Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
We were shocked recently to read a veterinarians DIY all natural solution to kill fleas in a home. She recommend sprinkling borax on couches, carpet, chairs, and anywhere there was a flea problem. What caused this educated professional to give such very bad advice? Sloppy research. The internet is full of really bad advice, especially when it comes to harmless home remedies. Borax does not kill fleas. Sprinkling borax willy-nilly around a house is not harmless, particular if one has pets or small children. Ready for a well researched answer to the borax question? Read on.
First, lets use words carefully: Boron is a naturally occurring element that is mined and processed into-
Borax (sodium tetraborate decahydrate), a water soluble laundry booster, and
Boric Acid, an ingredient in pest control products
Borax and boric acid come from the same element, but have different properties.
Second, the words naturally occurring apply equally to boron as to uranium and asbestosother naturally occurring elements. All Natural and Naturally Occurring do not mean non-toxic. While boron is in a totally different toxicity class than asbestos and uranium, the comparison is made to help you avoid the trap of unscrupulous marketeers who use the phrase all natural as a synonym for good or healthful.
Borax powder has low toxicity to humans. It is in fact, a really good laundry booster and does a fabulous job of cleaning sinks and tubs. Many of our staff regularly use borax powder diluted in water as recommended by the manufacturer and listed on the box: as a laundry booster and general cleansing agent. While low in toxicity to humans, borax powder should not be inhaled, ingested, or left in contact with the skin or eyes. According to the CDC, borax exposure may cause irritation of the skin, eyes and respiratory tract, and nose bleeds and breathing difficulty.Ingestion of borax powder is associated with nausea, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. The International Chemical Safety Card for borax specifically recommends preventing the dispersion of borax dust and that pregnant women especially should avoid exposure.
Knowing this, why would anyone think that sprinkling borax powder around the house is a good idea? No one should breathe this stuff! Yet, thats exactly what pets will do when snuffling around a borax dusted house. Children may also accidentally inhale borax powder and become ill. The only organisms that borax powder wont bother are insects. Borax powder will not dehydrate insects, nor will insects willingly eat borax powderthats plain silly.
Keep borax powder, where it belongsin the laundry room. Use it as directed, always diluted with water or made into a paste.
Recall when we said to use words carefully? Many of the misconceptions about borax as an insecticide come from the fact that both borax and boric acid are derived from the same element, boron. However these chemicals have different properties.Boric acid and sodium borate salts are active ingredients inpesticides. They areharmful to pests and are ingredients in many baits and other pest control products. In baits, boric acid is combined with other ingredients that insects find tasty.Boric acid acts as a stomach poison and may also have some toxic effects on the nervous system of insects. In additionto being stomach poisons, most borate salts are also abrasive to insect exoskeletons.
The boric acid technical fact sheet from the National Pesticide Information Center states:
Acute ingestion of boric acid or borate salts in humans has rarely led to severe toxicity. Commonly reported symptoms include nausea, vomiting (often with blue-green coloration), abdominal pain and diarrhea (which may contain blood or have a blue-green color). Other less commonly reported symptoms include headaches, lethargy, weakness, restlessness, tremors, unconsciousness, respiratory depression, kidney failure, shock and death.
In other words, dont eat products containing boric acid and keep them out of reach of children and pets. Boric acid is categorized as having low toxicity to humans, but it can still make you sick. Always follow the label when using products containing boric acid or any other pesticide. Remember, if a product isnt toxic, it wont kill pests! So if you want to kill fleas, ants, cockroaches or other pests you will need toxic products. Use as directed to protect yourself and your family.
It was difficult to film a cockroach feeding on bait containing boric acid because Thrasher Termite & Pest Control technicians applied the bait in an area inaccessible to children and pets and cameras!
- Termite Control South Africa - pestcontrolpros.co.za - February 2nd, 2019
- Termite Dream Meaning and Interpretations | Dream Stop - January 26th, 2019
- Termite Chemical Information - Termite Specialist - January 24th, 2019
- Alien (creature in Alien franchise) - Wikipedia - January 21st, 2019
- Life With No Males? These Termites Show That Its Possible ... - October 5th, 2018
- Negative Space: Manny Farber On The Movies: Manny Farber ... - September 27th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Spectracide 95853 Terminate ... - September 27th, 2018
- Home | Thrasher Termite and Pest Control -- Best in San Diego - August 24th, 2018
- The Termite Danger Of Stucco And Veneer | Pest Cemetery - August 18th, 2018
- Arizona - Termite Public Service - August 12th, 2018
- Xtermite - 68 Reviews - Pest Control - 10107 Prospect Ave ... - July 1st, 2018
- Drywood Termite Tent Fumigation vs No Tent Termite ... - April 1st, 2018
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor - FiveCentNickel - February 19th, 2018
- Termite Control Stockton CA Call 916-584-9535 Termite ... - January 31st, 2018
