Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Its not out of the ordinary to encounter a business whose president and vice president happen to be husband and wife.
But often in those cases, the couple starts the business and gives themselves the top spots.
Bo and Dena Thomas are different.
Starting on the bottom rungs of a pest control company, after more than 20 years the Thomases run the place she as president of Advanced Services, and he as vice president.
Not everyone would relish sharing a workplace with their spouses. But the Thomases not only enjoy it, they also strive to make their workplace more enjoyable for Advanced Services employees.
Its funny, Bo Thomas said. Its never like, Would you please stop talking about work? Its never like that. Were very passionate about the company and our teammates and their families.
Bo, a native of Thomson, comes from a construction background. For two or three years in his late teens, he installed drywall with his brothers . But he desired steadier work.
Construction work was so up-and-down, he said. My father always did it, my brothers always did it. They always got by, but it scared me to death just to have a car payment.
So when a member of his church asked Bo if he knew anyone between the ages of 19 and 22 who would like a full-time job, Bo recommended himself.
That job was with Advanced Services and just before turning 20 he started his pest control career performing chemical termite treatments.
Its a little bit different nowadays because we have baiting systems, but back then we didnt, he said. So it was crawling under houses, trenching, dragging around a 50- or 60-pound hammer drill and drilling into the block, then dragging a hose underneath the house. It was not glamorous work at all and that was all I did.
Dena grew up in cities across the Pacific Northwest. Her work experience includes three years of commercial fishing with her family off the coast of Alaska.
She enrolled at Andrews University in Michigan but made it through only one quarter before realizing that studying until midnight and having to wake up for a 7 a.m. chemistry class was not how she wanted to start a college career. She also was unsure she really wanted to pursue a major in pre-med.
Dena left school to work for a tax preparation firm, but when tax season ended, she was out of a job.
So I ended up working mainly with Kelly Services on the temporary side, she said. I supported myself for two years on that. Theyd move me. Id spend a week here, a week there.
Dena got a longer-term job with a Michigan subsidiary of Koch Industries. But after a friend got a job in Augusta, she was invited to come along.
We had just finished a winter with, six weeks straight, no break in the cloud cover and that heavy lake-effect snow. It was miserable, she said. So the idea of moving somewhere warm was extremely appealing.
She signed with several temp agencies in Augusta, which I always thought was neat because I got to interview at a bunch of different companies and see what they were like from the inside to see if I liked the industry or didnt like the industry, Dena said.
That led her to Castleberrys Food Co. for about six months. But a hiring freeze and a move to an outside sales job couldnt provide her all the benefits of a permanent employee there. So she continued with job interviews, including one at Advanced Services in 1995.
And thats where Dena met Bo.
I was actually waiting for my interview and Bo just happened to come in that day. I was just sitting there waiting, so he asked me if I needed anything, Dena said. I dont remember that because I think I was nervous about the interview, but he remembered it.
I remember what she was wearing, Bo said.
Denas initial job was to answer phones and manage paperwork generated. But not too long after she started, Bo left Advanced Services to work first for a national competitor and later to take over a local route for a company called Pest Patrol for about five years. Bo and Dena still stayed in touch.
During that same time, Dena learned more and more aspects of the pest control business. About a year into the job, Pat VanHooser had started a South Carolina branch of Advanced Services and needed a manager for all the business inside operations. Dena took the job.
When VanHooser returned to work in Augusta a year or so later, Dena became the branch manager in Aiken by default. Dena later returned, too, but a personnel reshuffling eliminated her position at Advanced.
She wasnt gone long. Just three months later, Advanced Services owner Jeff Annis sold Dena the companys South Carolina operation.
I took over the operations on Sept. 1, 2001, and 10 days later 9/11 happened, she said. I really thought over those next two-and-a-half weeks if it was a smart idea to buy a business after the world had just shut down.
A few months later, Dena found herself shorthanded and needed a designated certified operator for her branch a state-required position for someone who knows the ins and outs of the pest control business and could perform any needed service or inspection.
That led her to Bo, whose own business had dropped. He contracted with several apartment complexes and when some of those complexes changed ownership, the new owner declined to renew his contract.
Bo and Dena started running the South Carolina branch together in 2002. By the end of the year, they became husband and wife.
