Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Determining the best termite treatment first requires an understanding of the type of infestation present in your home or structure.
When you take into account that termites cost businesses and homeowners billions of dollars in damages every year it is no surprise that of all the pests that can harm a home, termites are the most notorious. Yet many homeowners simply do not know very much about these tiny insects or what to do if they are discovered colonizing within the walls of their property.
It is our goal to make you more aware and informed about termites and the various treatments that work best for the different types of termites as well as different types of infestations.
There is no single termite treatment that is better than others because it all depends on what kind of infestation you have. How large and aged the infestation is as well as what kind of termites are present in your structure and how vulnerable your house is to a repeat infestation depending on what region of the world you live in are all factors that professional exterminators will take into account when deciding on the best treatment option for your home.
First of all, termites are continually reproducing and the size of their colony grows larger with time. The size of a five-year-old termite colony may reach several thousand termites where the size of a thirty-year-old termite colony may grow to millions of termites. Because of this, an older termite colony can obviously cause much more damage and will often require different treatment methods as well as more extensive repair of affected wood.
If you have an infestation in your house that is relatively new then sometimes what is known as spot treatment could be a good option. This is just what it sounds like. If the infestation is limited to a small area or spot the exterminator can simply treat just that area. This is a relatively simple procedure that some homeowners will choose to do themselves.
If your structure has been infested for a considerably longer amount of time then the best way to eliminate the established termite colony would be to have a thorough fumigation conducted. This is something that should be done by a professional pest control personnel. Some people will be tempted to try to use simple insect sprays but usually ineffective for getting rid of termites because termites live, eat, reproduce and tunnel inside the wood away from the reach of spray.
If you have a newer house you are most likely less at risk than if you own an older house but it depends on what state you live in. Most states require a professional termite inspection be conducted and documented prior to the sale of any real estate. If any termites are found during this inspection they must be professionally exterminated and documented as well as damages repaired prior to the sale.
The average home is sold every 5 to 10 years and have this inspection conducted and if need be an extermination conducted as well. Fortunately, this is not enough time for a typical termite colony to grow to a size where extensive damage can be done. Termites may continually reproduce and eat the cellulose from the wood of your home but they do this fairly slowly.
If you have owned your home for a longer period than that then if may be a good idea to have yearly inspections done. Many people neglect this important task of home ownership and termites can establish large colonies over a period of a few decades. When these termite colonies grow to such a large size they can cause significant damage to a structure and the cost of treating them increases as well.
If you are one of those homeowners who unfortunately discovers that you have a well developed and older termite colony present in the structure you live in it would be best for you to get a thorough fumigation conducted.
One of the best form of treatment for termites on the market is solid prevention. This is also known as termite pre-treatment. This can be achieved through many methods but the main ones are the following:
The main gist of all these things is to not give the termites any reason to be within proximity of your home or property because even if they are gnawing their way through a dead branch in your yard, that means they are just that much closer to your house not good. Dont give termites a reason to be near your house!
Now lets explore the different treatment options available today to give you a better idea of some that might fit your situation:
Some people prefer to opt for more natural termite control methods when they are viable. Luckily, there are some very effective natural control methods available. One of the more common and popular treatments at the moment is orange oil treatment for termite infestations but it is really only effective for spot treatment of a limited termite infestation.
A termite bait is not intended to kill termites immediately. Instead, it is meant to contaminate termites who come in contact with the bait and then rely on the social nature of termites to carry the poison back and spread it to the entire colony. The goal is for it to eventually kill the queen termite since without her the termite colony will perish.
Keep in mind this doesnt happen overnight. It can take up to a year or longer depending on how extensive the infestation is. Another factor that affects the total amount of time from initial contact with the baiting system until the queen termites death is what time of the year the treatment first takes place.
For instance, if the bait system is emplaced in the fall, it will take longer to reach and kill the queen since termites slow down and are less active during winter months. If you emplace the bait systems during the spring, the opposite is true.
