As hunters return to the woods and fields for the fall seasons, the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources is increasing its efforts to monitor the state for chronic wasting disease (CWD) at the same time.
Seventeen years ago, the department recognized an encroaching threat to Kentucky's deer and elk herds and took steps to prevent the spread of CWD to the state. Now, in 2019, the agency is calling on hunters to be the next line of defense.
Chronic wasting disease, the always-fatal neurological disease that affects deer, elk, moose and caribou, has spread to more than half of the states in the U.S. since its discovery in the late 1960s in Colorado.
It has never been detected in Kentucky but virtually surrounds it. Six of the seven bordering states have CWD.
"Our department has tested more than 30,000 deer and elk for CWD since 2002 and plan to increase our monitoring this fall," said Gabe Jenkins, deer and elk program coordinator for the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources.
"We cannot let our guards down, and we ask that people let us know what they're seeing across the state."
The Kentucky Department of Agriculture and the Kentucky Department for Public Health (DPH) understand the potential threat CWD presents and are partnering with Kentucky Fish and Wildlife.
"Although there currently is no scientific evidence that CWD has or can spread to people, we recommend that human exposure to animals infected by CWD be avoided as we continue to evaluate any potential health risk," said Dr. Angela Dearinger, Commissioner at the Kentucky Department for Public Health.
The movement of deer is a primary reason for the rapid spread of CWD. An infected deer or elk can transmit the disease whether it is alive or dead.
Because of this risk, Kentucky has made it illegal to bring whole carcasses of deer, elk, moose and caribou into the state.
Motorists who see a carcass being transported across the state line into Kentucky should report the sighting immediately by calling 1-800-25-ALERT (1-800-252-5378).
Likewise, a deer or elk with a livestock tag on its ear could be escaped from a captive facility and should be reported to Kentucky Fish and Wildlife.
Kentucky's deer and elk herds are the result of many years' of effort and vital to the state's economy, contributing an estimated $550 million each year.
"Chronic wasting disease threatens what we've all worked so hard to establish with the deer and elk herds," Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commissioner Rich Storm said. "Our agency does not take it lightly, and neither should sportsmen and sportswomen. It's an issue of importance to everyone. We want future generations to enjoy what we have right now."
Another way hunters can help this fall is to alert Kentucky Fish and Wildlife of any sick deer or elk.
This can be done by calling 1-800-858-1549 from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on weekdays or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Emailed reports should include your name, phone number and county where the sick deer or elk was observed.
Officials with the departments for Public Health and Fish and Wildlife Resources also advise hunters to take the following precautions when handling deer and elk:
Wear latex or rubber gloves to minimize exposure.
Bone out all meat and avoid severing bones.
Minimize handling of brain, tonsils, spinal cord and lymph glands.
Thoroughly wash hands and sanitize all tools used.
Process deer individually and add no meat from other animals.
Do not split the backbone.
Contact Kentucky Fish and Wildlife to report sick deer or elk (1-800-858-1549)
Learn more about CWD and the state's response plan should it be detected in Kentucky online at fw.ky.gov/cwd.
- The case for ... making low-tech 'dumb' cities instead of 'smart' ones - The Guardian - January 15th, 2020
- Modi-Shahs BJP govt has failed Indias youth and is now stuck fighting them - ThePrint - January 13th, 2020
- The Modi-Shah BJP government has failed and is now fighting India's youth - Daily Gaming Worlld - January 12th, 2020
- 7 Mistakes To Avoid While Renovating Your Living Room - RecentlyHeard.com - January 4th, 2020
- Rollins, Inc. - ROL - Stock Price Today - Zacks - January 2nd, 2020
- What went right in the past decade around the world - The Times - January 2nd, 2020
- Burt Prelutsky: Beware the Unelected! - Patriot Post - December 16th, 2019
- A threat to the idea of South Asia - Dhaka Tribune - December 16th, 2019
- So that nobody can be somebody - Telegraph India - December 15th, 2019
- Mistrust and confusion - The Hindu - December 15th, 2019
- How the BHU students were demonised and the ones who refused to be secularised unfairly called bigots - OpIndia - November 20th, 2019
- Wood Destroying Insect Inspection Reports | Arizona ... - October 30th, 2019
- Cheap DIY Termite Treatment, save - forums.whirlpool.net.au - October 7th, 2019
- Primitive Technology: Termite clay kiln & pottery - YouTube - October 5th, 2019
- Gorongosa National Park - Wikipedia - October 4th, 2019
- Housewraps, Felt Paper and Weather Penetration Barriers ... - October 4th, 2019
- Second Opinion Termite & Pest Control - Yelp - September 13th, 2019
