Text Size:A- A+
Donald Trump and Narendra Modis political ideologies are from the same playbook. However, unlike Modi, Trump comes across as collateral damage because he doesnt have an Amit Shah. The US Presidents obsession with handling any situation all by himself has made sure he continuously faces the brunt of public anger.
What amplifies Trumps troubles is his frequent rant on Twitter, where he acts like a teenage lover boy who is extremely volatile and vocal. When the protests broke out in the US over George Floyds murder, Trump made incendiary remarks like when the looting starts, the shooting starts, and protesters would have been greeted with most vicious dogs and most ominous weapons. Unsurprisingly, these only fuelled public fury.
For Modi, in times of crises that emerge out of public anger whether its farmers walking hundreds of kilometres, the anti-CAA protests, students march, or the riots in Delhi Amit Shah always comes to the rescue. The duo has an established format: Modi maintains his silence and behaves like a statesman on social media, while Amit Shah takes care of the role that has been outsourced to him of ranting and lacing his speech targeted at Muslims with words such as ghuspaithiye (infiltrators) and deemak (termite).
And so, when the police in Delhi or Uttar Pradesh go after citizens in a brutal way, its not Modi but Amit Shah who comes across as the face of that brutality and a manager of public anger. When Shah coordinates in times of such crises, Modi takes the back seat.If only Trump had someone to play the bad cop for him.
Also read: The Modi playbook: Delay in PM condemning attacks on Kashmiris is part of a pattern
While Donald Trump has always expressed his admiration for Narendra Modi, he has not quite learnt the art of managing a democracy from him. Even after repeated criticism for not addressing press conferences and for maintaining stony silence over mob lynchings and riots, Modi continues to enjoy popularity among Indians. This is because silence is better than being abusive and ranting on social media or in a press conference all those places where Trump makes public his inner thoughts.
In the last couple of days, Trump posted insensitive and violent tweets against the protesters and then got into a tussle with the microblogging site itself.
All of this can be avoided if Trump manages to find himself a loyal partner, someone like Amit Shah. Whether it is election campaigns or managing divisive policy moves, Shah always plays the person at the front role, even if the photographs used in media and public advertisements are of Modi.
Whereas Trump targets everyone he dislikes in the US himself, in the Indian political scenario, it is Amit Shah, and not Modi, who goes all guns blazing at protesters, media, opposition and businesspersons, directly or indirectly.So, unlike Modi, Trump finds himself at the centre of every counter that comes his way for his reckless actions and remarks.
It is next to impossible for a police chief in India to call out Modi and ask him to shut up. Therefore, Trump needs an image shield, somebody who backs him up and cleans up the mess he creates, especially if he wants to come back to power. The next US presidential election is scheduled for November 2020.
Also read: Modi faces no political costs for suffering he causes. Hes just like Irans Ali Khamenei
Trump needs to stop being the fall guy if he wants the public and the mainstream media to like and respect him. He needs to learn that in order to manage and control his narrative on Twitter, the President of the country doesnt need to stoop low he can get an IT cell to do that for him. This way, the vileness and the anger will remain intact, but direct blame will be avoided and might even give him an opportunity to project himself as the peoples leader.
Donald Trump comes across not only as a narcissist and sadist, but also an anarchist. Its like Trump cannot even once take the back seat, or sympathise with people he seemingly keeps a dislike for.Who can forget him mimicking Black American Eric Garners dying words I cant breathe at a public rally in April 2016?
His fallouts with his closest aides such as former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, former Attorney General Jeff Sessions, and former special counsel Michael Cohen throw light on his trust issues. This is one of the primary reasons why Trump has to fight his own battles, even the ones where he can easily avoid drawing public attention.
Modi, on the other hand, has always enjoyed the company and support of his closest aides Amit Shah, Piyush Goyal, Ravi Shankar Prasad, Prakash Javadekar, Nirmala Sitharaman, Rajnath Singh, J.P. Nadda, Nitin Gadkari, S. Jaishankar and several other second and third rung BJP leaders who make controversial remarks and keep the Hindutva discourse alive.