We had a tumultuous first little bit, Dena said. She got pregnant two months after the wedding, then pregnant again exactly one year after that. Rearing two young children while nurturing a business left the couple tired and wore out, she said, by the time 2008 rolled around.
That was the year it was decided for the Augusta and Aiken Advanced Services businesses to remerge into a single business.
In the new combined business, Bo worked in sales and later headed the firms home services division. In 2012, Annis placed Bo in charge of all Advanceds technicians. Dena oversaw all the advertising and marketing efforts, and in 2011 Annis promoted her to chief operating officer.
In June 2016, when Annis retired, Dena became president.
You can call it president/vice president, whatever. Were equal as far thats concerned, Bo said. We collaborate on everything, whether its inside or outside.
Once I started working and actually saw how business works, I fell in love with the process of business, Dena said.
If something ever happened to the business theyre in, she said, wed just go start another business. We both love the process of it the way it works, and making something grow, and helping your people grow. Its pretty cool.
Separating personal issues from professional issues is just another part of the business.
I always feel like weve been pretty much the same. Our goals are the same for the company. Our focus is the same, Dena said. Sometimes you have a personal little tiff about something, but we really try, when we walk in the doors, to realize that everything personal is at home.
Bo said he doesnt understand spouses who say they couldnt work together.
I tell everybody that she tells me what to do at the house and she tells me what to do here. Its no big difference, he said, smiling. Yes dear is the appropriate answer.
Reach Joe Hotchkiss at (706) 823-3543 or email@example.com.
Read the original here:
Wife, husband lead company specializing in pest control – The Augusta Chronicle
- ABC Termite & Pest Control - Locally Owned and Operated - March 10th, 2019
- Kansas City Pest Control - Cole Termite & Pest Control - January 26th, 2019
- Century Termite & Pest Control - 20 Photos & 30 Reviews ... - November 29th, 2018
- Central Termite & Pest Control Odessa, Florida - November 29th, 2018
- Neuse Termite and Pest - Raleigh Pest Control ... - November 29th, 2018
- Charlotte Pest Control: 75 years of Carolina Pest Management - November 9th, 2018
- New Jersey Termite Control | Protect Your Home - November 6th, 2018
- Pest Control Sydney - Micropest. Pest And Termite Inspections. - October 10th, 2018
- Termite Control | Exceed Pest Control - September 29th, 2018
- Termites - Aetna Pest Control - September 29th, 2018
- Norman Termite Exterminator - Norman Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Renton Termite Exterminator - Renton Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Termites and Fire | Phoenix Pest Control - September 29th, 2018
- Free Termite Inspection - kiltertermiteandpestcontrol.com - September 29th, 2018
- Townhouse Fumigation Takes a Good Neighbor | Thrasher ... - September 29th, 2018
- Action - Affordable Pest Control in New Jersey - September 7th, 2018
- 25 Best Pest Control Companies - Fairfax VA | Exterminators - September 4th, 2018
- Pest Control Services in Alexandria, VA - HomeAdvisor.com - August 12th, 2018
- InspectorUSA Termite & Pest Control - July 23rd, 2018
- Pest Control Services Cincinnati OH | Pest Control Service ... - July 8th, 2018
- Price Termites & Pest Control | Broward, Palm Beach and ... - July 8th, 2018
- Green Home Termite & Pest Control - Yelp - June 17th, 2018
- Termite Control | Anti Termite Treatment | Termites Pest ... - June 6th, 2018
- Pest Control Orlando | Lawn Care Services Orlando ... - June 3rd, 2018
- US Termite & Moisture Control, Pest Control, Termite ... - June 3rd, 2018
- Pest Control New Jersey | Bed Bug, Exterminator & Termite ... - June 2nd, 2018
- Senate Termite & Pest Control - Manassas, VA - Yelp - May 13th, 2018
- Best 30 Termite Control in Fairfax, VA with Reviews - YP.com - April 27th, 2018
- Termite | 5 Star Termite & Pest Control - April 24th, 2018
- Termite Control | Clark's Termite & Pest Control | SC - March 2nd, 2018
