Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Hed just flown for five hours after injuring himself in a motorbike accident in the forest in Zaire, the filmmaker Mark Deeble, a friend for whom Mr. Root was a mentor, said of one such reunion, and his lip was in tatters after a tame marsh mongoose had fastened on and decided it was edible.
Mr. Root was born on May 12, 1937, in London, where his father managed a fish-paste factory until after World War II, when a new job took him and the family to Kenya. While still a boy, Mr. Root started filming animals, mostly snakes, using an eight-millimeter camera.
His earliest professional jobs included working on the 1959 documentary Serengeti Shall Not Die, which was being made by the father-son team of Bernhard and Michael Grzimek. When Michael Grzimek was killed in a plane crash before the film was finished, Mr. Root took it upon himself to complete the movie, which went on to win an Oscar.
In 1961 he married Joan Thorpe, the daughter of a British coffee farmer in Nairobi, and the two collaborated on documentaries that helped bring the natural world to television viewers in England and the United States in vivid fashion.
Baobab: Portrait of a Tree (1973) examined the birds, insects and other animals that live in a particular type of tree found in Africa. The Year of the Wildebeest (1975) tracked the migration of the great herds in the central African plains. Mysterious Castles of Clay (1978) was about giant termite mounds.
The Roots are said to have shown the American zoologist Dian Fossey, of Gorillas in the Mist fame, her first mountain gorillas. Years later Mr. Root filmed a sequence for that 1988 movie, in which Sigourney Weaver played Fossey.
The Roots turned their home on Lake Naivasha in Kenya into a sort of sanctuary, harboring all sorts of animals. The writer George Plimpton was a frequent visitor.
On one occasion, he wrote in a 1999 article for The New Yorker titled The Man Who Was Eaten Alive, a reference to Mr. Roots run-ins with wildlife, what I thought was a water bed on the far side of the living room got up, walked out the door, across the grass, and into the lake a pet hippo named Sally.
Joan Root stayed at Naivasha after the couple divorced in 1990 and became an advocate for conservation practices on the lake, battling illegal fishing. In 2006 she was murdered by gunmen on her property.
Mr. Root married Jennie Hammond in 1991; she died in 2000. He is survived by his wife, Fran Michelmore, and their sons, Myles and Rory.
Mr. Root told his story in an autobiography, Ivory, Apes and Peacocks: Animals, Adventure and Discovery in the Wild Places of Africa, published in 2012. At his death he was an executive producer of a film that Mr. Deeble and his wife, Victoria Stone, are making about an elephant family.
Wildlife filmmakers praised Mr. Root for having the patience necessary to achieve striking shots.
If he wanted his audience to experience the termites point of view of what it was like for the colony to be raided by an aardvark, that meant Joan putting years into raising an orphaned aardvark to accomplish it, Mr. Deeble wrote in a blog entry on the occasion of Mr. Roots death.
Mr. Root was also admired for telling the story of an entire ecosystem, not simply serving up a bunch of pretty scenes. And he helped lead wildlife filmmaking away from a reliance on human interaction, letting the animals be the stars.
For Mr. Root, the adventurous spirit that made him a great wildlife filmmaker came with a certain nonchalance. Mark Seal, who wrote a Vanity Fair article and then a book (Wildflower: An Extraordinary Life and Untimely Death in Africa) about Joan Roots murder, recalled arranging to talk with Mr. Root, whom he had met only briefly, at a friends home.
I expected Alan to come walking through his friends house, Mr. Seal wrote in an email. Instead, I heard a roar, and he descended into the yard in his helicopter, picked me up and flew me over the wildlife-infested plains of his beloved Kenya. Ive crashed two of these, he advised me midflight.
Mr. Seal added, Will never forget him holding the copter throttle with that hand missing the finger that the puff adder had taken.
