Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
The University of Central Arkansas wooden bear statue, Valor, has been absent this school year because he has a bug.
Termites have invaded his feet, and he has been in storage this summer, said Larry Lawrence, director of the UCA Physical Plant.
Lawrence said a structural engineer with Crafton-Tull has been consulted about the best way to repair the bear.
We did treat him for termites, but we still did have some termites, and we had some water damage and rot, Lawrence said. We sealed it many, many times with what the artist told us to use.
Iowa chainsaw artist Gary Keenan created the 10-foot black bear in May 2013. He used one of the 41 trees planted in 1946 as a living memorial to UCAs alumni killed in World War II. A tree that that was ailing was used for the sculpture. Lawrence said a few dead limbs had been taken out of the canopy, and he knew it would have to come down at some point.
Valor was carved in front of Wingo Hall, which is the administration building, and is part of the Living Tree Memorial.
Originally, it was done with the tree in the ground, Lawrence said. Over time, we wanted it more permanent, so we put a concrete base in the ground. Keenan estimated the bear weighs 3,000 to 4,000 pounds.
Lawrence said physical-plant employees noticed a few months ago that Valor was having problems.
We took him down, because the lower portion 3 or 4 inches below the knee was the area we were concerned about, Lawrence said.
Lawrence said the structural engineer will come up with a final design to repair the bear, but options have been discussed.
Were going to keep the same base, but were going to design steel legs that go up into the bear. We have cut off pretty much the wood thats damaged, Lawrence said.
After the steel is inserted, we may try to design some product or substance, wood or plaster, that may go around these steel legs so we can do an equivalent of what an artist might do so it will look more like legs. We have discussed and we dont know what final product will be about a plate that would go on his back and cables or rods that will go into the concrete base, the rebar, Lawrence said.
He said the goal is to make Valor secure and safe.
It needs to withstand wind and weight. The goal is not to have to take him down again, Lawrence said.
Keenan also created a bear-cub chainsaw carving in 2015 in a diseased tree in the backyard of the UCA Presidents Home. It consists of three bear cubs and raccoons.
It, too, has some of the same problems as Valor.
Its been there awhile, and it fell over because part of the trunk of the base had similar issues, water rot, etc., Lawrence said.
The uprooted tree with the cub carvings lies next to Valor in a storage unit.
Were probably going to take a chainsaw, and there are two of them together separate those two and theres another by itself cut it out by itself and make it flat on the back and maybe hang it on the wall. The two well be able to stand up like in the corner on a floor, Lawrence said.
Tamara Walkingstick, associate professor of forestry with University of Arkansas Division of Agriculture Arkansas Forest Resources Center, said the deterioration of the carvings doesnt surprise her.
If the trees were on their way out, they may have had rot in the root system, she said. Cutting off the top doesnt mean you cut off whatever disease was in the roots. Theres no stopping that. I hate to say it, but its the cycle of life; its a dead tree.
If we didnt have termites and fungus to break that down, the world would be stacked up to the moon with dead things.
She said termites eat only dead wood, except for a kind of termites not in Arkansas.
Its not their fault, she said of UCA employees. Even if they cut down a good tree, the same thing would happen; it would slowly degrade.
She said the changing moisture in the air in this area affects wood, regardless of whether its treated and sealed.
If we lived in, say, Arizona, it wouldnt happen, she said.
Kennan said last week that he knew UCA made a concrete base for Valor, but he did not know about the termites and rot.
Im not aware any of the other carvings Ive done having termites. Wood outside will not last forever. Eventually rot happens, but termites is unusual, Keenan said. Youre farther south, and that certainly increases the odds.
The artist, who also created the shepherd wood carving at First United Methodist Church in Conway, said Valor ranks very high on his complete list of projects. I was very pleased, and I thought everything worked out fairly well; Im just sorry to hear about the termites, Keenan said.
Lawrence said it could be late September or early October when Valor returns to his post.
People like to take pictures there; were anxious to get him back up, he said.
Senior writer Tammy Keith can be reached at (501) 327-0370 or email@example.com.
