Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
If bitten or stung:
Clean the area with soap and water, apply ice to slow the spread of venom. Seek medical treatment immediately if bitten by a black widow or brown recluse spider.
Important advice to avoid bites and stings: Never put your hands or fingers into or under an object you havent checked. Shake out boots and gloves before using.
All three of these creepy crawlers eat unwanted insects in fact, they may even eat each other. But who wants black widow spiders, scorpions or centipedes inside the home?
The bites or stings can be painful or life-threatening in rare cases.
Lets start with the arachnids. The most venomous spiders in the Quad-city area are the black widow and the brown recluse. The hairy wolf spider might be the ugliest, but its bite is not venomous.
The female black widow so named because they can eat their mate is recognized by its shiny black round shape and the red/orange hourglass on its abdomen. The males are not venomous.
Their webs are strongly built, but disorderly in appearance. They are nocturnal, hiding during the day in dark protected areas like under ledges, in corners of attics and sheds, and in woodpiles. While they are not aggressive, they will bite if accidentally disturbed or to protect their egg sacs.
Some people may not realize they have been bitten; others may feel immediate pain, burning, swelling and redness. Symptoms can include muscle aches, abdominal pain, breathing difficulties, excessive sweating and nausea. Black widow bites are hardly ever fatal.
The brown recluse spider is recognized by a dark violin-shaped mark on its back. It, too, likes woodpiles, tree stumps, unused cupboards, and space behind dressers and bookshelves.
Its bite produces a mild stinging and redness followed by severe pain within eight hours or so. There may be fever, chills and body aches. Most of the time, the bite heals in about week. Sometimes, however, a blister forms surrounded by a blue or purple area, which can evolve into a deep ulcer.
Mayoclinic.org recommends seeking prompt medical care if you suspect the bite is from a poisonous spider. If possible, capture the spider in a glass jar or container to bring with you.
Dave Coons, Pest Guard Pest & Termite, a local business, said as the weather changes, spiders and other insects are out and about looking for food and new areas to build homes.
Humans and domestic pets all have different reactions from these bites, Coons said, and it is advised to call poison control to describe symptoms or go to your local emergency room for treatment.
Scorpions have eight legs, lobster-like pinchers, and a tail that curves upward. Several species live in this area, but the most poisonous the small, nearly transparent, bark scorpion exists a little further south of Prescott, Coons said. They sting rather than bite, and are rarely fatal unless a person has a severe allergic reaction.
Also nocturnal, scorpions can be located in the dark by using an ultraviolet light (black light) where they glow a neon blue.
Most stings produce numbness and tingling around the site. The effects of venom in small children and the elderly may include difficulty breathing, muscle twitching and unusual head and eye movements, drooling, nausea, vomiting and inconsolable crying, the Mayoclinic.org site states.
Centipedes are arthropods, which also includes insects, spiders, and crustaceans, explains Jeff Schalau, with the University of Arizona Cooperative Extension.
They are not harmful to food, clothes, furniture, or other items within homes, although their presence can be unnerving, he said his Backyard Gardener column.
Centipedes are beneficial, predatory members of local ecosystems, and can rid a household of termites, roaches and spiders. They like damp places, under sinks, and also in storage spaces, bedding and clothing.
Because they eat many common pests, centipedes are considered beneficial when outdoors, Schalau said.
Each body segment joins the next. On the first segment behind the head, the centipede has hollow tubes, with openings at their sharpened tips that function as fangs, which are attached to venom glands, and are used to kill prey.
The bite, while rare, is considered about as serious as a bee sting. Redness, swelling and itching may last several hours to several days.
To rid your home of all three of these pests, keep the home dusted and vacuumed regularly; make it a place where insects these pests food supply are not welcome.
Most insects feed off of other insects, so an ongoing pest program reduces the food source, which reduces the entire population trying to invade your home, Coons said.
Store clothing in plastic bins with tight-fitting lids. Use a vacuum to reach indoor spiders, immediately removing, securely tying up the vacuum bag, and placing it in the trash outside. Unless sprayed directly onto the spider, pesticides dont work on the webs; spiders tiny feet cant pick up pesticide residue.