Both heat treatment and fumigation are known as whole structure termite treatments and are intended to do as the name implies treat your entire structure!
Whole structure fumigation or heat treatment is usually recommended only after an established drywood termite colony is identified by a professional termite inspection. The other approach besides whole structure termite treatments, would be protective wood treatments, but his is more of a preventative measure than a way to get rid of drywood termites.
Heat treatment, which is sometimes called termite heat fumigation, very similar to fumigation but instead of using fumigant pesticides, it uses heat to kill termites.
Termite specialists set up special heaters to spread hot air through the home, typically between 120 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit. To kill drywood termites, the internal temperature of the wood must reach at least 120 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 35 degrees. This is because drywood termites live and take shelter inside wood. A big benefit of heat treatment over fumigation is that heat treatment usually takes less than a day and avoids the need for using fumigants.
There are some risks to heat treatment:
- Termite Frass - A Sign Of Termites Anyone Can Identify - October 16th, 2018
- Top 6 Best Termite Treatments | Updated for 2018 - September 29th, 2018
- Termite Treatments: Chemical & Baiting | Ehrlich Pest Control - September 25th, 2018
- Termite Treatment DIY Projects Craft Ideas & How Tos for ... - September 25th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Options | Western Exterminator - September 22nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment in Florida | Fahey Pest - August 2nd, 2018
- Termite Elimination - Budget Brothers Termite - July 8th, 2018
- Termite Treatment | Termite Inspection | Dawsons Australia - July 4th, 2018
- Subterranean Termite Treatment Guide - DoMyOwn.com - July 2nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment - Sentricon System | Steve's Pest Control - May 18th, 2018
- Cost of Termite Treatment - Phoenix Az - Bills Pest ... - May 18th, 2018
- 2018 Average Termite Treatment Cost (with Price Factors) - April 22nd, 2018
- DIY Termite Treatment That Is Actually Effective - March 22nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment - Bug House Pest Control - March 12th, 2018
- Termidor Termite Treatment Spray - domyown.com - March 12th, 2018
- Termite Control, Termite Treatment - March 9th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Cost and Inspection Cost Guide - March 7th, 2018
- Types of Termite Treatments - Orkin.com - March 5th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Cost - FightBugs.com - March 4th, 2018
- The Average Cost of Termite Treatment | Action Termite & Pest ... - March 4th, 2018
- How Much Does a Termite Treatment & Inspection Cost? | Do My Own - March 1st, 2018
- No-Tent vs. Tent Termite Treatment | Command Pest Control - February 19th, 2018
- Prevent Termite Damage With Termite Control and Treatment Tips - February 17th, 2018
- Termite Control & Prevention Services | Massey Services, Inc. - January 23rd, 2018
- The Best Termite Companies in Los Angeles, CA (with Free ... - January 22nd, 2018
- The 10 Best Termite Companies in Miami , FL (with ... - Thumbtack - January 22nd, 2018
- Preventive Termite Treatment - Locate Effective Preventive ... - January 13th, 2018
- Termites in Nebraska - Omaha, Lincoln, Bellevue NE - January 5th, 2018
- Termidor Termite Treatment Brisbane - Pest Control and ... - January 2nd, 2018
- Termite Treatments Process | Raleigh, Cary, Wake Forest NC - December 15th, 2017
- Top Three Termite Treatment Methods - HomeTeam Pest Defense - December 15th, 2017
- Subterranean Termite Treatment Guide - How to Get Rid of ... - November 27th, 2017
- 2017 Termite Control Service Cost | Termite Treatment Cost - November 27th, 2017
- Termite treatment, exterminator, inspections,control,wdi's - November 21st, 2017
