If you have a very big house and termites infest it, your property will be highly damaged. Termite fumigation is one of the most expensive yet the most effective ways of getting rid of termites in case of a large infestation.
This article describes the process, the costs associated with the procedures, safety of using this method and cleaning up after tenting
Also referred to as termite tenting, termite fumigation is a process which involves sealing of your home using tarps and letting in a fumigant which eliminates any termites present.
It involves killing of termites using a poisonous gas. Vikane is the fumigant which in most cases is released into the structure to kill termites.
When the professional fumigating your house introduces the fumigant into the sealed structure, it circulates all through the house ensuring it gets into any cracks and crevices.
When termites inhale the fumigant, they are deprived of oxygen and this causes their nervous system to fail and they suffocate to death.
When the fumigation expert is through with the process and is certain all the termites have been exposed to the fumigant, he or she removes the termite fumigation tent.
Upon removal of the tarps, the fumigant disperses into the air and should be given a minimum of 6 hours to totally aerate the house.
It is not until the expert carries out a test on each room to ensure the fumigant is totally gone that you can get into the house.
Most people do not like their homes being fumigated probably because of the procedures involved and the need to vacate homes for several hours.
However, there are cases where fumigation is necessary especially if you want to eliminate termites for good. Below are some of the cases which necessitate termite fumigation;
Termite fumigation process takes an average of two to three days. This will depend on the level of infestation as well as the size of your house.
Once the termite fumigation process is done, the termites that were in the house will all be killed. Although the termites do not die immediately, they will eventually die before the two or three days are over.
Termite tenting kills termites but does not prevent future infestations. This is considered to be one of the drawbacks that come with this method of termite treatment.
Termite tenting is one of the most expensive termite treatment methods. The average termite fumigation cost is $1200 to $2500 in the case of house of 1250 square foot.
For a 2500 square foot house, the cost is slightly higher and is around $2200 to $3800.
This cost however varies depending on several factors with the main one being the size of your house.
If your house is very big, you expect that you will pay more money for the treatment. This is usually because, not only will the chemicals used be more but also the work done is more when compared to treating a small house.
The level of infestation is a determinant of how much you will incur in the tenting process. So much of the chemicals have to be used if an old termite infestation is to be terminated. A new infestation will be cheaper to fumigate.
Another major factor is the company you are working with. Some Termite treatment companies are more expensive than others. You are advised to always compare the available company prices alongside their charges.
You could also look at reviews from people who had their houses fumigated for termites by different companies.
Before beginning the fumigation process, the professional will require you to do some preparation so that you make it easy for him to complete the process successfully. Below are some of the things he requires you to do;
For the process to be a total success, it may take between 24 to 72 hours depending on the size of the house. For those hours, you must stay away from your home since the chemicals used as fumigants are very harmful to your health.
If your entire house is infested with termites, you must allow for the fumigant to get into all the rooms.
Even though the poisonous gas used in the process can penetrate into the room under the locked doors, it will be faster and more effective if you allow the penetration of the gas to be through the entire door. A bigger portion of the room will be covered in a shorter time.
Put the food in containers to avoid the exposure to the fumigant. You are actually advised to take the food with you when you leave.
If that is not possible, you should ensure the containers in which you store the food are airtight such that no chemicals can penetrate through.
Once the chemicals are released into your house, it should stay without escaping through any openings.
This is only possible if you cover any openings on the walls of your house that you may have seen in the past. The professional will also help you trace any other cracks that may let out the gas.
The chemicals used in fumigation will destroy any living thing that is left in the house.
Take your pets with you and cover up any plants too close to your house to avoid any harm that maybe caused by the fumigation chemicals.
You are required to organize your house in such a manner that the professionals fumigating your house can move freely when setting up the tent.
Since the tent will be set such that it covers your house from outside, the satellites and antennae are likely to be broken. They may also be a hindrance to those setting up the tent so ensure you remove them.
Vikane and Zythor are the two main fumigants used in the tenting process. They are not detectable by people during the fumigation process since they are colorless and odorless. These fumigants do not cause any staining, they are non-flammable and non-corrosive.
Chloropicrin, the warning agent released before the fumigant is a colorless liquid that has a very strong odor. When used at low concentrations, it causes tearing of the eye.
This is why it will definitely reveal if there are any people or pets that are still in the house before the fumigator releases the other chemicals.
Apart from the chemicals, the fumigator needs the tents and a hose to channel the chemicals into the tented house.
He or she will also be equipped with chemical detectors which will be used in the end as an assurance that there are no chemicals left in the house. Below are some of the equipment used;
It measures the levels of fumigant concentration when the termite tenting process is ongoing.
They detect any gases that may be leaking from the treatment area.
It is used by the fumigator before he lets you in so that he checks for extremely low concentrations of the chemicals.
