Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
There are over 40 species of termites in the United States alone. Although they have distinct characteristics, most look similar.
See Image Termite Gallery
There are variations in size and color between termite species. For example, western subterranean termite soldiers have yellowish heads, while western drywood termite soldiers have reddish brown heads. Dampwood and drywood termites tend to be larger than subterranean termites.
Termites have three different castes, each of which performs different roles within the colony. Each caste has unique physical features to help it fulfill its role in the colony.
Even within the same species, termites that belong to different castes can look very different.
WorkersWorker termites tend to be lighter in color. Workers are the smallest of the castes. In general, workers and nymphs are soft-bodied and look like larvae.
SoldiersSoldiers tend to have worker-like bodies, but with hard heads that are often dark in color and have large jaws. Soldier termites have soft bodies with hard, enlarged heads and large jaws (mandibles) that help them protect the colony. Fully mature, reproductive termites have wings and hard bodies that prepare them for leaving the nest to start new colonies.
Alates Or Flying TermitesAlates (swarmers) have wings and hard exoskeletons that may be very dark in color. Additionally, flying and swarming termites can be recognized by their prominent wings. Flying termites have two sets of wings of equal length, and these wings are almost twice the size of the termites body. Termite swarmers appear to have two body segments with a straight abdomen, and straight antennae.
Subterranean Worker and Soldier
Termite Look AlikesSome homeowners may confuse flying ants and flying termites. Pest control experts are trained to distinguish between these two insects based on differences in their appearance.
Can You See Termites with the Human Eye?While the pests are small, termites are visible with the human eye. Winged termites, or swarmers, are somewhat larger than workers and can be more easily spotted. This is helpful since homeowners are most likely to encounter swarmers, which take flight during mating season to look for new nesting sites.
Knowing where termites live helps homeowners identify infestations.
Dampwood termites, for example, are found in areas with moist climates; however, these termites can be found in areas of the home where water leaks occur. They typically set up colonies in damp basements or bathrooms.
Nevada Dampwood Soldier
On the other hand, drywood termites are found in dry environments of the coastal, southeastern and southwestern portions of the U.S. Drywood termites typically live in undamaged, dry wood of houses and apartments.
Drywood Termite Worker
Since the pests eat cellulose found in wood, termites destroy, walls, furniture, and other wooden materials in homes. The damage they do may appear in the form of sagging floors and ceilings or infested wood might look water damaged. Additionally, homeowners may find piles of sawdust, mud tubes or the shed wings of swarmers.
While you should regularly monitor for pest activity, you should contact a trained professional for termite identification, prevention and treatment. Pest control experts can distinguish between termites and other insects, and identify termites by species to make sure prevention and treatment techniques target that specific species- unique behavior.
Difference Between Ants & TermitesMore Pictures of TermitesWhat Color Are Termites?
Read the rest here:
What Do Termites Look Like? Termite Identification
- Termites Pest Control Information Perth - August 6th, 2018
- Termites - Nozzle Nolen - July 16th, 2018
- Termite - Field Guide to Common Texas Insects - June 17th, 2018
- What Do Termites Look Like? Signs of Termite Damage - June 2nd, 2018
- Termite Facts for Kids: Termite Information for Students - May 26th, 2018
- Termite Pictures: Photo Gallery with Images - April 21st, 2018
- Best 17 Termite Control in Fordyce, AR with Reviews - YP.com - March 4th, 2018
- Termites in Southwest Florida | Lenny's Bug Blog - February 28th, 2018
- End Of Termites | Terminator The best anti-termite ... - February 14th, 2018
- How to Get Rid of Termites - Pest Control Products - February 9th, 2018
- Termites - All About Termites - domyown.com - February 6th, 2018
- Termites | Dreamworks Animation Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - February 3rd, 2018
- How to Treat Termites on Trees | Home Guides | SF Gate - February 3rd, 2018
- Prevent and Treat Termites to Avoid Damage to a House ... - January 21st, 2018
- Termites in Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, Pittsburgh ... - January 5th, 2018
- Termites in Potted Plants | Home Guides | SF Gate - January 3rd, 2018
- Subterranean Termites - extension2.missouri.edu - December 29th, 2017
- What Kinds of Termites do we Have in Georgia? - December 27th, 2017
- Signs of Termites: How to Detect Termite Evidence - December 17th, 2017
- What Are Termites? - December 15th, 2017
- Lewis Terman - Wikipedia - December 4th, 2017
- Termite Facts - Softschools.com - December 3rd, 2017