- Reviews | Clegg's Termite and Pest Control - January 2nd, 2018
- The pest Company Kordon Termite Barriers - December 29th, 2017
- Termite life cycle: what are the stages, when do eggs ... - December 16th, 2017
- How To Get Rid Of Termites : termites in house | termite ... - November 22nd, 2017
- Consumer Update: Termite Baits - University of Kentucky - October 23rd, 2017
- Termite treatments for inside and around the home - October 1st, 2017
- Columnist Christie Moulton: Impressions of Vietnam, a half century after the war - GazetteNET - September 6th, 2017
- It has a history ... - Palo Alto Online - September 3rd, 2017
- Farce and frivolity | Opinion, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com - Philippine Star - September 2nd, 2017
- Be careful in the company - Valencia County News Bulletin - August 31st, 2017
- Short-term rentals create a long-term problem: soaring taxes for the rest of us - The Lens - August 26th, 2017
- Turnout low at first public hearing on Killeen budget - The Killeen Daily Herald - August 24th, 2017
- 'Nuno sa' internet - Inquirer.net - July 12th, 2017
- A 'Nature School' for curious visitors - The Hindu - July 6th, 2017
- I spent three days as a hunter-gatherer to see if it would improve my gut health - eNCA (satire) - July 4th, 2017
- Editorial: Gigs and garlands - News Chief - July 4th, 2017
- Editorial: Gigs and garlands - The Ledger - July 3rd, 2017
- Adjudicated, blighted property eyed by city - Crowley Post-Signal - June 28th, 2017
- Javed Akhtar, Paresh Rawal react to lynching cases | The Indian ... - The Indian Express - June 24th, 2017
- Termite Inspections: Pre Home Buying Termite Inspection - June 22nd, 2017
- Hospital Hoarding Announces NO Commission to Doctors, rakes ... - Medical Dialogues - June 19th, 2017
- Robert Lamoureux: Your Home Improvement - Santa Clarita Valley Signal - June 18th, 2017
- Mike James: The human factor - The Independent - June 16th, 2017
- Hospital Hoarding Announces NO Commission to Doctors, rakes controversy - Medical Dialogues - June 14th, 2017
- The bond between animals and man - The Straits Times - June 13th, 2017
- Opinion: Mexico's hellish drug war is getting worse, but why? - The Yucatan Times - June 10th, 2017
- The growing danger of terrorism - The Manila Times - June 6th, 2017
- The joys of living encased in concrete block: Letters - Orlando Sentinel - June 3rd, 2017
- Frequently Asked Questions - Specialist Termite Control - June 1st, 2017
- Cowboys May Ride Off Into It - New York Times - June 1st, 2017
- African desert has its own X-files - Independent Online - May 30th, 2017
- Something bigger than ourselves - Lake Country Calendar - May 25th, 2017
- Termite FAQ - DIY - Dr Don's Termite Pages - May 24th, 2017
- Kato Secondary School - Stabroek News - Stabroek News - May 24th, 2017
- Kato Secondary School - Stabroek News - May 21st, 2017
- 'Problem Home,' Chapter 2: A history of challenging local government - Los Angeles Times - May 19th, 2017
- FAGERLUND: Bugman explains pests - Rio Rancho Observer - May 15th, 2017
- LOWEST PRICE FOR VIAGRA 100MG - cialis prescription online - State Column - May 12th, 2017
- Community needs to support Etowah facility efforts - The Daily Post-Athenian - May 11th, 2017
- Neighbors want Miami commission to scuttle part of Avra Jain and Mattoni's Bayside Motor Inn redevelopment - The Real Deal Magazine - May 9th, 2017
- SIMON LINCOLN READER: Let Malikane be hoist by his own penchant for revolution - Business Day (registration) - May 5th, 2017
- Letter: Trump's talk heightens concerns - SW News Media - May 4th, 2017
- Blog: The Pacific dampwood termite - Delta-Optimist (blog) - April 26th, 2017
- McGregor managing to excel as a coach, despite working for Dragons - The Roar - April 22nd, 2017
- FAGERLUND: The ants are marching one by one... Stop 'em! - Rio Rancho Observer - April 16th, 2017
- Baiting ants - Valencia County News Bulletin - April 13th, 2017
- Our view: Watered-down septic bill barely better than nothing - TCPalm - April 7th, 2017
- Beauty and the feast - The Independent - April 7th, 2017
- New EPA administrator refuses to ban pesticide chlorpyrifos - Food Safety News - April 6th, 2017
- The science is clear; the solution is more complex - Thegardenisland.com - April 4th, 2017
- A risk-taker at 25 - Business Mirror - April 3rd, 2017
- Chemical Information - Termite Specialist - March 25th, 2017
- SXSW Film 2017 - Tiny Mix Tapes - March 24th, 2017
- Steve Hansen: Sifting through the recycling issue - Lodi News-Sentinel - March 23rd, 2017
- Impeachment stupidities | Inquirer Opinion - Inquirer.net - March 22nd, 2017
- Robredo called 'termite of government' in impeach complaint - Inquirer.net - March 22nd, 2017
- Marcos loyalist files impeachment complaint vs Leni - Philippine Star - March 21st, 2017
- Answer Man: Historic Thomas Wolfe cabin set for rehab? - Asheville Citizen-Times - March 16th, 2017
- Crumbling building a potent wake-up call - Charleston Post Courier - March 12th, 2017
- Cats of Istanbul get their close-up in 'Kedi' - Asbury Park Press - March 11th, 2017
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: State builders express distaste for Fallin's ... - Norman Transcript - March 9th, 2017
- Frank Clancy: A plan to make Armstrong great again - Savannah Morning News - March 3rd, 2017
- Frank Clancy's plan to make Armstrong great again - Savannah Morning News - March 2nd, 2017
- Pre Home Buying Termite Inspections - Orkin.com - February 24th, 2017
- All In To Beat the Conehead Termite - PCT Magazine - February 24th, 2017
- AT LARGE: So you want to sell your house ... - Montgomery Newspapers - February 24th, 2017
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.