As summer approaches, pests are never far behind. But predicting how thick the populations of unwanted insects or other animals will be and how much they will affect people's lives isn't easy.
One obstacle: Not everyone agrees on what the worst pests are.
Insects can annoy anyone at any time, and it seems that the insect doing the annoying at the moment is always the biggest pest, said Tim Gibb, a clinical professor in the entomology department at Purdue University and an insect diagnostician. Because people interact with insect pests differently, it is hard to come up with a 'most irritating' list.
Because certain insects can damage structures, food and crops, they are considered serious pests. Most people, however, do not encounter them directly, so they consider human nuisance or biting insects to be most problematic, he said.
Among those biting and stinging insects, he said, Mosquitoes and ticks are the most dangerous because they can spread diseases that maim or kill people. On the nuisance side stinging wasps and bees, biting flies such as horse or deer flies, termites, ants and cockroaches are probably the top of the list.
All of these are present every year and populations are often dependent upon springtime weather conditions not winters. For example, because mosquitoes breed in water, precipitation amounts, frequency and timing are all critical for their populations to surge. We only know these factors as or after they have occurred.
According to Billy Roark of Bug Free Pest Control in Fort Wayne, many people would think bedbugs are one of the most dangerous irritants.
But bedbugs don't carry diseases like many other pests, said Roark. Fleas, mosquitoes, roaches, ticks and rodents can carry disease and many other health conditions. In fact, the Health Department doesn't even consider bedbugs a health hazard.
Asked how prevalent any of these creepy-crawlers were expected to be this year, Roark said the weather conditions were a huge factor on this question.
Gibb was more specific about a 2017 vermin forecast.
I am seeing what appears to be a higher-than-normal population of ticks in Indiana this year, said Gibb.
We also know that newly-introduced pests will have higher populations than in the past.
Greg Harrell, of Hometown Pest Control in Fort Wayne, said bedbugs are the plague of his company.
They are the No. 1 call we get these days, said Harrell. They're extremely difficult to get rid of. The reason why is because they have developed resistance to most of the pesticides we have today. Heat seems to be the best choice. The equipment is costly and prices reflect that.
I would caution people not to fall for (over-the-counter) treatments because they are completely useless, so they shouldn't waste their money but instead have the work done by a reputable professional.
All pests can be controlled with client cooperation and professional pest control treatment, said Roark, who agreed that bedbugs were by far the most numerous calls to his company. He described one story from among his customers' experiences.
An elderly couple visited many doctors (allergy and dermatologists) and were prescribed meds for a skin issue, only to discover they had bedbugs. Their symptoms went away upon extermination.
Alison Roark, secretary of Bug Free Pest Control, said that it was normal to see bedbugs during treatment.
This is a three-visit application process, and some bugs will die off quicker than others, depending on when they cross the applied material, said Ali.
You can cut down on bites by sleeping in long sleeves and long pants. The bedbugs walk through the applied liquid material and that's what starts the dying process. Typically, the bugs are not on the center of the carpeting. They are more on the perimeter of the room and in furniture, although they can be in other places such as corners of the rooms and ceilings. They are attracted to carbon dioxide your breath and that's what draws them out from their hiding places, resulting in their crossing over the material to feed.
Your paper-product items (books, photos, etc.) should be in airtight bins or plastic bags tied at the top (and) can be stored in the freezer from 5-7 days to completely kill off the bugs. Clothing should be hot-washed and dried in the very hottest temperatures, put in trash bags and then can be put back AFTER the first application. Don't put your electronics in the freezer; they are fine where they are.
Since these little bloodsuckers only feed on blood, they have no interest in food, unlike other pests. If you see little black spots on your sheets or tiny blood stains, it is possible that you have bedbugs!
On other pests, Billy Roark offered some tips.
Make sure homes are sealed for rodents, have pets treated for fleas. Cleanliness is huge for roaches and rodents, and eliminating high grass and standing or stagnant water for mosquitoes, said Roark.
- Emergency Pest Control Vaughan, a Top Pest Removal Service in Vaughan, ON Announces They are Open for Business Despite the COVID-19 Pandemic - Press... - May 23rd, 2020
- Popcorn Talk Salutes The Most Badass Movie Mother, The Xenomorph Queen - Popcorn Talk Network - May 11th, 2020
- The global pest control services market is likely to grow at a CAGR of over 4% during the period 2019-2025 - Salamanca Press - November 19th, 2019
- The Global Pest Control Services Market to Reach Revenues of Over $30 Billion During by 2025 - Market Research by Arizton - PRNewswire - November 18th, 2019
- The Global Pest Control Services Market to Reach Revenues of Over $30 Billion During by 2025 - Market Research by Arizton - Yahoo Finance - November 17th, 2019
- Pest Control & Exterminator Austin TX | The Bug Master - October 20th, 2019
- Smithereen Pest Management Services | Bug Extermination ... - October 20th, 2019
- Top 10 Best Termite Control Companies in 2019 | Plans ... - October 7th, 2019
