Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
2 Mar 2017, 11 a.m.
Exposure to chemical insecticides called pyrethroids during pregnancy may affect your child’s behaviour, a study shows.
Ingredients found in head lice and scabies treatment products have been linked to behavioural difficulties in young children, scientists say.
A team of French researchers investigated whether prenatal or childhood exposure to pyrethroid, which is a group of synthetic chemical insecticides, had any impact on neurobehavioural development.
The study, which involved analysing the urine of 287 women while they were pregnant and that of their children six years later, established a link between pyrethroids and behavioural disorders in children.
It found that higher levels of a certain pyrethroid in the urine of the mums-to-be was associated with a heightened risk of “internalising” behaviours in their six-year-olds, such as being anxious and withdrawn.
It also found that levels of a different pyrethroid in the children’s urine samples was associated with a greater risk of “externalising” behaviours, such as being defiant and aggressive.
Children with the highest levels were around three times as likely to display abnormal behaviour.
“Identifying the potential causes [of neurodevelopmental deficits] that can be remediated is, therefore, of paramount public health importance,” the researchers from University of Rennes and University Hospital in France wrote.
Pyrethroids, which work by damaging the nerves, are found in a wide range of products, including head lice treatments, scabies creams, mosquito repellents and flea control for pets.
An ingredient called permethrin, which is part of the pyrethroid family, is in Johnson&Johnson’s ‘Lyclear Scabies Cream’, iNova’s ‘Pyrifoam Lice Breaker’, and Orion’s ‘Quellada Headlice Treatment’, according to the Therapeutic Goods Administration’s (TGA) database.
Whilst Lyclear instructs users to “keep [it] out of reach of children”, it also says it can be used on children between six months and two years of age under medical supervision.
Popular insecticide sprays sold at hardware stores, such as Yates, also contain pyrethroids.
The observational study, published in BMJ’s Occupational & Environmental Medicine, required the 287 mothers to fill in a detailed questionnaire on socioeconomic factors, lifestyle, their child’s behaviour, and various environmental exposures.
Psychologists then visited them and their children at home to undertake behavioural assessments, and to collect dust and urine samples for analysis.
They assessed the children’s behaviour, focusing particularly on altruism. The researchers believe that pyrethroids might alter neurochemical signalling in the brain.
But a counter-intuitive finding was that high levels of another type of pyrethroid in the children’s urine sample was associated with a lowered risk of externalising behaviours.
As an observational study, the researchers didn’t establish cause and effect.
Associate Professor Vincent Pettigrove from University of Melbourne said: “These results are very concerning as these chemicals are commonly used in urban areas of Australia, especially for termite control.”
Dr David Goddard, from Monash University’s Department of Epidemiology an Preventive Medicine, identified some weaknesses in the methodology, including the small size of the group.
“However, because the authors postulate a cellular mechanism for harm and their study subjects are mothers and their child, their findings could have an impact on community sentiment,” he said.
“A reasonable public health outcome based on this study would be that exposure to insecticides should not be greater than is required to control their intended pest target, but the study does not provide a firm enough basis to restrict use of pyrethroids.”
Professor Ian Rae, a chemicals expert at the University of Melbourne, said the French researchers were “operating near the limits of even modern analytical chemistry” and monitoring substances at concentrations “below the level of detection”.
“We are all exposed to them and live with traces in our tiny bodies of as many as several hundred substances produced by the chemical industry and used in domestic, industrial or agricultural settings,” he said.
“So, were the pesticides to blame in this case? Who can tell? Even the researchers admit that there could be ‘reverse causality’, that is, that children with behavioural problems (such as hyperactivity) might be somehow more exposed to pesticides.”
TGA is reviewing the new research to determine whether any action is required.
A Johnson&Johnson spokesperson said: “As with all of our medicines, we continuously monitor and welcome the latest scientific research that will improve the safety of our medicines.”
The story Head lice killer linked to abnormal behaviour in children first appeared on The Sydney Morning Herald.
