termite Inspections: Pre Home Buying Termite Inspection - June 22nd, 2017
- Hospital Hoarding Announces NO Commission to Doctors, rakes ... - Medical Dialogues - June 19th, 2017
- Robert Lamoureux: Your Home Improvement - Santa Clarita Valley Signal - June 18th, 2017
- Mike James: The human factor - The Independent - June 16th, 2017
- Hospital Hoarding Announces NO Commission to Doctors, rakes controversy - Medical Dialogues - June 14th, 2017
- The bond between animals and man - The Straits Times - June 13th, 2017
- Opinion: Mexico's hellish drug war is getting worse, but why? - The Yucatan Times - June 10th, 2017
- The growing danger of terrorism - The Manila Times - June 6th, 2017