- BugBros Pest Control Services - Bed Bugs, Rodents, Roaches ... - October 4th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Termites - The Home Depot - October 2nd, 2019
- Carpet Beetle Infestation: How to Detect Signs of Beetle ... - October 1st, 2019
- Bedbugs - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - October 1st, 2019
- Rat Hole - Identify Rat Burrows, Nests, Habitats - September 30th, 2019
- Termite Inspection, Treatment and Control in NJ | ChemTec ... - September 14th, 2019
- Termite Extermination and Prevention I Contact Us I ... - September 13th, 2019
- Termite and Pest Control Los Angeles, CA - Western Exterminator - May 27th, 2019
- Termite Service | Termite Extermination | Termite Inspection - May 27th, 2019
- Termite Control & Removal | California - April 14th, 2019
- Four Steps Involved in a Termite Extermination Service ... - April 6th, 2019
- Termite Inspections, Extermination, & Damage Repair ... - April 4th, 2019
- Termite Treatments NJ | Get Rid Of Termites - April 1st, 2019
- Termite Spray | Termite Poison & Control Chemicals ... - March 6th, 2019
- Smithfield | Clegg's Termite and Pest Control - March 2nd, 2019
- The Best Termite Companies Near Me (with Free Estimates) - February 28th, 2019
- Pest Control Services in Indiana | Yes Pest Pros, Inc. - February 13th, 2019
- Charlotte | Clegg's Termite and Pest Control - February 12th, 2019
- Seattle Pest Control & Exterminators 206-736-7378 Guardian ... - February 3rd, 2019
- Termite Pest Control in Santa Clara County, CA - January 30th, 2019
- Ashburn, VA Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - January 14th, 2019
- Grayson Termite & Pest Control - 109 Reviews - Pest ... - January 9th, 2019
- Bellevue Termite Exterminator - Bellevue Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Southlake Termite Exterminator - Southlake Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Peoria Termite Exterminator - Peoria Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Columbus Termite Exterminator - Columbus Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Termite Control Panama City | Termite Treatment Enterprise ... - September 29th, 2018
- 24 Best Pest Control Companies - South Plainfield NJ ... - September 19th, 2018
- How Much Does It Cost To Get Rid Of Termites? - September 16th, 2018
- Pest Control & Termite Extermination on the Delmarva Peninsula - September 6th, 2018
- Hawkeye Exterminators - Pest Control, Bed Bugs and Termite ... - May 10th, 2018
- Termites: How to Identify and Control Them | US EPA - February 5th, 2018
- Subterranean Termite Control Products - Pestmall.com - December 3rd, 2017
- Termite Control - Arrow Exterminators - November 21st, 2017
- Senate Pest Control - Senate Termite Control - November 17th, 2017
- Termite Inspection Cost - Do My Own - November 17th, 2017
- Termite Control, Extermination & Bonds by Nader's Pest Raiders - November 5th, 2017
- Termite Treatment Equipment | Shop at QSpray.com - November 5th, 2017
- Termite Control with The Termite Inspector Company - September 1st, 2017
- Su Named UF Foundation Term Professor for Outstanding Termite Research - Newswise (press release) - September 1st, 2017
- IPM Experience House Features Sentricon System - PCT Magazine - September 1st, 2017
- Termite Treatment Cost (INSPECTION & EXTERMINATION) - August 9th, 2017
- Margaret Kuo's restaurant reopens - Main Line - August 1st, 2017
- How Francis Mallmann feeds the rich and famous with food from the fire - Telegraph.co.uk - July 30th, 2017
- Rollins, Inc. Enjoys Broad-Based Growth -- The Motley Fool - Motley Fool - July 30th, 2017
- Tiger Termite & Pest Control | Eco-Friendly Pest Solutions - July 12th, 2017
- Intensive Pest Control Offers Free Termite Inspections in Fountain Valley and surrounding areas - Digital Journal (press release) - June 30th, 2017
- Termite-Tented Homes Targeted By Burglar - Patch.com - June 26th, 2017
- Marin Termite Control - Diamond Certified - June 23rd, 2017
- Cummings Termite & Pest - 480-994-9599 | #1 Pest Control Provider - June 23rd, 2017
- Milwaukee Pest Control Pros Redesigns Their Website - Digital Journal - June 20th, 2017
- Can't Tent for Termites - 7News - WSVN-TV - June 15th, 2017
- Fundraiser to be held Saturday for repairs to Oostanaula School Community Club - Northwest Georgia News - June 14th, 2017
- Lighthouse Point Termite Control - Termite Pest Control - June 12th, 2017
- Keller @ Large: Don't Mess With The Big Blue Bug - CBS Boston / WBZ - June 7th, 2017
- Digital Journal: A Global Digital Media Network - Digital Journal - June 6th, 2017
- Why Choose Pest Control Singapore - Good Herald - June 4th, 2017
- Man accused of burglarizing tented home skips out on arraignment - fox5sandiego.com - June 1st, 2017
- Termite Structural Damage - Heavy Damage from Termite ... - June 1st, 2017
- Termite & Bed Bugs Perspicacious Institute | Cockroach ... - June 1st, 2017
- Industry Mourns Loss of Norm Cooper - PCT Magazine - May 31st, 2017
- Pest Control Singapore Experts Are Opening a New Branch: Welcoming Perth Pest Control Australia - Digital Journal - May 31st, 2017
- Termite Tented Home in Carlsbad Broken Into - Times of San Diego - May 28th, 2017
- Escondido Man Burglarized Home During Termite Extermination: Police - Patch.com - May 27th, 2017
- Caught On Video: Burglar in gas mask breaks into tented home - CBS 8 San Diego - May 25th, 2017
- Burglar wearing respirator breaks into tented home - fox5sandiego.com - May 25th, 2017
- Ipswich Pest Control Professionals Expands Service Area - MilTech - May 23rd, 2017
- Termite Control & Termite Treatment | Solutions Pest & Lawn - May 22nd, 2017
- Facts about Termites - A1 Exterminators - May 22nd, 2017
- Termite Control Gilbert / Chandler / Phoenix Metro | Magic ... - May 22nd, 2017
- Termite Control - PermaTreat Pest Control - May 21st, 2017
- Termite Control & Extermination - Arrow Exterminators - May 21st, 2017