- Termite Control Service San Angelo, Texas - mdkpest.com - March 2nd, 2018
- Berwick Pest, Ant, Spider & Termite Control | Safe & Reliable - February 28th, 2018
- Termite Control in Orlando & Tampa by Apex Pest Control - February 25th, 2018
- Treatment - Tri-County Termite & Pest Control, Inc. - February 12th, 2018
- Termite and Pest Control Lafayette, LA - J&J Exterminating - February 9th, 2018
- Accurate Termite and Pest Control Releases TermitePro.us, an ... - February 9th, 2018
- Pest Control Solutions - HTP Inc - Tennessee Pest Control - February 3rd, 2018
- Termite Identification - Corky's Pest Control Services in San ... - February 3rd, 2018
- Termite Control | Priority Pest Control - Omaha, NE - February 2nd, 2018
- Pest Control Ipswich Qld | Termite Treatments Ipswich - January 23rd, 2018
- Bed Bug Heat Treatment - Structural Termite & Pest Control - January 21st, 2018
- Termites - Century Pest Control - January 21st, 2018
- Pest Control & Termite Inspections Since 1972 - Structural ... - January 21st, 2018
- Termite Control Products - Termite Treatment | Do My Own Pest ... - January 10th, 2018
- Termite Control, Pest Control, Bee Removal - December 16th, 2017
- Naples Termite and Pest Control Bug Free Services - November 28th, 2017
- Cummings Termite & Pest | 480-994-9599 | Scottsdale ... - November 20th, 2017
- Termite Services | Vulcan Pest Control West Palm Beach, FL - November 20th, 2017
- Termite Control | Lloyd Pest Control - November 20th, 2017
- Termites - HomeTeam Pest Defense - November 20th, 2017
- Price Termite & Pest Control in Brevard, Broward and Palm ... - November 13th, 2017
- Kama'aina Termite And Pest Control | Honolulu, Hawaii Orange ... - November 6th, 2017
- Pest Control Sydney | Termite Treatment & Protection | Pestworks - October 26th, 2017
- Termite Control & Treatment In The Midwest | Plunkett's Pest ... - October 14th, 2017
- Bush Termite and Pest Control - October 6th, 2017
- Professionals Pest and Termite Control in York | BJ Riley ... - September 25th, 2017
- Commissioners scratch for answer to bed bug problem - Salina Journal - September 6th, 2017
- Take On This Termite Season With Able Pest Management, A Local Honolulu Pest Removal Company - PR Web (press release) - September 6th, 2017
- Local pest control company says prevention will keep critters at bay - ABC NEWS 4 - September 2nd, 2017
- Insect Pest Control Market, By Insect Type, Control Method ... - Markets Insider - August 31st, 2017
- Autumn view brings spider webs in plain view - Winchester Herald Chronicle - August 29th, 2017
- KCK car wash owner spots pest control worker illegally dumping rat poison from truck into a bay - fox4kc.com - August 29th, 2017
- Cleveland Gets A Dubious Honor For Its Bed Bug Infestations - Patch.com - August 29th, 2017
- Most Effective Mosquito Advertising - PCT Magazine - August 28th, 2017
- Termite Control - American Pest Management Inc. - August 27th, 2017
- Terminix Releases Top 20 Bed Bug Cities List - Business Wire (press release) - August 27th, 2017
- Termites Problem Solved Pest Control - August 19th, 2017
- Termites | Gillen Pest Control - August 19th, 2017
- Termite Control FAQ | How Do I Know If I Have Termites ... - August 19th, 2017
- Skyline Pest Solutions Acquires Evergreen Termite & Pest Control - PCT Magazine - August 12th, 2017
- Reading-based pest control company continues expansion in Gulf Coast, Midwest - Lehigh Valley Business - August 12th, 2017
- Rentokil Steritech Acquires Fischer Environmental Services - PCT Magazine - August 12th, 2017
- Termite Control - Budget Pest Control - Pittsburgh, PA - August 3rd, 2017
- Termite & Pest Control | Tucson | Phoenix | 5 Star Termite ... - August 3rd, 2017
- Termite Treatment, Building Inspection, Pest Control Services ... - August 3rd, 2017
- Rentokil Steritch Acquires Connor's Termite and Pest Control - PCT Magazine - July 31st, 2017
- Barefoot Pest Control - termite control - July 30th, 2017
- Efficient Ways to Choose the Right Pest and Termite Control Company. - ThyBlackMan - July 30th, 2017
- New Service Opportunities Using Physical Pest Barriers - PCT Magazine - July 30th, 2017
- Rollins, Inc. Enjoys Broad-Based Growth - Madison.com - July 30th, 2017
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.