Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Written by PSN Rao | Published:March 4, 2017 1:54 am
As Indian cities grow older, the passage of time takes its toll on the infrastructure including its buildings. Over time, buildings start showing signs of deterioration and need constant repair. While proper maintenance can prolong the life of buildings, negligence often leads to causalities. Timely detection of deterioration and preservation of buildings can go a long way in making our urban landscape more habitable and safer.
The initial years of a building are the best years as very little maintenance is needed. However, over a period of time, deterioration slowly sets in. Therefore, while technical intervention is needed before, for designing and constructing a building, technical intervention is also needed after, for maintaining a building during its life cycle.
This is the most crucial area of maintenance. In the absence of daily cleaning of floors, they tend to accumulate dirt which leads to bad odour and unhygienic conditions. Over a period of time, cleaning stubborn stains becomes difficult. Also, regular dusting and cleaning of cobwebs is needed to keep the indoor air free from particulate matter. This has a major impact on the health of the occupants. Day-to-day maintenance using appropriate chemicals for cleaning sanitary ware in toilets is also necessary to maintain proper hygiene.
Internal walls need periodic upkeep in terms of painting at regular intervals. Paint acts as a protective cover on the plaster. Paint is more crucial on exterior walls as they are constantly exposed to the natural elements like heat, cold and rain. Often one may find small cracks on walls which could lead to chipping of plaster over a period of time. One needs to regularly take care of these by appropriate filler materials and surface preparation before applying the final coat of exterior paint. A good quality weather-resistant paint goes a long way in extending the life of a building. Sometimes, there could be patches of seepage, particularly around areas where there are pipes. This, coupled with growth of vegetation could lead to a lot of damage. If not attended to immediately, the damage could spread further and create more harm. Regular inspections and repairs where needed are necessary.
Doors and windows are the openings in a building that allow for movement, air circulation, light and ventilation. The use of glass has increased exponentially in recent years. Glass window panes need regular cleaning. Doors and windows, if made of timber, need regular painting/polishing so that the timber does not get damaged. Timber is also prone to attacks by termites which can cause damage. Wooden cupboards and wardrobes are also susceptible to termite attacks. Termite and pest control treatment at regular intervals is very necessary under such conditions.
Electrical wiring and outlets
Electric wiring and outlets are one of the most important areas where maintenance is very important as it is related to fire accidents which could be dangerous and fatal. Periodic checking for loose and hanging wires, sparking, etc. needs to be carried out. At times, with increase in the number of appliances, the load needs to be increased so that there is no strain on the system. Further, change in control boxes and wiring may also be warranted to ensure smooth and safe electrical functioning.
Roofs and waterproofing
Roofs need regular maintenance, particularly before the rainy season. Damaged roofs during rainy season could lead to leakage and weakening of the roof structure. It could also lead to corrosion of the steel bars in the roof. Blockage of drain pipes/rain water pipes and leaking overhead tanks are also potential areas for the structure to get weakened.
Buildings in coastal areas are often subjected to higher corrosion due to high humidity and higher salinity of water. Exterior building cracks, plaster damage, rain seepage, corrosion of bars and grills, etc. are more dangerous in buildings located in coastal areas. Such buildings are invariably also subjected to heavy rainfall due to coastal cyclones.
Nowadays, many conventional materials and products which are high on maintenance are being replaced by modern materials which are low on maintenance, easy to install and have better durability. It is better to replace conventional products in the building with such materials so that the life of the building is enhanced. Often, old flooring is replaced by new tiles, timber windows are replaced by UPVC (unplasticised polyvinyl chloride) windows, old wiring and switches are replaced with modern technology, etc.
Electro mechanical devices
In the case of large public buildings and residential complexes, there are additional factors such as lifts, elevators, vehicular parking, security, closed-circuit television (CCTV) camera and so on, which require specialised and periodic management. Fire safety is another highly specialised area which has several mandatory provisions which need to be taken care of at regular intervals.
Building maintenance also includes the maintenance of the surrounding grounds in terms of landscaping of the area. The aesthetics of a building are enhanced by the lan scaping around the building. This requires specialised care and attention on a day-to-day basis.
Water and waste management
Drinking water, waste water, building refuse, sewage, water harvesting, recycling, etc. are all specialised works in a building complex which require regular maintenance.