As things turn worse in the US, with the police and protesters clashing, Trump cannot forget the other looming danger the Covid-19 pandemic, which has already battered the US with close to 2 million positive cases and more than 109,000 deaths. Therefore, in times like this, Trump must understand that he does not have a quasi-religious appeal like Modi that would turn him into a demi-God for the US citizens. He needs a friend and a partner like Amit Shah.And it is not Mike Pence.
Views are personal.
ThePrint is now on Telegram. For the best reports & opinion on politics, governance and more, subscribe to ThePrint on Telegram.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel.
- The saga of Decriminalization of Electoral Politics in India and the way forward - 244th Law Commission Report - India Legal - September 21st, 2020
- Handloom Day announcements look like a mix of the good and the bad, but are mostly foggy - The Indian Express - August 22nd, 2020
- The CarAdvice team name their favourite car they've ever driven ... and more - CarAdvice - August 22nd, 2020
- Termite Control Products and Services Market Competition Landscape by Key Players, Growth Strategy, Business Opportunities, Trends and Forecast Study... - August 20th, 2020
- Termite Monitoring Service Market Projected to Witness Vigorous Expansion by 2020-2026 | , DoMyOwn, Specialist Termite Control - Bulletin Line - August 17th, 2020
- A Spokesperson Died After A TV Debate. Will We Do Nothing? - NDTV - August 14th, 2020
- Column: Avoiding self-care can be just as damaging to loved ones - Alton Telegraph - August 6th, 2020
- The Bible doesn't allow divorce on grounds of mutual love that has died - Brunswick News - August 6th, 2020
- Restrictions on religious shops, mrityubhoj and expensive weddings - Avenue Mail - July 6th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor | Local Editorials and Opinion | tucson.com - Arizona Daily Star - July 5th, 2020
- From Hormonal Balance To Preventing UTI, The Many Ways Khus Roots Can Benefit You - NDTV Doctor - June 24th, 2020
- Repairing Termite Damage: Can Termite Damage Be Fixed? - June 21st, 2020
- Conservative Jews: Do you care about Israel? Then vote Trump out - Forward - June 21st, 2020
- Millions of Indians suffered because of administrative failures on a criminal scale - The Indian Express - June 15th, 2020
- Nokia 5.1 Plus now receiving Android 10 in the latest update - News Lagoon - May 29th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Recent Trends and Developments, Challenges and Opportunities, key drivers and Restraints over the Forecast Period 2020-2026|... - May 23rd, 2020
- Termite infestations in your home: How to find, treat and ... - May 16th, 2020
- When termites swarm, don't hide; track them down ... - April 30th, 2020
- Seth Green bio: age, height, net worth, wife, movies and TV shows - Latest News in Nigeria & Breaking Naija News 24/7 | LEGIT.NG - April 30th, 2020
- Baiting Vs Liquid for Termites, Which one is better ... - April 27th, 2020
- The Rich Are Fleeing the Plagued City, Again - TheStranger.com - April 18th, 2020
- The worst holiday destinations, according to Telegraph readers - Telegraph.co.uk - April 18th, 2020
- News, Finance and Lifestyle - Yahoo Singapore News - April 12th, 2020
- Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Drug Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2026 & Top Key Players are Roche, Boehringer Ingelheim,... - April 9th, 2020
- Letter: Editorial cartoon was not a collectable one - The Westerly Sun - April 9th, 2020
- 15 ways to practice social distance in Jersey and still have fun - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - March 20th, 2020
- Get 2nd opinion on termite inspection - SFGate - March 19th, 2020
- Stevens: Is there room for extremists on social media? - Oregon Daily Emerald - March 12th, 2020
- Anacapa View residents forced to pay for years of neglect - Tri County Sentry - March 10th, 2020
- Leaky boot among host of car troubles - SowetanLIVE - March 3rd, 2020
- Bangladesh is doing well - The Navhind Times - February 23rd, 2020
- Wikipedia Is the Last Best Place on the Internet - WIRED - February 22nd, 2020
