Drywood Termites are a lesser-known species of termite, accounting for only 10%termite problems and wood destruction to homes in the United States.While they may be a smaller issue percentage-wise compared to the destruction inflicted by subterranean termites, Drywood termites are still a large threat to a home.
Drywood Termites are primarily found in the southern coastal areas and are saturated in a strip along the southern border of the United States ranging from California all the way to Florida. They are especially plentiful in states like California, Florida, Louisiana and Texas.
Due to their tendency to build nests in wood itself rather than underground like Subterranean Termites, Drywood Termites create elaborate tunnels and chambers inside of wood which they connect by digging small tunnels to travel. These tunnels and passageways are well-maintained and cleaned as Drywood termites push wood pellets out from their galleries such as frass.
Drywood termites have different behaviors and tendencies compared to Subterranean Termites and therefore, they need a different treatment approach when it comes to eliminating them from your home.Our DIY treatment guide below will show you exactly what you need to do to kill Drywood Termite infestations in your home and end the destruction.
Before you can carry out a treatment program, you need to first identify Drywood Termites to be sure that is the pest you are dealing with. Misidentification will lead to wasted efforts using the wrong pesticides, not to mention wasted time and money.
If you are having trouble with identification, contact our pest control experts to assist you in correctly ID'ing the termite you are dealing with. We will also offer you our top recommendations for control of your pest problem.
After you have confirmed that drywood termites are on your property, you can proceed with an inspection. During this phase, you will need to figure out where drywood termites are infesting, how severe of an infestation there is, and scan for signs of drywood termite activity.
Where To Inspect
Drywood termites are normally found in the attic or the eaves around the exterior around the house. Although swarms are a pretty good indication that you have an infestation, drywood termites may be difficult to find.
When conducting inspections, be sure you equip yourself with a flashlight to check dark areas like basements or attics. You should also use a screwdriver or sharp ended object to probe termite galleries. Pay close attention to all wood construction, support posts and ceiling joists or areas where soil meets wood.
What To Look For
The signs to look out for are frass, wings and feces. Frass looks similar to sawdust and is left behind by termites while digging through and consuming wood. They can also appear in the form of a small wooden pellet which is actually their feces.
Swarmer wings found in your home is an indication of the swarmer termites being active in mating and creating a new colony within the home. Finding wings is a tell-tale sign that you have a heavy infestation.
Drywood termite infestations are not as large as subterranean termite infestations so controlling drywood termites will not require as much effort as it would to control subterranean termites.Before handling any chemicals, make sure you have on the proper personal protective equipment for safety.
We recommend two effective ways to get rid of Drywood termites. One is via borate wood treatment using a product called Boracare. Secondly, you can drill and fill infested wood areas to eliminate drywood termite invaders with Fipro Foaming Aerosol.
Step 1 - Wood Treatment With Boracare
If the colony has been identified in a specific area within the structure you want to replace the damaged wood and treat with borate-based product Boracare. Boracare is applied to bare wood and should be mixed in a bucket with warm water.
To figure out how much Boracare you need, you will need to determine the size of the treatment area. Measure the linear feet of all exterior walls, interior walls, and areas you wish to treat. Most commonly, homes use 2x4, 2x6 or 2x8 studs on their walls.
1 gallon of diluted Boracare will cover 600 lineal feet for 2x4 studs, 400 lineal feet for 2x6 and 308 lineal feet for 2x8. Linear feet is simply the length of the measurement (6 linear feet = 6 total feet).
Using a 5 gallon bucket, mix 1 part Boracare with 1 part water. It is recommended that you use hot water to mix with Boracare. Boracare is very thick and viscous solution and needs to be mixed well and broken down.
Boracare can be painted onto the wood, sprayed on or foamed into wall voids. Choose the treatment method that best suits your preference. For more effective results, apply two coats of Boracare to each piece of infested wood.You can treat exposed wood behind sheetrock or up in the attic.
Boracare will penetrate the wood and kill the termites as they feed. Also, if you have access to underneath your house you can spray all the exposed wood there as well.
Step 2 -Drill and Fill Treatment Using FiPro Aerosol
Apply Fipro Aerosol Foam into any exposed termite galleries, voids, cracks and crevices around windows, doors and fireplaces. Fipro Aerosol is a foam and it travels very easily through termite galleries which actually provides good deep penetration.
For infested wood,attach your drillbit and go ahead and drill holes into the wood where the nest is located. Holes should be drilled 8 to 10 inches apart around the entire piece of wood. Then fill the holes with Fipro Aerosol foam.Close up the holes made in the wood using a wood patch or other type of wood sealant material with a paintbrush or other kind of spreading tool.
To prevent Drywood termites from accessing your home you can use Boracare and spray it up in the attic on all exposed wood also in the exterior up underneath the house and the floor joists. Keep an eye out for further signs of termite activity and conditions that could create a favorable environment for them. And spray FiPro Aerosol in voids, cracks, and crevices every three months for continual control.