- Pacific Termite - 46 Photos & 78 Reviews - Pest Control ... - May 17th, 2019
- Opinions On Termite Stakes For DIY Pest Control - Pest ... - May 4th, 2019
- Nix Termite - 63 Photos & 214 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 25th, 2019
- Termite Biz - 21 Photos & 132 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 12th, 2019
- What Termites Can Teach Us About Cooling Our Buildings ... - March 30th, 2019
- Termite Ceiling Damage Signs and Symptoms | Terminix - March 16th, 2019
- Go Pest Bendigo - Termite inspections & treatments - March 12th, 2019
- Top 6 Best Termite Treatments | Updated for 2019 - March 9th, 2019
- Borax, Fleas and Misconceptions | Thrasher Termite & Pest ... - February 12th, 2019
- Termite Control South Africa - pestcontrolpros.co.za - February 2nd, 2019
- Termite Dream Meaning and Interpretations | Dream Stop - January 26th, 2019
- Termite Chemical Information - Termite Specialist - January 24th, 2019
- Alien (creature in Alien franchise) - Wikipedia - January 21st, 2019
- Life With No Males? These Termites Show That Its Possible ... - October 5th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Spectracide 95853 Terminate ... - September 27th, 2018
- Home | Thrasher Termite and Pest Control -- Best in San Diego - August 24th, 2018
- The Termite Danger Of Stucco And Veneer | Pest Cemetery - August 18th, 2018
- Arizona - Termite Public Service - August 12th, 2018
- Xtermite - 68 Reviews - Pest Control - 10107 Prospect Ave ... - July 1st, 2018
- Drywood Termite Tent Fumigation vs No Tent Termite ... - April 1st, 2018
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor - FiveCentNickel - February 19th, 2018
- Termite Control Stockton CA Call 916-584-9535 Termite ... - January 31st, 2018
- Reviews | Clegg's Termite and Pest Control - January 2nd, 2018
- The pest Company Kordon Termite Barriers - December 29th, 2017
- Termite life cycle: what are the stages, when do eggs ... - December 16th, 2017
- How To Get Rid Of Termites : termites in house | termite ... - November 22nd, 2017
- Consumer Update: Termite Baits - University of Kentucky - October 23rd, 2017
- Termite treatments for inside and around the home - October 1st, 2017
- Columnist Christie Moulton: Impressions of Vietnam, a half century after the war - GazetteNET - September 6th, 2017
- It has a history ... - Palo Alto Online - September 3rd, 2017
- Farce and frivolity | Opinion, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com - Philippine Star - September 2nd, 2017
- Be careful in the company - Valencia County News Bulletin - August 31st, 2017
- Short-term rentals create a long-term problem: soaring taxes for the rest of us - The Lens - August 26th, 2017
- Turnout low at first public hearing on Killeen budget - The Killeen Daily Herald - August 24th, 2017
- 'Nuno sa' internet - Inquirer.net - July 12th, 2017
- A 'Nature School' for curious visitors - The Hindu - July 6th, 2017
- I spent three days as a hunter-gatherer to see if it would improve my gut health - eNCA (satire) - July 4th, 2017
- Editorial: Gigs and garlands - News Chief - July 4th, 2017
- Editorial: Gigs and garlands - The Ledger - July 3rd, 2017
- Adjudicated, blighted property eyed by city - Crowley Post-Signal - June 28th, 2017
- Javed Akhtar, Paresh Rawal react to lynching cases | The Indian ... - The Indian Express - June 24th, 2017
- Termite Inspections: Pre Home Buying Termite Inspection - June 22nd, 2017
- Hospital Hoarding Announces NO Commission to Doctors, rakes ... - Medical Dialogues - June 19th, 2017
- Robert Lamoureux: Your Home Improvement - Santa Clarita Valley Signal - June 18th, 2017
- Mike James: The human factor - The Independent - June 16th, 2017
- Hospital Hoarding Announces NO Commission to Doctors, rakes controversy - Medical Dialogues - June 14th, 2017
- The bond between animals and man - The Straits Times - June 13th, 2017
- Opinion: Mexico's hellish drug war is getting worse, but why? - The Yucatan Times - June 10th, 2017
- The growing danger of terrorism - The Manila Times - June 6th, 2017
- The joys of living encased in concrete block: Letters - Orlando Sentinel - June 3rd, 2017
- Frequently Asked Questions - Specialist Termite Control - June 1st, 2017
- Cowboys May Ride Off Into It - New York Times - June 1st, 2017
- African desert has its own X-files - Independent Online - May 30th, 2017
- Something bigger than ourselves - Lake Country Calendar - May 25th, 2017
- Termite FAQ - DIY - Dr Don's Termite Pages - May 24th, 2017
- Kato Secondary School - Stabroek News - Stabroek News - May 24th, 2017
- Kato Secondary School - Stabroek News - May 21st, 2017
- 'Problem Home,' Chapter 2: A history of challenging local government - Los Angeles Times - May 19th, 2017
- FAGERLUND: Bugman explains pests - Rio Rancho Observer - May 15th, 2017
- LOWEST PRICE FOR VIAGRA 100MG - cialis prescription online - State Column - May 12th, 2017
- Community needs to support Etowah facility efforts - The Daily Post-Athenian - May 11th, 2017
- Neighbors want Miami commission to scuttle part of Avra Jain and Mattoni's Bayside Motor Inn redevelopment - The Real Deal Magazine - May 9th, 2017
- SIMON LINCOLN READER: Let Malikane be hoist by his own penchant for revolution - Business Day (registration) - May 5th, 2017