Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Like any wooden structure in your home, your roof can be vulnerable to damage from termites in the ceiling. Both subterranean and drywood termites can pose a threat to the integrity of your roof, inhabiting areas of your ceiling, including around fireplaces where leaks have occurred and over bathrooms where excessive moisture may be trapped underneath the insulation.
Drywood termites live and feed inside wood. They can establish colonies inside ceiling rafters, roof beams, eaves and other wooden structures associated with your roof. Drywood termites can even establish colonies underneath wood shingles.
Unlike drywood termites, subterranean termites typically build their colonies in the soil. However, subterranean termites will build colonies in any area where they have access to wood. Dampness provides a more conducive environment for infestation, but is not required. All they really need is a way inside your house. Worker termites build “mud tubes” inside of walls and chimneys in order to access food sources. Termites will feed on any substance containing cellulose. Drywall, wallpaper, clothing and even carpet in your home can be susceptible to damage in case of a termite infestation.
The invasive Formosan or “super termite” is the subterranean termite species most likely to construct above-ground colonies in addition to their primary ground nest. Formosan termite colonies can be much larger and more destructive than those formed by native termite species.
While you should rely on a trained professional to inspect and treat any possible termite in ceiling infestations in your home, you can look for the following warning signs:
Loose roof tiles or shingles. Even if your roof does not have wooden shingles, your subroofing almost certainly contains wood.
Bubbling and discoloration similar to water damage on your ceilings.
Any areas of buckling or sagging in your ceilings.
Mounds of what look like tiny wood pellets (termite fecal matter known as “frass”) in your attic and/or underneath your rafters may indicate a drywood termite infestation.
Termite tunnels (aka mud tubes) running up vertical structures outside your home, especially the chimney.
Wood that appears to have been “eaten away” along its grain pattern, contains holes or which sounds hollow when tapped.
The presence of winged termites, living or dead, at points of entry to your home (windows, doors, etc.). If you suspect a termite infestation in your home, also check your attic and around your roof for evidence of winged termites (for example, any termites or termite wings caught in spider webs).
When a termite colony matures, it produces these “swarmers” in an attempt to populate a new colony with a king and queen, the termite responsible for laying eggs. Winged termites are the variety of termite most often seen outside of the actual colony and can be evidence of an existing infestation.
Winged termites may look at first glance like winged ants, but they differ in a number of important respects. Termite wings are often longer than those of ants. Termites have four wings, all of which are the same length. Termite bodies are more rounded than those of ants. Ants have a more pronounced waist and segmented body. Finally, termites have straight antennae. Ant antennae are L-shaped.
You can also take the following preventative measures to protect your roof and ceiling from termite damage:
Paint, stain, seal or otherwise treat any exposed wood on your home’s exterior.
If you are aware of any roof leaks or other damage to your shingles, fascia boards or eaves, have it repaired immediately.
Have any plumbing leaks underneath your home repaired immediately. Do not allow water to collect underneath your home.
Keep your gutters clear of debris to allow for proper drainage.
Make sure your homes entire attic and foundation vents are properly screened.
Do not allow wood debris to accumulate near your home.
Trim any vegetation, such as shrubs, surrounding your home. Do not allow vegetation to become so overgrown that it traps moisture around your foundation or blocks foundation vents. Cut back any tree limbs that are resting on your roof or touching wooden structures such as eaves or window framing.
Avoid the use of mulch close to your home, especially if you have wooden siding.
Take any of the above warning signs seriously, and do not put off contacting a trained pest control technician or agency to get a professional opinion if you find any termite ceiling damage.
- Termite Biz - 21 Photos & 132 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 12th, 2019
- What Termites Can Teach Us About Cooling Our Buildings ... - March 30th, 2019
- Go Pest Bendigo - Termite inspections & treatments - March 12th, 2019
- Top 6 Best Termite Treatments | Updated for 2019 - March 9th, 2019
- Borax, Fleas and Misconceptions | Thrasher Termite & Pest ... - February 12th, 2019
- Termite Control South Africa - pestcontrolpros.co.za - February 2nd, 2019
- Termite Dream Meaning and Interpretations | Dream Stop - January 26th, 2019
- Termite Chemical Information - Termite Specialist - January 24th, 2019
- Alien (creature in Alien franchise) - Wikipedia - January 21st, 2019
- Life With No Males? These Termites Show That Its Possible ... - October 5th, 2018
- Negative Space: Manny Farber On The Movies: Manny Farber ... - September 27th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Spectracide 95853 Terminate ... - September 27th, 2018
- Home | Thrasher Termite and Pest Control -- Best in San Diego - August 24th, 2018
- The Termite Danger Of Stucco And Veneer | Pest Cemetery - August 18th, 2018