It is also a good idea to monitor your property for signs of other termites, such as subterranean termites. For this, use Red Eye termite monitoring stations. Place multiple Red Eye Stations around the home to monitor for termite activity. When there is termite activity, the Red Eye indicator will let you know by disappearing and then you can treat termites accordingly by injecting Fipro aerosol into the station.
Other preventative measures you can take is to reduce moisture around the house. Check the Red Eye once a month.
Continue reading here:
Drywood Termite Control: How To Get Rid of Drywood Termites
- Swarming termites along the Coast - WXXV News 25 - May 13th, 2021
- Sponsored | Ask David: Detecting termites in tri-cities homes, and more real estate advice - TheRecord.com - May 13th, 2021
- Mayor - News - May 2021 - City of New Orleans Mosquito, Termite and Rodent Control Board to Conduct Adult Mosquito Abatement T - City of New Orleans - May 13th, 2021
- Rain and storms increase Wednesday - WDSU New Orleans - May 13th, 2021
- Community demands answers as to why ceilings are leaking at the newly-renovated South Oak Cliff H.S. - WFAA.com - May 13th, 2021
- The Paradigm Shift of the ADL - The Jewish Voice - May 13th, 2021
- Detecting termites, other wood-destroying insects | News, Sports, Jobs - Warren Tribune Chronicle - April 30th, 2021
- Orkin ranks Alabama city in the top 50 for termites - AL.com - April 30th, 2021
- Termite Infestation Is Increasing, Protection Is Improving Building-Products - Building-Products.com - April 30th, 2021
- Mayor - News - April 2021 - The City of New Orleans Mosquito, Termite and Rodent Control Board to Conduct Adult Mosquito Abateme - City of New Orleans - April 30th, 2021
- Should treated lumber be used inside? - liherald - April 30th, 2021
- Global Termite Treatment Industry Market Report 2020, Forecast Till 2027 By Type, End-use, Geography and Player The Courier - The Courier - April 30th, 2021
- Debt, Deficits, and Bill-Backlogs Could Eat through Illinois' Revenue-Growth like Termites - River Cities Reader - April 30th, 2021
- Did you know that northern tamanduas may eat up to 9,000 insects per day? Candid Animal Cam - Mongabay.com - April 15th, 2021
- Termite Bait System Products Market will touch a new level in upcoming year | DowDuPont, BASF SE, Bayer AG, Sumitomo Chemical Co SoccerNurds -... - April 15th, 2021
- 'Farmhouse Fixer': Jonathan Knight Says Renovating Houses and Performing With NKOTB Have 1 Thing in Common - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - April 15th, 2021
- Some Animals Will Go to Social Distancing Extremes if It Means Keeping The Group Safe - ScienceAlert - March 11th, 2021
- Global Termite Bait Systems Market 2020 Research by Business Analysis, Growth Strategy and Industry Development to 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper... - March 11th, 2021
- On timber and hot potatoes - The Fifth Estate - March 11th, 2021
- Global Termite Control Market Potential Growth, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players- Research Forecasts to 2026 - Just Positivity - March 11th, 2021
- Termite Drug Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players Analysis- BASF SE, Bayer... - March 11th, 2021
- Termite Control Market is Thriving Worldwide with Surprising Transition During 2021-2026 Express Keeper - Express Keeper - February 19th, 2021
- Termites and Mulch Separating Fact From Fiction - Mint Hill Times - February 19th, 2021
- Comprehensive study of Termite Control System Market 2021 New Opportunities and Global Industry Outlook The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - February 19th, 2021
- Problems That Your Pest Control Company Will Help You Deal With - MassNews - February 14th, 2021
- A New Life In The Sun couple's dream of running B&B in Spain in ruins after fire - Staffordshire Live - February 14th, 2021
- Termite Control Services Market is Expected to Hit Big Revenue During 2021-2026 The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - February 14th, 2021
- Termite Treatment Chemical Products Market Report 2020: Size, Trends, Competitive Analysis, Types, Applications, Manufactures And Forecast To 2027 ... - February 14th, 2021
- Global Termite Bait Systems Market by Trends, Dynamic Innovation in Technology and Key Players| Dowdupont, BASF, Bayer, Sumitomo Chemical, Syngenta,... - February 11th, 2021
- Termite Control Market is Expected to Deliver Higher Revenue in Next 5 Years The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - February 7th, 2021
- Edible Insects Market Scope and Price Analysis of Top Manufacturers Profiles 2015 2027 BioFlythec, Insagri, Mealfood Europe, Thailand Unique, Kreca... - February 7th, 2021
- Signs of Termite Infestation | Mississippi State ... - February 4th, 2021
- How Do Termite Mounds Regulate Temperature? - ASME - February 4th, 2021
- Termite Signs - Infestation - Phoenix AZ | Blue Sky Pest ... - February 4th, 2021
- How to identify termites: what do termites look like? - February 4th, 2021
- How to Kill Termites in 7 Easy Steps (Expert Advice ... - February 4th, 2021
