Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Scientists have just made an astonishing discovery about ants, and one they werent exactly expecting to find. The study, published in the journal Science Advances, claims that ants actually rescue their fallen comrades.
And this behavior provides a tremendous benefit to the colony, as without the fallen ants, the colony sizes would be a third smaller because injured ants die if they arent helped home, according to a statement from the University of Wurzburg.
Researchers came to this conclusion by studying hunting ants in Africa who raid termite nests. The Megaponera analis ants live in sub-Saharan African, and multiple times per day up to 500 ants will attack a termite nest. The ants carry the dead termites back to the nest for feeding. These fierce battles often lead to casualties for the ants, though, prompting this fascinating behavior.
The full statement follows below.
The African Matabele ants (Megaponera analis) are widespread south of the Sahara and are a specialised termite predator. Two to four times a day, the ants set out to hunt prey. Proceeding in long files, they raid termites at their foraging sites, killing many workers and hauling the prey back to their nest.
These attacks, however, are met with resistance and the ants get involved in fights with termites of the soldier caste. Injury and mortality can occur during such combats, as the soldiers are very adept at using their powerful jaws to fend off the attackers.
So the invasions bear an increased risk of injury. For this reason, the ants have developed a rescue behaviour hitherto unknown in insects:
Chemical signal triggers rescue
When an ant is injured in a fight, it will call its mates for help by excreting chemical substances. The injured insect is then carried back to the nest where it can recover after receiving treatment. What is the therapy like? Usually, treatment involves removing the termites still clinging to the ant.
A german research team of the University of Wrzburgs Biocentre has discovered this rescue behaviour of Megaponera analis and describes it in the journal Science Advances. Erik Frank, Thomas Schmitt, Thomas Hovestadt, Oliver Mitesser, Jonas Stiegler, and Karl Eduard Linsenmair, all from the Chair of Animal Ecology and Tropical Biology, have participated in the research.
Rescuing the injured pays off
We have observed helping behaviour vis–vis injured animals for the first time in invertebrates, says Ph.D. student Erik Frank. This was an unexpected finding, especially for social insects, where individuals are usually of little value. But obviously, it pays off for the colony as a whole to invest in the rescue service as the researchers demonstrate in their publication.
Heres what Wikipedia says about this species, in part.
Megaponera analis is the sole species of the genus Megaponera. They are a strictly termite-eating (termitophagous) ponerine ant species widely distributed in Sub-Saharan Africa and most commonly known for their column-like raiding formation when attacking termite feeding sites. Their sophisticated raiding behaviour gave them the common name Matabele ant after the Matabele tribe, fierce warriors who overwhelmed various other tribes during the 1800s. At nearly 20 millimetres (0.79 in) in length, M. analis is one of the worlds largest ants.
Megaponera is a genus of ponerine ant first defined by Gustav Mayr in 1862 for Formica analis (Latreille, 1802), the sole species belonging to the genus to date. In 1994 William L. Brown, Jr. synonymised the genus under Pachycondyla even though he lacked phylogenetic justification, thereby changing the name from Megaponera foetens to Pachycondyla analis. In 2014 Schmidt and Shattuck revived Megaponera back to full genus status due to both molecular and morphological evidence. Since foetens was just a specific epithet incorrectly used throughout the literature the new name for the species as of June 2014 is Megaponera analis.
The size of worker ants varies between 518 millimetres (0.200.71 in), with larger workers making up to 50 percent of the colony. Though it was often suggested that the larger ants also function as gamergates, they were never observed laying fertile eggs, a function solely reserved to the ergatoid queen. Even though M. analis is often referred to as dimorphic, with a major and minor caste, they actually exhibit polyphasic allometry[clarification needed] in worker sizes. The variations among the ants are mostly in size and pubescence (with minors having less), although differences in the mandibles have also been observed, with minors having smoother mandibles compared to majors.
The rest is here:
Huge discovery about ants stuns scientists – BABW News
- Termite Treatment - North Jersey Termite - January 31st, 2019
- Effective Termite Treatment | EarthRite Findlay, OH - January 31st, 2019
- Types of Termite Treatment | Massey Services, Inc. - January 31st, 2019
- No-Tent Termite Treatments in Tampa, Clearwater, St. Pete ... - January 31st, 2019
- Termite Treatment - Phoenix, AZ | Blue Sky Pest Control - January 31st, 2019
- Termite Treatment Services in San Jose and Bay Area by Planet ... - January 31st, 2019
- Termite Frass - A Sign Of Termites Anyone Can Identify - October 16th, 2018
- Top 6 Best Termite Treatments | Updated for 2018 - September 29th, 2018
- Termite Treatments: Chemical & Baiting | Ehrlich Pest Control - September 25th, 2018
- Termite Treatment DIY Projects Craft Ideas & How Tos for ... - September 25th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Options | Western Exterminator - September 22nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment in Florida | Fahey Pest - August 2nd, 2018
- Termite Elimination - Budget Brothers Termite - July 8th, 2018