- Arizona - Termite Public Service - August 12th, 2018
- Xtermite - 68 Reviews - Pest Control - 10107 Prospect Ave ... - July 1st, 2018
- Drywood Termite Tent Fumigation vs No Tent Termite ... - April 1st, 2018
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor - FiveCentNickel - February 19th, 2018
- Termite Control Stockton CA Call 916-584-9535 Termite ... - January 31st, 2018
- Reviews | Clegg's Termite and Pest Control - January 2nd, 2018
- The pest Company Kordon Termite Barriers - December 29th, 2017
- Termite life cycle: what are the stages, when do eggs ... - December 16th, 2017
- How To Get Rid Of Termites : termites in house | termite ... - November 22nd, 2017
- Consumer Update: Termite Baits - University of Kentucky - October 23rd, 2017
- Termite treatments for inside and around the home - October 1st, 2017
- Columnist Christie Moulton: Impressions of Vietnam, a half century after the war - GazetteNET - September 6th, 2017
- It has a history ... - Palo Alto Online - September 3rd, 2017
- Farce and frivolity | Opinion, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com - Philippine Star - September 2nd, 2017
- Be careful in the company - Valencia County News Bulletin - August 31st, 2017
- Short-term rentals create a long-term problem: soaring taxes for the rest of us - The Lens - August 26th, 2017
- Turnout low at first public hearing on Killeen budget - The Killeen Daily Herald - August 24th, 2017
- 'Nuno sa' internet - Inquirer.net - July 12th, 2017
- A 'Nature School' for curious visitors - The Hindu - July 6th, 2017
- I spent three days as a hunter-gatherer to see if it would improve my gut health - eNCA (satire) - July 4th, 2017
- Editorial: Gigs and garlands - News Chief - July 4th, 2017
- Editorial: Gigs and garlands - The Ledger - July 3rd, 2017
- Adjudicated, blighted property eyed by city - Crowley Post-Signal - June 28th, 2017
- Javed Akhtar, Paresh Rawal react to lynching cases | The Indian ... - The Indian Express - June 24th, 2017
- Termite Inspections: Pre Home Buying Termite Inspection - June 22nd, 2017
- Hospital Hoarding Announces NO Commission to Doctors, rakes ... - Medical Dialogues - June 19th, 2017
- Robert Lamoureux: Your Home Improvement - Santa Clarita Valley Signal - June 18th, 2017
- Mike James: The human factor - The Independent - June 16th, 2017
- Hospital Hoarding Announces NO Commission to Doctors, rakes controversy - Medical Dialogues - June 14th, 2017
- The bond between animals and man - The Straits Times - June 13th, 2017
- Opinion: Mexico's hellish drug war is getting worse, but why? - The Yucatan Times - June 10th, 2017
- The growing danger of terrorism - The Manila Times - June 6th, 2017
- The joys of living encased in concrete block: Letters - Orlando Sentinel - June 3rd, 2017
- Frequently Asked Questions - Specialist Termite Control - June 1st, 2017
- Cowboys May Ride Off Into It - New York Times - June 1st, 2017
- African desert has its own X-files - Independent Online - May 30th, 2017
- Something bigger than ourselves - Lake Country Calendar - May 25th, 2017
- Termite FAQ - DIY - Dr Don's Termite Pages - May 24th, 2017
- Kato Secondary School - Stabroek News - Stabroek News - May 24th, 2017
- Kato Secondary School - Stabroek News - May 21st, 2017
- 'Problem Home,' Chapter 2: A history of challenging local government - Los Angeles Times - May 19th, 2017
- FAGERLUND: Bugman explains pests - Rio Rancho Observer - May 15th, 2017
- LOWEST PRICE FOR VIAGRA 100MG - cialis prescription online - State Column - May 12th, 2017
- Community needs to support Etowah facility efforts - The Daily Post-Athenian - May 11th, 2017
- Neighbors want Miami commission to scuttle part of Avra Jain and Mattoni's Bayside Motor Inn redevelopment - The Real Deal Magazine - May 9th, 2017
- SIMON LINCOLN READER: Let Malikane be hoist by his own penchant for revolution - Business Day (registration) - May 5th, 2017
- Letter: Trump's talk heightens concerns - SW News Media - May 4th, 2017
- Blog: The Pacific dampwood termite - Delta-Optimist (blog) - April 26th, 2017
- McGregor managing to excel as a coach, despite working for Dragons - The Roar - April 22nd, 2017
- FAGERLUND: The ants are marching one by one... Stop 'em! - Rio Rancho Observer - April 16th, 2017
- Baiting ants - Valencia County News Bulletin - April 13th, 2017
- Our view: Watered-down septic bill barely better than nothing - TCPalm - April 7th, 2017
- Beauty and the feast - The Independent - April 7th, 2017
- New EPA administrator refuses to ban pesticide chlorpyrifos - Food Safety News - April 6th, 2017
- The science is clear; the solution is more complex - Thegardenisland.com - April 4th, 2017
- A risk-taker at 25 - Business Mirror - April 3rd, 2017
- Chemical Information - Termite Specialist - March 25th, 2017
- SXSW Film 2017 - Tiny Mix Tapes - March 24th, 2017
- Steve Hansen: Sifting through the recycling issue - Lodi News-Sentinel - March 23rd, 2017
- Impeachment stupidities | Inquirer Opinion - Inquirer.net - March 22nd, 2017
- Robredo called 'termite of government' in impeach complaint - Inquirer.net - March 22nd, 2017
- Marcos loyalist files impeachment complaint vs Leni - Philippine Star - March 21st, 2017
- Answer Man: Historic Thomas Wolfe cabin set for rehab? - Asheville Citizen-Times - March 16th, 2017
- Crumbling building a potent wake-up call - Charleston Post Courier - March 12th, 2017
- Cats of Istanbul get their close-up in 'Kedi' - Asbury Park Press - March 11th, 2017
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: State builders express distaste for Fallin's ... - Norman Transcript - March 9th, 2017
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.