- Does homeowners insurance cover termites? - February 4th, 2021
- Selling a House with Active Termites or Past Termite ... - February 4th, 2021
- Epifamily Termitoidae - Termites - BugGuide.Net - February 4th, 2021
- What Do Termites Look Like? - WorldAtlas - February 4th, 2021
- Types of Termites in Singapore | Rentokil Pest Control - February 4th, 2021
- Isoptera 101: The Termite Life Cycle And Castes Explained - February 4th, 2021
- Termite Control: How To Get Rid of Termites | DIY Termite ... - February 4th, 2021
- What happens to termites in Alexandria during the winter? - Alexandria Times - February 4th, 2021
- UPDATE: Uncle Kentang Closes Donations for Ampang Family Living In Termite-Infested House - WORLD OF BUZZ - February 4th, 2021
- Termite Control Market Size, Top Key Players, Applications, Business Statistics, Trends and Forecast 2021-2027 The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv... - February 4th, 2021
- The fart of the larva of this insect can kill six termites - The Courier - February 1st, 2021
- Everything Required for FHA Appraisals: From Home Valuation to Termite Inspection - NextAdvisor - February 1st, 2021
- Carpenter Ants Don't Eat Wood, But You Don't Want Them In Your Home - Texas Standard - January 23rd, 2021
- 2 Exits In A Day. Unfazed Trinamool Says "Couple Of Mugs Of Water..." - NDTV - January 23rd, 2021
- Termite Control Market Size 2021 By Analysis, Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, and Forecasts to 2027 - Jumbo News - January 17th, 2021
- A month on, termite infestation still not cleared from JNU's state-of-the-art lab, claim researchers, JNUSU - EdexLive - January 9th, 2021
- Copper Azoles Market Research : Industry Overview, Market Growth,Top Performing Regions Analysis and Forecast to 2028 | Koppers Inc, Lonza, UFP... - January 9th, 2021
- Termite Control Market Trends & Forecast to 2026- Industry Analysis by Geographical Regions, Type and Application - Factory Gate - January 9th, 2021
- Jennifer Danny | Appreciating the Little Things - Santa Clarita Valley Signal - January 9th, 2021
- There's a new addition at the Miami Zoo: a baby giant anteater - WDJT - December 29th, 2020
- Termite Control Market 2020: COVID19 Impact on Industry Growth, Trends, Top Manufacturer, Regional Analysis and Forecast to 2027 - The Monitor - December 29th, 2020
- Europe pest control market Outlook and Opportunities in Grooming Regions - LionLowdown - December 29th, 2020
- The Kindreds - Boston Review - December 19th, 2020
- Facts of the Matter: Earths atmosphere is filled with a wide variety of gases - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - December 19th, 2020
- Womens inheritance rights - The Express Tribune - December 19th, 2020
- The Critical Mistake Homebuyers Are Making Right Now (and How to Avoid It) - PureWow - December 19th, 2020
- Global Termite Control Products and Services Market Detailed analysis of current Industry figures with forecasts growth by 2028 | Top Players;... - December 19th, 2020
- JNU's termite-infested lab stuck in war between two departments. Who will clear the rot now? - EdexLive - December 15th, 2020
- In the nick of time: Woman, dogs rescued from inferno by Kingsport, Church Hill men - Kingsport Times News - December 15th, 2020
- Home repair services and more with Poplar Home Waterproofing - FOX10 News - December 15th, 2020
- Around Town December 14 - The Republic - December 15th, 2020
- Termite Control Market 2020 | Know the Latest COVID19 Impact Analysis And Strategies of Key Players: , BioAdvanced, BASF, Terminix, Rentokil Initial,... - December 13th, 2020
- Letter: Cooperation is key to beating pandemic - Grand Forks Herald - December 13th, 2020
- Amazing ways insects survive the winter | Lifestyles | somerset-kentucky.com - Commonwealth Journal's History - December 12th, 2020
- Terminix Internship Named to Top 100 Best Internships in America by WayUp - GuruFocus.com - December 12th, 2020
- Termite Baiting Treatments Market Size, Historical Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - AlgosOnline - December 12th, 2020
- 'Echoes of the voice of God': Carpenter Gothic churches rare in Northwest Florida - The Northwest Florida Daily News - December 12th, 2020
- Joint taskforce to be established to tackle termites - FBC News - December 9th, 2020
- A gnawing problem - Midland Express Newspapers - December 9th, 2020
- We found algae-farming fish that domesticate tiny shrimp to help run their farms - The Conversation AU - December 9th, 2020
- Adam Carolla Moves To Where 'Smartest Man' On Earth (Elon Musk) Lives - UPROXX - December 9th, 2020
- Global Pest Control Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast 2019-2026 by Type, by Pest Type, by Application, by Region - The Market Feed - December 6th, 2020
- There's an ecosystem beneath your feetand it needs protection, new report says - Science Magazine - December 6th, 2020
- It is failure that breed success: Sanjay Agarwal, MD of Century Ply Boards India tells BrandSutra - Free Press Journal - December 6th, 2020