After finding their webs, return after nightfall with a flashlight, thick gloves and boots. Spray directly with insecticide or squash with a stick or shoe.
Seal small cracks in windows and doors with a caulking gun. Use weather stripping around windows and doors, and a door sweep on exterior doors.
Sticky traps along floorboards and in corners can catch unwanted insects. Schalau recommends using tongs and a jar to catch and release centipedes, as they are beneficial in the yard.
Exterminators can use stronger chemicals and get to hard-to-reach places. They are prohibited from spraying firewood. Keep your wood stacked away from the house and dont store indoors.
Some anecdotal natural preventatives include peppermint, eucalyptus, tea tree oil, neem and citrus oils. Mix 5-7 drops with warm water in spray bottle and spray under furniture and in corners. Add white vinegar for additional effectiveness.
Diatomaceous earth, a type of dried algae, causes dehydration in bugs and insects. Use a food-grade product and sprinkle around windowsills, doorways and baseboards.
Try planting lavender around the perimeter of the home. Place cedar chips around the outside foundation and in flowerbeds as a natural deterrent. Try a cat or chicken.
Spiders, scorpions and centipedes – The Daily Courier
- Learn the BEST Termite Control Products, Methods ... - April 21st, 2019
- Best Termite Treatment - March 2019: Find Termite Control ... - April 5th, 2019
- When is Termite Treatment Necessary in the North & East Bay? - April 5th, 2019
- Termite Treatment & Control Phoenix, Mesa Arizona | Free ... - April 1st, 2019
- Get Rid of Rodents With Pest Control Kennesaw - March 17th, 2019
- Termite Treatments California | 2 Year Warranty - March 16th, 2019
- Termites: Types, Facts & How to Identify Them - 15% Off ... - February 25th, 2019
- Types of Subterranean, Drywood Termite Treatments - February 24th, 2019
- Termite Treatment - North Jersey Termite - January 31st, 2019
- Effective Termite Treatment | EarthRite Findlay, OH - January 31st, 2019
- Types of Termite Treatment | Massey Services, Inc. - January 31st, 2019
- No-Tent Termite Treatments in Tampa, Clearwater, St. Pete ... - January 31st, 2019
- Termite Treatment - Phoenix, AZ | Blue Sky Pest Control - January 31st, 2019
- Termite Treatment Services in San Jose and Bay Area by Planet ... - January 31st, 2019
- Termite Frass - A Sign Of Termites Anyone Can Identify - October 16th, 2018
- Top 6 Best Termite Treatments | Updated for 2018 - September 29th, 2018
- Termite Treatments: Chemical & Baiting | Ehrlich Pest Control - September 25th, 2018
- Termite Treatment DIY Projects Craft Ideas & How Tos for ... - September 25th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Options | Western Exterminator - September 22nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment in Florida | Fahey Pest - August 2nd, 2018
- Termite Elimination - Budget Brothers Termite - July 8th, 2018
- Termite Treatment | Termite Inspection | Dawsons Australia - July 4th, 2018
- Subterranean Termite Treatment Guide - DoMyOwn.com - July 2nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment - Sentricon System | Steve's Pest Control - May 18th, 2018
- Cost of Termite Treatment - Phoenix Az - Bills Pest ... - May 18th, 2018
- 2018 Average Termite Treatment Cost (with Price Factors) - April 22nd, 2018
- DIY Termite Treatment That Is Actually Effective - March 22nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment - Bug House Pest Control - March 12th, 2018
- Termidor Termite Treatment Spray - domyown.com - March 12th, 2018
- Termite Control, Termite Treatment - March 9th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Cost and Inspection Cost Guide - March 7th, 2018
- Types of Termite Treatments - Orkin.com - March 5th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Cost - FightBugs.com - March 4th, 2018
- The Average Cost of Termite Treatment | Action Termite & Pest ... - March 4th, 2018
