(JTA) Like many others, I quickly saw that something important was missing from the New York Times op-ed this week about the 25th anniversary of the Million Man March.
The piece, by Natalie Hopkinson, a professor at Howard University, highlighted the behind-the-scenes roles played by Black women like Cora Masters Barry and Betty Shabazz, the widow of Malcolm X. As the piece notes, hundreds of thousands of previously unregistered Black men were registered to vote, thanks largely to the tireless efforts of Barry and others.
But while the piece achieved its goal of rewriting the Million Man March story to include new voices, it also contained a shocking omission. It fails to mention or even scratch the surface of the serial bigotry of the marchs main organizer: Louis Farrakhan, the longtime leader of the Nation of Islam.
The op-ed does note that Farrakhan needed the help of Barry and other women to massage his messaging around the march, which was viewed, as the writer points out, as exclusionary and sexist. And while that may be true, it does not even begin to qualify as a passing glance at the record of bigotry that belongs to Farrakhan, the anti-Semitic leader of the Nation of Islam.
If you were to only read Hopkinsons account of Farrakhan and the 1995 march, you most likely would walk away with a lukewarm impression of the man. But as with any narrative around a monumental historical event or person, it is necessary at minimum to be willing to acknowledge the significant negative or uncomfortable aspects surrounding such leaders, so readers are able to glean a clearer picture of what is true. This is where Hopkinson, and The New York Times, dropped the ball completely.
So lets set the record straight.
Louis Farrakhan, who is 87 years old, has been trafficking in hate, anti-Semitism, homophobia, racism and misogyny since long before the Million Man March in 1995 and continues to do so today.
In February of 1995, eight months prior to the march, Farrakhan suggested that it was Jews who got America into World War II and that international bankers, an anti-Semitic dog whistle, financed both sides of the war effort.
In recent years, Farrakhan has embarked on a wide-ranging campaign specifically targeting the Jewish community, a campaign that has featured some of the most hateful speeches of his tenure as head of the Nation of Islam.
He has alleged that Jews are messengers from Satan, sent to attack the messiah. He has stated that the Jewish people were responsible for the slave trade and that they conspire to control the government, the media and Hollywood, as well as various black individuals and organizations. He has likened Jews to vermin and termites, using the kind of dehumanizing slander pioneered by Nazi Germany. Indeed, in an October 2018 speech marking the 23rd anniversary of the Million Man March, Farrakhan told his followers, When they talk about Farrakhan, call me a hater, you know how they do call me an anti-Semite. Stop it, Im anti-termite!
Farrakhan does not limit his bigotry to Jewish people. He has referred to the LGBTQ+ community as degenerative crap, described homosexuality as having been created by Satan and used scripture to justify the demonization of gay and lesbian people. In 2009 he said, You think you know Jesus Christ? If you knew him, why is there so much drunkenness, so much drugs, so much fornication, so much adultery, so much homosexuality, so much lesbianism, so much murder, so much crime?
There are plenty more examples of Farrakhans bigotry, and they are not hard to find.
Even as we still mourn the late civil rights icon Rep. John Lewis, we should remember that Lewis declined the opportunity to speak at the march. He wrote in Newsweek that he could not overlook past statements by Louis Farrakhan and others associated with the Nation of Islam which are divisive and bigoted. Lewis said that the march was fatally undermined by its chief sponsor.
In running this piece, the Times is guilty of the sin of omission. It failed to make clear that Farrakhan is an avowed bigot, one who may draw applause in some quarters but who has been rejected in mainstream circles for decades because of his unapologetic prejudice. Running this piece without any mention of his history only further legitimizes an anti-Semite and hateful figure. In short, excusing his intolerance by overlooking it makes it more acceptable for other leaders to hold such dangerous views.
We can speak fondly of, remember and celebrate landmark historical moments. But it is irresponsible and inexcusable to ignore hatred hiding in plain sight, particularly considering the context. As The New York Times itself has reported, anti-Semitic incidents surged in 2019, reaching a 40-year high. And the tri-state area from which the New York Times draws its legitimacy experienced some of the worst anti-Jewish acts in recent memory, including a wave of assaults in Brooklyn; a shooting in Jersey City, New Jersey, that left three people dead in a kosher supermarket, and a stabbing in Monsey, New York, that injured four and left a rabbi in a coma who later succumbed to his wounds.