- The Truth About the "Termites" | Psychology Today - December 28th, 2018
- Signs of Termite Damage|Termite Damage|Truly Nolen - November 1st, 2018
- Pictures of Termites | Ehrlich Pest Control - October 31st, 2018
- Termite Control - The Home Depot - October 31st, 2018
- How to Spot Termites: Termite Identification Pictures - October 31st, 2018
- Subterranean Termites Control | Do My Own Pest Control - October 15th, 2018
- Termites - Biology and Control - Browse Popular Publications - September 6th, 2018
- Termites Pest Control Information Perth - August 6th, 2018
- Termites - Nozzle Nolen - July 16th, 2018
- Termite - Field Guide to Common Texas Insects - June 17th, 2018
- What Do Termites Look Like? Signs of Termite Damage - June 2nd, 2018
- Termite Facts for Kids: Termite Information for Students - May 26th, 2018
- What Do Termites Look Like? Termite Identification - April 26th, 2018
- Termite Pictures: Photo Gallery with Images - April 21st, 2018
- Best 17 Termite Control in Fordyce, AR with Reviews - YP.com - March 4th, 2018
- Termites in Southwest Florida | Lenny's Bug Blog - February 28th, 2018
- End Of Termites | Terminator The best anti-termite ... - February 14th, 2018
- How to Get Rid of Termites - Pest Control Products - February 9th, 2018
- Termites - All About Termites - domyown.com - February 6th, 2018
- Termites | Dreamworks Animation Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - February 3rd, 2018
- How to Treat Termites on Trees | Home Guides | SF Gate - February 3rd, 2018
- Prevent and Treat Termites to Avoid Damage to a House ... - January 21st, 2018
- Termites in Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, Pittsburgh ... - January 5th, 2018
- Termites in Potted Plants | Home Guides | SF Gate - January 3rd, 2018
- Subterranean Termites - extension2.missouri.edu - December 29th, 2017
- What Kinds of Termites do we Have in Georgia? - December 27th, 2017
- Signs of Termites: How to Detect Termite Evidence - December 17th, 2017
- What Are Termites? - December 15th, 2017
- Lewis Terman - Wikipedia - December 4th, 2017
- Termite Facts - Softschools.com - December 3rd, 2017
- Termites | Horticulture and Home Pest News - December 3rd, 2017
- Termite Facts for Kids - December 3rd, 2017
- Are Termites Harmful to Humans? | Termite Treatment And ... - December 3rd, 2017
- Termite Identification | Termite Control DC, MD And Northern ... - November 26th, 2017
- What "Wood" a Termite Prefer To Eat? - November 25th, 2017
- Termites - All About Termites - DoMyOwnPestControl.com - November 25th, 2017
- Termite Inspection | Truly Nolen - November 24th, 2017
- Best 30 Termite Control in Villas, NJ with Reviews - YP.com - November 18th, 2017
- What Do Termites Look Like Exactly? Find Out How! - November 17th, 2017
- Subterranean Termites - How To Kill and Get Rid of ... - November 17th, 2017
- The Signs of Termite Infestation - Florida Pest Control - November 17th, 2017
- 9 Signs of Termites Infestation | Kill Termites Guide - November 17th, 2017
- Termite Control Cost Muskegon MI - Pest Control - ESFS - November 16th, 2017
- 4 Best Termite Control, Inspection Services - Waterbury CT ... - November 4th, 2017
- 3 Ways to Protect Your Home from Termites - wikiHow - October 16th, 2017
- How to Kill Termites: Best Ways to Get Rid of Termites ... - October 7th, 2017
- Termite Fast Facts: What You Need To Know - The Spruce - October 1st, 2017
- Formosan Termites - How to Kill and Get Rid of Formosan Termites - September 23rd, 2017
- Giving air to earthworms and termites - Farm Weekly - September 6th, 2017
- Meet the 'Terminator' of sanitary waste - Oherald - September 2nd, 2017
- UCA bear battling termites; options studied - Arkansas Online - August 31st, 2017
- Four hidden threats many homeowners miss - KTAR.com - August 31st, 2017
- Tracking Guelph's 2017 termite zones - GuelphMercury.com - August 31st, 2017
- How To: Get Rid of Flying Ants - BobVila.com - August 31st, 2017
- Termites nibbling away at Bismillah Khan's citations | Varanasi ... - Times of India - August 29th, 2017
- Termites eat into village, locals flee - Times of India - August 28th, 2017
- Termite outbreak empties out Almora village - Times of India - August 27th, 2017
- Faith Lift: Termites - The Baytown Sun - August 26th, 2017
- Termites Springfield VA | Termite Control & Treatment - August 26th, 2017
- OP: A little less you're either with us or against us and a little more the enemy of my enemy is my ally - Western Herald - August 26th, 2017
- Top tips to protect your home against termites - The Standard - August 22nd, 2017
- Termites, damp, asbestos: Craig Reucassel's 'winning' home trifecta - Victor Harbor Times - August 19th, 2017
- On the termite 'brick' trail - The Hindu - August 19th, 2017
- Maintenance man Adam Titcombe dines on termites and a tarantula in fundraising challenge for Downham Market care ... - Norfolk Eastern Daily Press - August 13th, 2017
- Downham Market man set to eat worms, crickets, termites - and giant tarantula - Norfolk Eastern Daily Press - August 11th, 2017
- PDP house won't be rebuilt with termites infested woods Fayose - Vanguard - August 8th, 2017
- Businesses get another option for disaster recovery - Kinston Free Press - August 5th, 2017
- Termites | Opinion, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com - Philippine Star - August 3rd, 2017
- Connecting the dots on biodiversity and agriculture - GreenBiz - August 3rd, 2017
- Brazil dam gives geckos big heads, scientists say - GCR - August 3rd, 2017
- A Dam in Brazil Has Altered the Course of Evolution - Atlas Obscura - August 1st, 2017
- From bits to boluses: How do termites build strong mounds? - Research Matters - August 1st, 2017
- Geckos evolve rapidly in Brazil after new dam constructed - Science Magazine - August 1st, 2017
- Study finds aardvarks suffering as African climate heats up - San Francisco Chronicle - August 1st, 2017
- Wood-hungry termites have intricate caste system - Blair Enterprise Publishing - July 31st, 2017
- Study finds aardvarks suffering as African climate heats up - GuelphToday - July 31st, 2017
- A Method in the Madness: How Termites Build and Repair Their Mounds - The Wire - July 31st, 2017
- Eat worms, locusts and termites in creepy crawly pop-up restaurant challenge at Hawley Fayre - Get Surrey - July 6th, 2017
- NMSU doctoral student receives NASA Earth and Space Science Fellowship - KRWG - July 4th, 2017
- St. Augustine City Hall and Lightner Museum gets tented for termites ... - Florida Times-Union - June 30th, 2017
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.