- How Much Does a Termite Treatment & Inspection Cost? | Do My Own - March 1st, 2018
- No-Tent vs. Tent Termite Treatment | Command Pest Control - February 19th, 2018
- Prevent Termite Damage With Termite Control and Treatment Tips - February 17th, 2018
- Termite Control & Prevention Services | Massey Services, Inc. - January 23rd, 2018
- The Best Termite Companies in Los Angeles, CA (with Free ... - January 22nd, 2018
- The 10 Best Termite Companies in Miami , FL (with ... - Thumbtack - January 22nd, 2018
- Preventive Termite Treatment - Locate Effective Preventive ... - January 13th, 2018
- Termites in Nebraska - Omaha, Lincoln, Bellevue NE - January 5th, 2018
- Termidor Termite Treatment Brisbane - Pest Control and ... - January 2nd, 2018
- Termite Treatments Process | Raleigh, Cary, Wake Forest NC - December 15th, 2017
- Top Three Termite Treatment Methods - HomeTeam Pest Defense - December 15th, 2017
- Subterranean Termite Treatment Guide - How to Get Rid of ... - November 27th, 2017
- 2017 Termite Control Service Cost | Termite Treatment Cost - November 27th, 2017
- Termite treatment, exterminator, inspections,control,wdi's - November 21st, 2017
- Learn the Best Termite Control Products, Methods, Companies ... - November 13th, 2017
- 5 Best Termite Control, Inspection Services - Ashburn VA ... - November 12th, 2017
- Termite Treatment Methods - Orange Oil Termite Control - October 1st, 2017
- Bethesda Termite Exterminators - Capitol Pest - October 1st, 2017
- Termite Treatment - Slug-A-Bug Pest Control - September 26th, 2017
- Is tentless termite treatment better or worse then tenting ... - September 26th, 2017
- Termite Byte - The Local Termite Treatment Experts! - September 26th, 2017
- Arizona Pest Control | Tucson Termite Control Experts - September 26th, 2017
- Best 30 Termite in Secaucus, New Jersey with Reviews - YP.com - September 23rd, 2017
- Termite Traps, Bait and Control - Termitrust | Termitrust - September 6th, 2017
- The Average Cost of Termite Treatment | Termite Treatment And ... - September 5th, 2017
- Termite Treatment - The Big Green K - September 5th, 2017
- Letter: New construction - Charleston Post Courier - September 5th, 2017
- From cruise ship brewmaster to hurricane hunter, these are some of our unusual jobs - Miami Herald - September 3rd, 2017
- Face of Pest Control - My New Orleans - September 2nd, 2017
- Rochester NY Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - August 31st, 2017
- Council gives $20K to preserve landmarks - Sedona Red Rock News - August 31st, 2017
- Termite Treatments Dallas / Fort Worth - gotbugs.com - August 29th, 2017
- Orange oil termite treatment - Termite Web - August 29th, 2017
- Solving the ecological mystery of Africa's fairy circles - CU Boulder Today - August 25th, 2017
- Md. Couple's Termite Warranty Fails After Their Pest Control Company Is Bought Out - NBC4 Washington - August 25th, 2017
- Patrick Miller Prepares for New School Year at Webster - Malibu Times - August 19th, 2017
- Southwest projects continue to progress - Cassville Democrat - August 19th, 2017
- Leaf cutting ants, fig beetles, can be tough to get rid of - Arizona Daily Star - August 6th, 2017
- School board to meet briefly on Thursday - Davis Enterprise - August 1st, 2017
- Blog: The dampwood termite - Delta-Optimist (blog) - July 11th, 2017
- Pest prevention: Keep water away from the house - GoErie.com - July 8th, 2017
- Experience has Produced a Leader In Omaha ... - Digital Journal - Digital Journal (press release) - July 6th, 2017
- Atlanta Home Goes Green - Builder Magazine - July 6th, 2017
- Upgrading, maintenance of schools - The Star Online - July 2nd, 2017
- NEWS IN BRIEF FOR ST. JOHNS COUNTY, ST. AUGUSTINE & SURROUNDING AREAS - St. Augustine Record - July 2nd, 2017
- Man Broke into Termite Tented Homes, St. Pete Police Say - TB Reporter (registration) (blog) - June 29th, 2017
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.