Building inspections and cycles of maintenance
Building maintenance requires trained professionals both at the worker level as well as at the supervisory level. Buildings have cycles of maintenance and these can be daily, weekly, monthly, seasonal, annual, emergency and so on. Professional building maintenance companies have now started making their presence felt in our country. Large building complexes have many mechanical, electrical and specialised components which need trained and skilled persons to carry out the maintenance. With buildings becoming more and more complex, it is not possible to do maintenance with the traditional maali, bijli and naali wala.
Deterioration of old buildings and safety concerns
Indian cities have many buildings which are quite old. These are buildings which could potentially be unsafe for habitation and require urgent repairs. When buildings fall in disrepair for a long time, they tend to deteriorate faster and become dangerous. Any collapse could lead to injuries and even be fatal to life. The frequent collapse of chawls in Mumbai is a classic example of building neglect. In almost all Indian cities, the old areas usually have derelict buildings. While the erstwhile Bombay had a Repair and Reconstruction Board to prop up select di lapidated buildings, other cities do not have any institutional mechanisms to support such repairs. The recent collapse of a part of a building in Connaught Place has once again brought this issue into focus. The situation becomes more complex when ageing buildings are in the heritage category where maintenance requires more sensitive attention.
While private owners of aged buildings may either get their buildings repaired or pull them down to redevelop, public buildings have a hard time putting comprehensive maintenance in place. The need of the hour is therefore for public building complexes to migrate to newer technologies, maintenance-free materials and systems and to engage professionals in periodic estate and facility management so that the buildings are safer.
- Termite Frass - A Sign Of Termites Anyone Can Identify - October 16th, 2018
- Top 6 Best Termite Treatments | Updated for 2018 - September 29th, 2018
- Termite Treatments: Chemical & Baiting | Ehrlich Pest Control - September 25th, 2018
- Termite Treatment DIY Projects Craft Ideas & How Tos for ... - September 25th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Options | Western Exterminator - September 22nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment in Florida | Fahey Pest - August 2nd, 2018
- Termite Elimination - Budget Brothers Termite - July 8th, 2018
- Termite Treatment | Termite Inspection | Dawsons Australia - July 4th, 2018
- Subterranean Termite Treatment Guide - DoMyOwn.com - July 2nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment - Sentricon System | Steve's Pest Control - May 18th, 2018
- Cost of Termite Treatment - Phoenix Az - Bills Pest ... - May 18th, 2018
- 2018 Average Termite Treatment Cost (with Price Factors) - April 22nd, 2018
- DIY Termite Treatment That Is Actually Effective - March 22nd, 2018
- Termite Treatment - Bug House Pest Control - March 12th, 2018
- Termidor Termite Treatment Spray - domyown.com - March 12th, 2018
- Termite Control, Termite Treatment - March 9th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Cost and Inspection Cost Guide - March 7th, 2018
- Types of Termite Treatments - Orkin.com - March 5th, 2018
- Termite Treatment Cost - FightBugs.com - March 4th, 2018
- The Average Cost of Termite Treatment | Action Termite & Pest ... - March 4th, 2018
- How Much Does a Termite Treatment & Inspection Cost? | Do My Own - March 1st, 2018
- No-Tent vs. Tent Termite Treatment | Command Pest Control - February 19th, 2018
- Prevent Termite Damage With Termite Control and Treatment Tips - February 17th, 2018
- Termite Control & Prevention Services | Massey Services, Inc. - January 23rd, 2018
- The Best Termite Companies in Los Angeles, CA (with Free ... - January 22nd, 2018
- The 10 Best Termite Companies in Miami , FL (with ... - Thumbtack - January 22nd, 2018
- Preventive Termite Treatment - Locate Effective Preventive ... - January 13th, 2018
- Termites in Nebraska - Omaha, Lincoln, Bellevue NE - January 5th, 2018
- Termidor Termite Treatment Brisbane - Pest Control and ... - January 2nd, 2018
- Termite Treatments Process | Raleigh, Cary, Wake Forest NC - December 15th, 2017