When you are through with preparation and the professionals have all necessary tools and chemicals ready, they follow the following steps to complete the fumigation process;
Using Vicane Fumigant
The chemicals used in the fumigation process are very dangerous. This is however in the case where they are used in high concentrations.
In case you or your pets get exposed to high concentrations of the fumigants, you may lose your life.
You are therefore advised to follow all the instructions given by the fumigator.
If you are asked to stay away from your house for two days, stay away since that is good for your health. The fumigators are very careful and they ensure that no person is exposed to the chemicals.
To ensure no person is in the house, the safety measure that fumigators use is releasing the chloropicrin which causes tearing; as mentioned above .Any person or pet in the house that gets exposed to it will definitely get out.
After the fumigation process, there are things you need to do as soon as you move back to your house. Below are some of the requirements after termite fumigation;
One of the things that most termite treatment companies may not tell you is that, after termite fumigation, some insects may suddenly show up.
The most common insects that are seen around the house after the termite tenting process are ants. Ants invade your house at that particular time so that they can feed on the dead termites.
The ants will stay in the galleries that were formerly infested with termites and will only leave once they are certain all the dead termites are cleaned up.
If you wish to keep these ants way, therefore, you should do the cleanup job yourself and ensure ants have nothing to feast on. If the ants are stubborn, you can use ant killer.
There are many other methods that can be used to eliminate termites other than termite tenting. They have been discussed widely in most of the other articles and they include the following;
All these methods are effective but you must ensure that the choice you make on which method to use is not only effective but also economical.
Always remember that some methods require a backup since when used alone they are not effective.
Moreover, some methods are better when used for a small scale infestation than a large scale infestation.
- Pest Control Perth | Allpest - October 3rd, 2019
- Preparing for Tent Fumigation of Your Home - September 28th, 2019
- Fumigating and Tenting a Home for Drywood Termites ... - Orkin - September 14th, 2019
- 11 Steps to Prepare for Termite Tenting | Command Pest Control - September 13th, 2019
- Termite Tenting Preparation: Fumigation Checklist, Side ... - April 6th, 2019
- The Fumigation Process - quantumtermite.com - April 6th, 2019
- Termite Fumigation: preparation stage, how to prepare for ... - March 16th, 2019
- Termite Professionals - Broward, Miami-Dade, Palm Beach ... - March 16th, 2019
- Orange Oil Termite Control Orange Oil Termite Control ... - March 12th, 2019
- Fumigation Service Pest Control Termite Treatment, Bed ... - January 25th, 2019
- Termite Fumigation - Southern California Exterminators - November 24th, 2018
- 21 Best Pest Control Companies - Newark NJ | Exterminators - November 9th, 2018
- Termite Fumigation Termite Control Exterminators - May 20th, 2018
- Termite heat treatment vs fumigation: pros and cons - May 15th, 2018
- Termite Fumigation San Luis Obispo, CA | Termite ... - April 16th, 2018
- Termite Fumigation - Proven Termite Solutions - March 27th, 2018
- LD Termite | Complete Pest and Termite Control - February 14th, 2018
- How Much Does Termite Fumigation Cost? - Networx - February 5th, 2018
- Fumigating and Tenting a Home for Drywood Termites - February 5th, 2018
- TERMITE CONTROL EXTERMINATORS - Gopher Patrol - February 1st, 2018
- POST FUMIGATION FAQs - Kama'aina Termite And Pest Control - February 1st, 2018
- Orange Oil vs Fumigation - Natural Termite Treatment - December 29th, 2017
- Termites and Fumigation - Tri-County Pest Control Inc. - December 22nd, 2017
- Understanding Tent Fumigation | Command Pest Control - December 7th, 2017
- Fumigations - Summit Termite & Pest Control - December 7th, 2017
- Exterminator When is Fumigation Necessary? - December 7th, 2017
- Fumigation Services & Tenting | Call PestMax at (239) 454-4888 - December 7th, 2017
- Fumigation : Termite Fumigation : San Diego Fumigation : Los ... - November 26th, 2017
- Tent Fumigation - Terma Guard - October 23rd, 2017
- Termite & Bed Bug Fumigation Services | Geiger's Pest - October 23rd, 2017
- Best 30 Termite in Ashburn, Virginia with Reviews - YP.com - October 1st, 2017
- Fumigation Service Market Projected to Breed Steadily for Comprehensive Insights 2015 - 2025 - Digital Journal - September 6th, 2017