- Termite Treatment | Termite Inspection | Dawsons Australia - July 4th, 2018
- Subterranean Termite Treatment Guide - DoMyOwn.com - July 2nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment - Sentricon System | Steve's Pest Control - May 18th, 2018
- Cost of Termite Treatment - Phoenix Az - Bills Pest ... - May 18th, 2018
- 2018 Average Termite Treatment Cost (with Price Factors) - April 22nd, 2018
- DIY Termite Treatment That Is Actually Effective - March 22nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment - Bug House Pest Control - March 12th, 2018
- Termidor Termite Treatment Spray - domyown.com - March 12th, 2018
- Termite Control, Termite Treatment - March 9th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Cost and Inspection Cost Guide - March 7th, 2018
- Types of Termite Treatments - Orkin.com - March 5th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Cost - FightBugs.com - March 4th, 2018
- The Average Cost of Termite Treatment | Action Termite & Pest ... - March 4th, 2018
- How Much Does a Termite Treatment & Inspection Cost? | Do My Own - March 1st, 2018
- No-Tent vs. Tent Termite Treatment | Command Pest Control - February 19th, 2018
- Prevent Termite Damage With Termite Control and Treatment Tips - February 17th, 2018
- Termite Control & Prevention Services | Massey Services, Inc. - January 23rd, 2018
- The Best Termite Companies in Los Angeles, CA (with Free ... - January 22nd, 2018
- The 10 Best Termite Companies in Miami , FL (with ... - Thumbtack - January 22nd, 2018
- Preventive Termite Treatment - Locate Effective Preventive ... - January 13th, 2018
- Termites in Nebraska - Omaha, Lincoln, Bellevue NE - January 5th, 2018
- Termidor Termite Treatment Brisbane - Pest Control and ... - January 2nd, 2018
- Termite Treatments Process | Raleigh, Cary, Wake Forest NC - December 15th, 2017
- Top Three Termite Treatment Methods - HomeTeam Pest Defense - December 15th, 2017
- Subterranean Termite Treatment Guide - How to Get Rid of ... - November 27th, 2017
- 2017 Termite Control Service Cost | Termite Treatment Cost - November 27th, 2017
- Termite treatment, exterminator, inspections,control,wdi's - November 21st, 2017
- Learn the Best Termite Control Products, Methods, Companies ... - November 13th, 2017
- 5 Best Termite Control, Inspection Services - Ashburn VA ... - November 12th, 2017
- Termite Treatment Methods - Orange Oil Termite Control - October 1st, 2017
- Bethesda Termite Exterminators - Capitol Pest - October 1st, 2017
- Termite Treatment - Slug-A-Bug Pest Control - September 26th, 2017
- Is tentless termite treatment better or worse then tenting ... - September 26th, 2017
- Termite Byte - The Local Termite Treatment Experts! - September 26th, 2017
- Arizona Pest Control | Tucson Termite Control Experts - September 26th, 2017
- Best 30 Termite in Secaucus, New Jersey with Reviews - YP.com - September 23rd, 2017
- Termite Traps, Bait and Control - Termitrust | Termitrust - September 6th, 2017
- The Average Cost of Termite Treatment | Termite Treatment And ... - September 5th, 2017
- Termite Treatment - The Big Green K - September 5th, 2017
- Letter: New construction - Charleston Post Courier - September 5th, 2017
- From cruise ship brewmaster to hurricane hunter, these are some of our unusual jobs - Miami Herald - September 3rd, 2017
- Face of Pest Control - My New Orleans - September 2nd, 2017
- Rochester NY Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - August 31st, 2017
- Council gives $20K to preserve landmarks - Sedona Red Rock News - August 31st, 2017
- Termite Treatments Dallas / Fort Worth - gotbugs.com - August 29th, 2017
- Orange oil termite treatment - Termite Web - August 29th, 2017
- Solving the ecological mystery of Africa's fairy circles - CU Boulder Today - August 25th, 2017
- Md. Couple's Termite Warranty Fails After Their Pest Control Company Is Bought Out - NBC4 Washington - August 25th, 2017
- Patrick Miller Prepares for New School Year at Webster - Malibu Times - August 19th, 2017
- Southwest projects continue to progress - Cassville Democrat - August 19th, 2017
- Leaf cutting ants, fig beetles, can be tough to get rid of - Arizona Daily Star - August 6th, 2017
- School board to meet briefly on Thursday - Davis Enterprise - August 1st, 2017
- Blog: The dampwood termite - Delta-Optimist (blog) - July 11th, 2017
- Pest prevention: Keep water away from the house - GoErie.com - July 8th, 2017
- Experience has Produced a Leader In Omaha ... - Digital Journal - Digital Journal (press release) - July 6th, 2017
- Atlanta Home Goes Green - Builder Magazine - July 6th, 2017
- Upgrading, maintenance of schools - The Star Online - July 2nd, 2017
- NEWS IN BRIEF FOR ST. JOHNS COUNTY, ST. AUGUSTINE & SURROUNDING AREAS - St. Augustine Record - July 2nd, 2017
- Man Broke into Termite Tented Homes, St. Pete Police Say - TB Reporter (registration) (blog) - June 29th, 2017
- With 'Signature' project, Westline, MFar set to create history in Mangaluru - Daijiworld.com - June 22nd, 2017
- Imperial Pest Prevention teaches homeowners about Termite Swarms and How to identify an infestation - satPRnews (press release) - June 7th, 2017
- Candlelight vigil held for victim of alleged DUI hit and run - WPMI Local 15 News - May 21st, 2017
- Head lice killer linked to abnormal behaviour in children - Daily Advertiser - May 17th, 2017
- Call for nationwide termite action plan - Yahoo7 News - May 10th, 2017
- Imperial Pest Prevention Celebrates its 4th Year Anniversary in a unique way - PRUnderground (press release) - May 10th, 2017
- Termite Treatment - stevespestcontrol.com - May 9th, 2017
- Brezden Pest Warns of Increase in Spiders on KSBY-TV - Press ... - Digital Journal - May 6th, 2017
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.