Every day, we witness attempts to rewrite, revise or soften the most difficult aspects of American history. In recent years, The New York Times admirably has sought to use its platform and voice to right these wrongs. And yet that is why this op-ed, one that falls so dramatically short of their own standards, demands not just a robust correction but an internal investigation to ensure it never happens again.
The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of JTA or its parent company, 70 Faces Media.
- HAPPY HANDYMAN: Simple projects that are money savers - Houston Chronicle - November 23rd, 2020
- From Gombe to the Union's Hawking Fellowship: A look at Jane Goodall's remarkable career - Varsity Online - November 3rd, 2020
- Palace invasion: When the gods go on protest - Guardian - October 30th, 2020
- Sixt generates positive earnings in the third quarter; in view of the currently drastically worsening effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, no forecast... - October 22nd, 2020
- Here's a list of September inflation rates for Canadian provinces - Yahoo Canada Finance - October 22nd, 2020
- Letters to the editor, Oct. 14, 2020 | Letters To Editor - The Daily Courier - October 16th, 2020
- 2021 Audi E-Tron GT to get RS hero and jet sounds - CarAdvice - October 13th, 2020
- A Day in the Life of the Grand Strands Snake Chasers - grandstrandmag.com - October 8th, 2020
- Teche Sketches: 'Mostly it is loss which teaches us about the worth of things' - The Daily Iberian - October 6th, 2020
- Rajnath Singhs China performance shows why Modi and Amit Shah need him - ThePrint - September 26th, 2020
- The saga of Decriminalization of Electoral Politics in India and the way forward - 244th Law Commission Report - India Legal - September 21st, 2020
- Handloom Day announcements look like a mix of the good and the bad, but are mostly foggy - The Indian Express - August 22nd, 2020
- The CarAdvice team name their favourite car they've ever driven ... and more - CarAdvice - August 22nd, 2020
- Termite Control Products and Services Market Competition Landscape by Key Players, Growth Strategy, Business Opportunities, Trends and Forecast Study... - August 20th, 2020
- Termite Monitoring Service Market Projected to Witness Vigorous Expansion by 2020-2026 | , DoMyOwn, Specialist Termite Control - Bulletin Line - August 17th, 2020
- A Spokesperson Died After A TV Debate. Will We Do Nothing? - NDTV - August 14th, 2020
- Column: Avoiding self-care can be just as damaging to loved ones - Alton Telegraph - August 6th, 2020
- The Bible doesn't allow divorce on grounds of mutual love that has died - Brunswick News - August 6th, 2020
- Restrictions on religious shops, mrityubhoj and expensive weddings - Avenue Mail - July 6th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor | Local Editorials and Opinion | tucson.com - Arizona Daily Star - July 5th, 2020
- From Hormonal Balance To Preventing UTI, The Many Ways Khus Roots Can Benefit You - NDTV Doctor - June 24th, 2020
- Repairing Termite Damage: Can Termite Damage Be Fixed? - June 21st, 2020
- Conservative Jews: Do you care about Israel? Then vote Trump out - Forward - June 21st, 2020
- Millions of Indians suffered because of administrative failures on a criminal scale - The Indian Express - June 15th, 2020
- Donald Trump is having a bad week. He must find an Amit Shah of his own - ThePrint - June 4th, 2020
- Nokia 5.1 Plus now receiving Android 10 in the latest update - News Lagoon - May 29th, 2020
- Termite Control Market Recent Trends and Developments, Challenges and Opportunities, key drivers and Restraints over the Forecast Period 2020-2026|... - May 23rd, 2020
- Termite infestations in your home: How to find, treat and ... - May 16th, 2020
- When termites swarm, don't hide; track them down ... - April 30th, 2020
- Seth Green bio: age, height, net worth, wife, movies and TV shows - Latest News in Nigeria & Breaking Naija News 24/7 | LEGIT.NG - April 30th, 2020
- Baiting Vs Liquid for Termites, Which one is better ... - April 27th, 2020
- The Rich Are Fleeing the Plagued City, Again - TheStranger.com - April 18th, 2020
- The worst holiday destinations, according to Telegraph readers - Telegraph.co.uk - April 18th, 2020