- Termite Fumigation Treatments In San Diego, Orange County ... - September 4th, 2017
- Termite Fumigation Alternatives in Tampa | Anti-Pesto - September 4th, 2017
- Fumigation Service Market : Growth, Demand and Key Players to 2025 - satPRnews (press release) - September 1st, 2017
- Arrow Environmental Services Hires Three Branch Operations Managers - PCT Magazine - August 25th, 2017
- Fumigation Service Market Report Offers Intelligence and Forecast till (2015-2025) - satPRnews (press release) - August 21st, 2017
- Bannon is gone from the White House, but he has already laid eggs in everything - Washington Post - August 19th, 2017
- Global Agricultural Fumigants Market - By Type, Application, Form, Regions - Market Size, Demand Forecasts, Industry ... - Business Wire (press... - August 18th, 2017
- Fumigation Service Market Report Offers Intelligence and Forecast ... - MilTech - August 17th, 2017
- Temporary Relocation For Santa Monica Tenants - Santa Monica Daily Press - August 12th, 2017
- Tents at the Pruneyard? Blame termites - The Mercury News - August 9th, 2017
- Bitten by the bug, renowned termite killer, researcher retires from University of California - East Bay Times - August 5th, 2017
- Bitten by the bug, renowned termite killer, researcher retires from ... - The Mercury News - August 5th, 2017
- What You Should Know About Termite Fumigation | Enlighten Me - July 30th, 2017
- Burglars Break Into Fumigated Home In Harbor Gateway North - CBS Los Angeles - July 30th, 2017
- Intensive Pest Control Service Offers Free Termite Inspections In Long Beach - Digital Journal - July 30th, 2017
- Fulton Speedway Ready For Topless Late Models And Yellow-Out Action Packed Race Night July 29 - Oswego Daily News - July 30th, 2017
- A new research report explores the Fumigation Service Market for ... - MilTech - July 6th, 2017
- India's Fumigation Rules Extended Amidst Uncertainty In Pulses Export - BW Businessworld - July 3rd, 2017
- Global Agricultural Fumigants Market 2017 Analysis, Segmentation, Competitors Analysis, Product Research, Trends ... - MilTech - June 30th, 2017
- St. Augustine's Lightner Museum fumigation begins Friday | WJAX-TV - ActionNewsJax.com - June 27th, 2017
- Dont Know if you Need Fumigation? - Pest Control Termite ... - June 23rd, 2017
- Global Fumigation Service Market Growth, Forecast and Value Chain 2014 to 2020 - Digital Journal - June 23rd, 2017
- Termite fumigation: what is tenting for termites? - pests.guru - June 23rd, 2017
- How to Prepare for a Termite Fumigation - June 16th, 2017
- Termite Fumigation Process - Termites: Control, Inspection ... - June 15th, 2017
- How Does Termite Heat Treatment Work? Heat Fumigation - June 10th, 2017
- Fumigation Service Market Size, Analysis, and Forecast Report 2015-2025 - LANews By Abhishek Budholiya (press release) (blog) - June 7th, 2017
- Getting Started: Why and How Add-Ons Help You Retain & Gain Customers - PCT Magazine - June 1st, 2017
- Caught on Camera: Thief targets home tented for termites in Carl ... - CBS 8 San Diego - May 25th, 2017
- Agricultural Fumigants Market- Analysis, Share & Trends from 2017 2024 - satPRnews (press release) - May 25th, 2017
- Rollins, Inc. (ROL) Reaches $42.15 52-Week High, Last Week ... - NormanObserver.com - May 23rd, 2017
- Best Secaucus Termite Treatment - Secaucus, NJ Termite ... - May 21st, 2017
- 'Recycling in Australia is dead in the water': three companies tackling our plastic addiction - The Guardian - May 21st, 2017
- When homeselling heroes come to the rescue - OCRegister - May 20th, 2017
- Interim CEO says ranch foundation remains in the black - Camarillo Acorn - May 19th, 2017
- Tips to keep from becoming victims of auto and home break-ins - Miami Herald - May 19th, 2017
- Fumigation | 4 Less Termite, Inc. - Termite Repair, Termite ... - May 11th, 2017
- The 10 Best Termite Companies in San Diego, CA 2017 - May 11th, 2017
- Termite Tenting & Fumigation Costs: Price of Home ... - May 10th, 2017
- Tasmanian design centre reopens after suspected termite alert in US artwork - ABC Online - April 23rd, 2017
- Oxnard Fire Station No. 1 to close temporarily - Ventura County Star - April 13th, 2017
- Big Clay Meets Big Legal Order - NY Times Gets Malibu Story Half ... - Malibu Times - April 11th, 2017
- School District Backs Down Under Community Pressure to Halt Chemical Spraying - Malibu Times - April 7th, 2017
- Apopka Police Department building closing for fumigation - WESH Orlando - April 6th, 2017
- Termite fumigation to shut down Apopka police headquarters for 3 ... - WFTV Orlando - April 5th, 2017
- termites My life's thoughts and tips - March 31st, 2017
- Anti- Termite Treatment, CnG Fumigation, & Pest ... - March 31st, 2017
- Termite fumigation to cost taxpayers $385k (from WJAX CBS ... - March 31st, 2017