- Commentary: 'Parasite' became an Oscars success story overnight because of years of Asian American support - The San Diego Union-Tribune - February 15th, 2020
- Your letters to the editor: Shame on Evers for ditching Pence - Madison.com - February 1st, 2020
- Letters: The democratic freedom to decide Britains policies is the fundamental point of Brexit - Telegraph.co.uk - January 31st, 2020
- Modi-Shahs Delhi dislike found its new target just in time for election Shaheen Bagh - ThePrint - January 29th, 2020
- The thin line of healing - The Hindu - January 27th, 2020
- Why there is a need for Home Improvement? - RecentlyHeard.com - January 24th, 2020
- On the job in Illinois - The Baxter Bulletin - January 20th, 2020
- The case for ... making low-tech 'dumb' cities instead of 'smart' ones - The Guardian - January 15th, 2020
- Modi-Shahs BJP govt has failed Indias youth and is now stuck fighting them - ThePrint - January 13th, 2020
- The Modi-Shah BJP government has failed and is now fighting India's youth - Daily Gaming Worlld - January 12th, 2020
- 7 Mistakes To Avoid While Renovating Your Living Room - RecentlyHeard.com - January 4th, 2020
- Rollins, Inc. - ROL - Stock Price Today - Zacks - January 2nd, 2020
- What went right in the past decade around the world - The Times - January 2nd, 2020
- Burt Prelutsky: Beware the Unelected! - Patriot Post - December 16th, 2019
- A threat to the idea of South Asia - Dhaka Tribune - December 16th, 2019
- So that nobody can be somebody - Telegraph India - December 15th, 2019
- Mistrust and confusion - The Hindu - December 15th, 2019
- Defend against Chronic Wasting Disease this fall | Sports - Richmond Register - December 1st, 2019
- How the BHU students were demonised and the ones who refused to be secularised unfairly called bigots - OpIndia - November 20th, 2019
- Wood Destroying Insect Inspection Reports | Arizona ... - October 30th, 2019
- Cheap DIY Termite Treatment, save - forums.whirlpool.net.au - October 7th, 2019
- Primitive Technology: Termite clay kiln & pottery - YouTube - October 5th, 2019
- Gorongosa National Park - Wikipedia - October 4th, 2019
- Housewraps, Felt Paper and Weather Penetration Barriers ... - October 4th, 2019
- Second Opinion Termite & Pest Control - Yelp - September 13th, 2019
- Pacific Termite - 46 Photos & 78 Reviews - Pest Control ... - May 17th, 2019
- Opinions On Termite Stakes For DIY Pest Control - Pest ... - May 4th, 2019
- Nix Termite - 63 Photos & 214 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 25th, 2019
- Termite Biz - 21 Photos & 132 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 12th, 2019
- What Termites Can Teach Us About Cooling Our Buildings ... - March 30th, 2019
- Termite Ceiling Damage Signs and Symptoms | Terminix - March 16th, 2019
- Go Pest Bendigo - Termite inspections & treatments - March 12th, 2019
- Top 6 Best Termite Treatments | Updated for 2019 - March 9th, 2019
- Borax, Fleas and Misconceptions | Thrasher Termite & Pest ... - February 12th, 2019
- Termite Control South Africa - pestcontrolpros.co.za - February 2nd, 2019
- Termite Dream Meaning and Interpretations | Dream Stop - January 26th, 2019
- Termite Chemical Information - Termite Specialist - January 24th, 2019
- Alien (creature in Alien franchise) - Wikipedia - January 21st, 2019
- Life With No Males? These Termites Show That Its Possible ... - October 5th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Spectracide 95853 Terminate ... - September 27th, 2018
- Home | Thrasher Termite and Pest Control -- Best in San Diego - August 24th, 2018
- The Termite Danger Of Stucco And Veneer | Pest Cemetery - August 18th, 2018
- Arizona - Termite Public Service - August 12th, 2018
- Xtermite - 68 Reviews - Pest Control - 10107 Prospect Ave ... - July 1st, 2018
- Drywood Termite Tent Fumigation vs No Tent Termite ... - April 1st, 2018
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor - FiveCentNickel - February 19th, 2018
- Termite Control Stockton CA Call 916-584-9535 Termite ... - January 31st, 2018
- Reviews | Clegg's Termite and Pest Control - January 2nd, 2018