- News, Finance and Lifestyle - Yahoo Singapore News - April 12th, 2020
- Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Drug Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2026 & Top Key Players are Roche, Boehringer Ingelheim,... - April 9th, 2020
- Letter: Editorial cartoon was not a collectable one - The Westerly Sun - April 9th, 2020
- 15 ways to practice social distance in Jersey and still have fun - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - March 20th, 2020
- Get 2nd opinion on termite inspection - SFGate - March 19th, 2020
- Stevens: Is there room for extremists on social media? - Oregon Daily Emerald - March 12th, 2020
- Anacapa View residents forced to pay for years of neglect - Tri County Sentry - March 10th, 2020
- Leaky boot among host of car troubles - SowetanLIVE - March 3rd, 2020
- Bangladesh is doing well - The Navhind Times - February 23rd, 2020
- Wikipedia Is the Last Best Place on the Internet - WIRED - February 22nd, 2020
- Commentary: 'Parasite' became an Oscars success story overnight because of years of Asian American support - The San Diego Union-Tribune - February 15th, 2020
- Your letters to the editor: Shame on Evers for ditching Pence - Madison.com - February 1st, 2020
- Letters: The democratic freedom to decide Britains policies is the fundamental point of Brexit - Telegraph.co.uk - January 31st, 2020
- Modi-Shahs Delhi dislike found its new target just in time for election Shaheen Bagh - ThePrint - January 29th, 2020
- The thin line of healing - The Hindu - January 27th, 2020
- Why there is a need for Home Improvement? - RecentlyHeard.com - January 24th, 2020
- On the job in Illinois - The Baxter Bulletin - January 20th, 2020
- The case for ... making low-tech 'dumb' cities instead of 'smart' ones - The Guardian - January 15th, 2020
- Modi-Shahs BJP govt has failed Indias youth and is now stuck fighting them - ThePrint - January 13th, 2020
- The Modi-Shah BJP government has failed and is now fighting India's youth - Daily Gaming Worlld - January 12th, 2020
- 7 Mistakes To Avoid While Renovating Your Living Room - RecentlyHeard.com - January 4th, 2020
- Rollins, Inc. - ROL - Stock Price Today - Zacks - January 2nd, 2020
- What went right in the past decade around the world - The Times - January 2nd, 2020
- Burt Prelutsky: Beware the Unelected! - Patriot Post - December 16th, 2019
- A threat to the idea of South Asia - Dhaka Tribune - December 16th, 2019
- So that nobody can be somebody - Telegraph India - December 15th, 2019
- Mistrust and confusion - The Hindu - December 15th, 2019
- Defend against Chronic Wasting Disease this fall | Sports - Richmond Register - December 1st, 2019
- How the BHU students were demonised and the ones who refused to be secularised unfairly called bigots - OpIndia - November 20th, 2019
- Wood Destroying Insect Inspection Reports | Arizona ... - October 30th, 2019
- Cheap DIY Termite Treatment, save - forums.whirlpool.net.au - October 7th, 2019
- Primitive Technology: Termite clay kiln & pottery - YouTube - October 5th, 2019
- Gorongosa National Park - Wikipedia - October 4th, 2019
- Housewraps, Felt Paper and Weather Penetration Barriers ... - October 4th, 2019
- Second Opinion Termite & Pest Control - Yelp - September 13th, 2019
- Pacific Termite - 46 Photos & 78 Reviews - Pest Control ... - May 17th, 2019
- Opinions On Termite Stakes For DIY Pest Control - Pest ... - May 4th, 2019
- Nix Termite - 63 Photos & 214 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 25th, 2019
- Termite Biz - 21 Photos & 132 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 12th, 2019
- What Termites Can Teach Us About Cooling Our Buildings ... - March 30th, 2019
- Termite Ceiling Damage Signs and Symptoms | Terminix - March 16th, 2019
- Go Pest Bendigo - Termite inspections & treatments - March 12th, 2019
- Top 6 Best Termite Treatments | Updated for 2019 - March 9th, 2019
- Borax, Fleas and Misconceptions | Thrasher Termite & Pest ... - February 12th, 2019
- Termite Control South Africa - pestcontrolpros.co.za - February 2nd, 2019
- Termite Dream Meaning and Interpretations | Dream Stop - January 26th, 2019
- Termite Chemical Information - Termite Specialist - January 24th, 2019