- 5 Best Termite Control, Inspection Services - Ashburn VA ... - November 12th, 2017
- Termite Treatment Methods - Orange Oil Termite Control - October 1st, 2017
- Bethesda Termite Exterminators - Capitol Pest - October 1st, 2017
- Termite Treatment - Slug-A-Bug Pest Control - September 26th, 2017
- Is tentless termite treatment better or worse then tenting ... - September 26th, 2017
- Termite Byte - The Local Termite Treatment Experts! - September 26th, 2017
- Arizona Pest Control | Tucson Termite Control Experts - September 26th, 2017
- Best 30 Termite in Secaucus, New Jersey with Reviews - YP.com - September 23rd, 2017
- Termite Traps, Bait and Control - Termitrust | Termitrust - September 6th, 2017
- The Average Cost of Termite Treatment | Termite Treatment And ... - September 5th, 2017
- Termite Treatment - The Big Green K - September 5th, 2017
- Letter: New construction - Charleston Post Courier - September 5th, 2017
- From cruise ship brewmaster to hurricane hunter, these are some of our unusual jobs - Miami Herald - September 3rd, 2017
- Face of Pest Control - My New Orleans - September 2nd, 2017
- Rochester NY Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - August 31st, 2017
- Council gives $20K to preserve landmarks - Sedona Red Rock News - August 31st, 2017
- Termite Treatments Dallas / Fort Worth - gotbugs.com - August 29th, 2017
- Orange oil termite treatment - Termite Web - August 29th, 2017
- Solving the ecological mystery of Africa's fairy circles - CU Boulder Today - August 25th, 2017
- Md. Couple's Termite Warranty Fails After Their Pest Control Company Is Bought Out - NBC4 Washington - August 25th, 2017
- Patrick Miller Prepares for New School Year at Webster - Malibu Times - August 19th, 2017
- Southwest projects continue to progress - Cassville Democrat - August 19th, 2017
- Leaf cutting ants, fig beetles, can be tough to get rid of - Arizona Daily Star - August 6th, 2017
- School board to meet briefly on Thursday - Davis Enterprise - August 1st, 2017
- Blog: The dampwood termite - Delta-Optimist (blog) - July 11th, 2017
- Pest prevention: Keep water away from the house - GoErie.com - July 8th, 2017
- Experience has Produced a Leader In Omaha ... - Digital Journal - Digital Journal (press release) - July 6th, 2017
- Atlanta Home Goes Green - Builder Magazine - July 6th, 2017
- Upgrading, maintenance of schools - The Star Online - July 2nd, 2017
- NEWS IN BRIEF FOR ST. JOHNS COUNTY, ST. AUGUSTINE & SURROUNDING AREAS - St. Augustine Record - July 2nd, 2017
- Man Broke into Termite Tented Homes, St. Pete Police Say - TB Reporter (registration) (blog) - June 29th, 2017
- With 'Signature' project, Westline, MFar set to create history in Mangaluru - Daijiworld.com - June 22nd, 2017
- Imperial Pest Prevention teaches homeowners about Termite Swarms and How to identify an infestation - satPRnews (press release) - June 7th, 2017
- Candlelight vigil held for victim of alleged DUI hit and run - WPMI Local 15 News - May 21st, 2017
- Head lice killer linked to abnormal behaviour in children - Daily Advertiser - May 17th, 2017
- Call for nationwide termite action plan - Yahoo7 News - May 10th, 2017
- Imperial Pest Prevention Celebrates its 4th Year Anniversary in a unique way - PRUnderground (press release) - May 10th, 2017
- Termite Treatment - stevespestcontrol.com - May 9th, 2017
- Brezden Pest Warns of Increase in Spiders on KSBY-TV - Press ... - Digital Journal - May 6th, 2017
- Spiders, scorpions and centipedes - The Daily Courier - May 5th, 2017
- Mosquitoes in May - Winchester Herald Chronicle - April 26th, 2017
- New Distribution for Poly Plugs - PCT Magazine - April 18th, 2017
- Huge discovery about ants stuns scientists - BABW News - April 13th, 2017
- Post Termite Treatment - McGrath Pest Control - April 10th, 2017
- Why soil treatment with JDI's HomeTrek is vital for a termite-free home - Malaya - April 5th, 2017
- Pest Management Strategies At The Building Envelope - Facility Executive Magazine - March 31st, 2017
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.