- Top Three Termite Treatment Methods - HomeTeam Pest Defense - December 15th, 2017
- Subterranean Termite Treatment Guide - How to Get Rid of ... - November 27th, 2017
- 2017 Termite Control Service Cost | Termite Treatment Cost - November 27th, 2017
- Termite treatment, exterminator, inspections,control,wdi's - November 21st, 2017
- Learn the Best Termite Control Products, Methods, Companies ... - November 13th, 2017
- 5 Best Termite Control, Inspection Services - Ashburn VA ... - November 12th, 2017
- Termite Treatment Methods - Orange Oil Termite Control - October 1st, 2017
- Bethesda Termite Exterminators - Capitol Pest - October 1st, 2017
- Termite Treatment - Slug-A-Bug Pest Control - September 26th, 2017
- Is tentless termite treatment better or worse then tenting ... - September 26th, 2017
- Termite Byte - The Local Termite Treatment Experts! - September 26th, 2017
- Arizona Pest Control | Tucson Termite Control Experts - September 26th, 2017
- Best 30 Termite in Secaucus, New Jersey with Reviews - YP.com - September 23rd, 2017
- Termite Traps, Bait and Control - Termitrust | Termitrust - September 6th, 2017
- The Average Cost of Termite Treatment | Termite Treatment And ... - September 5th, 2017
- Termite Treatment - The Big Green K - September 5th, 2017
- Letter: New construction - Charleston Post Courier - September 5th, 2017
- From cruise ship brewmaster to hurricane hunter, these are some of our unusual jobs - Miami Herald - September 3rd, 2017
- Face of Pest Control - My New Orleans - September 2nd, 2017
- Rochester NY Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - August 31st, 2017
- Council gives $20K to preserve landmarks - Sedona Red Rock News - August 31st, 2017
- Termite Treatments Dallas / Fort Worth - gotbugs.com - August 29th, 2017
- Orange oil termite treatment - Termite Web - August 29th, 2017
- Solving the ecological mystery of Africa's fairy circles - CU Boulder Today - August 25th, 2017
- Md. Couple's Termite Warranty Fails After Their Pest Control Company Is Bought Out - NBC4 Washington - August 25th, 2017
- Patrick Miller Prepares for New School Year at Webster - Malibu Times - August 19th, 2017
- Southwest projects continue to progress - Cassville Democrat - August 19th, 2017
- Leaf cutting ants, fig beetles, can be tough to get rid of - Arizona Daily Star - August 6th, 2017
- School board to meet briefly on Thursday - Davis Enterprise - August 1st, 2017
- Blog: The dampwood termite - Delta-Optimist (blog) - July 11th, 2017
- Pest prevention: Keep water away from the house - GoErie.com - July 8th, 2017
- Experience has Produced a Leader In Omaha ... - Digital Journal - Digital Journal (press release) - July 6th, 2017
- Atlanta Home Goes Green - Builder Magazine - July 6th, 2017
- Upgrading, maintenance of schools - The Star Online - July 2nd, 2017
- NEWS IN BRIEF FOR ST. JOHNS COUNTY, ST. AUGUSTINE & SURROUNDING AREAS - St. Augustine Record - July 2nd, 2017
- Man Broke into Termite Tented Homes, St. Pete Police Say - TB Reporter (registration) (blog) - June 29th, 2017
- With 'Signature' project, Westline, MFar set to create history in Mangaluru - Daijiworld.com - June 22nd, 2017
- Imperial Pest Prevention teaches homeowners about Termite Swarms and How to identify an infestation - satPRnews (press release) - June 7th, 2017
- Candlelight vigil held for victim of alleged DUI hit and run - WPMI Local 15 News - May 21st, 2017
- Head lice killer linked to abnormal behaviour in children - Daily Advertiser - May 17th, 2017
- Call for nationwide termite action plan - Yahoo7 News - May 10th, 2017
- Imperial Pest Prevention Celebrates its 4th Year Anniversary in a unique way - PRUnderground (press release) - May 10th, 2017
- Termite Treatment - stevespestcontrol.com - May 9th, 2017
- Brezden Pest Warns of Increase in Spiders on KSBY-TV - Press ... - Digital Journal - May 6th, 2017
- Spiders, scorpions and centipedes - The Daily Courier - May 5th, 2017
- Mosquitoes in May - Winchester Herald Chronicle - April 26th, 2017
- New Distribution for Poly Plugs - PCT Magazine - April 18th, 2017
- Huge discovery about ants stuns scientists - BABW News - April 13th, 2017
- Post Termite Treatment - McGrath Pest Control - April 10th, 2017
- Why soil treatment with JDI's HomeTrek is vital for a termite-free home - Malaya - April 5th, 2017
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.