- Termites | Horticulture and Home Pest News - December 3rd, 2017
- Termite Facts for Kids - December 3rd, 2017
- Are Termites Harmful to Humans? | Termite Treatment And ... - December 3rd, 2017
- Termite Identification | Termite Control DC, MD And Northern ... - November 26th, 2017
- What "Wood" a Termite Prefer To Eat? - November 25th, 2017
- Termites - All About Termites - DoMyOwnPestControl.com - November 25th, 2017
- Termite Inspection | Truly Nolen - November 24th, 2017
- Best 30 Termite Control in Villas, NJ with Reviews - YP.com - November 18th, 2017
- What Do Termites Look Like Exactly? Find Out How! - November 17th, 2017
- Subterranean Termites - How To Kill and Get Rid of ... - November 17th, 2017
- The Signs of Termite Infestation - Florida Pest Control - November 17th, 2017
- 9 Signs of Termites Infestation | Kill Termites Guide - November 17th, 2017
- Termite Control Cost Muskegon MI - Pest Control - ESFS - November 16th, 2017
- 4 Best Termite Control, Inspection Services - Waterbury CT ... - November 4th, 2017
- 3 Ways to Protect Your Home from Termites - wikiHow - October 16th, 2017
- How to Kill Termites: Best Ways to Get Rid of Termites ... - October 7th, 2017
- Termite Fast Facts: What You Need To Know - The Spruce - October 1st, 2017
- Formosan Termites - How to Kill and Get Rid of Formosan Termites - September 23rd, 2017
- Giving air to earthworms and termites - Farm Weekly - September 6th, 2017
- Meet the 'Terminator' of sanitary waste - Oherald - September 2nd, 2017
- UCA bear battling termites; options studied - Arkansas Online - August 31st, 2017
- Four hidden threats many homeowners miss - KTAR.com - August 31st, 2017
- Tracking Guelph's 2017 termite zones - GuelphMercury.com - August 31st, 2017
- How To: Get Rid of Flying Ants - BobVila.com - August 31st, 2017
- Termites nibbling away at Bismillah Khan's citations | Varanasi ... - Times of India - August 29th, 2017
- Alan Root, Oft-Bitten Wildlife Filmmaker, Dies at 80 - New York Times - August 29th, 2017
- Termites eat into village, locals flee - Times of India - August 28th, 2017
- Termite outbreak empties out Almora village - Times of India - August 27th, 2017
- Faith Lift: Termites - The Baytown Sun - August 26th, 2017
- Termites Springfield VA | Termite Control & Treatment - August 26th, 2017
- OP: A little less you're either with us or against us and a little more the enemy of my enemy is my ally - Western Herald - August 26th, 2017
- Top tips to protect your home against termites - The Standard - August 22nd, 2017
- Termites, damp, asbestos: Craig Reucassel's 'winning' home trifecta - Victor Harbor Times - August 19th, 2017
- On the termite 'brick' trail - The Hindu - August 19th, 2017
- Maintenance man Adam Titcombe dines on termites and a tarantula in fundraising challenge for Downham Market care ... - Norfolk Eastern Daily Press - August 13th, 2017
- Downham Market man set to eat worms, crickets, termites - and giant tarantula - Norfolk Eastern Daily Press - August 11th, 2017
- PDP house won't be rebuilt with termites infested woods Fayose - Vanguard - August 8th, 2017
- Businesses get another option for disaster recovery - Kinston Free Press - August 5th, 2017
- Termites | Opinion, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com - Philippine Star - August 3rd, 2017
- Connecting the dots on biodiversity and agriculture - GreenBiz - August 3rd, 2017
- Brazil dam gives geckos big heads, scientists say - GCR - August 3rd, 2017
- A Dam in Brazil Has Altered the Course of Evolution - Atlas Obscura - August 1st, 2017
- From bits to boluses: How do termites build strong mounds? - Research Matters - August 1st, 2017
- Geckos evolve rapidly in Brazil after new dam constructed - Science Magazine - August 1st, 2017
- Study finds aardvarks suffering as African climate heats up - San Francisco Chronicle - August 1st, 2017
- Wood-hungry termites have intricate caste system - Blair Enterprise Publishing - July 31st, 2017
- Study finds aardvarks suffering as African climate heats up - GuelphToday - July 31st, 2017
- A Method in the Madness: How Termites Build and Repair Their Mounds - The Wire - July 31st, 2017
- Eat worms, locusts and termites in creepy crawly pop-up restaurant challenge at Hawley Fayre - Get Surrey - July 6th, 2017
- NMSU doctoral student receives NASA Earth and Space Science Fellowship - KRWG - July 4th, 2017
- St. Augustine City Hall and Lightner Museum gets tented for termites ... - Florida Times-Union - June 30th, 2017
- Exterminating rare termites in Fort Worth home takes extreme measures - Fort Worth Star Telegram - June 28th, 2017
- Police: Former pest control worker targeted 12 homes being tented ... - The Ledger - June 27th, 2017
- St. Augustine City Hall, Lightner Museum To Close For Termite Tenting - WJCT NEWS - June 26th, 2017
- ANDERSON: Flying ants vs. termites - Evening News and Tribune - June 26th, 2017
- This Eye Infection Blinds Someone Every 15 Minutes, And Women Are Hit Hardest - HuffPost - June 22nd, 2017
- The Flight of the Termite: The Silent Intruder - Sourceable - June 20th, 2017
- Why cockroaches and termites are great parents - Phys.Org - June 19th, 2017
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.