- The Truth About the "Termites" | Psychology Today - December 28th, 2018
- Signs of Termite Damage|Termite Damage|Truly Nolen - November 1st, 2018
- Pictures of Termites | Ehrlich Pest Control - October 31st, 2018
- Termite Control - The Home Depot - October 31st, 2018
- How to Spot Termites: Termite Identification Pictures - October 31st, 2018
- Subterranean Termites Control | Do My Own Pest Control - October 15th, 2018
- Termites - Biology and Control - Browse Popular Publications - September 6th, 2018
- Termites Pest Control Information Perth - August 6th, 2018
- Termites - Nozzle Nolen - July 16th, 2018
- Termite - Field Guide to Common Texas Insects - June 17th, 2018
- What Do Termites Look Like? Signs of Termite Damage - June 2nd, 2018
- Termite Facts for Kids: Termite Information for Students - May 26th, 2018
- What Do Termites Look Like? Termite Identification - April 26th, 2018
- Termite Pictures: Photo Gallery with Images - April 21st, 2018
- Best 17 Termite Control in Fordyce, AR with Reviews - YP.com - March 4th, 2018
- Termites in Southwest Florida | Lenny's Bug Blog - February 28th, 2018
- End Of Termites | Terminator The best anti-termite ... - February 14th, 2018
- How to Get Rid of Termites - Pest Control Products - February 9th, 2018
- Termites - All About Termites - domyown.com - February 6th, 2018
- Termites | Dreamworks Animation Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - February 3rd, 2018
- How to Treat Termites on Trees | Home Guides | SF Gate - February 3rd, 2018
- Prevent and Treat Termites to Avoid Damage to a House ... - January 21st, 2018
- Termites in Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, Pittsburgh ... - January 5th, 2018
- Termites in Potted Plants | Home Guides | SF Gate - January 3rd, 2018
- Subterranean Termites - extension2.missouri.edu - December 29th, 2017
- What Kinds of Termites do we Have in Georgia? - December 27th, 2017
- Signs of Termites: How to Detect Termite Evidence - December 17th, 2017
- What Are Termites? - December 15th, 2017
- Lewis Terman - Wikipedia - December 4th, 2017
- Termite Facts - Softschools.com - December 3rd, 2017
- Termites | Horticulture and Home Pest News - December 3rd, 2017
- Termite Facts for Kids - December 3rd, 2017
- Are Termites Harmful to Humans? | Termite Treatment And ... - December 3rd, 2017
- Termite Identification | Termite Control DC, MD And Northern ... - November 26th, 2017
- What "Wood" a Termite Prefer To Eat? - November 25th, 2017
- Termites - All About Termites - DoMyOwnPestControl.com - November 25th, 2017
- Termite Inspection | Truly Nolen - November 24th, 2017
- Best 30 Termite Control in Villas, NJ with Reviews - YP.com - November 18th, 2017
- What Do Termites Look Like Exactly? Find Out How! - November 17th, 2017
- Subterranean Termites - How To Kill and Get Rid of ... - November 17th, 2017
- The Signs of Termite Infestation - Florida Pest Control - November 17th, 2017
- 9 Signs of Termites Infestation | Kill Termites Guide - November 17th, 2017
- Termite Control Cost Muskegon MI - Pest Control - ESFS - November 16th, 2017
- 4 Best Termite Control, Inspection Services - Waterbury CT ... - November 4th, 2017
- 3 Ways to Protect Your Home from Termites - wikiHow - October 16th, 2017
- How to Kill Termites: Best Ways to Get Rid of Termites ... - October 7th, 2017
- Termite Fast Facts: What You Need To Know - The Spruce - October 1st, 2017
- Formosan Termites - How to Kill and Get Rid of Formosan Termites - September 23rd, 2017
- Giving air to earthworms and termites - Farm Weekly - September 6th, 2017
- Meet the 'Terminator' of sanitary waste - Oherald - September 2nd, 2017
- Four hidden threats many homeowners miss - KTAR.com - August 31st, 2017
- Tracking Guelph's 2017 termite zones - GuelphMercury.com - August 31st, 2017
- How To: Get Rid of Flying Ants - BobVila.com - August 31st, 2017
- Termites nibbling away at Bismillah Khan's citations | Varanasi ... - Times of India - August 29th, 2017
- Alan Root, Oft-Bitten Wildlife Filmmaker, Dies at 80 - New York Times - August 29th, 2017
- Termites eat into village, locals flee - Times of India - August 28th, 2017
- Termite outbreak empties out Almora village - Times of India - August 27th, 2017
- Faith Lift: Termites - The Baytown Sun - August 26th, 2017
- Termites Springfield VA | Termite Control & Treatment - August 26th, 2017
- OP: A little less you're either with us or against us and a little more the enemy of my enemy is my ally - Western Herald - August 26th, 2017
- Top tips to protect your home against termites - The Standard - August 22nd, 2017
- Termites, damp, asbestos: Craig Reucassel's 'winning' home trifecta - Victor Harbor Times - August 19th, 2017
- On the termite 'brick' trail - The Hindu - August 19th, 2017
- Maintenance man Adam Titcombe dines on termites and a tarantula in fundraising challenge for Downham Market care ... - Norfolk Eastern Daily Press - August 13th, 2017
- Downham Market man set to eat worms, crickets, termites - and giant tarantula - Norfolk Eastern Daily Press - August 11th, 2017
- PDP house won't be rebuilt with termites infested woods Fayose - Vanguard - August 8th, 2017
- Businesses get another option for disaster recovery - Kinston Free Press - August 5th, 2017
- Termites | Opinion, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com - Philippine Star - August 3rd, 2017
- Connecting the dots on biodiversity and agriculture - GreenBiz - August 3rd, 2017
- Brazil dam gives geckos big heads, scientists say - GCR - August 3rd, 2017
- A Dam in Brazil Has Altered the Course of Evolution - Atlas Obscura - August 1st, 2017
- From bits to boluses: How do termites build strong mounds? - Research Matters - August 1st, 2017
- Geckos evolve rapidly in Brazil after new dam constructed - Science Magazine - August 1st, 2017
- Study finds aardvarks suffering as African climate heats up - San Francisco Chronicle - August 1st, 2017
- Wood-hungry termites have intricate caste system - Blair Enterprise Publishing - July 31st, 2017
- Study finds aardvarks suffering as African climate heats up - GuelphToday - July 31st, 2017
- A Method in the Madness: How Termites Build and Repair Their Mounds - The Wire - July 31st, 2017
- Eat worms, locusts and termites in creepy crawly pop-up restaurant challenge at Hawley Fayre - Get Surrey - July 6th, 2017
- NMSU doctoral student receives NASA Earth and Space Science Fellowship - KRWG - July 4th, 2017
- St. Augustine City Hall and Lightner Museum gets tented for termites ... - Florida Times-Union - June 30th, 2017
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.