- Learn the BEST Termite Control Products, Methods ... - April 21st, 2019
- Best Termite Treatment - March 2019: Find Termite Control ... - April 5th, 2019
- When is Termite Treatment Necessary in the North & East Bay? - April 5th, 2019
- Termite Treatment & Control Phoenix, Mesa Arizona | Free ... - April 1st, 2019
- Get Rid of Rodents With Pest Control Kennesaw - March 17th, 2019
- Termite Treatments California | 2 Year Warranty - March 16th, 2019
- Termites: Types, Facts & How to Identify Them - 15% Off ... - February 25th, 2019
- Types of Subterranean, Drywood Termite Treatments - February 24th, 2019
- Termite Treatment - North Jersey Termite - January 31st, 2019
- Effective Termite Treatment | EarthRite Findlay, OH - January 31st, 2019
- Types of Termite Treatment | Massey Services, Inc. - January 31st, 2019
- No-Tent Termite Treatments in Tampa, Clearwater, St. Pete ... - January 31st, 2019
- Termite Treatment - Phoenix, AZ | Blue Sky Pest Control - January 31st, 2019
- Termite Treatment Services in San Jose and Bay Area by Planet ... - January 31st, 2019
- Termite Frass - A Sign Of Termites Anyone Can Identify - October 16th, 2018
- Top 6 Best Termite Treatments | Updated for 2018 - September 29th, 2018
- Termite Treatments: Chemical & Baiting | Ehrlich Pest Control - September 25th, 2018
- Termite Treatment DIY Projects Craft Ideas & How Tos for ... - September 25th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Options | Western Exterminator - September 22nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment in Florida | Fahey Pest - August 2nd, 2018
- Termite Elimination - Budget Brothers Termite - July 8th, 2018
- Termite Treatment | Termite Inspection | Dawsons Australia - July 4th, 2018
- Subterranean Termite Treatment Guide - DoMyOwn.com - July 2nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment - Sentricon System | Steve's Pest Control - May 18th, 2018
- Cost of Termite Treatment - Phoenix Az - Bills Pest ... - May 18th, 2018
- 2018 Average Termite Treatment Cost (with Price Factors) - April 22nd, 2018
- DIY Termite Treatment That Is Actually Effective - March 22nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment - Bug House Pest Control - March 12th, 2018
- Termidor Termite Treatment Spray - domyown.com - March 12th, 2018
- Termite Control, Termite Treatment - March 9th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Cost and Inspection Cost Guide - March 7th, 2018
- Types of Termite Treatments - Orkin.com - March 5th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Cost - FightBugs.com - March 4th, 2018
- The Average Cost of Termite Treatment | Action Termite & Pest ... - March 4th, 2018
- How Much Does a Termite Treatment & Inspection Cost? | Do My Own - March 1st, 2018
- No-Tent vs. Tent Termite Treatment | Command Pest Control - February 19th, 2018
- Prevent Termite Damage With Termite Control and Treatment Tips - February 17th, 2018
- Termite Control & Prevention Services | Massey Services, Inc. - January 23rd, 2018
- The Best Termite Companies in Los Angeles, CA (with Free ... - January 22nd, 2018
- The 10 Best Termite Companies in Miami , FL (with ... - Thumbtack - January 22nd, 2018
- Preventive Termite Treatment - Locate Effective Preventive ... - January 13th, 2018
- Termites in Nebraska - Omaha, Lincoln, Bellevue NE - January 5th, 2018
- Termidor Termite Treatment Brisbane - Pest Control and ... - January 2nd, 2018
- Termite Treatments Process | Raleigh, Cary, Wake Forest NC - December 15th, 2017
- Top Three Termite Treatment Methods - HomeTeam Pest Defense - December 15th, 2017
- Subterranean Termite Treatment Guide - How to Get Rid of ... - November 27th, 2017
- 2017 Termite Control Service Cost | Termite Treatment Cost - November 27th, 2017
- Termite treatment, exterminator, inspections,control,wdi's - November 21st, 2017
- Learn the Best Termite Control Products, Methods, Companies ... - November 13th, 2017
- 5 Best Termite Control, Inspection Services - Ashburn VA ... - November 12th, 2017
- Termite Treatment Methods - Orange Oil Termite Control - October 1st, 2017
- Bethesda Termite Exterminators - Capitol Pest - October 1st, 2017
- Termite Treatment - Slug-A-Bug Pest Control - September 26th, 2017
- Is tentless termite treatment better or worse then tenting ... - September 26th, 2017
- Termite Byte - The Local Termite Treatment Experts! - September 26th, 2017
- Arizona Pest Control | Tucson Termite Control Experts - September 26th, 2017
- Best 30 Termite in Secaucus, New Jersey with Reviews - YP.com - September 23rd, 2017
- Termite Traps, Bait and Control - Termitrust | Termitrust - September 6th, 2017
- The Average Cost of Termite Treatment | Termite Treatment And ... - September 5th, 2017
- Termite Treatment - The Big Green K - September 5th, 2017
- Letter: New construction - Charleston Post Courier - September 5th, 2017
- From cruise ship brewmaster to hurricane hunter, these are some of our unusual jobs - Miami Herald - September 3rd, 2017
- Face of Pest Control - My New Orleans - September 2nd, 2017
- Rochester NY Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - August 31st, 2017
- Council gives $20K to preserve landmarks - Sedona Red Rock News - August 31st, 2017
- Termite Treatments Dallas / Fort Worth - gotbugs.com - August 29th, 2017
- Orange oil termite treatment - Termite Web - August 29th, 2017
- Solving the ecological mystery of Africa's fairy circles - CU Boulder Today - August 25th, 2017
- Md. Couple's Termite Warranty Fails After Their Pest Control Company Is Bought Out - NBC4 Washington - August 25th, 2017
- Patrick Miller Prepares for New School Year at Webster - Malibu Times - August 19th, 2017
- Southwest projects continue to progress - Cassville Democrat - August 19th, 2017
- Leaf cutting ants, fig beetles, can be tough to get rid of - Arizona Daily Star - August 6th, 2017
- School board to meet briefly on Thursday - Davis Enterprise - August 1st, 2017
- Blog: The dampwood termite - Delta-Optimist (blog) - July 11th, 2017
- Pest prevention: Keep water away from the house - GoErie.com - July 8th, 2017
- Experience has Produced a Leader In Omaha ... - Digital Journal - Digital Journal (press release) - July 6th, 2017
- Atlanta Home Goes Green - Builder Magazine - July 6th, 2017
- Upgrading, maintenance of schools - The Star Online - July 2nd, 2017
- NEWS IN BRIEF FOR ST. JOHNS COUNTY, ST. AUGUSTINE & SURROUNDING AREAS - St. Augustine Record - July 2nd, 2017
- Man Broke into Termite Tented Homes, St. Pete Police Say - TB Reporter (registration) (blog) - June 29th, 2017
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.